Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Books and Content

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#1 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:33 PM

In an ongoing attempt to add more depth to the game, I would like to solicit people to write some game mythology-related short stories, fables, legends, or Alyrian-based poetry. Post your submissions in this thread and if we like them we will use the stories in a set of books that we'll integrate into the game via libraries and so forth.

On the average I'd say keep your submissions from 250 to 1500 words in length.

#2 Ledatic

Ledatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:01 PM

we gonna getz ruz for demz?

#3 Salanth

Salanth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1329 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:02 PM

How about taking the haikus from that contest and starting with those?

#4 Lowe

Lowe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 09:03 PM

You should narrow it down by giving examples of some themes and areas of interest.

#5 Durova

Durova

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 09:15 PM

There once was a fey from Nantucket...

#6 Lowe

Lowe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 09:49 PM

How about we are lacking creative stories about Lowangen, you know specific..

#7 Guest_skitari_*

Guest_skitari_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:01 AM

I think Vassago was fairly clear. He's going to use what he decides. These are going to be in books that will be in the game to make more of an RP enviroment (having real stories in books in libraries). So write on Rune, or write on the Moat on wiz isle. Do what you do :).

That's what I got out of his post at least if I am wrong oh well.

#8 Guest_nicias_*

Guest_nicias_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:25 PM

Last summer you asked for book descriptions that you were going to add. What ever happenned to all those?

#9 Durova

Durova

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:54 PM

Yes, I could write some recipes for Betty Cropper's Severed Limbs Cookbook. Which vortex swallowed my flyleaf copy?

#10 Calum

Calum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:52 PM

Several young adventurers were walking down a street in Rune one day when they saw a rogue beating senseless on a helpless old bag. "Hie!," one of them said, "That's not right!". Setting upon the young adventurer, they beat him within an inch of his life. It would be nice to report that this taught the young lag a lesson, but sadly he was a wicked soul, and did not realise that these people who had laid about him with boots, knives and other implements were actually trying to do him a favour. Slowly, patiently, he began planning his revenge. Placing an advertisement in the Alyrian times with the promised reward of gold was enough to solicit the attention of the unsuspecting band. With a meeting arranged in one of the local taverns, the four young rakehells died none the wiser as the room was consumed in a single, fiery blast.

The villain felt empty inside. Examining this unsatisfied feeling, he realised that none of the band of four had known who had inspired their demise, and he had had no chance to savour their fear and terror. He resolved to be more careful in future.

#11 Calum

Calum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:58 PM

The Seamstress' Lament

Tails!
they give me tails
i give them rusted rags
they wear them gleefully
i charge an eye and a nose
they wear them happily
yet when I make
an awesome creation
with glittery beads
they LAUGH at me!
is there noone in this town
that wears anything
besides armour ?
Something pretty ?
Woe is me!

#12 Calum

Calum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 07:19 PM

Skit's recent post in RP was pretty good i gotta say. Maybe you could trawl the RP forums or the Chronicle for some of the more interesting stories; i know anything of mine in RP i would be overjoyed to see in another format of any sort.

#13 Guest_skitari_*

Guest_skitari_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2005 - 05:17 AM

Thanks Calum. I might consider writing something up but most of the stuff I write is just outragous lol. I do it for the amusement of others and if you know the people involved then it's even more amusing but I don't know about doing something like this it seems a bit structured.

#14 Solus

Solus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7574 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 06:21 AM

Do you wan't a description for these books or anything else besides what I have here? Also, is this an acceptable type of book/story?

'The Book of customs'...Maybe I'll write some other volumes later. :)

--------------

Chapter 1
The History of Licking

During the age of silence, adventurers could not tell one another about their various journeys and quests. As such, people used some rather peculiar methods to discern information about one another. One method was 'licking'.

