Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

- - - - -

Promoting PK through questing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#26 Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3673 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:31 PM

You had a good idea, and invalidated it with that comment. It's like you are on death row and you just told the governor to zark off right after asking him to pardon you.

#27 Musaki

Musaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 12:06 AM

(From Musaki):
I propose unlimited questing and increased rewards.

The reason?

Simple:

There would be crazy amounts of traffic all throughout the day and night in the keep. Pk fighting would go way up. And it would just be so much more exciting.

I agree with this idea. 8O

#28 Guest_lothos_*

Guest_lothos_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:46 AM

(From Unbeliever):
You had a good idea, and invalidated it with that comment. It's like you are on death row and you just told the governor to zark off right after asking him to pardon you.

Only, I'm not on death row, there is no governor, and I didn't ask for a pardon. A request for clemency is not a even in the same ballpark as this.

The validity of the request stands. I knew before I posted that it would never happen because of how this place is run.

#29 Musaki

Musaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:07 AM

Its not that you have a point, but you have a point. :shifty:

#30 Guest_lothos_*

Guest_lothos_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2005 - 08:19 PM

bump

#31 Kaedhol

Kaedhol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1119 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:38 AM

I think it's a good idea...
Right now keep is active in spurts. People go there, quest some, PK some, then leave after they do their 2 quests, cause there's not much to do while waiting for others to show up.

Perhaps if you add a questmaster in PC instead, that sends you to PK quests also. And giving him some NPK area in PC. :)

#32 Musaki

Musaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 03:06 AM

I think the Baron could be a quest master.

#33 Guest_lothos_*

Guest_lothos_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2005 - 04:37 AM

He is, just without any quests.

#34 Evighetens

Evighetens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4315 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:03 PM

If this idea goes through, I'd advocate the removal of all non-beltane quests from the keep, at the least. Promoting Keep does no good if you still get zarking OV or ToA quests.

#35 Guest_lothos_*

Guest_lothos_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2005 - 04:30 PM

(From Evighetens):
If this idea goes through, I'd advocate the removal of all non-beltane quests from the keep, at the least. Promoting Keep does no good if you still get zarking OV or ToA quests.

Everyone who quests at the keep HATES those quests.

#36 Guest_reich_*

Guest_reich_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2005 - 05:22 PM

this is a good idea, it has my endorsement and campaign contribution

#37 Blueknight

Blueknight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:12 AM

If you aren't going to implement this great idea, at least still take away the stupid non-beltane quests!

PlayerBase - 0. Nobody disagrees! What more do you want? :(

#38 Redemption

Redemption

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1570 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:14 PM

The whole idea behind the 2 quests per qm was to get people questing at other places except their favorite location.
Right now all it did is that people either quest less, or just quests at 2, maybe 3 locations.

But I do not agree with "promoting PK through questing", because it's only promoting pk at Keep, and obviously it's also a favouritable place for a handful of players (and they shouldn't get such a +side).

Furthermore there are players who do not PK, or try to PK. Those players will be somewhat disadvantaged if pkers suddenly start to improve more.

Anyways...
Perhaps you can crack a few holes in my argumentation.
But I'm still against it.

#39 Guest_lothos_*

Guest_lothos_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:20 PM

Ask yourself this question: Who is more important? The immortals or the players? The answer? The players. The immortals haven't done jack squat in years to improve the long-term playability of this game. Think about it... If there were to be no more areas, miniquests or anything added from this moment on, what would change? Nothing. People would continue doing the same thing they do every day: QUEST. Everything added in the last few years has seen the typical initial burst of activity followed by desertion. Areas such as Hotel Hello, Sea Hag, Vir, Ogre Village... All of these areas are largely abandoned. Kessarian's Dungeon? What a total waste of time and resources that was. The two new Faerie Plane towns? Hi, do you know how hard it is for anyone below 240 to actually get there? Not to mention that there is nothing to DO there. No replayability at all.

The "founding" areas of Alyria -- Rune, New Rigel, Sigil and Maldra's Keep remain the most popular places in the game. Everyone who plays long enough will come to realize that there is very little with the standard "runs" to hold your interest once you have explored every possible permutation. Redwing and I entertained ourselves for a while by pushing the envelope on these runs, but that eventually became boring and routine.

