Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

PK Quests

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 Waylander

Waylander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:44 AM

Dips foot into the water to see if this little idea will die from the frost or perhaps become acceptable.

Its only a rough idea, so please dont be too harsh, I have seen alot of people saying `PK` is dead perhaps this might apeal to some of those people.

Open to all levels from all quest masters, the same as the PK quests from lord Maldra, but with a slight twist. if accepted a challenge is sent to their target very much like arena challenges, if both parties accept then the hunt is on, both parties are now able to only each other anywhere in the world except safe rooms, also when either of you leave or enter areas a message is flashed up on their oppenents screen, somthing like Waylander was last seen leaving/entering Sigil, once you finally track each other down the fight is on, all normal
rules will apply, eg cant have form members helping etc, the final twist to this type of quest would be that the winner will reep the rewards so even if you did not get this quest, you still could get rewarded, but only if you win.

hides behind a very large fireproof shield

#2 Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3673 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:10 PM

I like the idea of just being able to do it aside from normal quests. IE go to Agrippa and type maybe quest pk - and it gives you the name of someone currently in PK (an addition would be it would be someone of opposite reputation as you). It would be subject to the same timer as questing, but it would allow you to do one more quest in addition to the 5 you can currently do. And you could only do one quest at a time (PvP or PvE).

#3 Tyrus

Tyrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:16 PM

I like it :clap: ! I sugget giving this to Maldra only.

#4 Waylander

Waylander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:12 AM

I dont think these should be limited to just Maldra, these quests could offer lower rewards than Maldra currently offers but be available to all the other quest masters as I am sure they have questers they would like to see dead :D

This could also help revive pk as so many say its dieing, and making the rewards available to either party puts a new twist to questing.

#5 Blueknight

Blueknight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:24 PM

Good idea.

#6 Vintara

Vintara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6715 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:37 AM

Sounds fun.

#7 Tyrus

Tyrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:28 PM

We need some imm attention here.

#8 Kerrick

Kerrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:25 PM

pfft, like an imm is going to look at this because tyrus said so.

good idea tho way :D

#9 Veerat

Veerat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:49 PM

I like this. This is similar in some ways to my bounty idea. I think you'd have to implement a couple of things though.

:think: You couldn't PK people from your own clan. This is more about someone "throwing" the contest for your benefit.

:think: The rewards would have to be pracs and/or experience only, with a limit of like 2 of these quests per game day...again to prevent people from abusing this and "throwing" the match thereby racking up huge gains. Or better yet, make the rewards sometimes be a nodrop, nouncurse, noauction, nodonate, etc. item that's neat but not overpowering.

Just my 2 cents.

:clap: Great idea! :clap:

#10 Tyrus

Tyrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:55 PM

I think the reward should be, QP, Pracs, Gold and XP. Like any other quest. But should be higher than other quests. I do like the limit though 2 of these per 24 hours. It shouldn't count if its declined though. And also there could be like different modes for the quest. You could have a timed version where it depends on how many times each person dies at the end of say 1 hour? Or you could just have whoever dies first version. And if you have a timed version Their could be instant reincarnations. Unless it was in CPK?

#11 Zellian

Zellian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:30 PM

I don't see any scenario where this would work for more than 20% of possible targets. Most people don't pk so they would just reject it anyway.

#12 Zellian

Zellian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:40 PM

Okay, maybe that was a bit cynical..

But before you start thinking this would "rejuvenate" PK, maybe you should look at where the problem actually lies. Person A requests a pk quest. Person B sees "Person A(who I know can kill me) is hunting you." Person B declines obviously, because who's going to fight a losing battle?

The problem lies with the players, not the system. I would like the idea if maybe the targets weren't notified that they were being hunted and aren't given the option to decline(much like archons aren't given the option to decline a hunter and don't know a hunter's coming until it shows up?).

Just my thoughts on it.