Due to various races having an acute sense of taste, they would often lick adventurers who were new to town. Because the dirt in different areas tasted different, one could learn a lot about someone by their taste. Adventures from New Rigel often tasted much sweeter than other adventurers because the sap from the surrounding maple trees would stick to their armor and sweeten the dirt. An adventurer traveling across the ocean would have a somewhat salty flavor. Adventurers who had ventured unto The Proving Grounds tasted of the fungus that grew therein.

Many travelers did not understand why they were licked when they arrived in town and mistook it for some bizarre custom used to greet visitors. As such, some adventurers would playfully greet strangers in a similar fashion. Over the years, this tradition began to catch on, and this greeting was even adopted by various groups of knights, soldiers, and several different guilds. Warriors found this greeting to be particularly useful for discerning whether or not someone was in disguise. When one licked a shifted Minotaur, one would often notice their fur. Likewise, when an Ogre was licked, he would leave a foul aftertaste.

Most Fey became practically interested in this custom, for it allowed them to get close to a potential snack. As such, they wanted to spread the custom unto the Faerie Plane. Realizing this, the Queen of the Fey made a decree that stated, 'should any Fey bite a visitor while greeting them, they would be put to death.' Because of this proclamation, the Sidhe felt comfortable with this tradition becoming a common greeting, but it was because of this same proclamation that people felt safe around the Fey when they were greeted in this manner.

Even though the Riga's reign has long since ended, this tradition still remains a common method for adventurers, merchants, nobles, and warriors to greet one another.

Chapter 2
Tank, he Word, the Legend, the Ogre.

Many Alyrians refer to their companion in their party who is taking the most attacks as the tank. This tradition came about during the Race Wars prior to the Age of Silence. Around this time, the Humans and Gnomes fought against the Dwarves, and most of the battles were being waged around the northern Kolvir Mountains; however, this battle took place much further south.

Gnomish engineers had constructed a new type of ship that was capable of landing on rock-strewn coastlines. Using this ship, the Gnomes and Humans were able to landfall on the southwestern tip of Sepharia. From here, they launched a surprise attack on the fortress Hillspeak.

Due to the hazardous terrain and the probability of attack being so low, the fortress Hillspeak was poorly guarded. For various reasons, the majority of the warriors here were considered outcast by their brethren. A few were skilled in magic, others hated the mountains and loved the woods, while others had shaven their beards, but the particular outcast that tanking was named after wasn't even a Dwarf; rather, he was an Ogre named Tank. Even for Ogre standards he was rather large, not the biggest mind you, but one of the fattest. Tank acquired his name due to his unquenchable thirst. Tank after tank of milk, beer, ale, and water he would drink. It wasn't because Tank was an Ogre that he was sent to Hillspeak; rather, he was stationed at Hillspeak because he had drunk all the Dwarven mead and spirits stored at the Dwarven Capital.

Shortly before the Gnomes and Humans reached the fortress, they were spotted by the lookout. Quickly, the Dwarves formed a counterattack to thwart the oncoming battalion's approach. The battle took place on a narrow cliff ledge. Right before two forces began to clash, several gnomes threw flash bombs at the Dwarven defenders. Many of the Dwarves were able to resist being blinded from the flash; however, Tank was blinded. Unable to see and fearing he would knock his allies off the cliff if he swung his mace, Tank sat down (crushing two Dwarves) and waited for the battle to end.

Because the Ogre would be trouble if he regained his eyesight, and because his massive body left little room on the narrow cliff side for soldiers to pass by, the Gnomes and the Humans focused on attacking the Ogre. Realizing what their adversaries were doing, the Dwarves shouted to one another "Heal Tank!" and began using their magic to heal their large friend.

Due to knowing Dwarves were resistant to magic, the Humans had neglected to bring powerful mages along with them. As such, the Dwarves had the upper hand for many of the outcasts were adept sorcerers. The battle continued for several days, and in the end, the Dwarves were victorious. Tales of this battle and how a warrior named Tank defeated the enemy regiment spread rather quickly. Because it was such a humiliating defeat for the Humans, the story was especially popular among the races that detested them. For a few decades, plays were even held to tell the story; however, not one of them depicted Tank as an Ogre. More often than not, he was portrayed as an obese, beardless Dwarf that wore Elvin armor.