What is on the horizon? Villages? Hooray, another set of areas no one cares about. Sure, throw a mark or two in there and everyone will put it on their list to visit once. Maybe even make some quests that go there so everyone can complain about them like they do about Ogre Village quests. A spectacular waste of scarce resources.

Player jobs? Give me a break. As an "alternative to questing"? Yeah, I want to have an in-game career as well as the job I already work 9-10 hours at every day. Maybe if it was an all PK area that would be OK. I predict this will either never happen or be a complete waste of time. Vassago keeps saying it will "be like Tradewars 2002"... Hi, I played that, and there is NO WAY it can work in this game. I played all of those trading "door games", and they are all TURN BASED, you simply can't make that work here without imposing the same kind of limits you do with questing, which means that it will be a bunch of crap.

Where is the ship combat? That at least had some potential. But where is it? What will it look like? There is far more ocean in Alyria than land, how the hell will you find anyone to attack -- assuming you will even be able to attack other ships. Urgh. Somehow I think this will be another addition that will be received with fanfare yet fade into obscurity.

This really leaves nothing but PK. As it stands now, players are punished for this with insane death timers that are inevitable for anyone who PKs no matter what level players you prey upon. Why aren't these "great minds" who are supposed to be helping develop working on actual gameplay instead of areas no one cares a flip about. Fix PK. Listen to the players. They want to PK. Make it fun. Sparking, decaying equipment is not fun. Huge death timers are not fun. Fix it.

Anything that gives players reason to hang around in a PK area is a plus. No quest limit at Maldra's Keep is the first step to a better game.

#40 Musaki

Musaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:33 AM

Amen. :clap:

#41 Guest_lothos_*

Guest_lothos_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:28 PM

Implement this, or at least comment. Bump-diddly.

#42 Raistlin

Raistlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:48 AM

Even though I'm not a fan of Lothos, I agree.

Maldra's has always been, and still is, the best place to quest in the game. The limit should be removed there, wether or not it helps to promote PK.

#43 Veerat

Veerat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:38 AM

You make some good points Lothos but you also make some very pro-"PKcetric" points, regardless of whether YOU think something is fun or sucks doesn't mean the rest of the playerbase does. I do agree with you that the questing limit at Maldra's should be removed, it would be more fun. However, saying that ship combat, villages, etc. wouldn't improve upon the game is ridiculous since it's nothing more than speculation.

#44 Sabu

Sabu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8615 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:39 AM

...just like your saying that it would improve it, is speculation as well.

For what it's worth, I'm inclined to agree with Lothos.

#45 Sabu

Sabu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8615 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:40 AM

Also, note the name of the thread. "Promoting PK", not "promoting ship combat".

#46 Rhombur

Rhombur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:59 AM

Id like to add, that i agree for the most part with Lothos. There do need to be some alternatives to questing. Perhapes key mobiles that are on limited repops could award Quest and Practice Points as well. this would reward people doing runs with more than just items and AP in some cases. This would revitalize areas such as Hag or Hotel Hello, as well as Focault and other areas that are not seiged very often.

Or have items that scatter that are redeemable at quest masters that reward either qps or practices.

As it is, there are very few areas that reward anything as an alternative to experience or gold. Both of these are found bountifully throughout the land. Mini quests reward with equipment or experiance. Marks are the only major form of practice collection aside from questing.

The one area that rewards practices for completion is Tavern of the Boars, but you can only do this once what? every 2 weeks. once a month? Thats just ridiculous. Lothos' point is very valid. If the Admin wishes we do something other than QUEST, then areas that validate this wish, need to be balanced.

#47 Evighetens

Evighetens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4315 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:34 PM

Go crazy on mobs in the hopes of getting an orb :roll: :roll:

#48 Veerat

Veerat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:58 PM

...just like your saying that it would improve it, is speculation as well.

If you're referring to my post Sabu - that my agreeing with Lothos is speculation, then yes, you're right, it is. The point I was trying to get across is that we don't need to get all fired up over speculation. Nice try at whatever it was you were trying to be clever with... :mrgreen:

#49 Evighetens

Evighetens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4315 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:37 AM

No need to refer to the speculation on the referation of the speculation in the case in which neither party speculated who would be referring what speculation to the speculators and referrment to the referred.

#50 Kaedhol

Kaedhol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1119 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:17 AM

Adding a second Beltane QM would be a good idea.
In an NPK area inside PC.