#13 Kadd

Kadd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:00 PM

Why not make it like the treasure hunter guy. Where its a location other than a QM to get this. Also all parties involved should have the option to decline. Without the option you are forcing someone to do something they may not want to do. Wouldnt it also make sense for this to be restricted to hunting someone higher level than yourself? Afterall why would someone lvl 120 want to be hunted by someone way out of their class. If it were you given someone to hunt above your level its more of a challenge. Also class restrict it, would be pointless for a 120 to have to kill Redwing, or one of the other top archons in the game, but they might be interested in going after a 180.

#14 Evighetens

Evighetens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4315 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:59 PM

I fight losing battles.
Not everyone is concerned about their record.

#15 Peak

Peak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:15 AM

What if u have to sign something with the quest masters, if u want to take part of the "pk quest".
And you woulodnt be able to turn one down, you'll just get some kind of warning thats someone is hunting you.

now that would work for everyone, oh and if you want to be removed from the "pk list" maybe you would have to pay a fee + not being able to join it for a week or so

#16 Teriklar

Teriklar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:33 AM

I'm not sure why people even think these PK quests are the answer. There has only been one time I've heard of someone who received this quest and properly carried it out by hunting down and killing their target.

Every other time I hear of someone getting a PK quest, it is quickly followed by a tell asking if the target would be willing to sacrifice themselves in a PK room so the questor could receive 10 practice points or however much it is. I remember being a victim of that practice simply because for the 5 seconds I was in PK for the past hour, someone received a Maldra quest to kill me. Sure I was in a PK room but I hardly consider myself to be a PKer. That person didn't bother trying to find me but sent a tell right then pasting me the quest line and asking to kill me. That's not PK, that's begging.

I do appreciate that the Imms threw PK quests in to satiate the hordes. However, in practice, it isn't the magic answer to PK that everyone is looking for but just another type of quest phase. If you actually care about PK, then go to places like the Tower of Art, Dungeon Avarice, Maldra's Keep, or other places that are full of PK rooms. People will come by those areas, you just have to be patient. Of course, PK is a different beast from low-level slaying, but that's why we've got the outlaw status.

#17 Tyrus

Tyrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:46 AM

Did you read the thread? This is a totally different idea.

#18 Teriklar

Teriklar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:33 AM

Yeah I did read it, although I notice I missed some of the points. I still don't think that PK and quests should be tied together in such a manner. PK shouldn't get rewarded with quest points and practices, the reward is the fight's victory. This just gets people to hang around quest masters even more.

There's several issues with the implementation.

*If you make it so that people gain personal PK flags (like clan PK), then you force people to participate in PK anywhere whether they wish to or not.

*If you make it a challenge-type request, then as per Zellian's comment people will say no and invalidate your quest. This could happen for many reasons like not wanting to fight a particular person.

*If you don't notify the target, and you don't give them personal PK flags, then you are stuck with how people get through Maldra's PK quests, and that's by bargaining for the win and not by hunting and killing for the most part.

If you start adding all these weird checks and balances and voluntary sign up systems, then you lose track of the fact that clan PK already exists and you don't have to be a hero or archon to participate. I participated in clan PK at lower levels when I didn't have a chance against heroes and archons who would come after me, and it was a good learning experience to find out how to stay safe and escape from battles.

And I go back to my original point that PK should not get rewarded with any more tangible things than what you already get, wins on your record and some gear if you catch someone in CPK. If you want to revitalize PK, get out there and fight people, don't force more unwilling people into the fight.

#19 Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3673 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:42 AM

This isn't really an answer for anything. It's an alternative to those who want to PvP and receive rewards for it.

#20 Tyrus

Tyrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:10 PM

What he said. Besides its better than having nothing at all.

#21 Vorn

Vorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:42 PM

This is a good idea. I don't think quest masters should give these kind of quests out though. Maybe there should be special hunter posts set up in towns where people could go and get these type of quests.

#22 Tyrus

Tyrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:56 PM

Ye, like each town has one. A shadier quest master :clap: !!!

#23 Dragish

Dragish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:24 PM

why not instead of making it kill player X, its kill any player in this zone.

#24 Tyrus

Tyrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:42 PM

That, would make it unbalancing.

#25 Elggs

Elggs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:23 PM

How about an assassins guild for handing out these types of quests?