Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Object Weight

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
132 replies to this topic

#1 Duende

Duende

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1612 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:18 AM

The Council of Seven has discovered a bizarre side effect of the Bag of Infinite Depth "incident", recently manifested, which caused many items made of inferior materials to react with gravitational parallax; in effect, becoming heavier. This is unfortunate, because many of the realm choose to outfit themselves in bizarre costumes of poor quality, meaning that it will impact many people. On the positive side, many blacksmiths and armorers will now have increased patronage for high-quality items made of materials that have not been affected by this so-called "weightening". The following [i/]non-exhaustive[/i] list details which items have been affected:

a bloodstained white robe
a breastplate of life
a circular mirror shield
a dragon jaw helmet
a holy symbol of Dira
a holy symbol of Gath
a holy symbol of Ithrilis
a holy symbol of Maradas
a holy symbol of Vandyne
a large war shield
a pair of yeti hide leggings
a ring of wizardry
a robe of control
a set of admantite legplates
a set of overlord armor
a set of splinted cuisses
a thick mithril shield
a tooth bracelet
an admantite breastplate
an oak wand
flowing red robes
mithril armplates
seven faces of death
Syrazic's tail coil
the armbands of life
the belt of pain
the boots of the fish
the boots of valor
the gloves of alchemy
the legendary knife of Kinchu
the leggings of an elder dragon
the punishing scimitar of clarity
the ring of the dead
the ring of the serpent
the royal robe of Lord Alymar
the shield of war
the skull of the guardian

#2 Lewd

Lewd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:22 AM

That's pretty cool. Thanks for drastically limiting what I can carry, because of the specific gear I choose to wear (all the time) due to availability. I'm sure elves and other low-strength races are pleased as punch, too.

Good idea, I applaud your ability to think things through. :think:

#3 Lewd

Lewd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:41 AM

You know what, forget it. I'm too irritated about things going on in my life to argue this crap anymore. Enjoy screwing the game off a cliff, guys. I'll miss it. <3

#4 Jheron

Jheron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4315 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:48 AM

Weird.

#5 Sacho

Sacho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:16 AM

[code=auto:0]
You are using:
the crystal of power (heavily worn) (lit)
a dragon bone ring (new)
a ring of wizardry (used)
a gold wedding band (new)
(Invisible) a dragon tear necklace (new)
the amulet of champions (new)
an amulet of spell delivery (new)
an admantite breastplate (used)
a headband of Tame (damaged)
a set of admantite legplates (slightly worn)
the boots of valor (heavily worn)
the gloves of alchemy (worn)
mithril armplates (used)
a battered iron shield (new)
flowing red robes (new)
a spectral aura
the belt of pain (heavily damaged)
a tooth bracelet (new)
a fetish of a fey
a boomerang of the sun (heavily damaged)
a well-crafted violin (new)

Current Armor Resistance (AR):
(Head ) Pierce: 75 Bash: 75 Slash: 75 Exotic: 75
(Torso ) Pierce: 75 Bash: 75 Slash: 75 Exotic: 75
(Arms ) Pierce: 75 Bash: 75 Slash: 75 Exotic: 75
(Legs ) Pierce: 75 Bash: 75 Slash: 75 Exotic: 75

Equipped weapon damage:
With your knowledge of 'boomerang', a boomerang of the sun can cause up to 207 points of damage against 0 ar.
Excepting defenses and dynamic modifiers, you will hit 74% of the time.
You are carrying:
( 6) a bag embroidered with a sunburst insignia (new)
a twisted holly wood wand (new)
a dwarven shovel (new)
a spellbook bound in blue leather (new)
a small bag (new)
the spellbook of the wizard of Focault (new)
a bracer of destruction (new)
an arcane spellbook (new)
a heavy, leatherbound bookcover (new)
a gnomish miner's bag (new)
( 3) Vandemaar's Trunk (new)
a mahogany puzzle box (new)
A total of 19 items weighing 16 stones, 72 pebbles (56pb gold weight)
You may carry a maximum of 56 items weighing up to 21 st, 0 pb.
[code=auto:0]

DRACON
Hit Points: 2250 Spell Power: 1800 Stamina: 2000
Strength: 20 Knowledge: 18 Wisdom: 18
Agility: 19 Vitality: 20 Luck: 17
Courage: 18 Sanity: 17 Personality: 16

#6 Rhosyn

Rhosyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:25 AM

After a "discussion" about this on pktalk(a) I can almost understand the reasoning behind this change - make cpk gear unattractive to Archons so they will do the runs for the big, op gear. Fine. Penalize Archons that either cant afford the better eq, or can't get a group together to do the bigger runs. That does, in a roundabout kind of way, encourage people to get out and hook up with other players and actually do stuff. Ok. I get that.

