Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Important mob repop sucks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#26 Acemix

Acemix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:47 PM

Every quest in the system must be able to be completed denying that is stupid.

#27 Asorewen

Asorewen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2856 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:38 AM

Quests should always be possible to complete, save when the skill of the player disallows it. The system, or anything pertaining to random randomness should not and must not impose restrictions on a quest. *cough*Sathan*cough*Prisoner*cough*

#28 Pika

Pika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1637 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:49 AM

Lothos: Think without the bounds of the game bro. In game Vendredi expects you to be able to go blah blah kill Bloodbane or whatever, but out of game, from an administrator's point of view, you can't just have players doing EASY menial tasks (albiet that's mostly what happens) or everyone would just quest their balls off and have 10,000,000 pracs.

All quests are designed to be completed, but some, under feasible and acceptable circumstances, can not be completed.

That seems to me better than every quest always beatable. Even if it were real, a local lord doesn't necessarily know the wherabouts of his quest goals at that very moment.

I say bring back random quests.

#29 Asorewen

Asorewen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2856 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:09 AM

I agree, as long as those feasible and acceptable circumstances are due to the player, and not due to the system.

Would you like me to write a quest that involves killing Tzpoatli? No? Then shush.

#30 Vintara

Vintara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6715 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:29 AM

You're wrong. Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control. It's the way of the world.

#31 Asorewen

Asorewen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2856 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:31 AM

But World <> MM.

Anyway, you get what I wanted to say.

#32 Vintara

Vintara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6715 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:43 AM

This isn't about the fantasy/realism debate, it's about creating a believable game world. The fact that things happen when you're not there, people make mistakes or screw you over, and sometimes you can't find what you're looking for - this is what makes Alyria seem so alive.

#33 Asorewen

Asorewen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2856 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:00 AM

Yes, but you see, it's not that simple. There are plenty of things that are beyond your control at one time. However, there's a thin line here. The line between enoying yourself, and being frustrated as hell. Everyone likes a challenge every now and then. But care must be taken so that challenge doesn't turn into frustration. In RL you can't just Quit;Y, but you cand do that in MM. Obviously, there are variations in what people consider challenge, and what people consider frustration, a frustration limit if you will. Care must be taken so that a reasonable amount of people think that the game is challenging, but not frustrating, or else a good part of the playerbase (save a few select hardcore fans) will just migrate to greener pastures.

Which brings me to my point. People react better to things that they can't do because they're not good enough, but they hope to be good enough someday, than to things that are flat out unfair due to their inability to control it. Certainly, one or two instances of this won't kill the game, but care must be taken that those 'one' or 'two' don't turn into 'ten' or 'twenty'.

#34 Vintara

Vintara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6715 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:39 PM

Things that are completely random are annoying, I agree. The fact that Sigil shops are closed at night, or another player killed your unique NPC or whatever, that's flavour.

#35 Guest_lothos_*

Guest_lothos_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 05:56 PM

(From Asorewen):
<>

!=, loser.

#36 Guest_lothos_*

Guest_lothos_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 05:59 PM

The randomness of the "real world" is caused by the interaction of real people, not by some silly timer or item that won't load on a mob because there are 100000000000 of them sitting in trunks. If a PLAYER kills a mob you need, buys all the items from a shop or a big giant meteor destroys Sigil, then yeah I'm OK with a quest not being completed. But to create a quest that requires 9 planets, 20 moons and 4 galaxies to align to finish is just stupid.

#37 Asorewen

Asorewen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2856 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:53 AM

Pascal and Delphi synatxes are easier to understand than C.

I agree with Lothos though.