Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

- - - - -

Updates for Homes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#26 Goatleaf

Goatleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1469 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:39 PM

I'll also say again that making the owner of a house see that he owns it and is currently in it is both nonsensical and annoying.

#27 Guest_zarath_*

Guest_zarath_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:22 PM

I agree it was a great change to add it to the help files. :) More diversity in what people can have in their homes is great.

Now if some of my suggested changes for clan halls could be added too...

And I completely disagree with Vass' sentiment that people will complain about anything. People -don't- complain about anything, usually they aren't vocal about good changes unless an imm posts about it, but no way do people complain about every change.

#28 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:54 AM

I'm not entirely sure all of Alyria is 100% against this whole echo thing.

#29 Vintara

Vintara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6715 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:01 AM

I'm not sure anyone is 100% against it.

#30 Alondra

Alondra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2180 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:36 AM

I don't care as much about the echos anymore, they just took some getting used to, like the armory.

#31 Mikee

Mikee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:18 AM

I realize this could pass as an annoying argument, but it's valid and solves the problem: if you don't like that it's echoing to you, gag it.

#32 Vintara

Vintara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6715 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:42 AM

If everyone in the game that I invite to my house agrees to gag it, then that would solve the problem.

#33 Sabu

Sabu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8615 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:56 AM

Dear God - it's not going away.

Just let it go!

#34 Kabaal

Kabaal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2054 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:34 AM

Never.

#35 Vintara

Vintara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6715 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:08 AM

I probably will back down eventually, for the same reason that I'm not still complaining about the alteration of the "wiggle me" emote even though it still bothers me. Don't you find it a little sad though that admin are so protective of their changes that they refuse to even entertain the thought of compromise?

#36 Iluvatar

Iluvatar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1679 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:53 PM

I just find it bothersome that either party cares so much about it either way.

Its 1 line of text, that does not affect or physically harm you.

I think its safe to say, we get it.

#37 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:15 PM

We got a compromise.

#38 Vintara

Vintara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6715 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:31 PM

I understand that most people don't give a crap about this, but it's important to me for a couple of reasons.

The first is that although Alyria isn't the same as the real world, it does have it's own particular flavour of reality. Whilst the original change was obviously in preparation of the other (extremely good) additions, in itself it completely jars with the way I see the world, and the way I wanted my house to appear.

I don't know whether you think that it's so trivial that no-one could possibly care, or whether it's because you think that I personally wouldn't care so I must be arguing for the sake of it. Maybe it's because I haven't spent my hard-earned cash on extra rooms for my house so I can't be that interested. I don't know, but I do know that you could make everyone happy with such a little gesture. The only explanation you offered for the original change was nonsensical, and when I asked again with the later changes I was told that if I wanted to do something about it, I'd have to spend a large amount of money (and it still wouldn't look the way I intended it to).

Seriously; I'm not suggesting that this is a money-grabbing exercise because I know that so few people see it as an issue, but to add something that people might not want to have, and then make the only way of changing it to be by paying a load of cash seems very ill-advised.

#39 Basstian

Basstian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:48 AM

Its late so forgive this if its a stupid idea.

I agree with the fact it just doesnt look right when people walk
in my house. I worked hard on the design and a big yellow blasted.
You have entered the Home of Basstian. would have never been part of my decor.

I would be more than willing for people to type
(home info) and see.
This home Belongs to Basstian
Has x x x x x x room attributes
and appraises in game for X gold
It was construted dd/mm/yy

This would serve multipule purposes.
Would give home owner and future home builders an idea of the Gold value of this home.
Would give explorers the information you obviously want them to have access to on homes they can enter.
Would save a bit of history keeping the date for all to see of how old the home is.

I know of at least 3 homes I have designed for people where "easter egg" type hints and flags were purchased and described so that they would have to really read and search out to find the owner. Was part of the design and thought concept of the home. This big yellow spam nullifies that.

It is something we can live with it doesnt hurt its not going to change the way we have to play the game.
But these are house's we have invested our time our RU and our thoughts into with the belief the home would be "Ours" we are not allowed to use color bright yellow etc etc and follow those rules during design.

For everbody that wants to whine at least give an idea that will meet somewhere in the middle.

With respect,
Basstian

#40 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:20 AM

I did. It got implemented.

#41 Vintara

Vintara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6715 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:38 AM

I don't have a problem with the address showing up, just the character name. I think it could make RP sense if there were a "register of home owners" that could be referenced (in practice similar to what Basstian suggested), but just having the name pop up out of nowhere just isn't right.