Over the years, the battle was forgotten, and all that remained were warriors who would shout out things like "heal the tank." Sadly, Tank received little reward for his involvement to the battle, but the Dwarves in Hillspeak made sure to keep plenty of Dwarven spirits in stock incase Tank was ever thirsty.

#15 Tyben

Tyben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5308 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:00 PM

Solus: talk to Vswan about licking.

#16 Calum

Calum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:24 PM

War / the Battle of Istani

The two soldiers met in the dead of night. A grim look passed between them; they clasped hands, and embraced briefly. Looking at the two men, the first thing one noticed was their distinct difference in height; the first short and stocky, his companion somewhat taller, and of medium build. Both were garbed for battle.

"We'll not live out the morrow," the dwarf said to his human friend. "Aye," the other agreed, "'tis a grim business that calls us to fight each other."

"Blame the damn druids," his friend replied. "Makin beasties and then leavin' us to pick up the pieces. Leaders, pfft!". His friend smiled bleakly.

They had met, somehow, in the grip of war that embraced their two races. Tavern keepers only served one master, and the two had met in a run-down grog shop in a distant town, several years before. Words had become blows, which the tavern keeper had quickly quelled; he liked his furniture the way it was. Forced to shake hands and make up, the two had struck up a grudging friendship, each recognising similar qualities in the other. The friendship had endured over several further skirmishes; so far, at least, the two had not had to face each other in battle. Each of course had a different opinion about the outcome of such a meeting.

"Tomorrow is it," the dwarf said, "something big is gunna happen." His friend nodded. Unable to tend his fields with the wars raging back and forth across what had once been prime fertile land, the human had taken to soldiering. His family had moved to the city, and were living with his son-in-law, the last he knew. Even the gods seemed to despair. "Pray the saint of Ishtar we live through tomorrow at least." "Istani, you stumble-bum country git," the dwarf said. He thumped him. Sharing another swallow of wine, liberated from some officer somewhere no doubt, or won in a round of cards, they shook hands, embraced again, and disappeared into the night.

#17 Waylander

Waylander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:45 AM

The Fateful Quest of Ilkar

It was a warm sunny August day in Sigil and I was going about my daily routine of trying to get as many jobs done for Lord Vendredi as I could, I knew I still had lots to learn about the skills I had been blessed with being a mage and these world not come cheap either in gold or my valuable practices, I had completed three rather simple jobs for him when he asked me to do something rather unusual it was a job I had never had before, he wanted me to round up some farmers which was a simple enough job, but then I was expected to find a vampire rabbit now I had seen many strange things in the world of Alyria but never a vampire rabbit, where the hell was I to start looking, after thinking for a while about my previous travels I knew the Rabbit wasn't around Sigil so I started asking around to see if anyone knew the location of these strange beasts and as usual no one answered me I don't think the people here hate me, they just seem to be tied up in their own world so I left Sigil in search of a Rabbit, straight away my luck was in, just as I left the fair city of Sigil the Merdraco docked and its next port of call was Rune, so I quickly jumped on board the ship and waited for it to depart hoping that I would have more luck in Rune than I did in Sigil, soon after the ship departed the docks and after a short trip we arrived in Rune again I started asking around, and several people told me to try up in Tellerium so I set off to Ganuk's deciding that it would be quicker for me to take the Iron Worm rather than wait for the boat again. Once at Ganuks I brought a token for my trip and set about waiting for him to return which wasn't long and within minutes I was at Tellerium a place I was not fond of due to the whole city being anti magic and my spells would not help me if I got into trouble here, so ready to flee at a moments notice I set out into the city asking around to see if anyone here knew of these elusive rabbits I got no replies to my yelling and so before I went hoarse I set off into the wilds around the city in the hope of spotting one this was easier said than done, I searched the country well deciding that they would not be on the fields I set off into the plains, after wandering for some time I came across a wolf who was hunting rabbits "A clue" I thought to myself, I must be getting close now, I set off once more and walked straight into a centaur ranger who just attacked me for no reason so I started to defend myself and I attempted to cast my trustworthy magic dart but it wasn't in my book!! damn I remembered too late that I had just been practicing the blindness spell in Sigil before I got this job I was being punished by this centaur for my mistake, he was hurting me bad now so quickly I fled hoping to get away before he delivered that final blow to me, but alas I fled into the arms of two centaurs who seemed to be waiting for me, this time I could not escape no matter how hard I tried and death soon loomed up before me and tore me asunder with that great scythe of his, I had failed my quest and paid for it with my life.

