Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Hermione

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Calum

Calum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:58 PM

The ember at the end of the foul-smelling cheroot glowed brightly as the grizzled old man behind the desk drew on it heavily. Emitting a cloud of blue smoke, he looked the young dracon standing before him up and down.

"Why do you want the job ?" he growled. The young dracon collected herself. 'Well, sir," she said, "I can climb a rigging, and I can swing a sword. My dad taught me these things when I was a pup. And, I'm not afraid of pirates." The young dracon puffed up her chest, and tried to look defiant. A small wisp of steam escaped her nostrils.

The man looked at her appraisingly. Reaching into a drawer, he pulled out a slip of paper, and handed it over. "Go down to the docks and find the Bay Runner, it's a drakkar; good for a first shipping. Give this to the captain, tell him I said I thought you needed some scutwork.

The young dracon felt her chest swelling with pride. Scuttling a small boy on her way out the door, she managed to fling a "thank you!" behind her on her way to the docks, for what she was sure would be a great adventure.

Gazing thoughtfully after the young dracon, the crusty old ex-sailor drew heavily again on his cheroot before rising to take three steps to the door, closing it again. Must have been born in a tent, he thought.

#2 Asorewen

Asorewen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2856 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:36 AM

The young drow was pacing about on the deck of the "Bay Runner". Although he wished that they would leave this godforsaken port soon, the captain had a different opinion, and no amount of gold or threats could sway him.

Not that the currency he was carrying would sway any of those foul-mouther barbarians, he thought. After all, trying to buy yourself a meal with foreign currency was a poor bet indeed.

All the universe seemed to be conspiring against him. First, he lost almost all his fortune in fake admantite mine shares. Then he was sacked from his cushy job over at "P. Mellers and sons". Then, for some reason, he just decided to listen to the advice of a 'friend' and board a ship to a distant land where, supposedly, they needed good engineers to rebuild after a devastating war. Needless to say, the ship, after being chased by pirates, had to outrun them into a totally different direction, into uncharted waters where it met its untimely demise in some foggy straits. All in all,for the past few days, he was chased by bandits, shot at by cannibals, clawed his way past thick jungle, only to end up in a backwater port, which, unfortunately, didn't take kindly to outlanders, engineers, or foreign currency.
"Not that those barbarians know anything else to build than wooden shacks." he thought, rather dissapointed.

All in all, he was lucky to have found a place on a ship that would set sail within reasonable time. As to where it would set sail, he just didn't care anymore. Just as long he got away from the flea-infested jungle land.

Just as he was going to curse his fate some more, he heard some strange sounds down on the pier below.

#3 Guest_firefrost_*

Guest_firefrost_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:19 PM

The young human was approaching down the deck, holding his hand axe and looking around what to do.

He started to walk down the deck, shoving a bard out of his way and muttering something about 'useless music.' He then took his axe and made a hole in each ship with it, hoping to find something in it.

He then recollected himself. He then looked about in his mind, thinking about the events which led to him bashing ships. First of all, he blew all his cash on ale and beer. Then he was fired from his job at the armour shop in Tellerium, so he boarded a ship as a stowaway to a random city, and now he's here at a dock, raiding ships.

Just as he was going to start slashing ships again, one caught his eye. A drakkar called the Bay Runner, and he thought he might as well try his luck, so he climbed slowly on the ship and stowed away in a crate, but not before shoving a bard into the water.

#4 Shelle

Shelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:07 AM

Wrapped in the old, ragged cloak Violla blended it in with the crowd. She stood on the pier watching the only thing that might be considered a ship moving up and down the waves. The small fisherman boats did not count. This ship was capable of crossing the ocean although it creaked like it was about to fall apart. Ships rarely came to their port, even more rarely left it after being pillaged. Whoever went aboard Bay Runner were surely up for a treacherous, torturous journey. Still Violla envied them, anything was better than staying in the port. She came in hopes to get aboard unnoticed.

Her life was bearable so far but few weeks ago she caught an eye of a local scum who owned a small shipping business. Compared to the others in port he was wealthy living in a large, wooden house not far from docks. Violla hated the drunken, arrogant ogre. He had three wives before; his first wife went insane and the other two died of beatings. One day he came to her father and offered a price the old drunk could not refuse.

Violla wondered how much she was sold for. Probably a lot although old man never shown a bit of kindness to his daughter. He was like a piranha once he sensed interest and knew of a profit he could have. That

#5 Guest_firefrost_*

Guest_firefrost_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 02:51 PM

Firefrost was getting awfully hungry, however he was in the smallest crate possible, as luck may have it. Luck often worked that way.

If he had been a bard or something, he might not have made it. However, he was a barbarian, the warrior class of the warrior classes. he rolled up into a ball, then suddenly popped open and destroyed the crate, which no one hopefully noticed. He got up and noticed a loser holding a harp with his back to him. Firefrost put away his axe and grabbed the bard, heaving him up and throwing him overboard and throwing the harp after him.

He looked around and spotted a fey woman who definitely didn't belong on the boat. He approached her as quietly as possible (which isn't very quietly) because he had heard about the fey, a bloodsucking race of faeries whose queen wanted to rule this world. He suddenly stepped on a creaky board and stood there frozen, wondering if she heard.

#6 Asorewen

Asorewen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2856 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:11 PM

"How can one think in all this racket!" the drow thought, disgruntled.

"First, bards start falling in the water. Then barbarians start popping out of crates. Then, some more bards fall in the water. All that's missing now is a dracon barging on the deck waving a sword around."