But, my poor wee 120 can't exactly wear that kind of gear, yet now has to choose between a bag of reagents or her vandy symbol to avoid encumbrance.. how does that help anything? Duende's suggestion was to "explore". Umm yeah, ok. Whatever. Thanks for the tip. Maybe I can sac the vandy symbol and carry 1 stone worth of blue orbs instead? Woot? Trade my dira for a silk scarf? I thought I was supposed to be getting better gear, not staying dressed up in level 60 crap.

Oh wait, I know. I'll just get an extra trunk! which means I need to camp 120 for another few months to get the qp (or donate for it). Vass suggested I use lockers. Well uhh.. considering all I have in my inventory is reagents, cb pots and flash bombs, lockering those would be pretty stupid. Class camping (or donating) it is! And yes, before you ask, I do have a belt pouch, which I've just emptied to make room for.. reagents.... fun.

Quest item reag bags are not weight reducing. Every time players have asked for weight reducing eth/gem bags, we were told NO NO and NO. Now the need for them is increased, will we still be told no?

Who exactly are you trying to penalize with this change? I think it was poorly thought out in regard to the impact on lower level characters and those Archons and heros that prefer to wear easier to obtain items / cheaper items. (I'm usually in PG, I don't wear seashell gear or expensive items there.. that's a complete waste). I'm currently wearing a LOT of items on that list. I'm worried if I sign in, half my inventory will fall to the floor because I can't carry it now, joy.

Maybe we could get a new donation item that repels weight by 50%? lol.

This change is counterintuitive to the goal, imo.

#7 Lugh

Lugh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:28 AM

Way to go, MM admin, that screws me for carrying anything else heavy, like maybe a maleficarum root.

I have a vandy symbol, boots of the fish, ring of the dead etc etc for sale. Purchaser to please bring trunk in order to be able to carry them.

Thank you.

#8 Nyr

Nyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:30 AM

Are items supposed to vary in weight by (in this case) it would appear over 2 stones?

It seems a bit pointless if that is the case.

Item 'a breastplate of life' is type armor, alignment 961, made of electrum,
has keywords 'breastplate life', equipped on the body.
This item weighs 2 stones and 80 pebbles, and is valued at 22,500 gp.

[ARCHON] Forgotten: This item weighs 0 stones and 69 pebbles, and is valued at 22,500 gp from my bp

#9 Lugh

Lugh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:44 AM

Maybe we should all get free remort vouchers and all restart as ogres?

#10 Illyria

Illyria

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:54 AM

While I agree that this shouldn't affect lower-levels as much, I think you're all overreacting just a bit. :P

This is going to be one of those whiney bitchfests that seem so important right now but that no one will care about next month (Except possibly for Kabaal, who tends to care about this kind of stuff way too much <3).

#11 Jheron

Jheron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4315 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:51 AM

Perhaps with the constant additions of new items being put into game, it is now time to stop relying on the same ol' stuff you've been using for years. Or perhaps this is an attempt to try and add a little diversity to your wardrobe.

Keep in mind, I have yet to experience this scenario in-game, so I'm just going off the information giving on this thread.

Shrug. I am still sticking with my first post though.

#12 Cantilenae

Cantilenae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:52 AM

Too many of these items (esp. symbols, ring of wizardry) do not have appropriate low-level equivalents. Level-restrict them if that is the concern, but this random, reasonless change puts way too much burden on the lower classes as is.

#13 Valiance

Valiance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:25 AM

Climbing the mountain of experience I still need to hero was tough enough without being completely crippled by gear. I'm not on long enough to do your crappy runs, and I'm not going to go charging bear-breasted into the wild unknown, and get decimated in CPK trying to replace items that were, as far as anyone was concerned, perfectly acceptable.

Does someone want to spell out the logic behind this for me? If there was a decent reason then fine. I'll deal with it. But trying to fix a problem with Archons and CPK gear that involves changing a blanket-spread of generic 4th class equipment seem like a pretty backwards solution to me.

#14 Jheron

Jheron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4315 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:01 AM

From what I perceive, most don't enjoy the surprise factor, and therefore react accordingly.

#15 Sacho

Sacho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:50 AM

The whole idea is to make you use new gear. It's not impossible to get. A 120 doesn't *need* permanent sanctuary. Nor do you *need* flash bombs and cure blindness potions. Why is having to make a choice so bad instead of taking everything for granted?

Weight has been a non-issue to..pretty much everyone with a trunk. I wear my cpk gear and still have 6 stones to work with, this is with 8 reagent bags and 3 trunks. Where's the problem exactly? Suddenly you have to adjust a tiny bit and the world is ending?

Also love the rage at "having to do runs".

#16 Jheron

Jheron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4315 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:58 AM

that small list is probably <.1% of the available items that can be worn.

#17 Cantilenae

Cantilenae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:45 AM

(From Jheron):Keep in mind, I have yet to experience this scenario in-game, so I'm just going off the information giving on this thread.

Which begs the question why half the posts in the thread are from you, Jheron. :roll:

Actually, there are not good alternatives for this gear at 120, though there are excellent choices at 240. So why again is mangling second class gear a reasonable solution to an archon problem?