I found myself in a strange place it was a place I hadn't been before there where many spirits around me, some of other adventurers some of strange creatures I hadn't seen before, so this is it I thought, I am doomed to spend eternity here so off I set wandering the passages of this area seeking I don't know what but moving on regardless time seemed to slow down a minute seemed like hours to me so I cannot say how long I was there for, but the next thing I knew there was a blinding flash and I found myself in Tellierium's hospital "thank you" I thought to myself some God must have taken pity on me and restored me to life, quickly I used the gem stone I had brought from Lord Vendredi and transported myself back to Sigil which I knew well and felt safe there, Making a Vow that one day I would return and seek out those centaurs and take revenge on them.

End.

The Tower

It was my first time, I have never been here before I was a bit worried, no I must tell it as it was I was terrified, the place I speak of is Verity tower, I was with my friend Jajar he had been here before he knew what to expect, I didn't, he liked this, he liked seeing me sweat I was a young dwarf back then still trying to learn my skills, but I had been coerced into going to Verity "It will be fun" he said. I told Jajar he sense of fun was wrong, what most people call life threatening Jajar calls fun I should have turned back then I should have run but I didn't I stick by him besides he was a Paladin, I should be a bit safer he could always heal me, I checked to make sure he had his spell books on him which he did, we started off heading towards the tower I was feeling slightly more confident after we had a small chat where I threatened to haunt Jajar if he got me killed (In those days that used to work well, not any more though) so we headed off in a northeastern route towards this big black tower, even from this distance it looked foreboding, several times I checked my equipment was all in order, checked I was using the correct sword I think this was done out of nerves more than anything, we soon reached the tower now the nerves kicked in we headed north through the main gate to the fountain there was a Gnome there, he offered to take me home for 10000 gold, I nearly went, I nearly said to Jajar that I wasn't ready but I didn't because Jajar told me I would be safe and I trusted him, we had become good friends in the last couple of months and I knew how he fights his battles and he knew how I fight mine so we made a good team and as I found out in the future Verity is just like everything else, its team work, team work will get you to the top, it will keep you strong while stronger people around you falter, myself and Jajar made a good team, not the best I expect, but good, we went on into the tower and onto the first floor straight away we was in the thick of it, fighting areials and other creatures, collecting the valuable tourms and putting them into our fireproof bags, there seemed to be no end to creatures and we worked in a methodical way, going into a room clearing anything in there that moved and searching for anything hidden, once this was done we would move on, trying to avoid the traps where we could, gritting our teeth and walking into them when they couldn't be avoided, then stopping and resting each of us was taking turns to stand guard while the other slept and Jajar cast his cure wounds spell on us whenever he could so it didn't take us long before we was off again, before we knew it, our pockets were bulging with gold, our bags were splitting at the seams with the amount of tourms we had put into them and we couldn't carry any more, it seemed like only moments before that we had entered the tower, but when I checked my trusty pocket watch several hours had really past, I was having fun and so it was with great regret that we decided to make this our last room, so we searched around for any hidden items and I found a multi-faceacted decanter lying covered in the dirt, wondering what it was I used my identify spell on it and it turned out to be an explosive when thrown, but it seemed strange, neither of us had seen anything like this before so I decided to auction it off, I thought it wouldn't hurt, so we both recalled and I called to the auction imps and told them I wanted to sell this item for at least 10000 gold, thinking if it sells it sells if it doesn't it doesn't, so we sat there and rested our tired bones and aching limbs while we waited for this item to come up, when it did I had the shock of my life, as soon as it appeared someone bid on it, then another, steadily it rose up, 50000 gold then 100,000 gold I was shocked, it was only worth 2000 gold to begin with, it finally sold for 150,000 and I couldn't believe my luck, I felt so rich, I asked the person who brought it if they didn't mind telling me why they paid so much for it, as I couldn't see anything special about it, they explained to me that it took second classers to the proving grounds or at least part of the way into it, so after that day I set out to find as many of these as I could, after this we set off back to the Druid at the fountain and paid him to take us home, we then headed to Lord Vendredi to deposit our tourms and I felt happier for going there and surviving the trip and I was that little bit closer to collecting my 250 tourms required, and very much looking forward to my next trip to Verity.

