Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

PK Tournament-Update

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 Ayri

Ayri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

Hi,

Ayri and I are hosting a pk tournament that we have decided will be dedicated to Spizy since he loved PK so much. It will be on the 4th of April around 5-6 game time. It's going to be knock-out rounds with a lot of prizes ( a huruk, orbs, gold). Depending on how many ppl participate , the more prizes there will be. Ayri and I will not participate.

The rules are simple :

1. No use of cabos.
2. No use of any item that has Multiply Magic casted on it.
3. You are not allowed to use herbs unless you are a monk or ranger.
4. No astral spells can be used.
5. No smoking, calming, or fleeing.
6. No use of toy soldiers, elementals, imps or golems.

I think that pretty much covers it. If you're interested in participating let me know before the 4th, as in talk to me IN game. I have also asked an Imm to host this so everything will run smoothly.

Thanks,

Santino and Ayri

Leftovers: Contact SANTINO in game..not ME....thanks bunches... Ayri

#2 Storrm

Storrm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:42 PM

Are you making a no relic bracket and a naked bracket? Bards get to have an instrument of course.

#3 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:30 PM

I've updated the news post a bit:

Attention all Alyrians!

It's time to grab your weapons, and dust off your equipment! There will
be a bracketed PK tournament on Saturday April 4th, at 5:30 p.m. system
time. This tournament is going to be held in the name a great player
and fallen friend, Spizy. So come out, have fun, bash some heads, and
try to survive to the end. There will be prizes for every class.

Rules for the tournament are:

* No use of tanzanite cabochons.
* No use of any item that has 'multiply magic' cast on it.
* No use of rare scrolls such as 'firebolt' scrolls, or "special"
(scripted or possibly scripted) items, such as pain spheres.
* You are not allowed to use herbal mixtures unless you are a monk
or ranger.
* No spells requiring astral reagents may be used.
* No smoke bombs, use of the 'calm' spell, or use of the 'flee' command.
* No use of combat-assisting NPCs, such as toy soldiers or wizards,
summoned elementals, summoned imps or shadow golems.

#4 Kabaal

Kabaal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2054 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:11 AM

A naked bracket would be awesome.

#5 Xane

Xane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:16 AM

You know the reason i play this game is to pk. I support it, promote it, and try to any chance i get. I think its complete bullpoo to nerf monks for this tournament. OH WAIT! i'll cast my monk blind and pk all of you.

Best analogy i could give is you're basically saying, hey psi, you guys arent allowed to use irritation. Each class gets its own perks, monk's perk is multiply magic. Theres limits on healing items. Which usually if you're losing, only prolongs death, but its inevitable. Obviously silence wands wouldnt be allowed.

I want to participate... But i think this is unfair, and hope you reconsider your "zark monks" rule.

Think about it.

:think:

#6 Nobadii

Nobadii

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2330 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:25 AM

It does seem rather silly that you're weakening the already disadvantaged classes by removing their powerful skills.

#7 Kabaal

Kabaal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2054 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:56 AM

Monks did just fine before MM.

#8 Hekate

Hekate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:40 AM

Wait, what? You're one of two classes allowed to use herbaliam mixtures in this tournament and you're complaining about the fairness of restricting multiply magic?

You have to be joking...

#9 Haley

Haley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:17 AM

this whole tournament has became a joke first it was for a wedding and now suddenly for Spizy sorry but it gives a bad tast

if it really is in memory of Spizy it should be a all goes battle till the death hunt

#10 Ayri

Ayri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:16 PM

This tournament was never about a wedding. It only followed a wedding. It has always been about trying to get people interested in PK again. Period.

Since Spizy loved PK, it fits it should be dedicated to him.

Please feel free to host your own tournament and make up your own rules if you feel these suck. It is impossible to make everyone happy, no matter what we do.

And as always, we are still looking for feedback and still talking to people, who actually know what they are talking about when it comes to PK.

#11 Santino

Santino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:22 PM

I will post in a few days about the brackets setup, and ayri and I are still talking about the rules. We need more positive feedback though or it will stay like it is. This tournament is about promoting the game pk-wise, and to remember those who loved pk and aren't around anymore.

I hope ppl will participate, there is no entrance fee or anything... It's about having fun...
archon brackets can have 2 different brackets for experienced pk'ers and those baby archons

#12 Ayri

Ayri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:23 PM

Leftovers:

Also why we need more feedback. I am discussing things with Santino but I don't with others unless to pass on info, ideas. For I am one who is not experienced enough in PK to know what is balanced and what isn't. So, those who do have the experience we would like to hear from you.

So, come on people, post ideas, suggestions. This is suppose to be fun!!

#13 Hekate

Hekate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:41 PM

If you want the results of your tournament to mean anything (i.e. for bragging rights or whatever), you need to remove all of the rules. Restricting skills/spells that players would otherwise be able to use in the game significantly raises the chance that the outcome of a given battle won't reflect what it normally would have been, and cheapens the tournament results.

The only rule that should be in place is that a given player should not be allowed to receive help from any other player while the battle is in progress. Beyond that, anything should be allowed. If you want to impose a time limit on battles so that they don't turn into hour-long flee-fests, that's fine, and you can resolve draws via whoever has the most HP/SP at the time limit. Battles should be held outside of the arena in a secure location, where Santino/Ayri can each form with one of the participants and monitor their stats for draw decisions. This also resolves the "he only won because he snared a black room"-type complaints.

As far as brackets go, the typical archon, 4th class, 3rd class, 2nd class, 1st class brackets make the most sense. Trying to split these up based on level, stats, and/or other similarly artificial criteria only serves to complicate the tournament and provide all brackets with less participants (read: less competition and a more boring tournament).

