Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Questing is overpowered

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#1 Nightshade

Nightshade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2182 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 10:10 PM

Why do first class templeton quests still reward better than most keep quests? I noticed alot of first and second class new rigel quests got the pp lowered, why has this not happened in templeton?

#2 Duende

Duende

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1619 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 10:30 PM

Mail aethyn@ingenii.com to report any specific, overrewarding quests.

#3 Trae

Trae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 10:31 PM

Questing sucks. Although the best type of a quest is a Global quest..which there should more of. 8)

#4 Durova

Durova

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:23 AM

*mutter* Yar, so characters too small for trunks can run through Templeton CPK for 3 practices...

#5 Haley

Haley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:53 AM

really people need to stop whining about over rewarded quests , there's no such thing as a over rewarded quest , all those people to complaine let them goto sigil and do thier 2 pp and 20 qp quests no one puts a gun to thier head to quest in Temp/Telli

stop the madness and don't tough the quests they are fine as they are

#6 Solus

Solus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7574 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:59 AM

really people need to stop whining about over rewarded quests , there's no such thing as a over rewarded quest

So your saying that archon quest in New Rigel that gave you 10 practices for running 20 or so steps west of New Rigel's north gate wasn't overrewarding? :P
(Rewards on this have been lowered...although, for the little effort required, it still gives too many practices IMO.)

There is a such thing as both over rewarding and under rewarding quests.

#7 Haley

Haley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 02:11 AM

no its not , and as i said , you don't have to do that quest , feel free to go quest in sigil for 2 pp and 20 qp

don't mingle in things that are fine as they are

#8 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 02:17 AM

Haley is overstupid. She should be toned down.

#9 Haley

Haley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 02:33 AM

This quest is called 'The Idiot's Guide to Second Class Leveling', for Adventurers levels 60 to 119.
Lord Vendredi is the master in charge of this quest.
Description of The Idiot's Guide to Second Class Leveling:
For years, Sigil has been known as a land, which is inhabited mainly by novice warriors. Although this may be true, we wish to attract stronger warriors to this town. I would like you to check all of the places, which we have that may attract stronger people. Please check all the neighboring towns as well before reporting back to me with you findings. May the powers guide you!
Upon successful completion of this quest you can receive up
to 5 quest points, 0 practice points, 20000 experience points, and 10000 gold pieces.
You have 120 minutes remaining to complete this quest.
The Idiot's Guide to Second Class Leveling consists of:
Phase 1: Defeat a Diocletian commoner.
Phase 2: Defeat a vampire thief.
Phase 3: Defeat the janitor.
Phase 4: Defeat a diocletian choir member.
Phase 5: Defeat a playful child.
Phase 6: Defeat a tiny sparrow.

here a fine example of a sigil quest for all you people who think quests are over powered

#10 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 02:57 AM

I just found a pebble. Proof that there's no such thing as large rocks!

#11 Solus

Solus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7574 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 04:20 AM

here a fine example of a sigil quest for all you people who think quests are over powered

:naughty: Thats an example of a quest that is under rewarding.

#12 Olf

Olf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1765 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:28 AM

Gnomes are overpowered.

#13 Veerat

Veerat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:49 AM

No they are fine as they are. The cost to practice things goes up at level 60 anyways. Like Haley said, go to Sigil and do your 2pp quests if you don't like them.

#14 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 12:20 PM

If you don't like the fact that the rich frequently avoid paying taxes, maybe you should just go on welfare, stupid.

#15 Greela

Greela

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 07:11 PM

just buy more prac gems, thats what I do when the questing isn't going so well

#16 Vorn

Vorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 07:43 PM

I have the urge to say something about Haley's obvious idiocy but there are so many things that I could say that I struggle to find the right one.

#17 Durova

Durova

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:25 PM

It's surprising to find myself on the same side of an issue as Haley, but stranger things have happened. My reasons are different.

During the time I've been playing a typical quest has given enough practices to train a skill or spell by 1% - 2%. This has held true regardless of player level. At level 15 everything trains at a 1:1 ratio. At archon most things train at a 5:1 ratio. Quest rewards adjust accordingly.

I don't know whether this is intentional - I've posed this question before and not received a reply - but it does seem fair. Easy quests tend toward the low end, hard quests go high.

Yes, some mid-level quests are generous. Some cases deserve review. That said, there's a danger of swinging the pendulum too far: lowering level limits until quests become death traps; sending second classers to the Tower of Art, Lowangen, Rune, and Xaventry for only three practices; foisting stingy rewards for CPK runs onto characters too small to own trunks. All of these emerging problems I've seen on my alt, and this just isn't right.

