Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Banner Design Contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

#26 Solmyr

Solmyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 09:17 AM

As a treat, I'll let you see the current banner entries. The entries are viewable at: http://www.angelfire...rgiven/home.htm look at the news posting click on the link there. The banner entry page might load slowly due to the large number of pictures on it. Underdog's GIF was too much! :wink:

#27 Solmyr

Solmyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 01:42 AM

The Clan Website is down for a whole revamp so you can't view the entries anymore. :(

So watch this space for winning entries. Also I'll email to winner if I can.

#28 Underdog

Underdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 08:33 AM

I sent mine as uncompressed as possible, I could make it smaller so it loads faster as I suggested in the e-mail I sent with it. I didn't want to lose any quality though.

#29 Awen

Awen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 11:29 AM

let's put it this way... i don't think anyone is gonna want to choose an 800k banner (but who knows? someone might). and if as you say, the quality goes down after compression, i think it'd be fairer to judge on the quality we're going to be using instead of the display quality.

#30 Guest_lothos_*

Guest_lothos_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2003 - 12:33 PM

GIF and PNG use lossless compression, so whoever sent an uncompressed GIF is dumb.

#31 Underdog

Underdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 01:57 PM

Depends on the type of compression you use oh great and wise Lothos.

#32 Underdog

Underdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 02:21 PM

I was making moreso reference to optimizing it (palettes, reducing frames, etc), not actual compression, perhaps I should have been more specific. I created a 200k one to show you, the difference is virtually undetectable. I think with a little more optimizing I could possibly get it to around 150k-180k, I made one that was 72k but with too great a loss of quality.

#33 Guest_karla_*

Guest_karla_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2003 - 12:44 PM

I was incredibly bored. So I entered 4 times.
Quality not quantity, I was messign around, so I doubt if I'll win anything

#34 Solmyr

Solmyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 06:05 AM

My Clan Website has completed it's revamp. So current entries can be viewedhere..

#35 Solmyr

Solmyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 09:06 AM

My Clan Site has changed its location to
http://clan-unforgiv...t.com/index.htm

Look for the news posting which has a link to the contest page.

#36 Guest_lothos_*

Guest_lothos_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2003 - 10:06 AM

Oh JOY a flash site! Why do I even bother with an HTML browser when I could just browse the world as flash!

#37 Salanth

Salanth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1329 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 02:36 PM

Why does the Unforgiven forum have to be on that stupid site that doesn't like popup killers? :evil:

#38 Guest_lothos_*

Guest_lothos_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2003 - 05:57 PM

A better question is ... Why does the MM community need another forum?

#39 Guest_zarath_*

Guest_zarath_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2003 - 10:05 PM

Your old site was faster than your new one, and they both have just as many popups. Why did you change?

#40 Solmyr

Solmyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 09:23 AM

Eh? The new site has less pop-ups. It only has one when I load the frameset (4frames). Angelfire loads 4 pop-ups (4 frames, 1 each). I admit it loads slower, but I think that only applies to the initial load when you have to load the four frames. When browsing you are only loading one frame at the time. I apologise for the increase initial load time.

With regard to Zarath's question about the forums. The forums were meant for clan member or clan alliance or even friends of clan members to use. Although we won't stop others from posting in the public forums there. So we aren't going to promote this MB to anyone. "Secret" Info is passed though the password restricted board on the forum.

#41 Solmyr

Solmyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 09:29 AM

Lothos, why are you so anti-Flash? Are you concerned about those who don't have the Flash plug-in?

I'll try to include a text navigation option later.

Please don't be so harsh on me :(
I'm not really some pro web designer. Honestly this is my first serious attempt at creating a site. I just know some html and started cracking when the clan needed a site. So if you people have any suggestions on how the site can be improved, please don't hesitate to tell me. :)

#42 Guest_zarath_*

Guest_zarath_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2003 - 09:51 AM

I never said anything about your forums. If you want them, by all means have them. :P

As for the slowness, I found every page loading was much slower.

I also think both had the same popups (I got 1 for each frame) maybe because I close every popup instantly, never the less it's extremely annoying. :P

As for improvements, I definitely think you need a non-flash version. It's also very hard to read any information on your site since the "information" frame is so tiny and requires quite a lot of browsing each time you change page.

#43 Awen

Awen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 06:33 PM

*blindfolds solmyr for a while*

i agree, but shhhhhhhhhhhh :mrgreen:

#44 Solmyr

Solmyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 06:55 PM

Ok...I'll see if I can size the information frame to make it bigger. This is already a known issue to me because I created the site on a 1280x1024 resolution so everything sort of fit together. I wasn't thinking abouth other resolutions at that time :(

#45 Solmyr

Solmyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 07:07 PM

Also I changed hosts because the current one supported PHP and a mysql account.

The reason why they appear to have the same number of pop-ups (1) is because although angelfire loads 4 pop-ups, each pop-up loads in the same window so they keep loading over each other is you get what i mean. So if you don't try to close anything, You'll end up with 1 pop-up.

Ok enough discussion about the host.

Reminder the contest ends 27 June. Please send in complete entries to the email address stated in my first post.

#46 Guest_clarriker_*

Guest_clarriker_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2003 - 03:04 PM

So - who's won?

#47 Solmyr

Solmyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 05:13 PM

I live in a different part of the world so it's hard to be online at 12 midnight. I'm lookingg at them now. Clan members are vote Now! 8)

#48 Solmyr

Solmyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 06:06 PM

And the winner is Ascidiella!

Please send Solmyr a tell in-game to collect your prize.

#49 Guest_necrovik_*

Guest_necrovik_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2003 - 03:15 AM

Congrats Ascid.

#50 Guest_clarriker_*

Guest_clarriker_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2003 - 07:12 PM

Cooll - post a link to the winning baner? Why dont you place rankings as well of how popular each banner was? :mrgreen: