Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Fix the goddamn website

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Csia

Csia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:31 AM

Hi,

A few years ago some of you will remember we introduced a new website. At the time of introduction, it was not exactly well received. A bunch of people complained and were told "whoa guy, settle down, we just introduced it and will continue to improve it". This was a fair thing to say, it was a large overhaul and of course there will be growing pains. However, since the introduction of the new website, I cannot think of a single way it's been improved. Here are some issues:

1) The message board search is useless. Seriously, Vassago, have you ever tried to use it? Does it not drive you nuts? Considering the great amount of info thats dumped onto the message board, having a useless search is inexcusable.

2) My clan message board is gone. Prior to the change, 110 had an active, private message board. With the new change, we still have a kind of private message board, it's just never used because its separated out from the rest of the forum. Seriously, look at the posting frequency, the last post was in May of 2011. Your design literally killed a message board that was active and fun, and allowed us to stay in touch with old clan members that didn't log on.

Why do I say "private"? Well, if you go look at your clan message board you'll notice that people remove from your clan don't get removed from your message board. People currently in our message board group: Adiar, Baily, Banished, Darum, Elyssa, Jorem, Kerrick, Knightkit, Lilitu, Panzer, Revolution, Scrooge, Sinbad, Yapok. None of these people have been in my clan for years. Why are they still in my message board group?

3) rel="follow". The fact that you've had an error in your template/code thats persisted for nearly three years is embarrassing. Seriously.

4) Remember when the forum titled "Archon Only" was... archon... only...?

5) Remember player feedback (those little hearts that you could only leave every 180 days)? Remember how they were totally going to be added to to our new profiles?

Now, it'd be one thing if the site were actively being improved. But as far as I can tell, it's remained stagnant for years. Why am I posting about this now? Well, I'd actually like to send a message to my clan members and you've taken my best means of communicating with them. I understand you've been busy, but comon, real talk: it's been like two goddamn years and you still have basic problems. If the website were a priority some of this shit would have been fixed.

Please make the website a priority.

#2 Aesir

Aesir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:35 AM

The search function, in general, is kind of useless. Odds are, if I'm searching for something, my first choice is not going to be "old player logs." If I search my own name, the first 3423 results are places where my name comes up in other peoples' logs. Not my profile, not a forum post...

#3 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

This is the first and last post I will ever "THANK YOU" on this piece of shit.

#4 Romus

Romus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

Bring back the old site, it was better in almost every way.

#5 Dupre

Dupre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

Well said!

#6 Karo

Karo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:03 AM

Duprelia, you're breaking my heart
You're shaking my confidence daily
Oh, Duprelia, I'm down on my knees
I'm begging you please to come home!

#7 Iluvatar

Iluvatar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1679 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

Bring back the old site, it was better in almost every way.

This.

#8 Kabaal

Kabaal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2054 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

I really loved the old website. This one, not so much. Id be interested in knowing why things like profiles were changed. You can make a new website without removing existing systems.

#9 Iluvatar

Iluvatar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1679 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

Also W.T.F. is with the two blue bars on either side of the screen?? They probably represent 50% of the screen real estate.
Posted Image

#10 Erithiaen

Erithiaen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

Is there any progress on this? I usually get a response from Vassago when I post about the site being intended to be fixed in the near future (esp the old player comments which I miss), but a few years later and nothing :x

#11 Csia

Csia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

Hey, this topic was right above a 'rel="follow">' link. Glad to see were making progress!

Buuuuuuuuuump to the top.

#12 Romus

Romus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

I'm sure the source code to the old site is still handy somewhere, bring it back!

#13 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:30 AM

Yeah, I don't even think anyone cares if you can't backmerge the new posts and data. Just give us a fighting chance here.

#14 Csia

Csia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

http://www.materiama...nt/latesttopics

This page only lists one recept topic, which I know is wrong because I have to bump this thread again indicating that there have been at least seven recent topics.

#15 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:14 AM

https://www.materiam...ommunity/videos

This page is the most retardedly anachronistic thing you could think of to put on a website about a fantasy-themed text-based multi-user dungeon.

#16 Csia

Csia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

I see you replying to other topics but not this one. Hi admin B)

#17 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:39 AM

There's just a ton of work involved in migrating an entire huge site like this that still has custom code, over to the latest versions of things that resolve a lot of these issues. We know the bugs are there, it's just that the in-game bugs have been prioritized over website glitches. I have been working on a new version in the time I have available but there just haven't been enough blocks of time to get everything finished.

#18 Thror

Thror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

I for one am glad that you prioritize game bugs over website bugs.

Since it is quasi-related: could you consider changing the timing code/server code to be more forgiving with respect to the combat tick timer?

What I mean by this is since the server migration I have a really hard time fitting 3 second casts between rounds. Assuming the server currently lets the 3 second cast fit if you make it within ~.1 second of the timer (whatever it is), could you loosen it up a little bit so that it is more forgiving? This would help international players too.