Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

reward disparity...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
147 replies to this topic

#1 Minotorious

Minotorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5271 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:23 AM

why does

This quest is called 'The Elder Council Calls!', for Adventurers levels 60 to 120.
Lady Templeton is the mistress in charge of this quest.
Description of The Elder Council Calls!:
I have received a message that an evil Fey has murdered a significant
member of the Gonstache Family. The Gonstche family holds three high
positions in the Dwarf Elder council and they have sent word that we must
help get news through to the other families across the land. Many of the
pixie messengers have built their homes near town fountains. I want you to
visit each of these pixie messengers and tell them what has happened, so
they can warn their respective dwarf families of this new threat. You will
need to seek out the messengers in Rune, Sigil, Tellerium, New Rigel, and
Lowangen as quickly as possible!
Upon successful completion of this quest you can receive up
to 73 quest points, 7 practice points, 31000 experience points, and 22000 gold pieces.
You have 287 minutes remaining to complete this quest.
The Elder Council Calls! consists of:
Phase 1: Journey to Rune Courtyard.
Phase 2: Journey to Temple of the Earth.
Phase 3: *Journey to Palazzo Fountain.
Phase 4: Journey to New Rigel Town Square.
Phase 5: Journey to Lowangen Town Square.

have nearly the same reward as

This quest is called 'Political Debate', for Adventurers levels 60 to 100.
Lady Templeton is the master in charge of this quest.
Description of Political Debate:
Ah, you have perfect timing! Recently I have been having problems with various politicians feuding with each other. Nothing is getting done and the residents of our fair town are growing angry. This needs to stop once and for all before it goes too far. This is why I am asking for your assistance as you have proven to be very helpful when a Lord or Lady requires your help. Please visit our local politicians and try to convince them to get along. While you are at it, snoop around a bit and see if you sense anything out of the ordinary. You will be well rewarded upon your return with a full report of your success!
Upon successful completion of this quest you can receive up
to 60 quest points, 7 practice points, 24000 experience points, and 8000 gold pieces.
You have 200 minutes remaining to complete this quest.
Political Debate consists of:
Phase 1: Journey to Main Foyer of Cityhall.
Phase 2: Visit a city clerk.
Phase 3: Visit the mayor.
Phase 4: Journey to Templeton City Courthouse.
Phase 5: Visit Judge Strom.
Phase 6: Visit Federal Judge Powers.
Phase 7: Journey to Entrance to the Laveau Estate.
Phase 8: Journey to Senator Laveau's Private Study.
Phase 9: Visit Senator Laveau.

when one takes 15-30 minutes depending on travel availability, and the other takes 60 seconds?

#2 Rorthron

Rorthron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1256 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:27 PM

You're right, the second quest is vastly under-rewarding for the effort. :snooty: :whistle:

#3 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:31 PM

Both of these quests are over-rewarding.

#4 Xarlia

Xarlia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:05 PM

Does it really matter that much? Does it upset you IRL that one of those quests gives too many pracs for the effort and risk? Is there some sort of rule stating that all quests have to be exactly equivalent, with no quests that are slightly better or worse? If I were you I'd just take the second quest as a bonus and be done with it. Also, political intermediates usually get overrewarded so I don't really see a role-playing issue here either.

#5 Kayot

Kayot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:07 PM

It makes me cry IRL. :(

#6 Vaine

Vaine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1472 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:28 AM

Hardly.

#7 Sprat

Sprat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:16 AM

Lady Templeton has had to summon a couple of those tall castle guards to hustle me out a few times after I got one of these quests, because I was a bit, um, overly effusive in my response. :oops: :quiet:

#8 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:35 AM

7 pracs, are you kidding? I'm a hero and half of my quests reward 8.

#9 Duende

Duende

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1619 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:50 AM

The quest guidelines were not being followed when these quests' rewards were being assigned. I've fixed them to follow the guidelines.

