Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Non game-breaking quality of life changes.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

#1 Notorious

Notorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:13 PM

Since returning a couple of months ago, I've been meaning to make a list of changes that wouldn't be completely game-breaking, but make life a little easier in Alyria. So here they are...

NPCs and 4 defenses: I believe little thought was put into the implementation of this idea. It makes many runs such as Kell Commander, NR Elements, Laocoon and nearly all DoA bosses a test of how good your character is at bash fleeing. Two should be the max in all of these cases. Hell, even when I'm doing quests that involve me killing npcs in temp cats, every single mob in there has 4 defenses, and these are LEVELING mobs. Even bard slowed they have 4 defenses, wtf?

Resisting Calm: This is another one i don't completely understand. What was so overpowered about calm before hand that there needed to be a chance for your own formation members to resist your own form mate's calm?

Boss Kills: Why do some bosses (Ash dragon) need to be killed 99 times before you actually get credit? If you can kill the boss, you deserve the credit no matter level differences in my opinion. Also, bosses like Raymatus and MEGAFATHER should grant the kill to the entire form. They're such a pain to get to and it's a bit of a letdown that only 3 people in your formation will get credit for actually killing it.

High Level NPC web: 20 minute web? Really? It doesn't even make things anymore difficult. Just an incredibly annoying wait timer.

Spell ups: Would it be incredibly overpowered if when i cast shield or play it as a bard, it lasts 90 minutes instead of 30? And if you cast spells like whirlwind and decide you want to wear a haste item instead, as it stands now you either have to dispel yourself or wait for whirlwind to wear off before your haste item takes affect. Same goes for sanctuary/fire invocation, shield/ice invocation, stone skin/ooze invocation etc.

Spell Timers:

cast ember carom - You do not see that target.
cast 'ember carom' - You fumble your spell.
cast 'ember carom' You must wait X seconds to cast that spell again.

^ Any way we can make that so you actually get two attempts to cast the spell if you make a silly typo like that? Not sure if this has/is being looked at, but should fumbling spells really add to the timer?

Anyways, this is a starting point. Discuss, and feel free to bring up any other annoyances that bother you.

(Also, give rangers fast healing back!!!)

#2 Shinde

Shinde

Class Terraformer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

Reagent bag reagents decaying: It's annoying.

#3 Renee

Renee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

Please consider extending the length of clan log back to its previous (long) length. One thousand entries isn't as many as it may seem and for records, it'd be great to have it extended further back.

#4 Kayde

Kayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:03 AM

Excellent thread, keep it coming!

#5 Thror

Thror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:09 AM

How about a mark of trash so we can finally enter templeton castle instead of impersonating a janitor for the 5,000th time. :)

#6 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:16 AM

Notorious-i agree on ranger's losing fast healing. Such a pain.

Throwing functions like you describe for ember carom on cool down. Try "throw boomerang" twice with no target while not in combat.

The web timer rapes. Very powerful.

With the commonplace of greater than 1 of 2 active characters at endgame levels having multiple defenses it just seems... NPC's need four defenses. Utter trash. Fighting standard first class NPC's with two defenses is a joke. A boss maybe. Filler NPC for levelling...

Ashdragon bk is annoying.

Most things seem balanced. A little tweaking to cool downs could be nice. Dropping a defense or two from standard NPC's too.

#7 Alyce

Alyce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:06 AM

Not being able to heal someone because they are not in my formation is lame. In PvP situations, yeah it makes sense. PvE, however, it does not. Morose spectre and several other mobs have been made tremendously more difficult with the whole form going "who has cure critical in a book?"

#8 Rainn

Rainn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:17 AM

calm lag, and cancelling vs. bosses.

#9 Ruthgul

Ruthgul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:21 AM

Ships permanently losing hull points when sunk, and no way to restoring them. It penalizes players who have a bad internet connection, like me. Lagging, losing link => bye ship. I stopped sailing because of this change.