The drow sighed heavily as he removed a rather torn book from under his cape and opened it.

(OOC: Firefrost, you're a bit disruptive. Could you tone your enthusiasm just a tad? This is supposed to be a ship, not the Royal Albert Hall. I doubt there are that many bards on it :) .)

#7 Shelle

Shelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:27 PM

Violla quickly moved away to the starboard hopeful that no one noticed her. She roguishly glanced around but no one seemed to notice her. SPLASH! This time the woman had the leisure of watching another bard fall into water as she was pretending to be a passenger. Her smile was almost happy when a board creaking behind her made her jump. Violla turned around and the wind gust blew off the hood of her cloak. A human with black hair and dark green eyes was revealed. Unconciously she gripped the hilt of her knife under the cloak. She stared with challenge at a man who had approached her without her noticing.

(OOC: Lolz Firefrost I think you pushing bards into water is funny and also you are doing a good character roleplaying. I must say though, Violla is my alt and she is human. I rp human rogue not fey.)

#8 Dragish

Dragish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:21 PM

a disgruntled halfling slowly made his way on board, his gaze slowly crossing the width of the ship, eyeing each ocupent in turn, his gaze stayed on the crazy barbarian in the wreckage of a crate. stroking his axe absent mindly he made his way to the captains quarters

#9 Calum

Calum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:04 PM

She was at home, with her parents. It was her 6th birthday, and all her friends had just gone home. she was soooooooo sick, she'd eaten so much of the cook's green beans and mash...

A sense of discord ran through her as Hermione slowly waked, realising where she was. Her stomach, unfortunately, seemed to be telling the truth. The boat rocked every moment, and her stomach followed. Some took pleasure in her misery, grinning at her as they passed her bunk where she rolled and moaned. Others, like the captain, and the cook, just scowled. She moaned some more before realising no-one was going to rescue her out here, and sinking miserably into unconsciousness again.

The first few days out had been bad enough. She had scoured every quarter of the deck, sometimes with her nails, with the captain scowling at her as he passed every step of the way. The bosun had then decided that the rails needed polishing as well, and the next few days she had spent dizzy from the fumes, her arms aching from the constant scrubbing. Not thinking about sword practice, only to awaken to these rolling seas, their motion mimicked by her roiling stomach. She hadn't moved from her bunk in days. Oh well, she thought, at least she wasn't costing any rations; her last thought before her stomach contracted again and a thin stream of bile trickled down her chin in the general direction of the bucket beside her bunk. She hadn't even got to scale the rigging yet, she thought, as her stomach heaved again.

#10 Dragish

Dragish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:29 PM

watching the young sick dracon dry heave for the tenth time that morning, all he could do was shake his head. the remedies his friends had made for him the first time he was out of see had long ago vanished from his mind. what where in those blasted concotions that settled the mind and body anyhow? feeling disgusted with himself, he heaved his way to the to the deck of the ship. freeing a small unsharpened axe from one of the bags he carried, he started to practice slowly rocking with the motion of the ship.

#11 Itznak

Itznak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:15 PM

*looks at dragish* "excuse me kind sir, it appears things here are not what they appear too be. I was trapped in a cage on this here ship and the last thing i remember was hitting my head real hard up against the bars. The dreams were ohhhh soooo vivid I recall you were there and quite a few others. It was a terrible, horrible dream although all of you were friendly. I was a dragon-like creature which I had never seen before. There was alot of trials and bloodshed and just when things couldn't get any more strange, i returned in all my fey glory. I know this sounds crazy but we meaning you and the others in the dream were actually close friends. Don't fret they only locked me up for fear that i would feast upon them. Would you mind if perhaps instead of watching these people vomit, we could rejoice in life with a feast?

#12 Calum

Calum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:07 PM

Things were looking up. While the crew did not exactly treat her with respect, and she got some strange looks from some, and not a few leers, after several weeks on the water, her stomach finally seemed to realise it wasn't going anywhere soon, and had settled in to behave.

Things were quiet out on the water. A balmy night and the stars were out, the captain had issued an extra ration of rum. If she had been at home, she would have said they were having a party. Some of the sailors were dancing a merry jig, whilst a nervous-looking bard accompanied them on a well-crafted violin. The bard seemed a bit distracted, and kept glancing around as if he expected to be set upon at any moment. But the music was good. Oh well, she thought. Bards, who can understand them.

Hermione sighed, and stretched contentedly. Life was good!

#13 Guest_firefrost_*

Guest_firefrost_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:02 AM

(OOC:Hey Shelle, sorry about that, but it doesn't matter to me, because Firefrost is pretty much a moronic dolt.)

HE blinked twice. I could've sworn that was a fey. Oh well, an enemy's an enemy. Firefrost tightened his grip on his axe and ran towards the person he was trying to sneak up on. He ran towards Violla and swung his axe down when he was close enough. However, the boat decided to pitch at that moment and he rolled to the side, rolling into a bunch of crates.

#14 Cyrell

Cyrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3532 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:42 AM

Dismaleufonix was furious. Not only had he spent that morning trying to sing to an uninterested crowd who had barely thrown him a few copper pieces, then he had been rudely shoved off the ship that was supposed to take him away from this miserable wretch of a city. He pulled himself out of the harbour, up onto a pier and shook the muck from his long hair. He had lost his harp. Ah, there it was, about to be hit by that schooner. Oh well, nothing for it now. He stalked up the street, people laughing at his wet clothes, as he headed in the direction of the Aviary. By Gath, that barbarian was going to get it. The Aviculturalist owed him a favour he was about to cash in on.