Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

v4.3 Beta Game Addition: Religion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

#1 Duende

Duende

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1612 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:05 PM

In the approaching version 4.3, we will be adding a new beta feature, Religion. Religion permits players to declare their devotion to a given deity, of whom there are three dozen or so. Each deity is a subsidiary of one of the five Powers, and association with the deity confers association with the related Power. For example, if a player were a devotee of Nadazar, the merfolk god, they would be a follower of Ithrilis. Each deity has at least one religious leader, before whom players may RELIGION FOLLOW . To renounce their faith, players may RELIGION ABANDON.

Religion will be for more than roleplaying; each Power has a shrine in the Sigil Underground. Each shrine is all NPK, as is the entirety of the Sigil Underground. The shrines have a standard design, to permit easy navigation. Approximately 150 rooms, the followers of the shrine's Power can use shortcuts to traverse through the shrine easily, while everyone else is forced to wind their way through twisty, long passages. Built-in weapons and traps allow the followers of the shrine's Power to repel invaders.

At designated, periodic times, shrines will be subject to attack by members of competing religions. Each shrine has 4 emblematic control points, such as a giant salamander or a void demon. These 4 control points start out in the possession of the religion whose shrine they are in, but they may be corrupted by the presence of members of other religions. each control point has 250 integrity; every tick, for every member of a competing religion in that control point's room, one point of integrity is gained by that religion, and all other religions lose one integrity for that point. members of the control point's native religion cause the control point to regain integrity at a rate of 3 points per tick. a control point's integrity is not changed when combat is occurring in its room. when a competing religion reduces a control point's integrity to 0, that control point is lost.

At the end of the duration during which shrines are attackable, a tally of which religions were able to maintain their control points and conquer the control points of other factions is made. For every control point a given religion took over, they earn 1 Power Standing for their religion; for every control point lost, they lose 1 Power Standing.

Having a good Power Standing is useful for unlocking powerful new religion-based spells. Each religion has 3 special, religion-only spells. Each spell has a certain Power Standing requirement that must be met in order for it to be used. examples include Megalith, a Maradas utility spell that blocks an exit with a monolith for a few ticks or until it is dug through, and Magnetic Field, Vandyne's defensive armor spell that passively pulls off opponents' armor during battle.

Religion will be open to players of all levels, and non-archon players will have special roles in attacking and defending shrines. There are traps and NPCs to assist in shrine combat, but PK is the driving force behind the dynamic. To roughly balance out the distribution of followers among religions, there will be a dynamic to divide each religions' spells' power by the number of followers relative to the number of other religions' followers.

tl, dr: A new religion command will be added. You can follow gods. making your god powerful will confer religion-based spells. players of the same religion have a shrine that they defend, and attack other religions' shrines at certain times. conquering other religions' shrines unlocks more powerful religion-based spells.

#2 Insanity

Insanity

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

This is very cool. 8)

#3 Yodor

Yodor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:50 PM

Ah, a new way to stop the "Insanity". :lol:

#4 Reverence

Reverence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:55 PM

I like it. I'm just wondering why this is in Sigil and not Xaventry? I always thought Xav was the most religious town of the lot.

#5 Xelessar

Xelessar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:07 AM

Yipeeeeee!! Finally!

#6 Dupre

Dupre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:20 AM

Finally I get something for worshipping duende

#7 Ich

Ich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:25 AM

The powers I confer to my followers are... unique.

#8 Valiance

Valiance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:35 AM

Epic.

#9 Yodor

Yodor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:22 AM

Guess players in Sigil can do more than just talk trash on Sigil yells once this gets imp'd.

#10 Ezekail

Ezekail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:41 AM

Pretty much sounds like my religion wars idea, gonna steal all the credit.

#11 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

It's more under Sigil and the surrounding area, than anything :)

#12 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:23 PM

There's also a new attack spell that will just be granted to Priests and Paladins, available when you are following a Power.

#13 Throm

Throm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:08 PM

Hi. I'm a PC*, and Materia Magica v4.3 was my idea.

*Player Character

#14 Lemming

Lemming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:28 PM

From the WITCH help file:
When a witch gains a certain amount of experience, she may choose to bind
herself to an aerial spirit. Such a binding increases the power of the
witch significantly, and is not something to be undertaken lightly. The
binding is irrevocable and lasts until the final end of the witches' life.
The binding allows the witch to tap into forces - through the aerial spirit
- that enable her most powerful spells.

Is this part of the Religion system?

#15 Yodor

Yodor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

(From Vassago):
It's more under Sigil and the surrounding area, than anything :)

Eyyyeeeeee.....Sigil underhanded tells will get official backing next MM version change. :lol:

#16 Articfox

Articfox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:03 AM

ha, duende.. no way i would worship him but hes a cool guy.

#17 Kabaal

Kabaal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2054 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:47 AM

Sigil is a real place? i always thought it was an injoke on the archon channel. This has opened my eyes.

Also archon class religions would be cool :whistle:

#18 Krim

Krim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1824 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

Can I worship robots?

#19 Zaki

Zaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:24 AM

I have a problem with this.
I'm a pacifist monk.

I would the system to be expanded to involve non-religious extremists.

Saenia - The sea-elves native to the Proving Grounds worship Saenia, Goddess of Peace and Diplomacy, as a saving grace against the sahuagin.

Perhaps they could be related to -not- murdering things?

Please.

#20 Krim

Krim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1824 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:41 AM

Religion and murder come hand in hand.

#21 Yodor

Yodor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:35 AM

(From Kabaal):
Also archon class religions would be cool :whistle:

Ummmm... aren't archons in pk already overpowered without having the ability of religious "zot". :lol:

#22 Yankee

Yankee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:04 AM

(From Zaki):
I have a problem with this.
I'm a pacifist monk.

I would the system to be expanded to involve non-religious extremists.

Saenia - The sea-elves native to the Proving Grounds worship Saenia, Goddess of Peace and Diplomacy, as a saving grace against the sahuagin.

Perhaps they could be related to -not- murdering things?

Please.

How do you level your character?

#23 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:13 AM

There's always the option of worshiping one of the five Powers directly, if you don't want to be associated with the anthropomorphizations.

#24 Ovelia

Ovelia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

Exciting =D

:sheep::flame:

#25 Throm

Throm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

As I mentioned in-game, there should be a temple for atheist players, too. Rather than obtaining religious powers like the other devotions, atheist devotees would be rewarded with the ability to negate other religious powers in some manner for defending their non-temple-building-thing.