Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

What's up with Alyria?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
122 replies to this topic

#1 Alyce

Alyce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

Hi, my name's Alyce, and I'm a Materia Magica addict.
Many of you have been wondering about the state of Alyria and Materia Magica for several months now. People are wondering things like “Who owns the game?” “Who is Alyce, and what securities does Alyce have access to?” and “If he is in charge, will the game still be fair?” Others along the lines of, “What direction is the game headed?” or “What now?”
Let’s just start at the beginning. In July of last year, Vassago and I concluded the sale of Materia Magica from Ingenii Interactive to Materia Magica LLC. I secured the loan necessary to purchase the game, then set it up in a trust to be self-perpetuating. Since day one, I have put roughly $350,000 dollars of my own money into this project. I am not on pay roll. I do not collect a dollar from any of the work I have done. I never have and never intend to. The objective is to get MM fully self-sustaining and use its profits to advance itself.
“Why would someone do this?” you might ask. I made this decision for several reasons. Alyria has become like a home to me over the last decade. In many ways, I am more comfortable in Alyria than I am IRL, which I am sure many of us can relate to. When I saw the game deteriorating slowly, it was breaking my heart. I did this to ensure the game would be around to enjoy, by others and me. The personal benefit I, Tony, derive from this is that I am the manager of the trust and overseer the intellectual property rights. Simply put, I paid for the story of the game and for the right to have input on history and where the future of that story goes. That is the closest thing to compensation I get out of this, the right to help build on the story. Our deep history seemed to be getting less utilized and more ignored as time went by and that’s simply not acceptable to me.
What securities do I have access to? I currently have access to a level 250 immortal, Omnis, and he is on Live and Dev for now. At the moment of transition from Vassago to Omnis, there was no other logical business decision except to be able to oversee the other Immortals and to be able to communicate with them on what they are doing. That is, after all, my responsibility as the manager of the trust. How and where Omnis is allowed to function has been a major topic of conversation recently. This has been amplified by some really bad decisions I made in July of last year. After writing a huge check to Vassago, I was given a level 250 imm for the first time, and did not know how to fully respect that. I then made the choice to load myself a permanent set of reagents and a Vandemaars Lightning wand. “Why would you do this, Tony?” In my immaturity, knowing I wouldn’t be getting reimbursed for the money I put down on the game, I viewed doing those things as “ok.” I have since come to the painful realization that, because of who I am, I get more heavily scrutinized than those who have done far worse things in the game. More simply put, that I need to beyond reproach. For Alyria to exist as we all dream it to, this needs to be stopped, and has been.
“With Alyce having an immortal, will the game still be fair?” I realize that the secrecy we shrouded the acquisition in paints a bad picture. Add my immature decisions to the mix, and I created a real mess. One that brings the very idea of my reliability into question. Which, far worse than making someone not like me, makes someone not like the game. I realize that, to many of you, even though I am sorry for what I have done and will not do it again, you have lost faith in me. Some of you are probably saying “We can never trust Alyce again.” I can’t blame you for the sentiment, but I do ask that you give me a chance to make this right, for all of Alyria. I didn’t spend all of this money to let my own childishness blow it all up. I want you all to want to be in Alyria, not feel like you’re living in a broken shell of what you used to know and love.
Recently, Omnis has had little to no presence on live. With Rarcyn being around to aid in general rule enforcement, and having Kayde and Esker, we were beginning to get to the point that Omnis didn’t need to be around, at least on live. With Hez quitting, and Kayde actively deciding to work less, (Kayde very well might end up leaving us too.) and with people using this state of unrest to abuse systems because they know the Immortals are too busy dealing with themselves, I may not have a choice but to use Omnis on live. In the event that it comes to that, I would like to propose a method, (to be evaluated and discussed further) that allows credible players to become part of a Council. Let’s call it the Council of Archons for now. This council would stand to be the voice to help evaluate changes to the game. Maybe we want to do this regardless of Omnis being on live or not. With an active thread on the message board reporting and prioritizing known bugs, people can vote on what needs fixed of a non-urgent nature. Then, the fixes I try to spearhead are not “Alyce got the game changed in his image” I am also open to other suggestions and methods of oversight.
Such thoughts have been considered as giving guides channel restriction powers, redoing the rules to be followed and enforceable by anyone. Enforceable by anyone meaning that anyone can log and report the wrong doing and inform the person doing the illegal thing, “hey, you’re being logged, and you’re breaking rule 3.1” In most scenarios, simply knowing the rules exist and will be enforced is enough. No interference really needs to occur unless someone outright refuses to follow the rules.
As I said before, my primary interest is in the story and history of the game. As such, “What is the vision of the game?” is just as important to me as it is to all of you. As I hope many of you have noticed, we have been re-balancing and fixing what is already in game. Behind the scenes, we are trying to get the code converted to more modern, user friendly C++. We then want to update the scripting language. This will allow us to hire programmers that can work for the game without them needing to be very specialized subject matter experts on MM itself. Once we are done addressing the core problems, implementing an equipment index, re-balancing quests and story line reintegration will occur, among other things. A lot of partially finished content exists and there are many ideas for new content that fit with the existing story line of Alyria beautifully. That content will be focused on heavily once MM evolves in the modern age. A couple other ideas for the game are that we want to make a browser based client that is not only easy to use, but integrates components like the mappers on Mush Ruthgul was kind enough to help provide to the game. I would like to work with players like Jeneya and Tannyon, as they seem to be two of biggest leaders of the sightless in our world, and see if we can better customize our client to attract more people who are blind.
This is what I have for now, feel free to ask additional questions about whatever you would like related to this subject as I am sure there are many questions I did not address. Just please be aware that today is the end of the tax season and my other job is wreaking havoc on me right now.

