Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

The Young Elf

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#51 Asorewen

Asorewen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2856 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:15 AM

Fires blazed into the night. He had been fighing for almost 12 hours and he was tired. His muscles were tense yet he was still staggering on the battlefield, trying to stay alive as opponent after opponent rushed over him. It took him the most of his willpower to stand and fight, yet on numerous occasions he wished he could just collapse on the ground and die. But the people of the hamlet of Blue Ferry were depending on him. He, a company of elite swordsmen from Chateau-Blanc and a handful of conscripted peasants held the line against waves after waves of orcs while the local villages were being evacuated. Most of the Dukedom was already overran by orcs, and he found himself questioning the outcome of the fight. Cursing, he was about to dispatch another orc, when all of a sudden he lost his footing and fell tumbling ... and he kept falling and
...falling

and falling....

Mark suddenly woke up suddenly, chilling spears running all over his spine and bathed in cold sweat. His young companion was sleeping besides him. Cursing, he was about to wake her up, when all of a sudden he heard a sound behind him. In an instant de ducked, rolled and grabbed his greatsword rising just in time to meet the gaze of hooded man, twin daggers glistening in the starlight. Thoughts scrambled and raced through his head. In all his years of fighing, he never got used to the feeling gave by an adrenaline rush, when death seemed like a tangible presence. Only it wasn't going to be his blood spilled tonight.

#52 Calum

Calum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:20 PM

In the gloom underneath the bridge, the young elf looked about. There were several small bones scattered about; none of them looked large enough to be human. Or elven. This was good, he thought. There were no other trolls, either. This was also good.

The troll looked at him solemnly, and sat down at his collection of rocks, and what looked like skulls. Methodically, and with a weird sense of rhythm, he began to beat them together. It was odd, but kind of enjoyable. He tried not to think of where the skulls had come from.

After a while, the troll seemed to have finished, and looked at him. Jesq realised that some sort of response was required. "Good, mate," he said. "Kind of .. interesting. Not bad," The troll ducked his head at the compliment. The harsh voice issued from the mouth which seemed to stretch about halfway 'round the troll's head. All the better to eat you with, he thought, before he could help himself. "Name .. Looserocks..." the troll said solemnly, extending his hand. Recognising this custom, the young elf reached over and shook the troll's hand. "Jesq", he said. The troll's eyes went all crinkly again. Gloomy and reserved, Jesq didn't make friends easily. Realising that he was not going to be eaten any time soon, the boy smiled tentatively. Everything was kind of ok with the world.

#53 Shelle

Shelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:24 PM

Through the haze of dreams Elleith felt a slight nudge of someones foot calling her to reality. It was early morning and the stars although fading were still present. She jumped to her feet noticing that Mark had his sword out and looking at a hooded stranger who held a pair of unsheth daggers.
"Who are you?" The girl demanded more surprised than scared.
"Tell me who you are then will tell you who I am." The stranger responded although there was a slight shift in his posture, seemingly less tense at the sight of the girl.
"I asked you first." She glared at him almost childlishly.
"Fine then." The man nearly shrugged. "What are you two doing on my outpost?"
"Your outpost?" Elleith didn't know what to make of it. "This is a hill. We were travelling to the city but the night came and we needed a place to sleep so we stopped here."
"You could have stopped at the nearby inn. Why weren't you following the road?" He continued questioning.
Elleith looked at him like he was insane. "We were told all kinds of thugs and murders are guaring the road at night. We're not crazy to go into a trap. Speaking of thugs..." She eyed him suspiciously. "Someone who wears a cloak and carries daggers seems to be..."
She was interpted by amused chuckle and to her surprise the man removed his hood and unclasped a hook on his cloak making him more visible. He was wearing simple country clothes. His face was wind and sun tested and his hair were wheat color. "My father and my brothers and I own this land. This is a closest large pasture to the city, because the desert is so close." He gestured towards a wooden house on the other side of the large field where some animals were grazing. "This hill is perfect to oversee our land. I can detect danger from here. As you said so youself, there are lots of bandits around and a simple herder should also be a warrior. I expected you two to be troble."
Elleith nodded. "We won't be any trouble. Sorry if we trasspassed. We will leave now." Ellieth poked Mark who remained where he was throughout the conversation holding his sword in a fighting position. "Well, are you coming?" She asked.

