Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

invasions and home towns

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Perem

Perem

There be pirates

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2311 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:59 AM

How many invasions do you have to fail to lose a hometown? I thought it was 1 but alliance 6 still have Sigil.

#2 Tritochest

Tritochest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:13 AM

If an invasion is successful, the defending alliance falls from favor, losing [500+(200 for every 10 invaders remaining)] FP. If at any time an alliance has 0 or fewer FP, that alliance is kicked out of the town, is no longer defending it, is deprived of rewards, and may not get another hometown for 30 Alyrian days.

Har, until you run out of favor points. And given that they've hoarded over 25k favor points, they could sit on Sigil indefinitely without any further effort.

#3 Minotorious

Minotorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5271 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:18 AM

(From Tritochest):

If an invasion is successful, the defending alliance falls from favor, losing [500+(200 for every 10 invaders remaining)] FP. If at any time an alliance has 0 or fewer FP, that alliance is kicked out of the town, is no longer defending it, is deprived of rewards, and may not get another hometown for 30 Alyrian days.

Har, until you run out of favor points. And given that they've hoarded over 25k favor points, they could sit on Sigil indefinitely without any further effort.

but don't you remember how the rewards were justified by the fact that after you've held a hometown for very long it would become incredibly hard to defend and maintain those rewards?

#4 Klaus

Klaus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:29 PM

Itd be nice if you could turn in hometown notes again, so my nefarious plot of destroying towns could be underway.

...and I suppose so that these 2 or 3 new alliances that sprung up could have a chance.

Either way, failed features ftw.

#5 Ledatic

Ledatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:41 PM

Dragonburner doesn't know what he's talking about. The more favor points the alliance has, the more difficult the invasions are. We don't have a problem defending against invasions, it's just over the past 3 or 4 invasions we've not shown up 100%. So I seriously doubt any other alliance in the game will take sigil for a while, if at all.

So plz stop h8n :snooty:

#6 Zayla

Zayla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:46 PM

(From Dragonburner):

but don't you remember how the rewards were justified by the fact that after you've held a hometown for very long it would become incredibly hard to defend and maintain those rewards?

I believe this has recently been fixed (being harder) which is why Alliance 6 has lost the last 2 invasions.

However, based on my calculations... it may take a year of us loosing the invasion to loose the town. It took them a year to gain all those points, so I don't find that unfair.

An invasion is a lot of work (believe it or not) and it's more than hacking and slashing. It's knowing how to best fight the mobs. Northstar has page after page of collected information about the mobs, how to defeat them, what has worked, what hasn't. This is a LOT of work and dedication. I think *that* justifies the rewards given.

-Zayla

#7 Minotorious

Minotorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5271 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:45 PM

(From Zayla):

(From Dragonburner):

I believe this has recently been fixed (being harder) which is why Alliance 6 has lost the last 2 invasions.

However, based on my calculations... it may take a year of us loosing the invasion to loose the town. It took them a year to gain all those points, so I don't find that unfair.

An invasion is a lot of work (believe it or not) and it's more than hacking and slashing. It's knowing how to best fight the mobs. Northstar has page after page of collected information about the mobs, how to defeat them, what has worked, what hasn't. This is a LOT of work and dedication. I think *that* justifies the rewards given.

-Zayla

In the invasions i took part in, it took about 10 minutes to figure out how to fight every mob...they were easy, repetitive and boring hack and slash events that reminded me far too much of levelling.

Im pretty sure the same sentiment was found to be true by sanguine when they got bored and stopped doing them.

#8 Jhaero

Jhaero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:59 AM

(From Zayla):

If you're just looking at that one alliance, sure.

However, defendable towns are a very limited resource, and an alliance sitting on a town for a year and not defending it is not fair to those who would -- once all the towns are claimed, anyway.

#9 Jhaero

Jhaero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:05 AM

Note that I am not talking about the Navigators of Dawn specifically; I don't know your invasion status any which way.

I'm just keying off of the fact that it would take you a year of losses to get kicked out, and the fact that there are considerably less towns available than alliances.

Assuming your calculations are correct, that combination has design deficiencies, IMO. Some combination of more towns and faster favor point decay is called for.

#10 Ledatic

Ledatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:53 PM

it took us about a year to get where we are as far as favor points...now like zayla said taking a year to lose the town is just right. we're not gonna work our asses off for a year and lose it after one flaw, even for this game thats stupid. and ultimately once you have a town to defend you can somewhat control the occurance of invasions with the flag level. so if we decide to keep the flag at 100% and get invasions about every week, OR we can keep it at 25% and get one about every month...thats our personal choice and if you guys dont like it then grab another town to defend.

and dragonburner, the mobs are easy to figure out how to kill and can be boring and repetitive but despite what you think, its a lot harder to do when racing a clock.

#11 Shinde

Shinde

Class Terraformer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:20 PM

Zalya's estimate seems to be assuming some attempt to defend and less than 100% flag level. Far more FP could be lost per invasion (over 4k based on a rough estimate). At 100% flag NoD could only sit on the town for ~1 month without attempting to defend.

#12 Duende

Duende

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1618 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:42 PM

On one hand, I sort of agree with the rate at which FP are lost, but on the other, I'm not exactly inclined to be taking advice from others on a subject that nobody else can manage for two weeks, much less a year. I might look at this again when more than one town is held for more than a month, but at this point, this isn't exactly relevant or pressing.

#13 Minotorious

Minotorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5271 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:15 PM

(From Duende):
On one hand, I sort of agree with the rate at which FP are lost, but on the other, I'm not exactly inclined to be taking advice from others on a subject that nobody else can manage for two weeks, much less a year. I might look at this again when more than one town is held for more than a month, but at this point, this isn't exactly relevant or pressing.

maybe if the other towns werent either 4x as big or had blink only/race restricted access sub-areas, thus being DRASTICALLY more of a hassle to defend than sigil(which is moreso an issue of sigil being ridiculously easy to defend than the others being too hard)

#14 Jorne

Jorne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:15 AM

(From Dragonburner):

(From Duende):

maybe if the other towns werent either 4x as big or had blink only/race restricted access sub-areas, thus being DRASTICALLY more of a hassle to defend than sigil(which is moreso an issue of sigil being ridiculously easy to defend than the others being too hard)

yeah really...