Why not just level restrict these items? :twisted:

#18 Lewd

Lewd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:51 AM

Yeah, um. I'm not even sure why I care(d). I really don't. I think you just got some left over F*CK YOU IT ISN'T FAIR from something else. sorry. :/

#19 Jheron

Jheron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4315 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:38 AM

(From Cantilenae):

(From Jheron):Keep in mind, I have yet to experience this scenario in-game, so I'm just going off the information giving on this thread.

Which begs the question why half the posts in the thread are from you, Jheron. :roll:

Heh, just noticed my typo. :)

And your point is? I read the topic, I look at the presentation, I read the follow-ups and I comment. It's pretty simple. At the moment, I don't have the time to spend on the game as I used to, so I try and keep in touch via my clanmembers and this message board. If you would like me to see your opinion or the situation more, elaborate. I can't read minds. All I've seen is a lot of kvetching. Even with my minimal information, I don't see how any of my comments are invalid. I think I've paid my dues in this game to leave my opinion. Shrug.

Yada. Yada.

#20 Perem

Perem

There be pirates

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2311 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:51 AM

(From Sacho):
A 120 doesn't *need* permanent sanctuary.

Sanctuary is the most important spell in the game. 120s do runs, kill stuff (oh look, sanc is needed to reduce the damage they take), a 120 needs sanc as much as anyone else does

(From Sacho):
Weight has been a non-issue to..pretty much everyone with a trunk.

Not everyone has a trunk, pouches are limited.

#21 Santino

Santino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:00 AM

dumbest change ever, most gear on that list is considerd cpk gear for archons, because it's so easy available, i'm wearing over 15 stones already with only 4 trunks in my inventory, this is a really awesome way to encourage people to go elf/halfling.
*claps*

#22 Raemae

Raemae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:22 AM

I have to agree with Santino. Personally I only have two trunks right now but even without anything but my gear, two trunks, one vandy bag, and a key ring I am at close to 13 stones when the max weight for my race to carry is only 17 stones. Thankfully I do have the trunks but I know there are many who do not. For a halfling with no trunk the new weights are crippling...there is no point in them going to PG for roots since the could not carry enough out to be worth the trip. Not all have the QP to get a trunk and even if they do have the QP it can take months to successfully get a trunk. I know some do go on other runs who are not archons as well. I go on them sometimes myself but the fact is almost any run involves at least some CPK and with the new weights weaker races are handicapped if they are wearing CPK gear yet other gear is costly, hard to come by or both. Not all have the money to buy the expensive gear...so what are they supposed to do?
A. Do not go on runs
B. Spend every cent they have on gear
C. Quit the game
D. wear the CPK gear they have and never carry anything else

Not much of a choice there in my opinion. Making the gear you wear in CPK heavier is not going to get people to go on runs that involve CPK and since most runs involve CPK the whole purpose of making the gear heavier is self-defeating

#23 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:14 AM

I'm okay with this change at face value. I support efforts to make everyone's equipment less generic. However there are currently a lack of viable alternatives at my level. I've looked at most of the equipment available to me and almost all of it these days has a retarded expiration date. I don't play the game often enough to be replacing all my equipment every 12th time I log on. A lot of other equipment I would otherwise find interesting excludes my class path or is enforced to archons. In fact, I have yet to see a piece of equipment that has restrictions that favor my class path.

#24 Brimstone

Brimstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:52 AM

A total of 22 items weighing 18 stones, 80 pebbles (0pb gold weight)

thats from 3 trunks and a few bags. with 25 strength i can afford this change, but most smaller races can't. this change will not change a few players way of gaming, but a large percentage of this playerbase will be screwed over dramatically.

most of the playerbase must therefore calculate what items they will need, what gear they'll need for levelling/runs/pk (optional). it seems to me that these players may well leave the game for a better gaming experience than tolerate this lame change/changes that are occuring to the game.

#25 Rigan

Rigan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:09 PM

I thought about this a lot last night and I'm still pissed about it. Even emptying my inventory to ONLY have reagents, 4 flash bombs, 6 cb pots (and yes Sacho, I do need them :P) and a BoT, I'm about 50 pebbles away from being encumbered. What does this mean when I get a quest for that stupid stone spear thingy from PC or other heavy items? Hmm! That should be challenging fun!! (NOT!)

But I need to quest to get enough QP to get a trunk, so I guess I don't REALLY need haste, bless, shield, sanc (whichever symbols I'm wearing at the moment, I rotate them depending on what affects I need for the task at hand.) And hey, the chiropractor bills for wearing 2 stones weight around my neck - that'll really add up fast! (yes, a joke.)

And wow, I guess I won't be donating for that forge anytime soon! It weighs a stone itself and I just can't carry it. Woot. Saved $50.

STUPID STUPID STUPID CHANGE.

Do you think that its possible that you could make a change that actually makes the game more FUN? :think: :think: