Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

v4.3 Beta Game Addition: Religion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

#51 Salorin

Salorin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:26 PM

I don't see how atheists fit into the world of Alyria, but I'll take Throm's request and suggest what might be a constructive idea.

Players who choose to align themselves to no powers lose all or a part of their magical abilities (since those come from the powers) and as a tradeoff get boosts to their combat abilities (kicks that silence, punches that blind).

Fight over the details if you want.

#52 Throm

Throm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:46 AM

It's been about 10 or 11 years since I last read any kind of story or history of Alyria, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading how magick was somehow tied to the moons; not necessarily deities. So, feel free to explain it away however you see fit. I, personally, couldn't care less about what "makes sense" in this game, since half of it is already far beyond that point.

#53 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:11 AM

We don't have any plans to add anything for atheists. It's more of a real world concept than one that works in this fantasy world, since it's sort of an easy fact to prove that demigods and Powers exist, as they are immediately present in Alyria.

#54 Throm

Throm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

Well, what I was suggesting wasn't exactly modeling real life atheism, anyway. As you said, the Powers are demonstrable presences in the game world, and true atheism can't exist in a theistic context. I was advocating for those who willingly choose not to worship a deity, or theistic rebels, if you will.

It's especially applicable for druids. Given that a player couldn't be a follower of all religions, wouldn't it make more sense for a druid to be a follower of no religions than a single religion? If they really do hold balance to be of the utmost importance, that is.

#55 Primus

Primus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1846 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:36 PM

(kicks that silence, punches that blind).

Hell yes to throat kicks and eye gouges.

#56 Duende

Duende

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1613 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:09 PM

Two more spells being added for religions include Monument and Bathe.

Monument is classed as a defensive Maradan spell. Many statues and figures across Alyria have been remade to use the new 'statue' object type. Statues may be animated with Monument, and typically are more powerful than other summoned creatures, bar witches' Shadows.

Bathe is a defensive Ithrilis spell, castable only on others, which heals its target by the value of Ithrilis' Piety every Alyrian minute. Piety is the metric by which the Powers' influence are judged; when religion is introduced, each Power will have 200 Piety, for a total of 1000, meaning that Bathe can potentially be a very powerful spell.

#57 Shinde

Shinde

Class Terraformer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:00 PM

(From Throm):
I was advocating for those who willingly choose not to worship a deity, or theistic rebels, if you will.

That would be most accurately Misotheism (hatred or opposition of gods) or antitheism (hatred or opposition to the worship of gods). This isn't really tenable for a priest/shaman to hold, unless you can devise some alternative source of their divine spell's power (IIRC: D&D had an anti-priest class they intercepted and stole the divine favors en-route to priests who invoked divine powers).

I suppose you could be atheist: while you acknowledge these entities exist, you don't not consider them as having any divine status.

Anyone who worships a specific power would be Monolatristic: they only worship a single god, but do recognize the existence and divinity of the others.

Druids are likely animists, and fully polytheistic.

Witches can be pretty much whatever they want.

#58 Tamlin

Tamlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:43 AM

I am looking forward to this.

Maybe my holy paladin will finally get something to his credit :P

#59 Calum

Calum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:51 AM

My alt is a bachelor, and would like to worship cheese. Are there any plans for cheese deities ?

#60 Duende

Duende

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1613 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:11 PM

Another spell we just added is the offensive Maradan spell Landslide. Cast in combat with a directional argument, it will throw the caster's opponent in the chosen direction- unless the exit is Megalithed, in which case the opponent will take heavy damage.

#61 Lunarea

Lunarea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

With that spell, would it be possible to "throw" someone into death traps or CPK rooms?

#62 Duende

Duende

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1613 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:37 PM

no, subject to the same restrictions as, say, spook.

#63 Duende

Duende

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1613 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:46 PM

Dira's defensive spell is Air Halo, an affect spell which gives its caster +10 air-prcnt; when an opponent attacks, they receive -1 air-prcnt per hit.