#10 Vaine

Vaine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1472 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:03 PM

I'm a hero and half of my quests reward 8.

There's your problem.

Lowering quest rewards will do absoloutely nothing positive for this game. But hey, if that's what you want, that's what you want.

#11 Phreak

Phreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:26 PM

All lowering quest rewards will do is make people quest more. People already spend way too much time questing.

#12 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:09 PM

Your implication seems to be that raising quest rewards has done something positive for the game, an easily refuted premise.

#13 Vaine

Vaine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1472 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:20 AM

Your implication seems to be that raising quest rewards has done something positive for the game, an easily refuted premise.

And what sort of raises have occured? One or two practices here and there? If I'm horribly, horribly mistaken, please correct me.

#14 Katran

Katran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1495 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:08 AM

(From Scrooge):

I concur.

:(

#15 Cyrell

Cyrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3532 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:19 PM

(From Phreak):
All lowering quest rewards will do is make people quest more. People already spend way too much time questing.

Agreed. Some will also go do something else more productive with their time as the bar (definitely not of skill) gets raised higher and higher.

#16 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

Two is the difference between five (a reasonable high-end reward for a late second classer) and seven (altogether too high a reward for a second classer).

#17 Vaine

Vaine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1472 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:20 PM

Why do you see the need to promote class camping? If I'm not mistaken, I recall staff members saying repeatedly that class camping is the last thing they want.

So, why do you argue in favor of it?

#18 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:43 PM

I'm not arguing in favor of class camping, I'm arguing in favor of lower rewards for second class quests. Your argument is a red herring and lacking substance to boot.

#19 Vaine

Vaine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1472 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:52 PM

Arguing to lower the rewards that you are only promotes class camping. You are indeed promoting it.

And I don't really have an argument. I'm stating what is already common knowledge and has been said god knows how many times.

#20 Drahylin

Drahylin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1175 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:09 AM

(From Vaine):
Arguing to lower the rewards that you are only promotes class camping. You are indeed promoting it.

And I don't really have an argument. I'm stating what is already common knowledge and has been said god knows how many times.

By lowering the lower classes rewards, it promotes multiclassing since you don;t have to do nearly as many quests to get your pp. It would also help if the higher class quest rewards were in fact raised slightly.

#21 Cyrell

Cyrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3532 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:05 AM

(From Scrooge):
I'm not arguing in favor of class camping, I'm arguing in favor of lower rewards for second class quests. Your argument is a red herring and lacking substance to boot.

I thought you were intelligent? The only *efficient* way to get practices is to quest. Thereby, lowering rewards will encourage people to quest more and promote dissatisfaction to boot. Is this rocket science?

#22 Vintara

Vintara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6715 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:23 AM

I agree with Scrooge. The obsessive compulsion to practice all your skills before multi-classing is what encourages class camping.

#23 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:03 AM

Vaine, in a slightly humorous twist of irony you make the claim that your conclusion should be considered axiomatic pretty much because you said so, making the very assumption axiomatic. While an interesting exercise in recursion, I actually do disagree with your claim as does Drahylin (who sets a useful example by supplying albeit confusing and perhaps invalid substance to his claim) and, apparently, Vintara, so your claim cannot be considered an axiom to this audience.

Cyrell, thanks for adding some evidence to support Vaine's prior red-herring. But, as Vintara implies, your argument begs the question.

#24 Cyrell

Cyrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3532 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:55 AM

Whatever either of you say, the only efficient way to get practices is to repeat the same quests over and over again (yes, even if you move around, as I did). Whether or not someone chooses to practice "everything" or only what they need in order to move on is irrelevant - the time either of them spend will only be increased when quest rewards are lowered. The person trying to practice everything (i.e. the class camper) won't care because they don't have a life anyway. The casual player who just wants to get somewhere will be more frustrated though as their goals keep being pushed further back.

My argument stands.

#25 Xarlia

Xarlia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:16 AM

Questing was sooo 1999.