Thanks,
Alyce

#2 Syll

Syll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationNorthumberland, UK

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

That took a lot of guts to explain and (For what i can tell) something you didn't have to do but felt obliged to do to be more honest.

Thank you for admitting your mistakes and for breathing life back in to one of my childhood pleasures i still enjoy 11 years later.

If the council needs some 'European' input count me in.

Thanks again

Syll

#3 Romus

Romus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:43 PM

Will Esker be sticking around?

#4 Snoteater

Snoteater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

Not sure how well this question will be taken considering everything that is going on right now....

Will their still be an Easter Global? Whether it be trapping or killing the rabbits. :-)

Not sure how hard it will be coding wise to do trapping vs killing?

#5 Isra

Isra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

you apparently bought it to save for yourself, because no other serious player wants to compete w/ an imm w/ a permanent set of reagents. if you really want to save it, you need to quit, and if you can't realize that the game's already dead.

you ended it w/ your behavior. hiring the imms that attempted to regulate you isn't the bad decision you made in july. since you consider rascon credible i shudder to think who your "council" will consist of.

#6 Isis

Isis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for clearing it all and i hope the gossip stays of the game now, i have fait in you and the staff

#7 Isis

Isis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

you apparently bought it to save for yourself, because no other serious player wants to compete w/ an imm w/ a permanent set of reagents. if you really want to save it, you need to quit, and if you can't realize that the game's already dead.

you ended it w/ your behavior. hiring the imms that attempted to regulate you isn't the bad decision you made in july. since you consider rascon credible i shudder to think who your "council" will consist of.

i beg to differ, Rarcyn was a good kind Imm more fair and honest most old imms were, just cus you don't like Rascon you can't judge him as bad imm

#8 Isra

Isra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:02 PM

he was using my information inappropriately. he was also making decisions as an imm, about runs we were interrupting that his mortal was on.

you obviously don't play at a level where the conflict of interest affects you. those of us that do are deeply disturbed.

#9 Toxa

Toxa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

I think if the permanent reagents are removed that there is no issue there. And as far as the council having at least one head person from each alliance would seem fair in my opinion.

#10 Isis

Isis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:11 PM

he was using my information inappropriately. he was also making decisions as an imm, about runs we were interrupting that his mortal was on.

you obviously don't play at a level where the conflict of interest affects you. those of us that do are deeply disturbed.

like you were/are using information from a bot ? and i do play at your lvl of interest btw

#11 Minotorious

Minotorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5271 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

like you were/are using information from a bot ? and i do play at your lvl of interest btw

Bots don't have access to information that isn't publicly available to all players.

Imms do.

Are you this dense?

#12 Rascon

Rascon

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

How credible is your argument when you realize Alyce did not hire me and it was Kayde that hired me? I was not using any information inappropriately. I made no decision as an imm about runs you were interrupting that my mortal was involved with, I merely informed your party how you could continue to interrupt without being in violation of the rules, so in fact I was helping you and your friends from getting into trouble.

As far as his permanent reagents, I understand why people are upset over that however I just want to point out that in the past on more than 1 occasion people have been rewarded with a permanent astral among other things for making sizable donations to the game that were completely necessary for the game to continue to exist. I, for one, believe a $350,000 contribution can probably be considered one of those occasions, and it speaks highly to Alyce's character that he would give them up at all.

#13 Mackenzie

Mackenzie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:18 PM

I think it's our job to play, not police each other.

I don't get what's wrong with the system of having imms--who are somewhat separated from the player base aka don't have active players--to enforce rules. Wouldn't they have to go through all the logs of everyone tattling anyway??

A council of players could be iffy as well... Who decides who is credible?!

#14 Isra

Isra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

if that were the only thing he was doing that'd be 1 thing. that's just what he's admitting to presently.

we caught rascon nexusing to the (broken) suit of knives mini & walked out w/ 8 of them. the people he's putting in charge are already cheaters themselves.

alyce used his immortal to fix his clan hall after he made the room 1:1 but not gohall and walked out of it. within days betters in halls were reinstituted & hunter rift rates increased. now he doesn't have to leave the hall anymore. :)

the information from our bot was obtained legally; not by an imm that could see your IP address. i'm sorry if you don't like it.

pretty sure i've never seen you interrupt someone's run. or even attend a legitimate one yourself. sssh. grown ups are talking.