#64 Duende

Duende

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1613 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:54 PM

Each of the five Powers will have a Shrine dedicated to them in the Sigil Underground. In each Shrine will be located 4 entity/control points symbolizing or embodying that Power. To minimize confusion and the learning curve, each Shrine will have the same layout. There are 4 entrances to each Shrine, located around the perimeter. The control points branch inward from the perimeter, with their own exclusive arms. Invaders and followers of no/other Powers are constrained to these branches, but there are also shortcuts between branches that adherents of the Shrine's Power may cut through. These religion-specific shortcuts make it easier to traverse the Shrine and evade traps and unwanted combat.

G = Shrine rooms
-/\||X = links
o = religion-specific rooms
? = religion-specific links
Q = control points

|X            G-G-G-G
|X           /       \
|X        G-G         G-G
|X       /?             ?\
|X      G?o-o-o     o-o-o?G
|X     /       \   /       \
|X    G         o-o         G
|X    ||        ?   ?        ||
|X    G     G-G-G-G-G-G o   G
|X   / \   /           \?? / \
|X  G   G G   G-G-G-G   Q G   G
|X  ||    X   /       \  ? ||   ||
|X  G   G G G?o?Q-G-G G o G   G
|X  ||   || ?\ \       \ \? ||   ||
|X  G   G o G G-G-Q?o?G G G   G
|X  ||   || ?  \       /   X    || 
|X  G   G Q   G-G-G-G   G G   G
|X   \ / ??\           /   \ /
|X    G   o G-G-G-G-G-G     G
|X    ||        ?   ?        ||
|X    G         o-o         G
|X     \       /   \       /
|X      G?o-o-o     o-o-o?G
|X       \?             ?/
|X        G-G         G-G
|X           \       /
|X            G-G-G-G

#65 Zaki

Zaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:11 PM

So really, how can I help without being a murderous religious zealot?

#66 Duende

Duende

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1613 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:39 PM

Defend your Power from the raving, blasphemous hordes.

#67 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:59 PM

We're considering something non-slaughter-y for this feature, as well.

#68 Zaki

Zaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

Good to hear. :)

#69 Taldor

Taldor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

Sounds good, having class restricted PK will be a good thing.

#70 Yodor

Yodor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:12 AM

This isn't going to be a battle of "perception" pk area, right? e.g. a player will be able to do "cutting edge" stuff.

#71 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:57 PM

I totally do not understand that question.

#72 Yodor

Yodor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:04 PM

(From Duende):
Religion will be open to players of all levels, and non-archon players will have special roles in attacking and defending shrines. There are traps and NPCs to assist in shrine combat, but PK is the driving force behind the dynamic. To roughly balance out the distribution of followers among religions, there will be a dynamic to divide each religions' spells' power by the number of followers relative to the number of other religions' followers.

(From Duende):
Defend your Power from the raving, blasphemous hordes.

(From Vassago):
We're considering something non-slaughter-y for this feature, as well.

(From Yodor):
This isn't going to be a battle of "perception" pk area, right? e.g. a player will be able to do "cutting edge" stuff.

Ok, pun translation goes as follows, does this mean that there's a new form of pk, "perception" pk (no-skills, deity spells only) -- appropriate for Sigil, given it's history of spam crap on tell/yell --?
Not to be confused with the class grouped cpk/npk/lpk inclusive of the "deity" power(s) using standard hack-n-slash (cutting edge) methods.

Additional thoughts:
Taking a "rune" cue, will the whole (or specific deity) area be able to be influenced/changed by a deity/player with the most influence/highest deity rating (or perhaps just in the deity area that the player is following) with how much/long changes are effect influenced by the amount of favor points associated with the deity's town held by an alliance and/or deity's town mayor(s) standing.

#73 Duende

Duende

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1613 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:36 PM

what?

#74 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:40 PM

I sort of get it, but the perception proficiency has nothing to do with religion.

#75 Kaczia

Kaczia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:18 PM

When a pun needs that much explanation... :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: