Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Easter Global Critique

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Shinra

Shinra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

First of all I want to thank the staff for bringing a little light-hearted fun this spring. I enjoyed much of the global, whatever criticism I have.

Considering that today is the last day, overall I felt that this particular event fell short. This is not because of the limit per day, which is reasonable.

It seemed to me that this wasn't anyone's baby, if that makes sense. I explored all 4 cities where hares were spawning, and found that while Vospire, and to a lesser extent, Rune, were "hopping," Xaventry and New Rigel were a bit more exhausting to hunt. That's fine, you can't help some places being larger, or with less accessible portions than others. But it did discourage some from participating, I observed.

The boots. Forget about the fact that people didn't really want them. Forget that they took a while to recharge (which is fine). Forget that sometimes they stopped recharging completely. But what happened to the storyline? Where are the real Seven-League Boots? That's a thread that I think should have been extended somehow.

I liked the eggs, a lot. Finding one and sprinting as fast as you can to an assistant was both glorious and agonizing. That feature gets a thumbs up all around.

In the end, I had a lot of fun with the global. However, after the initial rush, I feel it did fall short as a game-wide event. Perhaps it was never intended to be that engrossing. As I mentioned in Feature Discussion, the competition at the beginning was great, and I wish there were a way to have recaptured that once proper limits were in place.

I do have suggestions for next year, but this post would get even more silly long.

After all, it's just trapping.

#2 Beefking

Beefking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:53 PM

I actually enjoyed the global quite a bit. I'm not even going to state how many PP, QP, and BP I got during this week for fear that the Imms will nuke it next time around :>

Probably the only real problem I had with the global was this: the people that ONLY trapped the PP hares and ignored all others. This really threw the balance of ebony to other type hares off.

On that note; changing the brown hares to BP was an awesome idea. All in all, great global Imms; thank you!

#3 Chaosfire

Chaosfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:53 PM

As a general rule, I have never found the trapping globals to be as fun as those of the hack-and-slash variety. While the trapping globals are less rewarding, they are also less engaging, which is why I sat this one out.

#4 Rosa

Rosa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:32 AM

I had a great time, thanks to all who set up and maintained this event.

I'd like to see something different done to silver hares sometime, the boots didn't seem to be very popular over the baubles. Though I can't complain about rewards, turning in 32 eggs made this quite rewarding for me. :)

#5 Elaril

Elaril

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:15 AM

I thought it was fun enough.. playing cat-and-mouse with hares and hoping they would hop into shops/homes made it more advantageous I think, as they kinda corralled themselves. :)

I agree the boots idea was pretty lousy.. especially when the cities were overpopulated with silver hares nobody wanted to trap, and it seemed to affect the "fecundity" (lol) of the other types.

BP is just a bad idea for a reward. Regardless of how many you give, they don't go towards direct character building. Perhaps you could restrict this to seasonal quests, i.e. BP instead of EXP, that way for those who think getting tossed 10BP is a good thing, they can float their own (house)boat with it.

I disapproved of the rather stringent limit for the hares a little bit, especially because it was never done before to my knowledge, but since you could still get pretty good rewards off 30 hares a day (as opposed to the far too short reindeer fiasco), it's no big deal - In fact I applaud the fact that this global was extended for a week, and not a mere 24+ hours like turkey and reindeer.

Overall I give the global a healthy B+ as it was much better than the previous two globals. :) Thanks!

Trapping globals are far more fun in my opinion than killing globals. I cite the turkey disaster this past november. Someone mentioned about a type of trapping being a type of ongoing thing, and I think that would be great. Perhaps it could be the expansion of this global over the Seven-League Boots storyline, or possibly even seeking out PETA--I mean Alliance for Animal Rights, and maybe throwing them in a trap! We could call it the Memorial Mastery over Bilbo Ma'hare Event, and set it for Memorial Day Weekend. :D

#6 Kasdeya

Kasdeya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:08 AM

BP was a wonderful reward. I believe you can buy a house for as little as 5k BP now. I had some people tell me that they used the BP to buy all the flags which they couldn't afford in gold.

