Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Re: Lasler Newbie Trial

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 Mccloud

Mccloud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:11 PM

This thread was missing its parent, so this placeholder message was created in its place. No more orphans! :)

#2 Mccloud

Mccloud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 March 2001 - 04:08 AM

can we please have a NEWBIE trial, sylvaer claims he done the trial very quickly so so should i.
but hes a bloody imm

I AM A NEWBIE, LASLER IS A NEWBIE TOWNE.
THEREFORE CAN WE HAVE A NEWBIE TRIAL!

#3 Vlamcer

Vlamcer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 30 March 2001 - 08:24 AM

Reffering to Sylvaer with "he" made me shiver...

=>BrrrrrrrR<=

#4 Guest_trent_*

Guest_trent_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2001 - 11:45 AM

I absoloutely hate rumor mongering. A good amount of this is completely unfounded
and frankly a bit annoying. The leaf repopping has nothing to do with time at all,
that was changed a long time ago. It used to be severely limited because I wanted
to limit the trials being done. This is not intended to be a huge stat boost or a
give away. The leaf will be there when the dragon decides to put it there. It is
not time based, it is not on any interval. The dragon has a relatively complex set
of behaviors he goes through which include eating, sleeping, hunting, and of course
hoarding treasure like any self respecting draconian. Again he will do these things
when he feels like it, they are not on any schedule.

As for difficulty you exxagerate extremely, if you are having that much trouble
you are doing something wrong. I created an elf ranger to test this trial last time
I made tweaks, I rolled him with average stats and he never left Lasler. Never had
any potions or wands and he had no troubles at all going through. In addition
there is not one trial there are two you can do. Both these are designed to make
you play the game, to get into it, to roleplay it a bit for that matter. The complaints
I hear are not from the newbies they are from old players that feel a sense of entitlement
and just want to get through things as quickly as possible. It is supposed to offer
a challenge, that is the idea. I don't know of anyone who has created just one
character ever in this game. Lasler is an area your average newbie will come back
through a good 4-5 times. Virtually everyone tries a number of characters at first
finding one that works well for them and refining each time.

Similarly if you've been doing the first trial for the past 3 months, of COURSE you
are going to be getting impatient with it, go somewhere else, do something else.
The setup in Lasler generally benefits those who bother to interact with the NPCs
and to read the descriptions of thr rooms, mobs and objects they run across.
Unfortunately, as with anything, once a few have solved the area, it gets spread
around and then people get spoiled by having the hard work done by someone
else. When that happens you generally get a group of people with a very superficial
understanding of the dynamics.

In some ways I'm almost sorry we have the message boards, it changes people's
focus from solving things to complaining about them. I don't mind feedback,
I modify things all the time for what I see as valid points but right now Lasler
is very close to what I want. The game is the thing, the fun part is figuring
things out and trying to complete thm. Once you have the challenge is gone.

An area needs to have some long term playability, particularly the first and most
often visited in the game. Also in that vein I will change things in the area.
Most people that are hindered in Lasler are older players that don't grasp that
things have changed. I have old players that can't even find the first trial
because its in an area of Lasler that didn't use have anything notable about it.
Just play the area, it has been designed very specifically and there are reasons
behind what I've done there. Most will not be apparent but you just have to
take my word on that.

-T-

#5 Knightotri

Knightotri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 30 March 2001 - 03:41 PM

Blah, dam it.. just wrote a huge post and explorer crashed. So this one is going to be short.

First im a fairly old player and i completed both trials without any help.

Second Trent is right, its posible to do the quests without any help if you do the right one.

Third. Sugestion, Trent try making a psionic alt, all their attacking spells deal pyshical damage, thus making it imposible for them to cast anything on the mage trial (slug) so i think this needs to be changed, or at least helped by starting psionics of with a magic wand maybe? this would allow them to do the trial as well.

Knight

#6 Guest_trent_*

Guest_trent_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2001 - 09:50 PM

A Psi can read the magic dart scrolls you can get off the mages in the caverns,
psionics do get magical items skill.

-T-

#7 Knightotri

Knightotri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 30 March 2001 - 10:22 PM

True, but its still alot harder since the magic darts scrolls do 1/2 if not less then the spell does. So it would take around 10 scrolls to beat the slug and by the time of weilding them spamming use scroll till you dont lose concentration. The person could be dead.

