Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

256 Color (Example)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kayde

Kayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

Since a lot of you seem to have questions about how 256 color will work, especially for those who use clients that do not have 256 color, I thought I would take a screen shot and let you take a look.

The colors shown in this example are not permanent and we have not decided how things will look, it is JUST an example.

Let me know if you have any questions.

http://imgur.com/fjw9vMX

#2 Sevaum

Sevaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

Look at all the pretty colors....Thanks Kayde :D

#3 Eski

Eski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:15 AM

Looks much much better, colors will look a lot better next to my 256-color terminals I work with. Time to set my client up to match my terminal color scheme hehe. Great job!

#4 Shinde

Shinde

Class Terraformer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:33 AM

Looks much much better, colors will look a lot better next to my 256-color terminals I work with. Time to set my client up to match my terminal color scheme hehe. Great job!

You client isn't running in a terminal? *tsk-tsk*

#5 Kayde

Kayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

256 color palette

http://imgur.com/B9sAEMs

#6 Shinde

Shinde

Class Terraformer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

A 256 color test script in tintin++/tmux/rxvt-unicode.
Posted Image

#7 Reznov

Reznov

Diversity Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

So it's going to be a setting to change to 256 colors meaning people can choose to stay at the standard colors there are now?

Something kinda sad about

the way that things have come to be.

Desensitized to everything.

What became of subtlety?

I'll keep digging

Til I feel something

#8 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

How does this help the game? By finally displaying the subtle nuance lacking from the vmap? By increasing the pallette available to channel spam? Why not just implement graphics?

#9 Kayde

Kayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

Reznov: yes

Scrooge: No one said it did

#10 Hezkezl

Hezkezl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

How does this help the game? By finally displaying the subtle nuance lacking from the vmap? By increasing the pallette available to channel spam? Why not just implement graphics?

Adding some new features doesn't mean that we've stopped focusing on fixing things that are broken, it just means that sometimes I need a change of pace for a few hours :) The game logic is still being tweaked and fixed.

As for what 256 colors gives us. It's more than just colors for the sake of colors (although general aesthetics is certainly part of it). It brings the potential for a bit more differentiation in the vmap - allowing us some colors that make a bit more sense. Things like 4 shades of blue for wading in water, shallow water, ocean water and deep water, or lighter versions of normal terrain color for snowy areas.

This framework also opens up the potential to implement seasons into the game, allowing the vmap to change colors seasonally, or in response to events in the world, etc...

The display of 256 colors is something players will have to opt into, so no loss if you like bright purple cities, and don't want that to change. But, what it does is give us another tool to enhance the depth of the world and increase immersion a bit.

I know 4 bit color is a technical marvel, but 8 bit color is the future of 30 years ago!

#11 Sifeth

Sifeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:40 AM

This is another of the great changes that the immortals have been making lately. Thanks a lot!

So, does this mean we will finally get to see how wonderful the foliage in Xaventry looks in the fall, as mentioned in the room descriptions on the main road?

#12 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:04 AM

Okay, seasons sound cool. But my comment was really more about the potential downsides.

#13 Voramyd

Voramyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:05 AM

Nice change. Brings a lot more to the feel of roleplay for each and every player.

Does this mean, with kayde tweaking GMCP that the staff will release a new sound package as well? The old one worked nicely and added flavor.

With the additional colors, will certain rooms be showing up as nontraditional color schemes as well? Maybe forests and shrubs in a large maze or the auqaducts and sewers of a city? Lot of potential with changes like these.

#14 Isra

Isra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:26 AM

any idea when this will be in?

when it is can we have a few more color codes in our titles, etc.?

#15 Deshane

Deshane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:57 AM

Be Patient, or else we may end up with 64 colors and 192 shades of gray.