End

[align=]

#18 Asorewen

Asorewen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2856 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:30 AM

Is the lack of full stops intentional? I'm confused. :(

#19 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:46 AM

I licked Vswan once.

#20 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:05 PM

Waylander: Can you resubmit those with paragraph breaks in appropriate places?

#21 Pavel

Pavel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:35 PM

Good Ideas :o You guys really have a lot of time on your hands. :doh:

#22 Calum

Calum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 10:42 PM

just an edit to the above...

Title would be either The Two Soldiers or The Battle of Istani.

Second paragraph should read:
"We'll not live out the morrow," the dwarf said to his human friend. His friend, the more taciturn of the two, nodded grimly.

#23 Waylander

Waylander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:13 AM

The Tower

It was my first time, I have never been here before I was a bit worried, no I must tell it as it was I was terrified, the place I speak of is Verity tower, I was with my friend Jajar he had been here before he knew what to expect, I didn't, he liked this, he liked seeing me sweat I was a young dwarf back then still trying to learn my skills, but I had been coerced into going to Verity "It will be fun" he said. I told Jajar his sense of fun was wrong, what most people call life threatening Jajar calls fun I should have turned back then I should have run but I didn't I stick by him besides he was a Paladin, I should be a bit safer he could always heal me, I checked to make sure he had his spell books on him which he did, we started off heading towards the tower.

I was feeling slightly more confident after we had a small chat where I threatened to haunt Jajar if he got me killed (In those days that used to work well, not any more though) so we headed off in a north-eastern route towards this big black tower, even from this distance it looked foreboding, several times I checked my equipment was all in order, checked I was using the correct sword I think this was done out of nerves more than anything, we soon reached the tower now the nerves kicked in we headed north through the main gate to the fountain there was a Gnome there, he offered to take me home for 10000 gold, I nearly went, I nearly said to Jajar that I wasn't ready but I didn't because Jajar told me I would be safe and I trusted him, we had become good friends in the last couple of months and I knew how he fights his battles and he knew how I fight mine so we made a good team and as I found out in the future Verity is just like everything else, its team work, team work will get you to the top, it will keep you strong while stronger people around you falter, myself and Jajar made a good team, not the best I expect, but good, we went on into the tower and onto the first floor straight away we was in the thick of it, fighting areials and other creatures, collecting the valuable tourms and putting them into our fireproof bags, there seemed to be no end to creatures and we worked in a methodical way, going into a room clearing anything in there that moved and searching for anything hidden, once this was done we would move on, trying to avoid the traps where we could, gritting our teeth and walking into them when they couldn't be avoided, then stopping and resting each of us was taking turns to stand guard while the other slept and Jajar cast his cure wounds spell on us whenever he could so it didn't take us long before we was off again, before we knew it, our pockets were bulging with gold, our bags were splitting at the seams with the amount of tourms we had put into them and we couldn't carry any more, it seemed like only moments before that we had entered the tower, but when I checked my trusty pocket watch several hours had really past.

