Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Quit devaluing Ruz!#@$%^$^&%

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#26 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:28 PM

Posted Image

#27 Biran

Biran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:30 PM

(From Unbeliever):
It's impossible to form a cartel on this game. Tejon seems to think he and a select few will be the only ones ever selling RU.

It's far from impossiable. All he has to do is convince 5 or 6 major RU sellers to band with him. Then wait for the other average sellers to run out. Then people will go to his closley knit group and pay their price.

It's far from impossiable. He just needs to be good in persuading people into his way of thinking. Which shouldn't be to hard since the language here is greed, and that's a language everyone is quite fluent in.

#28 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:32 PM

Wait, who's running out of what now?

#29 Ednarimal

Ednarimal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:36 PM

All he has to do is convince 5 or 6 major RU sellers to band with him.

that theory might work, if those 7 people made up even 1/4th of the RU sellers...but they dont, so it won't

basic economics says that prices will go down, but they will go back up eventually if the equillibrium is anywhere near 150k, otherwise, it'll keep droping until it gets close

and it really wont stop the buying of RU through $$$ since some of the better donation items(SDs, auras, etc.) have a time limit

#30 Biran

Biran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:51 PM

(From Ednarimal):

All he has to do is convince 5 or 6 major RU sellers to band with him.

that theory might work, if those 7 people made up even 1/4th of the RU sellers...but they dont, so it won't

basic economics says that prices will go down, but they will go back up eventually if the equillibrium is anywhere near 150k, otherwise, it'll keep droping until it gets close

and it really wont stop the buying of RU through $$$ since some of the better donation items(SDs, auras, etc.) have a time limit

Actually I can think of 9 people off the top of my head that sell RUs in bulk to ALOT of players on a monthly basis. They have ALOT of buyers and makes ALOT of gold. I think you'd be plesantly surprised how many people actually buy the RUs with their real $$$ and sell them in game.

There are more people that just get them from game gold of from CPKing and selling stuff then try to sell them to other people. But those ways are very un-reliable on supply. It's the big donaters taht donate monthly or weekly and always has mass amounts of RUs that he would have to convince. Then like I said, they set a price and wait out the people that sell EQ for RUs and the such. Sooner or later their EQ pool will dry up.

You people seem to think I keep talking in the present like something like a rise in RU price or tejon's idea of a cartel could happen tomarrow or in the next couple of months. But that's cause you're all rather near-sighted in the matter. Fact is, that if given the time and paients a handful of 7-10 people could prolly change the RU pricing system. Once people started buying from them everyone would raise their prices. Need I say it again? GREED IS SPOKEN IN EVERY LANGUAGE.

-Biran

#31 Grandpa

Grandpa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2103 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 06:46 PM

You and colin both seem to miss the bigger picture. The lower the price, the more people get. The more people get the more the game becomes loaded with them. The more people have the less they need. Over time the market is flooded with RUs and people can't sell the ones they want for anything that resembles a profit.

biran, how stupid are you, no matter what the price of RU is, the price of a SD ammy is still 50 RU, so people will still DONATE the same ammount of $$ to get an ammy.

People who sell ru will now donate more to get the same ammount of gold. So vass would make more of a profit from lower RU prices.

And if your speaking from RU being currency, THATS NOT THE PURPOSE OF RU, RU was meant for donation items, not to be a replacement for gold.

#32 Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3673 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:00 PM

Biran seems to think that by calling us all near-sighted he garners validity in his arguments.

Shame.

#33 Klaus

Klaus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:12 PM

I once played foosball with an old man.

:santa:

#34 Biran

Biran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:19 AM

(From Unbeliever):
Biran seems to think that by calling us all near-sighted he garners validity in his arguments.

Shame.

No I just assumed that you'd read my whole post instead of picking out little peices of it to make a half-assed post like this.

Grandpa, you're the last person I want to hear calling someone stupid. Honestly, with all that extra publicity you got with the rubber bands and the such.

SDs will always be 50RUs. But I think you are slow on what I was saying. RUs drop to 50k in price. That's 2.5m for an SD. 2.5m... Most people can get that or have that in a small time period. So people have one main and maybe 3 alts. So they spend 7.5m (assuming their main has an SD), and get 3 more SDs. Now everyone starts doing this and pretty soon the demand for things like SDs, Auras, houses, etc... drop cause people got them so cheaply that it didn't break their bank to equip all their characters with the donations they needed. So now they really have no need for RUs anymore, regardless of "A SD will always be 50 RUs." They don't need that 50 or 84 RUs cause they have everything they need. So buyers become more and more scarace (OVER TIME not within a day or in months). So Vassago sells less RUs. What part of this is hard to understand?

If people have everything they need for them and their alts they have NO use for RUs so will stop buying them. Buyers will stop buying and the sellers or use them to make a profit (no matter how low that maybe at the time) will stop buying them with $$$ because there's no point in buying buying buying if finding buyers for gold are few and far between. But I guess you can still think I am wrong and stupid. That's your perogitive, but there is truth behind what I say. Sure it may NOT happen. But then again if you look on the flip side of you're "blah blah blah RUs won't raise in price" theory, you'll see that things haven't gotten cheaper over the years as far as donations go. It's your fantasy though, live it how you wish.

-Biran

#35 Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3673 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:26 AM

So buyers become more and more scarace (OVER TIME not within a day or in months). So Vassago sells less RUs

The population is always increasing, what part of this don't YOU understand. There will always be people making alts who need RU items, and always new players coming into the game that need RU items. So tell me oh smart one, with more people needing donation items, and consequently more people needing renewal tokens, why will RU become more scarce.

#36 Trae

Trae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:00 PM

Because no one will donate to make gold anymore since it'd be worthless. :hand:

#37 Sabu

Sabu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8615 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:00 PM

how stupid are you

ammount

aslkfhsgl

and-

May the Schwartz be with you... always.

#38 Yien

Yien

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:58 PM

How exactly would you make a locked price on the RU's when selling them?

#39 Ednarimal

Ednarimal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:39 PM

(From Biran):
SDs will always be 50RUs. But I think you are slow on what I was saying. RUs drop to 50k in price. That's 2.5m for an SD. 2.5m... Most people can get that or have that in a small time period. So people have one main and maybe 3 alts. So they spend 7.5m (assuming their main has an SD), and get 3 more SDs. Now everyone starts doing this and pretty soon the demand for things like SDs, Auras, houses, etc... drop cause people got them so cheaply that it didn't break their bank to equip all their characters with the donations they needed. So now they really have no need for RUs anymore, regardless of "A SD will always be 50 RUs." They don't need that 50 or 84 RUs cause they have everything they need. So buyers become more and more scarace (OVER TIME not within a day or in months). So Vassago sells less RUs. What part of this is hard to understand?

it is unsettling to know how little truth this has in it

so you only have to get 2.5mil to get an SD, but even if an SD costed 10mil, the SD is still going to get bought, it'll just take 4x as long(maybe even less seeing as you are more motivated to get the RU), and...Holy Halflife Batman, everyone is going to buy their SDs and the world will end in 4x the time, oh no.

#40 Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:35 PM

economics debate!

I would like to introduce a Keynesian approach to this problem!

Wait, thats just stupid :hand:

#41 Colin

Colin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1250 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 04:13 AM

CHEAPER RU MEANS MORE DONATIONS BOUGHT FOR ALTS, OR EVEN MAINS. MORE DONATIONS MEANS MORE RU SPENT, MORE RU SPENT MEANS MORE RU DONATED FOR.

cheaper ru hurts one group of people, the people who donate for RU to sell them.

Biran you need to actually think before you throw out your comments. You think because u type 1/2 a page people will just not read it and assume you have a good point, well thats not true. :eh:

#42 Ryechaser

Ryechaser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2861 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:25 AM

If donations are cheaper per gold piece, I'd buy them for my alts too. Even if Rye had every donation and I still had gold, I'd be buying RU to make my alts cooler. I don't see why the donation market would drop off. If RU are easier to get, I'd just get more.

#43 Ryechaser

Ryechaser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2861 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:27 AM

It's a two way street there and if people just woke up and realized and were willing to wait 2-3 months before they sold another RU they could eaisly set the price higher then 150k.

I meant to post this too, why should someone wait 2-3 months to sell? At one point when I had spare cash in RL, I was considering selling it for gold, but no way in hell would I wait longer than 3-5 days to sell something. If I'm selling something, I'm gonna unload it now, I don't want to wait months for a small extra profit. If I was in the business of selling RU, I'd want to move it out faster so I could sell more faster, not have a limited gold supply.

#44 Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3673 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:43 AM

I would like to introduce a Keynesian approach to this problem!

You would need to pull out the IS-LM model for that one. One I would love to see :)

#45 Rorthron

Rorthron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1256 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:12 PM

SDs will always be 50RUs. But I think you are slow on what I was saying. RUs drop to 50k in price. That's 2.5m for an SD. 2.5m... Most people can get that or have that in a small time period. So people have one main and maybe 3 alts. So they spend 7.5m (assuming their main has an SD), and get 3 more SDs.

If people have everything they need for them and their alts they have NO use for RUs so will stop buying them.

Renewal tokens. Donation expiry dates.

SD expires. Aura expires. Even if people only have those two donations on each alt, that's a reasonable supply of RU needed to maintain that status on each character.
Some people like to have the pouches on their low level characters before they are able to get a trunk, that's another set of renewals needed for each character. More RU's needed.
Some people like having reagent keys, or [another expiring donation that just makes life easier]. Each of these requires renewals to keep using year after year.
If, as you seem to think, RU's became next to worthless and everyone stopped donating because they had everything (and you ignore the need to donate for renewals like you have so far) then Vass would have several routes to maintain the flow of $'s needed to run the game.

Downgrade the server eq, etc, so it requires less $ per month (very unlikely to happen unless it becomes a matter of survival for MM though).

Add expiry dates to ALL donations to increase the flow of $$$ from renewals.

Increase the RU cost of donations to help meet the monthly $$$ requirements.

Dont forget, there are also housing items that sell for RU. If RU's are cheap, and people end up with a lot of houses, they might be tempted to spend RU 'decorating' them.
This then opens up the possibilty of creating more RU-purchasable items, for houses, clanhalls, etc; Pets, house mobs, customisable items, customisable strings, player titles (Lord, Sir, blah, blah), etc, etc.
The uses for RU are pretty much limited only by the imagination of the dev team, and if more donations were needed, I'm sure they could come up with new ways to spend RU's to increase it.