Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

- - - - -

MM Website Competition 2k4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_zarath_*

Guest_zarath_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2004 - 06:55 PM

If the same people win each year, maybe people should start putting some effort into the websites? I know the personal sites don't have the same people competing each year. And ChaoS site has only won 2 years in a row, 2nd/3rd places both changed...

Zarath

#27 Extemper

Extemper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4096 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:01 PM

I think it is way too early for website competition...
We have dead sites that keep winning because they add a new feature every 3 months.
We have retarded sites that get rewards just for entering.
And then you have sites like pkzone that use your ip address to do certain things (cough).

I think the competition should exist only when there is competiton.
New categories...wtf?
There's not even enough for the ones that exist already.

#28 Guest_zarath_*

Guest_zarath_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2004 - 07:05 PM

Way too early? It's the 9th month of the year. I personally think it should have been done during the summer to allow people to spend time on it... Hopefully people had the foresight to start building their sites back then.

If you're going to complain about new features added every month, how about you start suggesting stuff for sites to add? It's not like there's an infinite amount of possibilities... Or better yet, make it yourself.

Zarath

#29 Olf

Olf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1765 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 11:12 PM

I have a pk tracker!!! Well it's almost done, woop woop.

#30 Guest_zarath_*

Guest_zarath_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2004 - 11:40 PM

Heh, I could easily have added one of those, but a lot of higher level PKers seem to severely dispise them and attribute them as a large reason to the decline in PKing.

Zarath

#31 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 12:01 AM

Maybe a new rule should be implemented whereby a website cannot win the same place/category two years running.

#32 Guest_zarath_*

Guest_zarath_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2004 - 12:29 AM

Why should a rule be added for that? People put time and effort into their sites and if theirs are better than the rest, obviously they've put more time into them... It's ridiculous to limit what they can win because other people aren't willing to put effort into what they make. Or as much effort.

Zarath

#33 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 12:38 AM

Because alot of contests work that way.

#34 Extemper

Extemper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4096 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 06:48 AM

I like scrooge's idea.

#35 Olf

Olf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1765 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 12:25 PM

And you'll like my pk tracker even more. :santa:

#36 Extemper

Extemper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4096 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 01:42 PM

Why should a rule be added for that? People put time and effort into their sites and if theirs are better than the rest, obviously they've put more time into them... It's ridiculous to limit what they can win because other people aren't willing to put effort into what they make. Or as much effort

Nice assumption. Although I am sure you are too thick to understand the concept that time doesn't equate sucess.

You have barely changed your site, but expect prizes?

#37 Ciali

Ciali

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 07:10 PM

I dont think its fair to limit a site from winning, if it is the best, simply because it won the year before.

However, I think there should be a separate category in the information websites. One for larger sites and one for smaller ones. I see a lot of nice informational websites, created by players, that would never win because they are smaller in scope than AO of PkZone or such sites. I think the all-encompassing websites should have one category, and smaller more focussed websites should have another category to compete in . . .

That was the biggest change I thought of last year when the winners were announced. I think AO and PKZone are both great and important websites, and should win awards, but that just doesnt give anyone else a chance.

Also, I think anyone who submits a website that MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE CONTEST should get the vandy orb or whatever for entering. If you meet the requirements of the contest, you've put in some work at least . . . diverse pages, a certain number of them, blah blah blah. Rewarding that is a good tradition.

Also, any word on when the contest is yet?

#38 Guest_zarath_*

Guest_zarath_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2004 - 08:12 PM

Please, time does equate to success; just on different levels. It's not hard to tell when someone has put a LOT of time into a website and when they've pulled it together in a day.

I have changed it plenty of the last year, just not the appearance because why should I? It works fine the way it is atm. PKZone and Aodojo haven't changed their apperance either because the current layouts WORK. Same with MM's site, no appearance change in a long time because it's fine the way it is.

I have added many features, updated and changed a lot of information, added a lot of scripts and edited a lot on the backend. Just because YOU don't see it or use the site doesn't mean it isn't changed. And I would thank you to not take your personal disapproval with me into this, since biased opinions generally are worthless.

To Scrooge, a lot of contests DON'T work like that as well. There's my reason for not doing it your way.