I had no trouble hunting ebony hares. I felt that the balance was just fine. If you had problems, my apologies. Over all, approx. 400pp, 3500qp, and 1.5kbp left me happy.

It was nice to have more than one day. I didn't feel rushed to participate and the daily limit forced me to do other things and give other people a chance to capture hares.

#7 Elaril

Elaril

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:00 AM

It's 9k to buy a one-room house with BP :/

#8 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:21 AM

It depends on the area.

#9 Perrin

Perrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:22 PM

I gave up on the global(and was probably the only one to do so, so I can probably be ignored) on day four for three reasons.

1: I didn't want QP and BP. I have QP right now and I don't have a house to use BP on. Besides which, there was no way I was going to be able to get enough to get a house. There weren't enough ebony hares in Rune(which is tiny compared to the other cities) to sustain my interest, and too much competition for the few there did end up being. With two-man teams going around trapping every direction I was unable to, it was demoralizing and I ended up quitting on day 4 when I ended up with something like 3 or 4 ebonies in as many hours(damn browns kept kamekaze'ing my trap, though! D: ).

2: I'm lame. Probably missed out on a lot of pracs by throwing in the towel, but oh well.

3: Rune was to small. I said it up there, but no as the focus for one of my points. Vospire was the next smallest, and it has something like 9 east-west streets all longer than Rune's 4. Th Astarach Preserve and pathway around Sumpter aren't really enough to make up the difference. If it were held instead in Tellerium or Templeton, it would have made for a more intresting and less crowded global for 3rd class.

Being that I'm probably the only one that quit on it devalues my argument and I still did make around 300 pracs before I quit, so it's all good.

#10 Cleopatra

Cleopatra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

Honestly, I enjoyed this global as much as I have the past Halloween Globals. I loved that it was extended. No pressure to be on at a certain time- made it much more enjoyable for me. I wasn't all that interested in Practices so I didn't run into the ebony issue. I agree that Silver should be revamped or done away with. The eggs were an interesting addition. I just really liked this global all around.

Kudos!

#11 Rydiah

Rydiah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:29 PM

Honestly, I enjoyed this global as much as I have the past Halloween Globals. I loved that it was extended. No pressure to be on at a certain time- made it much more enjoyable for me. I wasn't all that interested in Practices so I didn't run into the ebony issue. I agree that Silver should be revamped or done away with. The eggs were an interesting addition. I just really liked this global all around.

Kudos!

Agreed. I thought this was a really fun and relaxed global. I enjoyed it immensely. I also thought the fragile eggs were a neat addition, even if someone people were hunting them like crazy. I still managed to find a few, which was all I really wanted. So all-in-all I'd say I found this global to be a worthwhile experience. Looking foward to it again next year! :)

#12 Shinde

Shinde

Class Terraformer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:07 PM

I didn't actually participate in the global (though I did actually leave the clanhall). However, I did hear some feedback from those who did participate.

First, the change to BP was a good one. Had I caught any hares, I would have focused on these (Kayuki did). Quest points and practices are obtained easily through other channels, BP is limited to RU and a trickle from daily rewards.

I'm not a huge fan of the daily cap, but I do agree some limit needs to be imposed to avoid making the global overly productive. I think a diminishing returns formula would work: the traps already don't work 100 of the time. So you could reduce the chance to catch a hare once you pass a certain ratio caught in the past # hours. You could try to catch as many as you want, but if you catch more than say 10 in the last 6 hours your traps will have a very low capture rate.

I do agree that silver hares need to be reevaluated. I counted large numbers of them because no one was catching them. The reward is only moderately useful and temporary and with the hard cap there is an opportunity cost most aren't willing to pay (or wouldn't pay more than 1-2 times). The easiest fix would be to have them not count against any caps/limits, or also give them some small bonus to offset the brown/gray/ebony you didn't catch.

#13 Vorare

Vorare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:14 AM

Limits are great, they allow people the chance to get in on it with alts, and so that people who stay up through the entire week with amphetamines don't massively outstrip people with lives.

I'd have figured the "casual" players would all favor the latter reasoning, but hey, I guess not.