Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Website Top Navigation Re-Added, Sidebar Menu Retired

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#26 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:08 PM

The left sidebar was cool but just didn't work well in practice, primarily due to technical issues. Footer - since I added the latest posts to the left nav bar, I didn't see any reason to have them in the footer, too.

I've gotten a redirect set up now that should redirect everything to www.materiamagica.com, so hopefully there won't be any more weirdness with other domains showing up.

#27 Elaril

Elaril

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:13 AM

Hey Vassago, I like the new navigation sidebar a lot. It's clean, crisp, and very responsive. It, I think, is more functional and nicer-looking than the sidebar that required two clicks - one to open the category, and one to actually go to that page.

Using Google Chrome, I don't see any issues with the bar yet disappearing, whether I am logged in or not. Chrome rocks like that.

Now if it would only have the ability to block unsecure items on secure connections to prevent hijacking and stuff. Right now, when you login to the webpage here, Google shows a slash through the https: and the padlock has an X on it:

Your connection to www.materiamagica.com is encrypted with 256-bit encryption. However, this page includes other resources which are not secure. These resources can be viewed by others while in transit, and can be modified by an attacker to change the behavior of the page.

The connection uses TLS 1.0

The connection is encrypted using CAMELLIA_256_CBC, with SHA1 for message authentication and DHE_RSA as the key exchange mechanism.

The connection is not compressed.

Since Google, after 9 versions, still doesn't let you block what even IE lets you block, can you look into this and find out the insecured resources to rectify this?

#28 Elaril

Elaril

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:18 AM

Ok I tried to edit this, but for some reason it didn't work! In the first sentence I meant to say topbar, not sidebar.

I also wanted to say that I like what's in the sidebar now with things that are possibly eye-catching for impulse-clicking, and is a better use of the real estate of the page. It's not demanding, it's rather subtle. Nice!

#29 Erithiaen

Erithiaen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:17 AM

The new top bar hover-over menu is GREAT. Makes it so much easier to find what you want. Thanks Vass!!

#30 Hastur

Hastur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:24 PM

Blame the browser, not the bloated website? I'll pass.

The old site worked wonderfully for me. The new site is slow and bloated and just plain less fun to visit. I think the general disuse of the forums these days will attest to that.

#31 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:02 PM

Hastur: We're working on the issues with the new site, although it shouldn't be slow anymore (except from a bandwidth issue, which I agree some of the images need to be optimized better).

The new nav and left sidebar should resolve a lot of the confusing navigation issues.

The old site didn't start out the way it was, either, we tweaked it a bunch over time:) Patience...

#32 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:39 PM

Oh, and glad you guys like the top nav bar :)

Regarding the SSL issue - I am still trying to track that down. As far as I can tell the site isn't loading any non-HTTPS pages, unless one of our scripts is loading something remotely.

#33 Cyrell

Cyrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3532 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:03 PM

Hastur, I'm only stating what my experience was benchmarking several browsers/oses vs the website.

If you want a smooth forum experience with instant loading of all elements and instant smooth scrolling using your mouse wheel, use anything but Firefox.

Don't shoot the messenger, k?

#34 Elaril

Elaril

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:06 AM

Per Google: http://www.google.co...en&answer=95617

The icon appears when Google Chrome detects high-risk insecure content, such as JavaScript, on the page or when the site presents an invalid certificate. The "https" in the URL is also crossed out when this happens.

Since you have JavaScript EVERYWHERE on the site, and it's highly insecure for our profile/login pages, this is why the URL shows as such.

Can this be rectified ASAP? This is our game logins at risk.

#35 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:40 AM

Is this the same way they're at risk every single time we log in over an unencrypted telnet session?

#36 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

I don't think it's happening anymore since I changed the page caching, but either way the slash doesn't mean that anything is at risk, it just means all the content isn't encrypted. Sure, it COULD mean other things, but if you trust the site it's usually not a big deal. If you're browsing the general web, or purchasing things online, it might become more of a concern.

#37 Karo

Karo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:14 AM

Unrelated but I thought I'd tack this on here. The 'mark all read' button on the main forums page seems to be broken again.

#38 Elaril

Elaril

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:46 PM

Hackers don't sit on telnet ports. Their regular haunts are HTTP(S) and NetBIOS invasions. Added to that list now is WiFi security cracking.

#39 Elaril

Elaril

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:48 PM

It's not an issue of TRUSTING the site itself, it is the issue of someone fabricating a page that spoofs yours with a very similar-looking URL that isn't encrypted at all.

Get rid of the JavaScript, and this problem is most likely gone.

#40 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hahahahahahahaha.

I'm about to stop using ssh, why waste the processor cycles?

#41 Knightotri

Knightotri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:51 PM

Hackers don't sit on telnet ports. Their regular haunts are HTTP(S) and NetBIOS invasions. Added to that list now is WiFi security cracking.

Hahaha, thanks for the laugh. :)