#15 Affliction

Affliction

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

Back to the point where we actually ask questions and not argue about stupid shit amongst one another.

Hezkezl left yesterday because he was upset about where the game was going and I am 100% sure Kayde is still upset about it as well. Everyone most likely caused an uproar due to the fact that you said that you cheating for yourself was okay, not because you own the game...But I can almost certainly say that anyone who would have bought the game would have cheated as well.

The question is:

If you're not going to cheat or anything like you said you have n the past, why not talk to Hezkezl and Kayde and sort everything out to be like it was weeks ago? This game was running just fine until the "cheating" scandal came about. I feel like this would be the easiest path I would take if i were in your shoes instead of hiring new people.

#16 Rascon

Rascon

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:28 PM

I did not nexus to the suit of knives mini, that is a lie. It is not a (broken) mini at all, i did not even know it was possible to nexus in there to be honest.. I'll tell you how to get in, which is the same way you get in to at least 1 other area ingame, you use control winds and push the airship inconvenience to the area, you go into the airship and when it gets over the area you broom/carpet/rockinghorse/pogo stick down... This is not IMM information this is information that is only gleened from trial and Error, and I was able to figure it out from a prior conversation with minotorious regarding a different area with the same method...

Alyce using his immortal to fix something that he broke on his mortal is that big of a deal? really? Just to be clear him fixing something that is broken is what we are calling him a cheater for?

The information from your bot was obtained legally, which just so happens to be the exact same bot that I got my information about verah/acelin weeks before ever being an immortal.

Basically all you are doing is trying to stir a sense of unrest and unease among the player-base just to serve your own sense of self-importance.

#17 Kayde

Kayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

I appreciate your honesty, Alyce. It takes integrity to step back, reevaluate a position, and admit when you have made a mistake. Thank you for that. If this is how things are going to go moving forward, then I am happy to stay with MM in my current role, and see things through. I just want to see MM succeed. If all of our imms can be, as you said, "beyond reproach", I see a bright future for MM.
  • Kurdock likes this

#18 Isra

Isra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

kayde told us you nexused to a broken mob. it's since been fixed. nice try.

no. him transferring himself into his hall room really isn't that big a deal. amending the entire game around it after kinda is.

it's a ton of shady things that we shouldn't have to guess or wonder about. active players shouldn't have imms.

#19 Rascon

Rascon

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

Well I just told you how it was done, she was mistaken, I never nexus'd to the mob and I dont even think it was found to be possible until after the fact when her and minotorious were in the area the next day.. I (believe, dont know) the first time the mob was EVER nexus'd to in there was that day. I also didn't learn about nexus'ing to people in there until the day you guys nexus'd to me when I learned that you can enter through a nexus in the area so long as you were mounted, otherwise it would push you right back to the place where you started.. Again you want to paint this as a lie, but I'll point you back to the fact that I just explained in detail HOW someone (myself, nodiatias, minotorious?, others?)does infact get into the area without a nexus.

#20 Rascon

Rascon

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

Not sure what you mean by amending the entire game around it???

#21 Kayde

Kayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

I was not using any information inappropriately. I made no decision as an imm about runs you were interrupting that my mortal was involved with, I merely informed your party how you could continue to interrupt without being in violation of the rules, so in fact I was helping you and your friends from getting into trouble.

I completely disagree with this. I won't argue about it, but no immortal should be involved in any situation that their mortal is aware of or involved in, period. Those are staff rules.

#22 Kayde

Kayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:49 PM

kayde told us you nexused to a broken mob.

I did not say this.

#23 Kayde

Kayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

This is not IMM information this is information that is only gleened from trial and Error

This is also not true, Alyce has admitted to using Omnis to figure out how this was done.

#24 Shinde

Shinde

Class Terraformer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

I've known about being able to fly down off the airship for a while. For that matter, if you're patient (and don't mind padding your death count), you can just walk down too, the "slip and die" script doesn't always fire off (I just happened to test with a carpet and noted it worked, years back at this point). I assumed it was an alternative to a lucky blink: even with my relative inactivity, I blink/teleport into various "limited access" v-map areas fairly regularly.

When the airship was new Kayuki and I visited all sorts of those area before the "slip and die" was added, and a few after which is how I knew the script wasn't 100%.

#25 Isra

Isra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

you gave away the game cheater. but it was funny.

i didn't want betters in my clan hall. i wanted to attack him when he left his, but now he doesn't have to.

remember that month when hunters only attacked their intended target? could that possibly have had anything to do w/ ppl attacking alyce's forms w/ masters?

the reason we're talking about his astral key is because he cast silence on adramalech 7x in clan pk. no one does that. we can't pretend to compete w/ someone who has anything they want at their fingertips.