Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Re: Clan Owners

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Neostar

Neostar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:33 AM

This thread was missing its parent, so this placeholder message was created in its place. No more orphans! :)

#2 Neostar

Neostar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:58 PM

I agree with the majority of what Thaen said. There should be a limited number of players at each rank in a clan and it would be nice to see a ton of clans deleted. With the current # of clans there is very little interaction and conflict. The active people are too spread out.

#3 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

Deleting clans wouldn't work because people are attached to their clans. The most inactive clans, however, have been deleting themselves. I could see putting a temporary restriction on new clan creation, or doubling the cost of such.

#4 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:06 AM

I agree with Neostar's assessment. Scrooge - that could help hinder the new clan growth but how many people would be complaning? Everyone nowdays wants to have their own clan. clans have become nothing more than additional recall points and places to camp hunters. I also dislike the change to owner only hunters but that is another topic...

Needless to say, something needs to be done to cause the stagnation of the clan pool to end. All of my ideas would be shot down, as they would be to flag all clans as pk, change the delete on clans to less months of being in tax, increase the response rate of deletion, etc etc etc...

Alliances should also be more restricted. the alliance stackup currently hinders the game more than helps in the dynamic of keeping clans participating in more than being friends and not pking anyone. it seems alliances are just a smaller, slightly more restricted form of chat relay.

end rant - basically, id love to see things changed. no one seems to have any viable solutions and until then nothing will change. someone motivate duende into nerfing alliances and dead clans. it will spark something interesting.

#5 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:25 PM

Did you really just imply that people would complain more about not being able to make new clans than about clans getting deleted.

There are only 62 clans, clan list fits on a single screen for the first time I remember. If anything, clans should be renumbered.

#6 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:04 AM

Unlike the number of players, the number of clans doesn't drop in the very early mornings.

#7 Throm

Throm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:05 AM

In my opinion, the ideal solution would be basing the cost of creating a new clan on the average players online over the past 30 days vs. the current number of clans in the game. The greater the disparity between average players online and current number of clans, the higher the cost of creating a new clan should be. This kind of a system would keep the players-to-clans ratio within a desirable range without explicit intervention.

Of course, this assumes that we could decide on what the most desirable ratio of players-to-clans is. Right now, we're hovering around 2.4 online players for every clan. That's much better than it has been in the past, but still pretty bad, in my opinion. I'd like to see it more in the range of 4-6 players for every clan. Assuming this happened, and it was decided that, say, 5:1 was the most desirable ratio, we could then use that ratio and the cost of a clan as it is now (40,000,000 gp) to come up with a formula for calculating the cost dynamically:

desired_ratio = 5
desired_cost = 40000000
round_up_to_nearest = 5000000

current_ratio = avg_players_online / current_number_clans
current_cost = desired_ratio / current_ratio * desired_cost
current_cost = current_cost + round_up_to_nearest - (current_cost % round_up_to_nearest)

Which, incidentally, would set the current cost of creating a clan to 85,000,000. It also works just as well in the opposite direction, in case we ever have too few clans for the number of players, but I really don't see that ever being an issue.

#8 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:18 AM

Better yet, use that technique to calculate taxes.

#9 Neostar

Neostar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:24 PM

hah what is up with the "This thread was missing its parent, so this placeholder message was created in its place. No more orphans!" and why did it post under my name. Kinda random.

Anyways, I've honestly forgot what this thread was all about but I do think a clan tax formula like that would be an excellent idea. If someone wants to keep a clan alive they either need to pay out the ass for it, or actually have an active clan that'll root a little. The rooting cost right now has been much admittedly a joke since as long as I can remember.

#10 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:29 AM

When we converted to the new Message Board system, for some reason some threads had some settings incorrect or had missing emails. More than likely the thread was closed or deleted (although in this case I have no idea why it would have been), but has been revived due to a quirk in the system.

So, that's what the "This thread was missing its parent" messages are for. I think it just used whoever the first valid poster in the thread was. You can tell that we kind of came in during a conversation.

#11 Pointyhat

Pointyhat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:51 AM

bring back clan merging :>