Knight

#8 Guest_valery_*

Guest_valery_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2001 - 11:49 PM

First I would like to say I love this mud.. MM. Its to good to just call it a mud.

This is my first char (thou I am not new to muds by any means)and I had no prob making it throu the quest. It took me about three trys but I made it throu without help. In fact I refused help. I felt it would ruin the feel of MM. Thair are many many muds where you start with no help, and no message board. I have been on a few where you dont even start out with a light.
My point being that the newbies on this mud (Erm.. MM) are pampered. I mean a quest that can raise a stat. How great is that. The fact that you even get that chance should be more than enuf.

To end the abuse of this quest I think the quest item should be no transfer no drop and no auction.

this will piss a lot of people off, GOOD. It will force people to go play the game instead. It will also give the real newbies a chance to do the quest.

A little ticked at all the complaints (Hermm.. I think that means Im ticked at myself now. I sposs this is a complaint.)

Valery

#9 Guest_corevant_*

Guest_corevant_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2001 - 05:38 PM

I've had many alts go through teh trial, the leaf one anyway. I found parts of it easy, the majority of my characters being fey or sidhe and so having magical fade.. Killing the dryad and zombie was no problem for my level 2 fey barbarian Lexicon. Once Lexicon was level 6, it took him about 30 minutes wandering through the forest to find the dragon cave, he got the leaf and recalled, then quite easily found the way to the dryad who asks you the question to get to the old druid. I tried to kill the spider, doing 14 damage with my axe, having about 50 or 60 hp, and having magical fade at 25%. I died very quickly is all i can say. I was not abel to flee, and the spider had two attacks. I gathered up about 25 navy scrolls from the caverns, and attempted the mage quest. I had used all by 3 scrolls and killed the slime, using about 15 or so minutes of time to do this, having magical items at 7%. No problem. I tried the ghost trial thing. 5 times. Could not figure it out at all. Even with help. So i gave up. Made a fey wizard, forgot his name. He did the leaf trial, having magic dart at 75% with about 200 sp. Everytime he got low on sp he fled and slept, then came back. After repeating this process 15 or 16 times, he killed the slime. I find this odd that a barbarian, using scrolls, could use 22 and kill the slime, while a wizard using magic dart 4 or 5 times every time he faced the slime in 15 or 16 different times attacking took more time. I again tried the ghost trial. about 4 times then i gave up again. The first trial is easy, for the slime and thief anyway. ( never tried the thief though, he just sounds easier by what people have said.) The spider was extremely hard. I would think that unless having either a rich "mule" or an accomplished alt to finance the newbie char, you would not be able to defeat the spider. My 2 cents.

#10 Guest_mookiekatz_*

Guest_mookiekatz_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2001 - 07:32 PM

heh........
I started a new char. I went and did the trial and killed the big spider dude just fine. Ya just gotta be lvl 5 or 6 to do it. Heh I donno bout wizards though. Heh!

bawk!
mookiesters

#11 Guest_trent_*

Guest_trent_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2001 - 09:04 PM

The book you get that can raise a stat is no-auction etc :) As for the 2nd trial
once you figure out how to do it its not that difficult. As a side note the puzzle
changes every time so you can't just solve it once, you have to solve it every
time. Although you can develop a strategy for it that makes it quite easy.

-T-

#12 Quiet

Quiet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 31 March 2001 - 09:09 PM

i think there was an old board game that's just like the second trial, called mastermind.. fun!

#13 Guest_trent_*

Guest_trent_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2001 - 09:53 PM

Yea I've heard that comment before, I am not familiar with teh game so can't
comment, had anotherone say it was very 7th guest. *shrug* in either way
I'm going for some more puzzling elements for my areas to compliment the
normal get keys/artifacts/objects of some type to get to bignastymobguywithbigeq.