I was having fun and so it was with great regret that we decided to make this our last room, so we searched around for any hidden items and I found a multi-faceacted decanter lying covered in the dirt, wondering what it was I used my identify spell on it and it turned out to be an explosive when thrown, but it seemed strange, neither of us had seen anything like this before so I decided to auction it off, I thought it wouldn't hurt, so we both recalled and I called to the auction imps and told them I wanted to sell this item for at least 10000 gold, thinking if it sells it sells if it doesn't it doesn't, so we sat there and rested our tired bones and aching limbs while we waited for this item to come up, when it did I had the shock of my life, as soon as it appeared someone bid on it, then another, steadily it rose up, 50000 gold then 100,000 gold I was shocked, it was only worth 2000 gold to begin with, it finally sold for 150,000 and I couldn't believe my luck, I felt so rich, I asked the person who brought it if they didn't mind telling me why they paid so much for it, as I couldn't see anything special about it, they explained to me that it took second classers to the proving grounds or at least part of the way into it, so after that day I set out to find as many of these as I could, after this we set off back to the Druid at the fountain and paid him to take us home, we then headed to Lord Vendredi to deposit our tourms and I felt happier for going there and surviving the trip and I was that little bit closer to collecting my 250 tourms required, and very much looking forward to my next trip to Verity.

End

Written by Waylander

The Fateful Quest of Ilkar

It was a warm sunny August day in Sigil and I was going about my daily routine of trying to get as many jobs done for Lord Vendredi as I could, I knew I still had lots to learn about the skills I had been blessed with being a mage and these world not come cheap either in gold or my valuable practices, I had completed three rather simple jobs for him when he asked me to do something rather unusual it was a job I had never had before, he wanted me to round up some farmers which was a simple enough job, but then I was expected to find a vampire rabbit now I had seen many strange things in the world of Alyria but never a vampire rabbit, where the hell was I to start looking, after thinking for a while about my previous travels I knew the Rabbit wasn't around Sigil so I started asking around to see if anyone knew the location of these strange beasts and as usual no one answered me I don't think the people here hate me, they just seem to be tied up in their own world so I left Sigil in search of a Rabbit, straight away my luck was in, just as I left the fair city of Sigil the Merdraco docked and its next port of call was Rune, so I quickly jumped on board the ship and waited for it to depart hoping that I would have more luck in Rune than I did in Sigil.

Soon after the ship departed the docks and after a short trip we arrived in Rune again I started asking around, and several people told me to try up in Tellerium so I set off to Ganuk's deciding that it would be quicker for me to take the Iron Worm rather than wait for the boat again. Once at Ganuks I brought a token for my trip and set about waiting for him to return which wasn't long and within minutes I was at Tellerium a place I was not fond of due to the whole city being anti magic and my spells would not help me if I got into trouble here, so ready to flee at a moments notice I set out into the city asking around to see if anyone here knew of these elusive rabbits I got no replies to my yelling and so before I went hoarse I set off into the wilds around the city in the hope of spotting one this was easier said than done, I searched the country well deciding that they would not be on the fields I set off into the plains, after wandering for some time I came across a wolf who was hunting rabbits "A clue" I thought to myself, I must be getting close now, I set off once more and walked straight into a centaur ranger who just attacked me for no reason so I started to defend myself and I attempted to cast my trustworthy magic dart but it wasn't in my book!! damn I remembered too late that I had just been practicing the blindness spell in Sigil before I got this job I was being punished by this centaur for my mistake, he was hurting me bad now so quickly I fled hoping to get away before he delivered that final blow to me, but alas I fled into the arms of two centaurs who seemed to be waiting for me, this time I could not escape no matter how hard I tried and death soon loomed up before me and tore me asunder with that great scythe of his, I had failed my quest and paid for it with my life.

