Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Exciting Changes to Runs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#26 Vintara

Vintara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6715 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:03 PM

Bonus implies something more than the base level, not an absence of degradation.

#27 Kabaal

Kabaal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2054 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 10:42 PM

Im gonna have to agree with scrooge on this one.

My boss gave me a bonus this year. i didnt actually get more money, but everyone else got less, it was sweet.

#28 Throm

Throm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:52 AM

(From Vassago):
They already should get a bonus off NPCs that don't get a lot of "mindless slaughter" traffic - the fact that their difficulty isn't augmented, for one.

That's a bit backasswards, if you ask me. The difficulty being augmented is actually a penalty. And not receiving a penalty isn't inherently a bonus.

#29 Throm

Throm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:57 AM

Oh, sorry - I forgot to mention that I really liked Sotano's idea. It would help diversify the game a little more by thinning out leveling "hot spots" like the Catacombs, Lakes, Vospire, etc. Some people will be attracted to the higher rewards of less desirable leveling spots, while others will be too lazy to care and remain in the current hot spots but enjoy less rewards.

#30 Sotano

Sotano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:29 PM

My proposal would require modification of rewards and some level of pandering to the players.

However, players would not get "something for nothing". There are quite a few areas that levelers never go for EXP because of the risks and time involved. These areas typically involve PK risk, tough mobiles, and can be a pain just in travel time.

This would encourage taking risks, and the payout would make it worthwhile to do so.

Sotano

#31 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:24 PM

If the base level is to be penalized then to not be penalized is a bonus.

#32 Minotorious

Minotorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5271 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:17 PM

(From Scrooge):
If the base level is to be penalized then to not be penalized is a bonus.

except, the base level is not penalized

#33 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:55 PM

Except that, dear friend, is a matter of perspective.

#34 Throm

Throm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:50 AM

(From Scrooge):
Except that, dear friend, is a matter of perspective.

If your boss told you for the past 6 months that you were getting a bonus at the end of the year, and come the end of the year your salary remained unchanged, but your coworkers' salaries were decreased, I guarantee you wouldn't consider it a bonus and would be quite upset.

#35 Bloodsong

Bloodsong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:49 PM

Sotano's idea has merit.

#36 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:47 PM

If you opened a plastic bag and took out an orange wiggly stick, you'd call it a cheeto.

#37 Veerat

Veerat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:06 PM

Hello everyone,

With the last reboot, we have implemented some new and exciting changes targetted at improving "runs".

The main improvements involve more equipment drops being shown only when the NPC is defeated, not before. This makes deters people from leaving the mob bare after executing a successful run, or simply aborting for the same reason, at least not intentionally. Additionally, if it turns out that a particular drop is very unlucky, the drop will be supplemented with various liquid rewards. Lastly, this reward is based on certain sliding scales aimed at automatically balancing run popularity. If a run is neglected, its "base reward" will automatically increase. The reverse applies for runs that are done too much.

Oh is that so? :think: we just did Vyst the other night and all he dropped was a Lightbringer, his heart and some gold. So I suppose that we were the "victims" of the sliding scale? Basically, if you're going to make it so people get less from doing a recently-completed run you're hoping they don't do it for awhile?

:snooty: All I know is that if I run the risk of losing my gear (and the whole form along with me) via mobs or players, we should get more than a so-so halberd. :|

:clap: I like the goals here but sheesh, what's the point of even doing a run if you can get arguably better gear (in this case) and the same gold with a few hunters and no CPK?

#38 Sabu

Sabu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8615 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:19 PM

If you don't want your halberd, feel free to send it to me.

#39 Kabaal

Kabaal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2054 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:43 PM

You got a halberd from him? count yourself lucky.

#40 Primus

Primus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1846 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:21 AM

Only thing missing on Queens when I was there was a Ressurect scroll. We got a good life breastplate and a death mask, I was happy.

#41 Phronesis

Phronesis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:02 PM

I had never heard of liquid rewards, nor imagined I'd see it occur so much in one place, before I read this thread.

Bizarre.

#42 Karynn

Karynn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1356 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:14 AM

(From Veerat):
Oh is that so? :think: we just did Vyst the other night and all he dropped was a Lightbringer, his heart and some gold. So I suppose that we were the "victims" of the sliding scale? Basically, if you're going to make it so people get less from doing a recently-completed run you're hoping they don't do it for awhile?

Victims? Sounds like you got an average (normal by pre-change standards) drop.

(From Veerat)::snooty: All I know is that if I run the risk of losing my gear (and the whole form along with me) via mobs or players, we should get more than a so-so halberd. :|

WHY? If you get cpk'd trying to do vyst, you probably deserve to lose your gear. CPK gear (there's a reason you wear crappy, easily replacable gear in risky cpk; this is it). Furthermore I fail to see the logic behind deserving a better drop simply because YOU consider it 'risky'.

(From Veerat): :clap: I like the goals here but sheesh, what's the point of even doing a run if you can get arguably better gear (in this case) and the same gold with a few hunters and no CPK?

I don't get it.. You do one of the fastest, easiest and most popular runs and you complain because you didn't get a good drop. What do you think you should get? FULL DROP?

Vyst doesn't get run for the gold, well ok you might if you're *special*, but most people do it for the other equipment that drops RARELY (as it should) but cannot be gotten from hunters.

#43 Thornak

Thornak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2203 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:36 PM

well said karynn

#44 Yodor

Yodor

Advanced Member

• Members