-T-

#14 Quiet

Quiet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 31 March 2001 - 10:36 PM

for god's sake, don't make him too nasty. sea hag is SUCH A @*&$@#(*&@. mom dark summon elementals cpk player move repeat ad nauseum (quickly). with the occasional armageddon, firebolt, etc. cpk makes quiet cry :~(

#15 Lexicon

Lexicon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 April 2001 - 04:16 PM

Made a new character, a fey valkyrie, who completed the leaf trial very easily. And for the ghost trial, I repeatedly moved from the westerna dn teh eastern rune to the central rune until i had three runes lighting up... then i ran over to the far eastern and back, until i had three again... walked west and got four... It seems hard at first, but once i got three by continualy moving east and west from the center i was able to complete it. Didn't take that much time either.

#16 Guest_tonesta_*

Guest_tonesta_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2001 - 06:38 AM

I didnt bother reading all the posts but last time i checked, i used hand to hand on the mage and it did damage and i beat him fairly easy and i used magic dart scrolls on the warrior and i didnt need to use any heal potions, plus i had a hand axe =P

#17 Guest_kiruto_*

Guest_kiruto_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2001 - 04:35 PM

You know, it's not really all that necessary to do the trial, either. You can always roll until you have decent wisdom, and then use most of your 250 practices to train wisdom. You'll get decent pracs every time you level, leaving you with plenty of practices to train your stats and practice stuff.

Oh, and by the way. Stop making Quiet cry! *pet Quiet*

Kiruto

#18 Quiet

Quiet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 04 April 2001 - 04:41 PM

yeh, quiet's not cryin anymore cuz QUIET'S NOT GOING TO SEA HAG ANYMORE. every person i've asked since the reboot said "no, i didn't notice what spells she was casting, i was too busy looting myself". SCREW DAT

#19 Guest_surchir_*

Guest_surchir_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2001 - 11:46 PM

I restarted my character unfortunatly I forgot to transfer my 2 million gold and my old school secure bag when I did it but oh well it's just a text game. I created a dwarf wizard, trained hp to 100, maxxed sword, had someone go get me a small sword from rune and I was able to kill the spider fairly easily at level 5. I would say the trial is definetly not hard. If at all w/ a slight amount of planning it is quite easy.

-have a nice day
-surchir

#20 Worf

Worf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 April 2001 - 12:12 AM

*LOL* gotta hate that.

#21 Guest_surchir_*

Guest_surchir_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2001 - 12:22 AM

actually I do really care... (unlike most people I just go ok.. I screwed. *Blank Stare* lol :)

-surchir

#22 Guest_surchir_*

Guest_surchir_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2001 - 12:27 AM

do=do not Sorry I messed up my englished there and I meant messed up.

#23 Worf

Worf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 April 2001 - 10:07 PM

Board: Questers, Inc.
Date: 04-05-2001 01:27 am
Author: Surchir
Subject: Re: Lasler Newbie Trial
do=do not Sorry I messed up my englished there and I meant messed up.

Your correction made less sense than your error.

#24 Guest_surchir_*

Guest_surchir_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2001 - 10:52 PM

That was the point I was being sarcastic. (althouhgt I was not about my equipment). I truly do not care about it. This whole post does not even make sense to me.. Exspecially when half the people posting are Hero's or Archon's!!

-The master of confusion
Surchir

#25 Guest_lakar_*

Guest_lakar_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2001 - 06:40 PM

ok I am a true newbie and I did only want to
create one character. so I created a human
paladain, a character that I thought would be
fun to play. Didn't know if he would be weak or
not just thought he would be fun to play. Stats
were decent so I started, heard about the
quest and tried to complete it. Was only able
to find the way down to the third level of the
dungeon by mapping then when I got to the
doors I tried the warrior. Thought this was the
only one I could do, since my character was a
warrior. Didn't even come colse to beating
him and that was with a bastard sword at 75%
training and a strength of 13. Attempted it
several times, once with a short sword that a
friend gave me. (killing the troll to get to rune
was not possible) Still couldn't complete it
even with healing potions. Was attempting it
again when I got warped (finding the dragon
cave can be a bitch)

Didn't even know until reading here that you
coud use the leafs for magical properties.
How would you find this out? Do you look
leaf? I found the quest challenging, but I
thought that was a good thing, did get a bit
annoying toward the end, but is much better
than the telliurian tours quests-these are
much more "newbie" and so are boring for
anyone who has been through laslar.

Personaly the leaf quest should be in tell
instead of the tours quest and the tours quest
should be in laslar. The two "quests" you get
from the mayor are much more what I
consider newbie quests and are nice, thank