Hope that helps.

#14 Krim

Krim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1824 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

Rules are fine as is. Was wondering if you were going to add werewolf canines and moonstone cabos and cure serious potions from alembics to list of banned items.

#15 Storrm

Storrm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:55 PM

(From Hekate):
If you want the results of your tournament to mean anything (i.e. for bragging rights or whatever), you need to remove all of

your clothes.

Naked, baby. No gear advantage.

#16 Furyspawn

Furyspawn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:43 PM

In my opinion, the rules are _pretty_ good as they are. Changing any rule(s) because one or two people don't agree with it completely defeats the purpose of making the rules in the first place.
Further more, altering rules and making exceptions for certain class brackets is unheard of, imo. But so is making a rule for a specific class. This being said, I also would like to disagree with the no MM rule. This specifically restricts one of the monk's most useful spells, while making no other class-specific restriction for any of the other classes.

I would also like to state some common sense. Any one class has the ability to defeat any other class, at any given time, so long as the player knows how to control their character.

As for the "fleeing/healing is a solid pk tactic" arguement, while this may be true in a life/death situation, I see no way that this type of tactic proves any type of pk skill in this type of tournament. The best arguement I can provide is this(and this applies especially to first class) - Two people fight, one starts to win, the other flee/heals. While the one that fled is healing, the first one will also heal back to full, and they will be back to square one, most likely ending with the same result. This pertains mostly to first class, but carries on with most classes, a lot of the time.

Prolonging the inevitable is not PK skill, it's just annoying.
Fleeing is cowardly anyway, imo.

Fight hard, use what you have, and should it occur - die proud.

Looks like it could be a great tournament, and tons of fun.

Let's have fun and fight hard y'all, for Spizy.

#17 Hekate

Hekate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

Fleeing as a strategy is perfectly valid. Just because some players don't use it properly doesn't mean that it doesn't have its place in PvP. I can't even begin to count the number of fights that I've witnessed where someone was "losing", fled, came back, and ended up winning the fight (without anyone else helping, interfering, etc.). If you think fleeing in every case simply equates to cowardice, you should spend a few hours talking to anyone who's ever been in the military and you'll get schooled as to why that's a pretty ignorant opinion.

#18 Ayri

Ayri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

As most know, I am not a PK'er. Rules arent really up to me but me as I see things...I would have to say, i wouldn't mind seeing a tournament where ALL wear rune gear, and bring it, show you have trained right, right path. Just my opinion.

Guess good thing it isnt up to me : )

#19 Furyspawn

Furyspawn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

I'll agree that it is very much possible for somebody to flee from a fight that they are seemingly losing, and end up coming out on top. Noone is disputing that. That's all fine and dandy, in arena or maldra's keep or something. This is a tournament with _rules_ though. And the fact is, "no fleeing" is one of those rules. And the arguement "well, i've seen people flee and come back and win" isn't a valid arguement to remove the rule alltogether. If all the rules got removed just because someone had something to say about them, It'd just pretty much be a series of arena matches. Yay. That's new and exciting. I personally thought the coolest thing about this tournament was the various handicaps, no-flees, no-summons.. Gives it a little more of a challenge.

And dude. I figure fleeing for your life IRL in a military combat situation is a little different than fleeing from a fight and hiding because your character sucks. If your character cant withstand the heat, he shouldn't be in the kitchen.

#20 Hekate

Hekate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:23 PM

(From Furyspawn):
And dude. I figure fleeing for your life IRL in a military combat situation is a little different than fleeing from a fight and hiding because your character sucks. If your character cant withstand the heat, he shouldn't be in the kitchen.

In a PvP fight between two willing players, fleeing is not caused by one of said players suddenly realizing that his/her character sucks. You're mistaking PvP (basically duels) with PK (the killing of unwilling opponents). So no, it's not different at all. Strategic withdrawal/retreat is a tactic used by armies and militia since the dawn of time. It's not a sign of cowardice if you plan to come back. It's only a sign of cowardice if you're going home because you don't want to play anymore (i.e. challenge quit, calm/quit, recall, gohall, etc.).

#21 Furyspawn

Furyspawn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:50 PM

It's called a PK Tournament, not a PvP Tournament. L2read.

#22 Hekate

Hekate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:05 PM

(From Furyspawn):
It's called a PK Tournament, not a PvP Tournament. L2read.

If it were a PK tournament, it wouldn't have rules. L2think.

#23 Furyspawn

Furyspawn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:17 PM

QQ some more about the rules. I find it rather amusing.
But srsly, get over it. Like Ayri said, if you don't like the rules, host your own tournament.

#24 Hooch

Hooch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

By your line of ruling then you might as well only hold a first class bracket for warrior classes. If fleeing is nothing but cowardice and cheaply thought out strategy, then you give the mages, clerics, and thieves almost a zero chance of coming out on top.

That could very well carry into second class as well. You call me a coward for striking/retreating before my much stronger opponent can react. I call that utilizing my skill to it's fullest against a far superior person in closed quarter fighting.

You might as well just limit the tournament to a single room with no traps or anything, because being smart enough to utilize your environment is something cowards do.

#25 Hekate

Hekate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

(From Furyspawn):
QQ some more about the rules. I find it rather amusing.
But srsly, get over it. Like Ayri said, if you don't like the rules, host your own tournament.

(From Hypocritispawn):
Further more, altering rules and making exceptions for certain class brackets is unheard of, imo. But so is making a rule for a specific class. This being said, I also would like to disagree with the no MM rule. This specifically restricts one of the monk's most useful spells, while making no other class-specific restriction for any of the other classes.