#54 Asorewen

Asorewen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2856 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:37 PM

Mark grumbled under his breath. He wasn't particulary happy about the fact that he was awakened in such a rude fashion, nor did he seem to trust the stranger. Running his eyes over him, he assesed the young man, but found nothing particulary strange about him, save the fact that daggers were an unusual weapon for a farmer to be proficient in. Shrugging, Mark strapped the greatsword to his back, and picked up his backpack, not before checking its contents. All the stuff seemed to be in its place, so he hanged it about his shoulder, waved to the young farmer, and followed Elleith.

After quietly walking for 15 minutes, he grabbed the young girl's arm and whispered:
"Let's stop for a moment, I have something to tell you."
The girl nodded. Mark sat on a rock, removed his backpack and rummaged inside. He withdrew from there the elven arrow, a small bag of gold, the strange piece of paper, and several maps.

"Now," Mark said "I'm not sure what you've dragged me into. But I'll expect an explanation soon enough, or else I might have only your corpse to protect. I've had the feeling we were being watched back in the forest where we first met. The feeling waned gradually, but left me jumping at my own shadow." Mark paused for a moment to think, then he continued.
"This is an elven arrow. Exceptionally fletched, and very deadly. I found it in the merchant's cart, along with this bag of gold. The arrow was placed there. Then this piece of paper. Normally I wouldn't pay attention to such things, but paper is a rare commodity, and especially high quality one. In fact, the closest city that manufactures paper is at least 20 days from here on horseback. But... take a look on its back. This resembles some kind of seal. And the writing on it... I've only seen it once before, on some papers a stranger brought to our garrison for our commander. He called himself a [i]math-ee-math-itch-in[i] or something like that. If nothing else, it's a curious oddity, but my gut tells me it's much more than that. I'm not sure, but I think that all of there tie somehow. Do you know something that I should?"

#55 Calum

Calum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:19 AM

Slowly, the story came out. The troll listened; silence seemed to be something he was quite good at. The twins, the singing; through it all, his voice continued to occasionally depart one octave for another, at quite random intervals. it was rather embarrassing, but the troll didn't seem to notice. Perhaps he didn't really understand, although his expression was quite sympathetic at times. Eventually, the troll asked him a question; he was becoming quite easy to understand. "Why .. you .. here ?" Jesq interpreted the question correctly; not a philosophical one, but more of a practical one. What was he doing ? It was a good question, what was he doing ? He thought about it; "I want adventure!" he said after a moment. His feelings burst over him like a wave; the whole village, it was all he had ever known, but .. it wasn't enough. There had to be more. Also, he was an elf, who could not sing; what was there for him here ?

The troll nodded sagely, and bounded to his feet. "Come..." he said. Jesq looked at him, puzzled; the troll beckoned again. "Where are we going ?" "Adventure," the troll replied, with his crinkly grin. They set off down the road.

#56 Calum

Calum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:35 AM

Givld had had enough. The tannery stunk, his wife had left him, and his brother had died. He had some rudimentary skills with the sword, and hired on with a caravan which was going south. Leaving him with a few coins in his pocket at some godforsaken outpost, he decided they had done him a favour; at least the tannery was far behind, and he was even beginning to smell like a dwarf again. Having heard of the fabled dwarf city, this was vaguely in his mind as a destination. But he had no idea where it was. Hearing voices, he stole to the side of the road; not knowing much of where he was, it paid not to be too unwary. Coming down the road was, of all things, an elf, with .. a troll ? How odd, he thought. As he watched, the troll stopped, and sniffed the air. Hello, he thought, and was about to make tracks when with several giant strides, before he knew quite what was happening, the troll had him by the collar, and was shaking him rather roughly. Oh well, he thought, it's been a nice life...

"Human .. hide..." the troll said. From what he could tell, the question didn't require much in the way of a response, and for some reason he was having trouble finding his voice; perhaps it had something to do with the fact his collar was up around his ears, and his heart was in his throat. Slowly, but not too slowly, he formulated a response. "I was waiting to see what I was getting myself into there." The troll peered at him and let him down, still holding him by the collar. "What .. want ?" Givld glanced at the boy, who was regarding him a little unnervingly also; maybe a dragon would have been preferable, he thought. Carefully, he answered. Listening slowly, the troll broke into a rather unnerving grin. Givld preferred not to know exactly what was stuck between several of his teeth; there seemed to be still some hair attached to some of it..

"Come .. us" the troll said, loosening his grip on Givld's collar. He gladly complied.