#10 Neostar

Neostar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:40 AM

Calm lag is perfectly fine and required. Not entirely sure where that suggestion is coming from.

#11 Neostar

Neostar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

On a more related note I've always wondered why equipping a 2hweapon doesn't automatically remove your shield/offhand item. The need for macros has always been rather annoying.

#12 Perem

Perem

There be pirates

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2313 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

[ol]
[li]Cooldowns when the spell fails to cast.
If you fumble a spell or do not have the reagents to cast a spell, it should not activate the cooldown. It's very annoying for a spell like faerie ring which has a 6 hour cooldown.
[/li]
[li]Speaking of faerie ring, 6 hour cool down is too long. There are loads of ways of getting to the fp (wroth, hb, victoria wurth, jasper...) so I'm sure it wouldn't be too op to reduce the timer down a bit.[/li]
[li]Not being able to heal other people outside of your formation. I want to be able to heal newbies if I see them struggling in fights.[/li]
[li]Don't limit questing at for hero/archons. We've no need to explore different towns any more, why can't we do all our quests at our favourite quest master? It doesn't make sense, "hey little dude, I have loads of errands that I need doing but you should go help someone else instead of me" [/li]
[li]Speaking of questing, it's annoying that we keep getting seasonals first when we quest request. It's adding lots to my failed quest counter. It would be nice if we could quest request for normal quests, quest request seasonal for seasonals and quest request achievement for our class quests.[/li]
[li]Scale all runs that are limited to lower levels so that archons can do them. Some runs like the witch pyramid were added after we hit archon which means we've missed out on the mark and have no way of getting it again. Others like aroxa give the dragon mark which is required to wear certain equipment. It would be nice if you allowed us to enter those areas or just give us a different way of obtaining those marks.
[/li]
[/ol]

#13 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

Perem, most items requiring dragon also have been amended for astrology.

Calm lag is fine.

Cure critical and healing changes were for the best. It made things require you to be a little more prepared than putting a valk druid gnome as tank, unforming one player and everyone spams cure light on the tank.

Neostar is right. I would really enjoy not having 10macros to change weapons.

The cool down issue needs to be tweaked. Allowing cool down to only be enabled upon successful use of the skill/spell. So, being unable to see the hidden target, it walks out of the room or you do not have the item inventoried-none of these should enable the cooldown. Fumbling should count as cool down. You attempted the spell and failed. Annoying-i have dealt with it too.

Ruthgul, I gave away two boats because of the ship change. Which was uncalled for, unneeded(except making bloodlines "harder") and unannounced AFTER the staff made them not lose hull to promote using the ship system.

#14 Ruthgul

Ruthgul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

The changes to throwing and throwing weapons, since they stopped having their own system to control how often you could use them, and were included in the cooldown system. It's not the same, especially for us with bad internet ping.

Then when cooldowns were doubled (after 2 uses, trigger a twice as long cooldown), and high explosive got a 4 sec 'cast time' to prevent people from throwing it in 2 consecutive rounds, that made the mix mostly useless. It makes you lose 1 attack and up to 2 defenses the next round after throwing it, which results in a lower damage mix being a better choice because it won't lag you. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, my net is bad, but this is consistent, where my lag fluctuates.)

#15 Ruthgul

Ruthgul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

Also, the lack of hints to help us figure out many minis, marks, and runs. I've been working on 2 minis for years, and I only make progress when a player who has done it before reveals a piece of information.

#16 Alyce

Alyce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

I agree with all of this except for number 5. While I do agree we should be able to request what kind of quests we want, i.e. seasonal, regular, meta, quest completing to turn in a seasonal or a meta does not actually penalize your quest counter if I recall correctly. Please post to correct me if I am wrong.

#17 Ruthgul

Ruthgul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

Turning in an achievement phase doesn't penalize you, but turning in a seasonal does.

