Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Petition Regarding: Ships vanishing after one year

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Minotorious

Minotorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5271 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

Currently after one calendar year of inactivity, ships are deleted entirely.

This is not documented anywhere in the game and players are not warned in any way shape or form that this is going to happen.

Immortals have also stated that policy is that no reimbursement or restoration of the ships will ever be granted.

FWIW: I have not lost a ship in this way, simply posting this because in the course of guiding I've seen numerous people who return to the game ask where the hell their ship is.

If you agree that this is a silly policy and should be changed, please post here and see if enough people speak up to get it changed to at least warn people of the 'feture' if not have it removed entirely.

#2 Dwarfius

Dwarfius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

This is quite unsettling. Usually, I try to log on every 6 months or go even though I'm not sure when I will come back again just to make sure stuff doesn't go wrong, like my character wasn't deleted, so I have not lost a ship this way. But if db is telling the truth (which I have no idea tbh), then I really don't like this weird rule.

#3 Ithilwen

Ithilwen

[Clan 52] Diversity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationRune Estates West

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

Because I also don't know if this rule is true or not - considering I read the 'help ship' file and didn't see it anywhere - I can only suggest that it's put somewhere under the SHIP DRYDOCK explanation.

Spoiler

It seems as though it would fit in there, though if this section of the help file is accurate, it also seems as though ships getting deleted wouldn't be a problem. It seems to give the impression that they would merely be dry-docked.

In any case, I voted for the option of warning. If the ships are not dry-docked and are simply deleted to conserve space, I don't like it. However, if it needs to happen, some steps need to be taken to notify the owner of the ship.

Posted Image

MISTRESS OF SYMPHONIES • MOON MAIDEN • OWNER OF CLAN DIVERSITY

Model: Valentina Kallias, Artwork: Ithilwen

#4 Paradox

Paradox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:29 AM

My RU purchased ship was deleted after a long break, I still have the title but admin refused to restore it.

#5 Kamam

Kamam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

100% agree ships should not be deleted. It makes no sense. The drydocking sure, but deletion? Why not just start deleting gear, homes, and other in-game obtainables after some arbitrary time period?

It would be great to get a comment from the staff on this, a) in regards to why, and B) as to why people can't get stuff restored from a clearly ridiculous policy.

Also it would be good to clarify if this happens if the user doesn't sign on in a year, or simply the ship isn't used in a one-year period. What actually determines "inactivity"?

#6 Paradox

Paradox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:32 AM

I like the Idea of dry docking. If a player goes AWOL maybe the water authority can seize it and dry dock it for a release fee. For organized people you can dry dock it up front for free.

If I buy a house with RU and a ship with RU, why would one disappear and not the other. In the worst case they should be restorable with a renewal token

#7 Wafflefry

Wafflefry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:18 AM

ARRR!!! Pirates stoled your ship! :evil:

#8 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

Gear, homes, and other in-game obtainables used to be deleted for inactivity all the time.

#9 Karo

Karo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

Why not just start deleting gear, homes, and other in-game obtainables after some arbitrary time period?

Yay!

Gear, homes, and other in-game obtainables used to be deleted for inactivity all the time.

Down with hoarding! Burn the village! Arrrr!

#10 Paradox

Paradox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

We should all be trying to increase the player base. removing items people from people because they decide to take a break makes no sense.

For what purpose? To save a bit of primary/secondary memory?

Deleting anything due to inactivity is pointless. People come. People go. People return. Every additional active player in the game adds to the dynamics, it is the fundamental source of Success for MM. I remember times when I would be the only player logged on, and that is not the place we should be aiming to be.

#11 Calum

Calum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:02 AM

We will fight them on the beaches. Wait, where's my ship..

And my heart will go ooonnnnnnn aaaaaaaannnnnnnnd ooonnnnnn!

BerMMuda Triangle ?

Wait, is that Kate Winslet over there ?

#12 Rascon

Rascon

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:43 AM

The amount of memory saved by deleting these ships is so insignifant it is laughable to think this would be the reason they give for enacting this policy, however there does seem to be no other logical (good)reason for deleting players ships after a year, it needs to be changed for the good of the game. These types of policies (amongst other factors) are exactly why this game is losing its playerbase at an alarming rate. I miss the days when u might not be able to log on because there were already too many people connected.. now theres hardly 100 people on and only 30-40 are active.... I hope that Admin will take heed to some of the suggestions being put forth by some of the more engaged playerbase such as dragonburner, all the time i see suggestions that are valid concerns and almost never do i see a response from the admin on these things. Granted most of the time the suggestions are coming in in droves and only the rare few address serious problems, but these should be handled or responded to, or some kind of dialog should take place concerning these things, but for the most part it just seems like the admin doesnt even read these forums. Anyways down with deleting ships due to inactivity, put a timer for everyone on their title or dont delete at all.... dont punish someone because real life calls. it happens.

#13 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:11 AM

Ships haven't been autodeleted after a year for ages - years, in fact. The maximum time right now I think is about 3 years of unuse IF THE SHIP IS LEFT WRECKED and not restored after its last use.

They will autodelete after unuse if not wrecked, after 48 months, which is 4 years. I can probably remove this, though.

They do auto drydock after 240 days of unuse, though, to keep the harbors free.

Oh, and they autodrydock if they are left in SPK after a reboot, as well.

I should check the help entry and make sure it's accurate.

#14 Minotorious

Minotorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5271 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

Are you 100% certain on this vass?

If so, I am mistaken.

I do remember a couple of months ago, at least two people came back within a couple weeks time to find their ships deleted, and Sueno stated pretty emphatically that ships are deleted after 1 rl year, and that no replacements are offered.

#15 Damone

Damone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

My expired Might of the Baldric's did get deleted. I can only assume the same happened to some random gear I no longer have, but the only fair example I can give are the mights.

#16 Damone

Damone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

The old forum system seems a little better... it's kind of silly to reply to a particular comment only to have my tagged at the end of the list and in no way associated, that I can see, with the comment I am replying to... just makes my comment look very random and silly. :(