Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

- - - - -

Updates for Homes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nymyria_*

Guest_nymyria_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:16 PM

You may have seen the latest news announcement on our website advertising the introduction of Estate Names for homes. However, in the event that you direct your attention straight to the message boards or may have missed it, I'm pleased to take a moment to announce that here, as well.

As part of ongoing renovations to realty areas around Alyria, the real estate management has decreed that all homes consisting of four rooms or greater are now considered to be an estate. Along with the title comes the ability to name your estate. This 'estate name' will be the official title displayed to you upon recall, or visitors to your home when they cross the threshold of your front door. Homes with fewer than four rooms will still display their owner's name.

Estate Names are governed by strict rules of realty etiquette and must contain some sort of dwelling name (house, estate, manor, hut, yurt, yards, hall, etc.). Some examples are "House of Vandyne," "Gath's Manor," or "Seaside Villa." Estate names cannot contain color codes or ASCII art and cannot be longer than 50 characters. These special names are available at no additional charge for the first naming, but subsequent renaming are subject to a 350,000 gp renaming fee in addition to the home modification fee.

In addition to Estate Names, the availability of other enhancements and modifications have been added to the homes help file, including (but not limited to) the following:

:house: Room exit descriptions: You may have been adventuring throughout Alyria and passed through rooms where you've been given a bit of extra detail. These extra room exit descriptions are available for homes, and the help file gives a list of what's available for you to be able to add these to your house.

:house: Block descriptions: I've often heard in the past people say "You know how when you run into some of the walls in Templeton, it tells you why you can't go that way? I want that!" Well, that's what block descriptions are. You can now add these to your home as well to add more detail about the rooms within it.

:house: New Class I room attribute: No-regen has been added to the list of Class I room attributes available for your homes.

:house: New Class II room attributes: Fiery and Swamp have both been added to the list of Class II's available.

:house: New Door Attribute: see-through. We've added the ability to see through doors in your home while the door is still closed.

:house: Cost adjustments: The prices for various items available within your home have been lowered slightly. This isn't across the board for everything, but some of the things available to you are affected.

As always, send your home requests to gameservices@ingenii.com. You can also direct any questions that you have to that address. Finally, I'll try and address anything posted here as efficiently as possible, as well.

#2 Vintara

Vintara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6715 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:44 PM

Pleeeeeeeease, remove the message showing owner names for small homes. :?

#3 Blitzen

Blitzen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:46 PM

wow, lol I think I would only have the patience to spruce up the exits to 3 or 4 rooms.!

#4 Guest_nymyria_*

Guest_nymyria_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:17 PM

Vintara: The home names aren't going away. If you wish to prevent people from seeing that you own a particular house, either make it so that people can't enter it, or build it up to estate size so that you can change the name. However, we have no intentions to remove it.

Blitzen: You aren't obligated to use all of those options for every exit in your home; they're available if you want to add on gradually, though (a few exits at a time, or so). Just keep in mind that each time you want to change or add to something, the home modification fee (now 200,000 gp) will be charged, too. So if you think that you might want to do them all someday, you might be better off waiting to get more bang for your buck.

#5 Katran

Katran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1495 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:25 PM

Are we allowed to set "none"?

:(

#6 Guest_nymyria_*

Guest_nymyria_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:44 PM

"None" wouldn't be an option as it violates the rules governing Estate Names that dictate that there must be some kind of dwelling name contained in the title.

#7 Blackx

Blackx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:53 PM

You walk into your house in real life and have a bright gold letters alerting you that you just walked into your house and you see how you like it.

#8 Guest_nymyria_*

Guest_nymyria_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:06 PM

One important thing I forgot to mention in my original announcement:

Estate names won't be implemented until we reboot next, so you have some time to ponder what you'd like it to be, if you so choose. You're welcome to request it now, if you like, however, and we'll add the titles after we reboot.

#9 Sabu

Sabu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8615 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:54 PM

(From Blackx):
You walk into your house in real life and have a bright gold letters alerting you that you just walked into your house and you see how you like it.

Is this where I make the token argument about riding a horse while eating herbs, with a two-handed axe in your hands, drinking potions and (at least) four trunks in tow?

#10 Nostri

Nostri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:57 PM

Room exit descriptions are potentially the best addition to homes since the save-items chest. Awesome addition thank you.

#11 Goatleaf

Goatleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1469 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:52 PM

I don't care if other people see it, but is there any reason under the sun why I have to see it? I'm the one who typed recall in the first place...

#12 Vintara

Vintara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6715 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:54 PM

I already have a door that you can't get through without a key. That's not the point. It's horrible, and it ruins the ambiance of the place.

#13 Katran

Katran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1495 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:05 PM

I'm not convinced that this will be a good thing. Why can't it be optional?

:(

#14 Bloodsong

Bloodsong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:24 PM

Insert generic agreement about being able to toggle the 'You are now in Bloodsong's Tellerium home' on/off here.
How do you politely and respectfully ask for a reason why this isn't possible?

#15 Solus

Solus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7574 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:33 PM

Those additions sound interesting. :mrgreen:

Dwelling names will appear as 'Solus's Gath's Manor', right?
They won't appear simply as 'Gath's Manor', right?

If possible, could an example of how it will look be provided if its not too much trouble? :)

#16 Guest_nymyria_*

Guest_nymyria_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:18 PM

It would appear as "Gath Manor" or whatever you choose the name of your estate to be.

For example, let's say that I own a 10-room home at 20 Carlson Lane in New Rigel Gardens. I choose to name it The Tree House, what you'd see upon entering would be the following:
You have entered 20 Carlson Lane, "The Tree House".
instead of:
You have entered 20 Carlson Lane, "Nymyria's New Rigel Gardens Home".

#17 Vintara

Vintara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6715 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:06 AM

It's not fair.

#18 Guest_zarath_*

Guest_zarath_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:38 AM

Er, haven't these things always been available, just not in the help file? I know I've had them in my houses/clan hall for over 4 years now. If you didn't add door open/close descriptions too, you might like to add them. :)

#19 Xarlia

Xarlia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:11 AM

These additions rock, thanks!

#20 Bortaz

Bortaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:47 AM

Sure, make additions to homes available after I finally gave up asking for them, and quit playing a char with a house worth zarking with.

Bah.

#21 Guest_nymyria_*

Guest_nymyria_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:23 AM

Yes, these have been available, but only people who knew that they might be a possibility ever asked for them in the past. We're aiming at being more inclusive by letting everyone know that they can do this. Open/close, lock/unlock, and enter/exit are all available at this time (and detailed in the help file).

There's been a vast amount of cheering for the publication of these things, so I take that as a good sign.

#22 Kabaal

Kabaal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2054 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:41 AM

There's been a vast amount of cheering for the publication of these things, so I take that as a good sign.

Then why on earth wont the staff take the VAST amount of booing from the recall echo change as a bad sign?

I think vassago said it best, when large groups of people are either for or against something, it doesnt actually reflect upon the merit of the issue, all it proves is that people will complain about everything, or cheer about anything.

If anyone actually gets to read this before it gets "moderated", it would be nice, makes a nice change from all the other posts i make.

:sick:

#23 Vintara

Vintara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6715 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:52 AM

(From Nymyria):

That's the thing - they're great changes... for those that want them. I couldn't (and still can't) afford more than a one-room house so I designed the description accordingly. It's theme is a place still under construction, and as such it's supposed to be anonymous. If and when the time comes for me to update it, I'll be completely rewriting the description and I may well want people to know they're entering Vinty Towers or whatever. Until that time, I don't want my name appearing on entering.

You tell me to upgrade the place if I want to alter the echo, but it's because I can't upgrade it that I don't want the echo.

Please consider either allowing us to turn it off completely, or let us set the title no-matter how small our homes are.

#24 Cazzira

Cazzira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for the change :D :goblet:

#25 Bloodsong

Bloodsong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:13 PM

(From Vintara):

(From Nymyria):

That's the thing - they're great changes... for those that want them. I couldn't (and still can't) afford more than a one-room house so I designed the description accordingly. It's theme is a place still under construction, and as such it's supposed to be anonymous. If and when the time comes for me to update it, I'll be completely rewriting the description and I may well want people to know they're entering Vinty Towers or whatever. Until that time, I don't want my name appearing on entering.

You tell me to upgrade the place if I want to alter the echo, but it's because I can't upgrade it that I don't want the echo.

Please consider either allowing us to turn it off completely, or let us set the title no-matter how small our homes are.

Again agreed. It doesn't seem like it should be that big of a deal if a player doesn't want it broadcast every time someone enters the house.
I DO like the option of being able to see whose house you're in if they want you to see it, and I DO like the notion of being able to name your house something if it's a certain size. Those I will cheer aplenty for. I merely dislike not being given the option, as I personally don't want my house to broadcast it every time I recall.