On the other hand, you can be in a regular or achievement phase quest, and be in a seasonal at the same time. Request another quest after you get a seasonal, without turning in the seasonal, and that will grant you a regular or achievement phase quest, if available. Then you can let the seasonal run out of time if you don't want to do it, while still working on the regular or achievement phase quest.

#18 Rainn

Rainn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

Calm lag is perfectly fine and required. Not entirely sure where that suggestion is coming from.

disagree completely. i lag plenty on my own & don't need any help.

also, lev mix, charm mix, & [whatever the other one we lost was].

#19 Kayde

Kayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

I want to thank you all for keeping this civil, even when you disagree. It helps when I want to hear what you've got to say, without having to read through a lot of negativity. You guys are amazing.

That said, while some of you very clearly know what you're referring to - if you could write out more details, it would help me better understand what exactly the issue is.

Loving this thread!

#20 Notorious

Notorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

@Rainn,There is a need for a slight lag on calm after you cast it. Without it, escaping pk, reforming after calms and escaping NPCs who are meant to re-initiate combat before the calm lag is up would be a joke.

I also completely agree with the no out of combat/form healing issue. I'm sure i brought up Morose spec. as a perfect example of how this change would negatively impact specific runs and make them 20 times harder than they needed to be. Old Fed is another example.

#21 Rainn

Rainn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

was it always there?

i do agree about calming & form members. can't really predict what's gonna happen anymore. seems like it was a pk thing that got it changed but i don't remember the details.

calm got hosed.

#22 Eljay

Eljay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

Does no-dispel mean that an item's spell effect can't be removed with dispel magic, or only that the item won't spark effects? I'd love to see a detect invis item that couldn't be dispelled - as not seeing half the people in the game or who is speaking on channels is a major annoyance. Even a QP or RU item in a special slot would address this inconvenience nicely (or add to agrippa rings or aura?).

I also suspect that new players without detect invisibility might be misled by a seemingly low amount of players online which may not reflect the reality, if they're only seeing players who are visible.

That said, is there even any good reason to have invisibility affect the ability for players to see other players to begin with? I'm not aware of any invisible mobs for which we require detect invisibility - only that we need to have invisibility as players to avoid detection by some mobs (e.g. aggro bees in Dio).

#23 Rainn

Rainn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

That said, is there even any good reason to have invisibility affect the ability for players to see other players to begin with?

yeah. azmodan. plz don't just give everyone detect. heh
i think the channels should stay split too, personally.

#24 Gezus

Gezus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

Calm has a lag for a very specific and good set of reasons. namely to prevent people from calming to cast spells that are not meant to be cast in combat. ie. calm+cd and cp, calm+evoke ash, calm+mem drain, calm+flood, calm+ams etc etc.
If calming people in your form is respecting some kind of save then I could understand removing that, however the lag exists for a good set of reasons. And fyi the lag existed for over 10 years before duende removed it arbitrarily last year for a while and I had to fight with him for a long time to get it put back.
Mixes should use sp when you throw them. HE got hosed, it just needs to not be useable 2 times per round. Cd and cp herbs used to require you to eat 2 of them to fully remove poison or plague and now only require one, this should be changed back. Boomerangs got uber hosed inadvertently by the global change to throwing items and should not be subject to it. Curing people who are in combat and not in your form is a loophole that existed for a long time, I agree that it makes a lot of content more bearable (mourdul comes to mind) but it hardly seems good to have runs that consist of 5 people spamming cure light for 45 mins while one person fights. Maybe some of these runs just need to be reworked.

At this point you may as well remove the timer for quests, all it does is waste people time for no reason. Fumbling spells/messing up syntax of spells with cool downs causing the cooldown to trigger has been around since they stared using cooldowns in this game. It would be nice to see it fixed finally.

#25 Perem

Perem

There be pirates

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2313 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

Bosses should give the boss kill 100% of the time.
Why do I need to kill the kraken or ash dragon 50 times just to get his boss kill?