Every game seems easier when people replay it. I hope our community doesn't shut out new players: level 60s who don't know the Templeton court jester usually hangs out in CPK, who don't acquire scan and track by second class, who are hard at work figuring out the things that feel simple to us when we log on our alts. That feeling of simplicity is deceptive. If we succumb to it at the wrong times we risk the health of the game by effectively denying access to new players.

I wish our community had a few of what I'd call quest puppies, genuinely new players with some personal maturity and judgement to test supposedly 'overrewarding' quests.

#18 Alondra

Alondra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2180 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 12:24 AM

Questing sucks and it wasn't always this necessary. At the beginning of 4.0 you could train a prof to about 40% and raise it through fighting mobs at about the same rate it would have gone up through questing. Back then first class quests were very rewarding and nice for new players, with a minimum of about 5 practices per quest for a sigil quest. It was very newbie friendly, but some people took advantage of the easy rewards.

Now the better system is different, training costs were raised, vandy orb rewards were reduced twice and quest rewards have been lowered about fifty times. People are forced to spend more and more time questing to acheive the same _basic_ result of about 30 profs and spells trained by hero.

Since marks are supposed to be stumbled upon randomly, and koc.com is going against the rules with marks already, I don't think the addition of marks with that attitude from the immortals help to alleviate anything a new character.
Personally I can't stand questing for 2 or less pracs especially when what I'm training costs 3pracs/%. Travelling is so hard on first classers and learning areas require a ton of work. If not for the community, have no idea why else new players actually stick around and go through that torture.

#19 Jheron

Jheron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4315 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 12:26 AM

(From Scrooge):
Haley is overstupid. She should be toned down.

On a scale of 1-10 on posts, this ranks at around a 439. :D

#20 Solus

Solus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7574 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 12:57 AM

Durova, you don't really sound like your agreeing with Haley's point. Your point does have some logic and it is not blatantly false.
Yes, it is bad if quests are made too under rewarding. This is why I have always argued against a max reward cap. Some quests did have lowbies doing as much work as archons. Some were even harder than a lot of archon quests.

--

Questing sucks and it wasn't always this necessary. At the beginning of 4.0 you could train a prof to about 40% and raise it through fighting mobs at about the same rate it would have gone up through questing.

Although it used to be a lot easier to get betters, it wasn't nearly that easy.

But at this time, it was also MUCH harder to get a quest. You'd have to wait quite a while inbetween quests, and you would frequently be denied because there weren't many quests avaliable. (Around 2001(2?), there still weren't that many quests. I, myself, got denied for two hours straight at one point...)

Back then first class quests were very rewarding and nice for new players, with a minimum of about 5 practices per quest for a sigil quest. It was very newbie friendly, but some people took advantage of the easy rewards.

*mumbles* Usually, Avros gave no more than 4 at this time, and 4 was considered good rewards.

Now the better system is different, training costs were raised, vandy orb rewards were reduced twice and quest rewards have been lowered about fifty times.

Actually, quests became MUCH MUCH more rewarding. I camped second class for three years so I saw the increase in the rewards. (Now my Thine and Matanzae have camped second class since 2002) Usually, the most I recieved on Avros was 4 practices.(Templeton gave the occasional 5, but these often meant dealing with Lord Templeton.) I moved to Sepheria, and I'd get the occasional 5. Some very hard lowbie quests where added that gave 7, then some slightly easier ones that gave 5-6 rewards were added, but then...

New Rigel got so bad at one point with over rewarding easy quests it looked like an Immortal was intentionally abusing their power and adding quests to make it easier for their alt. (I'm not saying they were, but this is how bad it looked.)
These quests got me my 13,000 extra practices before multing, after I trained all my skills, all my spells, some HP, and certain stats.
These rewards are part of the reason I decided to move all my characters to New Rigel.

#21 Alondra

Alondra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2180 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 12:59 AM

I'm talking about 2000 not 2002

#22 Solus

Solus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7574 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:09 AM

I am also...
I covered the years after it because it was after 2000 that the rewards were getting higher. Plus, you did reference these later years also, by comparing it to now, the vandy orb changes, change in betters, cost increase in certain skills(magical items for example), etc...

#23 Alondra

Alondra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2180 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:13 AM

Well it was easy to get betters, I used to get 10+ a day. I measured it out to about 2m exp for every dodge better.

#24 Solus

Solus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7574 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:17 AM

8O
And here I was proud of having 3 sword betters by level 12.
Usually, I maxxed out at three a day...but if stats affected it, that may be why...I kept my stats low thinking it would mean I would get more of the stat bonuses you got every 15 levels. (I didn't realize it was every 15 levels.)

#25 Alondra

Alondra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2180 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:18 AM

Also regardless of whether quests became more rewarding inbetween now and then, look where they are now compared to where they were at the beginning of 4.0. I remember when new players used to rejoice when they got their 7 practice sigil quests, now they're happy if they get one that rewards 3.