Zarath

#39 Ciali

Ciali

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 09:18 PM

"It is only about things that don't interest you that you can give a truly unbiased opinion; and this is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always valueless."

:mrgreen:

#40 Extemper

Extemper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4096 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 09:57 PM

Biased?
What do I have to gain or lose from your site doing well?
Nothing.

Time doesn't equate sucess. Only on the elementary levels can you truly see how much time was put in.

This is what you want.
FREE PRIZES BECAUSE IM THE BEST.

Here take the text!

#41 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 11:27 PM

I don't know. A couple years ago, I put together a five page site for Scrooge in the last 3 hours before the submission deadline and ended up winning 30 dd and two vandy orbs.

#42 Nemori

Nemori

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 12:17 PM

I'd like to do the contest the way it was done last year. A lot of people are bitter because better sites won last year. I thought those chosen did a good job and deserved their awards. I can say this honestly because my clan site did not win. I would like another opportunity for our site to compete, and if KoC or someone else still beats us that is fine they probably deserve it. But announcing a contest usually allows some of the sites a chance to perk up, add new info, and in general invigorate a creative aspect of clans. And I think if people stopped to look at last year's results they'd see that sites like AO and Pkzone had a separate category from individual player sites, with plenty of subcategories for smaller sites to win. So are we doing this ever again or is the player base too stuffed full of hatred to creatively and peacefully put together websites?

#43 Sojourner

Sojourner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:34 PM

I'm all for a contest... when does it start?

#44 Guest_adovix_*

Guest_adovix_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2004 - 09:58 PM

I don't agree with adding the rule you can't win two years running. If you do the work you should get rewarded, that's like telling an olympic gold medal winner, 'Sorry you are better but you already won... Let's give someone else a chance.'

From last year the changes that need to be made are in the judging catagories, I don't have my list still but as I recall a couple of them seemed to overlap a lot and some didn't really have much value like accuracy for example, I think almost all of them were accurate even if it was only in point of view...

#45 Iluvatar

Iluvatar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1679 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 11:26 AM

But the Olympics always have a TON of fresh talent entering the fold. MM websites, negative. But I think Lothos' site should win for most complaining and making the most posts to the immortals incompetence (their opinion) of MM.

#46 Extemper

Extemper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4096 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 02:16 PM

I have better categories for pkzone. This way they can win 234234 prices.
Site with the most down time.
Site with the most 'wrong' information.
Best in ruining pk category.
Site with the most abuse of peoples ip address.
And 2nd place for the most immortal bashing. We have to give props to koc first though...

#47 Sojourner

Sojourner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 07:09 PM

PKzone gets first place for most PUBLIC immortal bashing :D KoC keeps it in the forums for the most part... Lothos keeps it on the front page of the site ;)

#48 Guest_zarath_*

Guest_zarath_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2004 - 07:14 PM

And no one is forced to read ChaoS' forums, so it's entirely voluntary. :)

Zarath

#49 Rathas

Rathas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 11:28 PM

My problem with the web site contest isnt so mutch that the same sites keep winning. Its the fact that these sites have been around for awhile and have had time to put a lot of effort and such into them that a newer site lets say one started up less than a month ago dosnt. For a clan or informational site this time differnce can be key to winning or loosing. There is no way that in a month or two that I could hope to have as mutch information usfull information at that that KOC does or half the other clan sites do that have been working on there sites for a year or more. Thats not to say that I dont take the time to work on my clans site but that in order to get the relevant information and the depth of information that these sites that have been around for awhile have its going to take me months.

I dont propose that we not allow KOC to compeat I think that we should add a new catagory to the contest as well to allow the newer web sites to have a chance at really winning the contest. The older sites that have been around for a while compeat in a seperate catagory and the newer ones that have been around a year or less compeat in a seperate catagory to allow the newer sites a chance to win. maby have the same rewards for each catagory but each catagory is a seperate one.

#50 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 12:39 AM

The problem is alot of sites are created in the two months before the contest and then vanish or go into stasis shortly after. Only to be recreated from scratch two months before next year's contest. I think it's perfectly acceptable that a website that has taken the time and dedication to serve the Alyrian public for years should fair better than a website that was created soley to sweep some contest.