Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

A Note

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Calum

Calum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:50 AM

Some of you may have noticed the recent thread titled Unseelie.

Coinspinner, Shelle and I are using this initial story as the basis for an ongoing story of the same name.

We do appreciate people's input in this forum, however due to our inexperience, it is a little tricky incorporating material which may not be part of an overall plot.

We encourage people to contribute to this forum; indeed many of the stories I have written myself have taken but a few minutes; half an hour at most, and are no less enjoyable for all that.

Storytelling is a natural human endeavour; I would certainly like to see more contributors to this forum, however I digress.

Coinspinner has in fact encouraged Shelle and I to create a plot for this story; it did not take a great deal of encouragement I can assure you :) However, for those that read this, we would ask you to enjoy this thread as it were, and hopefully let the three of us make of it what we will. This has of course been tried in the past, in other stories, as many of you would know. Practice makes perfect :)

Wish us all the best :mrgreen:

With thanks,

Cal et al.

#2 Shelle

Shelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:31 AM

There are also few courtsey rules without which an rp cannot function. Please follow them, at least in any other rp I know these rules are always applied. If you require more explanation please ask here.

First: A human player controls a certain rp character. No other player may post actions, emotions or speech for that character.

For example, Coinspinner wrote:

Turning the corner out of the guards walkway he bumps into two entitys....

Startled he shifts into his glorious sidhe form draws the blade Uncalling from its scabbard, preparing a spell it immediately responds encasing him in a shell of ice. Before he can act however he hears the lilting elvish voice and the equally startled but dry humor in the voice of a fey. "WAIT!" he crys. "Coins, I am so disapointed you seek to end our friendship in such a way" Shelle drawls. "Put your weapon away and come with me, I have much to inform you of.

The highlighted part should not have been posted. Coin may stage an attack, however how Shelle and Calum react to it is up to them to decide.

Second: Once the rp is in progress other players cannot barge in and post whatever comes to their mind. They must ask for a permission to join, on this thread not where the story is written, as well as they must provide profile for their character and discuss how they intent to insert their character into the story so the plot is not disturbed. Anyone posting without permission should be deleted immediately.

Third: This thread is for the plans and questions related to the Unseelie rp. The players and readers can offer ideas here in case they cannot meet in game.

Calum I was wondering why have you created a separate rp thread which continues the first one?

#3 Calum

Calum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:42 AM

Well I just did it that way. I can (or you can) append it to the other one if you like, i thought of that. It doesn't really bother me. People that see II. will no doubt look for part one; those that haven't read it already. It makes it into manageable portions.

I don't like to talk too much (at least here) about stuff like this; catch me in game, Shelle, or I-mail.

:yy:

#4 Shelle

Shelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:53 AM

Ok, though I prefer to keep the story in one place and piece. The scattered pieces like pages tend to get lost, get tangled or accidenly scribbled on. Since some person we never heard of before barged in on part 2 and they were still not deleted I continued the posts on the part 1. :)

I rather not place too much discussion here either however it is efficient because we have a written log of our ideas. In speech we may have a good idea but then we can forget it so it would be nice to keep some info here.

#5 Vintara

Vintara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6715 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:12 AM

Personally, I don't like to delete stuff unless I have to. I didn't see anything wrong with any of the posts. If you feel that something doesn't belong on the thread, please point it out and I'll consider it (not that I'm the only moderator). I don't want to stifle anyone's creativity unnecessarily. :D

#6 Vannel

Vannel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:24 AM

broke my heart. :cry:
i never knew other pple could express their creativity in adding on to the story. was under the impression that it was like a multi-authored story where everyone is able to participate. guess not. delete my post then. i shall never 'barge' into anyone's story ever. and here i thought i could have abit of fun on a public board.

#7 Shelle

Shelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:47 AM

Thank you Vintara. :D

Many people are ignorant to the basic rp rules so they make posts as they do, this doesn't mean they should not be corrected. Explaining to them their mistake does not have to be stiffling. If people wish to be creative they can start their own rp or write a fanfic or ask currently running rp whether they can join. I don't mind others posting, however often the comments they make completely disturb the mood and the plot of the story because often their character pops out of thin air and there are sentences that contradict the details of the setting or other elements described earlier by the rp participants.

It's too late to delete them however I can say exactly what was wrong with many posts.

Rathas destroyed the mood of the story. There was a sense of mystery and intensity. Two beings met and they don't know much about the world of another. That made an impression of Unseelie to be very rarely visited by anyone rather then feys. Suddenly a minotaur appears with a horse wondering around the castle. I know in the game there is nothing unusual about it however rp often creates modifications closer to life. For instance in rp people avoid slaying million things because it seems barbaric, although in game it is not.

Red didn't care for the story. He just wished to make a sarcastic remark.

Ven took over Calum's character and added feelings and thoughts that character didn't have. We talked with Calum earlier in game and he had something else planned.

#8 Shelle

Shelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:57 AM

Vann I'm sorry. We didn't mean to stiffle you. There is a diffenrece between rp and multi-authored stories. Doing what you have done is fine in m-a.

RP functions differently. Role playing implies a person crates a character and gives that character a personality and history then they follow the role of that character. The players in the rp control their characters only. Think of it like a theatre play where a person playing Romeo cannot also be Juliet. In m-a people don't have a role as actors, it is almost like all of them are script writers.

#9 Vintara

Vintara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6715 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:59 AM

I don't know what you have planned any more than the other posters did, so it's hard for me to make a judgment based on that. Redemption's post for example may not have been entirely serious, but I didn't feel that it was interfering enough to warrant deletion. Next time, let me know. I read the board regularly when there's something to read. ;)

#10 Shelle

Shelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:06 AM

That is why it is important to ask whether the group wants you there before you join. RP is just like any other child game. If you see a group of people play dodge ball you don't run up to the middle of the court pushing everyone out of the way, grab a ball and toss it at someone. You must ask first whether they have enough players on the team and if they want another one.