Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Website Top Navigation Re-Added, Sidebar Menu Retired

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:37 AM

Hi all,

I've created and added a more comprehensive dropdown menu (and more compact) than the one we originally had, and retired the sidebar menu. This should hopefully clean up some of the navigation issues, I realize that it was a little awkward. I have disabled the accordion menu that was in the left column on the subpages, and plan on replacing that with a latest forum posts or something along those lines (for now it will remain blank, however).

Please check it out and let me know what you think! Most menu items should be available from the dropdowns now (or submenus), but let me know your thoughts.

#2 Vorare

Vorare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:48 AM

Looks nicer, more responsive, less frustrating on the whole.

It's absolutely dandy now.

#3 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:48 AM

It's been pointed out that the top nav search box no longer works :( I will fix that in a bit.

#4 Csia

Csia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:41 AM

Nevermind.

#5 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

What was it?!???

#6 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:23 PM

I'd also like to take votes on what should be in the footer. I have one proposal already there that I added last night - basically the latest community updates and a list of the latest news items.

In the sidebar location I am planning on putting Latest Topics, just need to tweak the formatting.

#7 Csia

Csia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

When I wasn't logged in, I didn't see the top nav. Then I logged in and I saw the top nav. Then I posted about it, and logged out one more time to verify, and it was there, leading me to think it was a caching problem. I then logged back in and edited my post. It was an eventful evening.

#8 Yagami

Yagami

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:57 PM

You're not insane. It disappears sometimes. For example, if I'm logged in and hit 'back' to get back to the Community page it's missing. If I'm not logged in and navigate to any subpages, it's also not there.

I hope the kinks get worked out, because this new navbar is much nicer.

#9 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:51 PM

Yeah I've noticed that, but only on my home computer. Trying to work out the issue.

Meanwhile, I've readded the left bar, but with latest forum topics (and removed this column from the community home page). Let me know what you think.

The search box should also be fixed.

#10 Yagami

Yagami

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:41 AM

It's a good idea, but it's a bit too small and crowded. You could get rid of the subforum and date to see if it helps.

#11 Csia

Csia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:56 AM

I'd rather see the content take up the entire width.

#12 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:19 AM

It looks like we've tracked the problem with the top nav disappearing to AdBlocker software (?) - or things similar to it. I've been able to reproduce it with a few different extensions now. Trying to see if it's fixable.

#13 Yagami

Yagami

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

It would make more sense to put the classifieds in the side bar and give the wider width to the normal topics.

#14 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:15 PM

Well, the sidebar is on every page of the website, not just the Community page. Right now I have it showing all recent topics, regardless of forum on the left sidebar, and on the Community homepage showing the Classifieds in the original spot where it showed Recent Topics for non-classifieds items. It'd definitely be nice, though, if that scroll were wider, especially since there's room for it :-/

#15 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:53 AM

... and I've tweaked the left columns a bit, adjusted the /community page so it's a little tighter (especially the latest videos part), fixed some minor CSS issues, and fixed a few other issues that were causing weirdness with the domain name (for example, using moongate.net to get to the site instead of materiamagica.com). Also a few other minor adjustments here and there.

Oh, and I scheduled the Religion Battle events for the next month, as well as the next global quest. Everyone sign up! :)

#16 Hastur

Hastur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:27 PM

Regarding the top navigation dissapearing, I use the noscript extension and noticed I had to also allow scripts from materiamagica.org, which put the nav bar back. Strangely, the site doesn't always want to run scripts from mm.org (as is the case right now, nothing coming from that url).

Also, when viewing the site, page requests will timeout for me about 70% of the time. Makes the site very, very hard to use.

#17 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:13 AM

You shouldn't be using materiamagica.org - it should autoredirect to www.materiamagica.com (as of a few days ago), so that's the host you should allow.

I don't know what the timeout problems are, unless it's a Google Analytics thing or an internet connection issue.

Did the problems happen after I added the new dropdowns, or just the new site in general? How good/fast is your internet connection? Are you in the US or overseas? What browser are you using and have you tried another browser? Just trying to track down the issue.

#18 Hastur

Hastur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:26 PM

In the US, on a decent cable connection, other sites load fast. The slow loading times and timeouts only occur on this site. Things seem ok now, but I just timed out again trying to reply to this topic.

Last night, after posting the last reply, somehow I ended up at this URL to view this thread:
http://worldofalyria...mit=10&start=10

Of course the top nav had disappeared again, since I wasn't allowing scripts from that host.

#19 Yagami

Yagami

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:33 PM

I'll confirm this. Sometimes the page won't even load, because it's redirected to .org, .net, or other mirrors with strange names.

#20 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:56 PM

Ok, THAT is totally bizarre. I don't have anything set up to handle those domain names, so they shouldn't be showing up at all unless you're using them to access the site.

#21 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:02 PM

Ok I think the issue is the page caching. If someone else comes in on a different domain name that we answer to and the site isn't redirecting it, it keeps track of that and might bounce them all over creation. I've turned it off for now until I can revisit it.

#22 Guest_Mikmokette_*

Guest_Mikmokette_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:25 AM

If you're using Firefox, which is WAY slower than the other browsers, and if you also have more than 2-3 addons, it's possible that you're experiencing speed problems :X

Would be useful to know if the website was tested by the same person on many browsers (and browsers without any plugins).

#23 Cyrell

Cyrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3532 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:34 AM

Further to that, perhaps people who are experiencing slow loading times on this website should switch to using another browser? Firefox is totally not the cool browser it used to be: it's bloated, ageing code. I've tested this website on Chrome, IE, Firefox, Opera and Safari on two different computers and operating systems and I can say without a doubt that the problems only appear when I use Firefox.

@Hastur. If you're going to use an addon that blocks functionality on websites, then why would you complain about not getting the whole experience? I'm not saying that it's your noscript addon causing all the problems, but perhaps you should disable everything or try another browser just to test things?

Vassago could also have some optimization to do on his end of things, but go back to basics first and make sure it's not Firefox.

#24 Cyrell

Cyrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3532 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:41 AM

Also, where is my side navbar? Where is my footer that had the latest posts? OK, I can read the article topic and I am trolling, I admit it. But my point is, I really liked these features because they would let me go instantly to the next post that had a comment no matter where I was on the page, top, middle or bottom. I think one of the keys to functionality and usability is that your site has 2-3 quick access options to move around fast. If this annoys a few tin foil hat wearing minimalists, I can live with that.

#25 Shax

Shax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:50 PM

What is a tin foil hat wearing minimalist