I found myself in a strange place it was a place I hadn't been before there where many spirits around me, some of other adventurers some of strange creatures I hadn't seen before, so this is it I thought, I am doomed to spend eternity here so off I set wandering the passages of this area seeking I don't know what but moving on regardless time seemed to slow down a minute seemed like hours to me so I cannot say how long I was there for, but the next thing I knew there was a blinding flash and I found myself in Tellierium's hospital "thank you" I thought to myself some God must have taken pity on me and restored me to life, quickly I used the gem stone I had brought from Lord Vendredi and transported myself back to Sigil which I knew well and felt safe there, Making a Vow that one day I would return and seek out those centaurs and take revenge on them.

End.

Written By Waylander

#24 Asorewen

Asorewen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2856 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:10 PM

I think I'll try my hand at writing some books' content too...

"A song in the dark."
Volume I

"The fog was almost unbearable. For days the dwarf and the drow were trudging along the foothils of the Kolvir mountains. Strangely enough, the fog seemed to follow them from the day they left Rune on a mission for Lord Agrippa. They were wet, and tired and the fog seemed to sap their strenght, but they pressed on, conscious of the importance of their mission. However, the drow was better off because he was riding a sigilian stallion unlike his companion who was on foot.
"I don't like this one bit. This fog is so strange. It's almost as if it were magical!" Kargin the dwarf spoke in a tired, monotonous voice.
His companion, Eowerath nodded and spoke in a quiet voice:
"I'm sure of it. Have you not noticed? I had this weird feeling that someone was watching us since this morning. By Gath, I'm having a very nasty feeling about this. My gut instinct says that we're close to this sorcerer's tower... And he doesn't want us getting close..."
The dwarf muttered: "I knew that we should have taken the road by the seaside. I bet my ancestor's hammer that the sea air would have washed this filthy fo...."
Anger flared in his partner's red eyes.
"Maybe you should lead, Kargin Hammerspark. After all your training as a wizard would surely lead us right to Aberwyn's tower" the drow spoke in an obviously sarcastic voice.
"Perhaps you would enjoy explaining to Aberwyn what we were doing near his tower too. That is if you manage to speak before he turns you into a disgusting toad. Or even worse... In a disgusting unded toad."
The drow turned his horse and rode ahead.
The dwarf muttered in a low voice "Psh... Rangers..." and shook his head. Then he shouted: "Eowerath, wait! I'm... I'm... sorry" the dwarf stepped on his dwarvish pride and admited defeat.
Eowerath turned and waited for the dwarf to catch up.
"You shouldn't have shouted. I would be surprised if the sorcerer didn't hear that all the way to his tower. I would have waited for you anyway. But what's done is done" the drow said and dismounted. "I go on foot from here. The countryside tired my horse and would most likely slow me down on the way ahead.
They pressed on on foot. It was getting dark, and the land became like a haunting nightmare. The shadows of the trees seemed to be fantastic animals in the darkness of the land. After a while the dwarf broke the silence once more.
"Hmm. I'm sorry for what I said earlier. It's just that this damn fog is killing me."
"Apology accepted."
"Let's stop for the night here, we can't reach Aberwyn's tower anyway and my legs are crumbling..." the dwarf spoke in a yawning voice.
The drow stoped suddenly, grabbing the dwarf's arm, his red eyes glistening like hot embers in the darkness of the night.
"Shh..."
"What?"
"Ambush!"
The dwarf looked around. Red eyes were closing in from every direction.
"Wolfriders!"
The thought sprang in his mind. He didn't like the idea one bit. He couldn't have not noticed, however, that they were hundreds of kilometers away from Dungeon Wroth, the original breeding pens for attack wolves and training grounds for orc raiders.
"The sorcerer summoned them!"
This was undoubtly true, but summoning such a large force showed the true power of the sorcerer.
The dwarf gritted his teeth, grabbed his stout axe and leaned his back against that of the drow. He might not live to see the next morning but he would make sure he will take as many foes as possible with him to the Halls of the Dead to serve as his slaves for an eternity.
A low rumble of thunder was heard from the sky."

#25 Asorewen

Asorewen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2856 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:25 AM

Sorry it took so long to get over my lazyness. Here's part 2.

"A song in the night." Volume 2.

Looking out the inn window, Marius was having quite a bit of trouble trying to figure out the reason for the strange storm. The whole Runic bay was being tormented by howling winds and savage hail.
"Quite strange, a storm of such magnitude in the middle of the summer. It's most unusual, and I'm certain it's magical. What would be the purpose for..."
He broke his thought, sensing an intruder in the room. Dashing for the bedside trunk, he quickly withdrew from it a lightweight sword, while with the other hand raising a protective Spell Shield against anything magical that he'd have to face. Turning to face his opponent he met the playful gaze of his friend, Luca.
"Marius. Your reflexes are weakening! I could have had you dead
by now if I wanted to! You were so absorbed in your daydreming that you wouldn't have heard an ogre sneaking up on you!"
Marius' gaze narrowed.
"Pfft. Don't you have anything better to do than sneak up on people? I'm studying the magical properties of this storm."
Luca rolled his eyes in disgust.
"Magical! Eh... I swear you paladins are getting worked up over anything. The only thing i care to know about this storm is when will it end. I got drenched from walking from the palace here."
"Don't you see? It might not end by itself. I think that someone, nay, something, conjured it. I doubt that any sorcerer belonging to this plane has the resource to keep such a storm for longer than a day, let alone a full week!"
Luca shuddered.
"Mmhhmmmmm. Okay if you say so. Anyway, Lord Agrippa wants to see us both. he seems to be concerned with something, and I have never seen his Lordship so troubled before."
Marius voice raised.
"So why didn't you tell me before?!? We're sitting here cracking jokes and stories about sneaking ogres and magical storms while his Lordship awaits us. Let's go!"
Luca sniffed and muttered.
"It's always my fault..."

Lord Agrippa was pacing furiously when the rogue and the paladin reached the audience chamber.
"Ah good. I've been expecting you! We're in a dire situation... Last week I've sent two adventurers to spy on a sorcerer's tower in the Kolvir mountains. Normally I don't get worried about missing adventurers but this time, there's something different."
He paused for a moment, then withdrew a parchement from his sleeve.
"Take a look at this. It's a letter from Lord Vendredi, the Sigilian Lord. In this he lets me know that he also lost countless trackers in the Kolvir foothills, who were on the trail of a run-away Ore Baron who supposedly was fleeing to New Kolvir. Also, shortly after, this storm seemed to stretch all the way to Sigil. Now I have feeling these events might not be entirely independent. Even worse, I fear that if we don't act soon we might be in a very, very serious situation. Your mission is to find out the exact location of the tower. You musn't get too close, or take too many chances. I'm building an army to lay siege to that tower . I've already asked for support from New Rigel. We should get a detachment of Rigelian Archers within the week, in addition to the mages Lord Venderdi already dispached. So make haste and return with the information quickly, for the entire wellfare of Sepharia and Auryn depends on you! May The Powers bless you!"
Dismissing them with a quick gesture, Lord Agrippa turned around and sat on his throne, ready to receive other adventurers.

Marius looked at Luca with a grim stare.
"Now do you believe me when I say this is grave business? Magic is not to be trifled with, and we'd better get going before any more lives are lost."
Luca nodded in approval.
"My gut tells me that this is going to get worse before it gets any better. Something's not right about this. Something is definetly not right. I just can't say what."
Marius turned around and beckoned for Luca to follow him.
"Oh well we'd better get going. Kolvir mountains are a good 3 days walk from here in good weather and time is a commodity we can't afford to lose. Let's pray to Dira that this adventure will find us standing at the end of it."
Luca quickly followed Marius out of the audience chambers.
"Oh believe me, I don't have any intention to get killed on scouting duty. It would be shameful for a rogue."