Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

What's up with Alyria?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
122 replies to this topic

#26 Thaen

Thaen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

I'd personally say using an immortal for your own personal gains is an example of things that shouldn't ever be done. Normal people can separate personal and business which is something you've proven you cannot.

I understand that he made a mistake during the start of the drama but it's not as if he made his hall impossible to escape. He could have easily e-mailed admin or prayed and asked for assistance instead of taking it on himself to do it.

Nobody should have been given astral keys for donating immense amounts of money. Period. Just because a notorious scam artist such as Vass did it doesn't mean it's right. The whole point behind astrals is that it's a limited commodity which balances out the skills that require them.

The idea about a council of players is good in theory - like communism, but it wont ever work in practice. As Rarcyn proved many times, his own personal agenda outweighs his drive as part of the staff.

Virtually every guide uses the system to exploit benefits, namely the lack of a who timer. Even if it was a player elected system, personal player interests outweigh their duty in most cases. I wouldn't trust any current guide (except maybe DB) to not pursue their own personal retribution and vendettas.

As the owner you shouldn't need a 250, Alyce. As soon as you appointed Kayde as an admin you should have never logged onto Omnis unless it was absolutely required. All information you may need can be given through the actual immortal staff.

And finally considering cheating: It's not impossible to hard code the game to prevent most forms of cheating. Moving the game away from requiring constant enforcer attention is probably a smarter option, that way the immortal staff can work on content instead of pulling weeds.

#27 Kayde

Kayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

i didn't want betters in my clan hall. i wanted to attack him when he left his, but now he doesn't have to.

remember that month when hunters only attacked their intended target? could that possibly have had anything to do w/ ppl attacking alyce's forms w/ masters?

the reason we're talking about his astral key is because he cast silence on adramalech 7x in clan pk. no one does that. we can't pretend to compete w/ someone who has anything they want at their fingertips.

You cannot get betters in your clanhall.

Hunters were changed because they were attacking low levels.

As long as I'm around, I've told you, you don't have to worry about unfair advantage. I am around until you hear from me otherwise.

#28 Isra

Isra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

I was not using any information inappropriately. I made no decision as an imm about runs you were interrupting that my mortal was involved with, I merely informed your party how you could continue to interrupt without being in violation of the rules, so in fact I was helping you and your friends from getting into trouble.

I completely disagree with this. I won't argue about it, but no immortal should be involved in any situation that their mortal is aware of or involved in, period. Those are staff rules.

we took the ankylosaurus from the mass run. rarcyn told us we needed to kill or return it to the form w/in 2 hrs. toothgnasher thought it should be 6, per the rules.

#29 Rascon

Rascon

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

Like I said before, I got my information from Minotorious's conversation with someone else, and while it wasn't complete details on how it was done, I did in fact figure out the method through trial and error on the crerakoth area. So while you may think alyce had something to do with this, the FACT is Alyce learned how to get into the shlarksh area from ME. But since this really is not constructive and we aren't arguing about it any longer I suppose enough has been said on this subject.

#30 Rascon

Rascon

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

The better in clan halls thing speaks highly of why no one can take you or your claims seriously.. I mean it never happened, we all know it never happened, you have no proof that it ever happened, yet you will still use that as a focus of your argument. You are doing nothing more than trying to spread fear and discontent. Period.

#31 Rascon

Rascon

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

I was interpreting general combat and PK rules number 1 which in the spirit of the rules prevents blocking for 2 hours not 6. Furthermore there is not a single mention of any 6 hour timeframe in the rules pertaining to anything whatsoever.

#32 Kayde

Kayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:13 PM

I was interpreting general combat and PK rules number 1 which in the spirit of the rules prevents blocking for 2 hours not 6. Furthermore there is not a single mention of any 6 hour timeframe in the rules pertaining to anything whatsoever.

Regardless, you shouldn't have been doing anything since your mortal was a part of the situation, so your point is irrelevant.

#33 Minotorious

Minotorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5271 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

1. Do not block areas for an excessive amount of time to prevent someone
else from entering a zone.
This includes, but is not limited to:
* Repeatedly destroying keys so others cannot obtain them
* Sitting in a private or solitary room, or leaving an NPC behind in such
a room, to block others from passing for an extended period of time (longer
than two hours)

Hitching an npc and leaving is not actively doing anything to block an area for an excessive amount of time, as no continued action is bieng done to block entrance to a zone.

Additionally, there is supposed to be a system in place whereby all npcs return to their home zones after some period of time.

Is this not working? If not, that's a game problem, not a player problem, and simply needs to be addressed in content design.

#34 Rascon

Rascon

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

Except the point isn't irrelevant because there was no "situation". No one broke the rules, no one was punished. A potential problem for a player was avoided because the only immortal online explained to him how he could CONTINUE TO DO what he was doing and fall within the bounds of what the rules allow.

#35 Kayde

Kayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:26 PM

Except the point isn't irrelevant because there was no "situation". No one broke the rules, no one was punished. A potential problem for a player was avoided because the only immortal online explained to him how he could CONTINUE TO DO what he was doing and fall within the bounds of what the rules allow.

It broke the rules when you had your immortal and your mortal logged on at the same time (that privilege for you had been revoked), and it broke the rules when you spoke to someone, who was involved in a situation, that your mortal was involved in. I'm sorry you can't seem to see that, but it's really not my issue any longer, it's been dealt with.

#36 Isra

Isra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

i'm saying the handful of decent players we had left are smart enough to realize when they're facing an unwinnable situation. by next week there probably won't be a form to oppose alyce's, which is probably what he wants anyway.

kayde's the only trustworthy one still involved in the thing, but given alyce's nature & history no one really believes he's going to comply.

#37 Kayde

Kayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Also, we don't approach players who haven't done anything wrong. You wait until the time limit has expired, and then some, and let them handle it themselves.

#38 Gnomar

Gnomar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

:whistle:

#39 Rascon

Rascon

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

Minotorious I dont think anyone is ACTUALLY asserting the fact that he wasnt actively trying to block us from entering an area. He knows, we know, you know that the only reason he went in there was to mount that NPC take it out of the zone and block anyone else from entering the next area. While I agree this specific instance is in fact a game problem that needs to be addressed, at the time it hadn't been, and he was purposefully blocking a zone.

Also a mountable NPC will not leave its area if it is currently being ridden. So in effect he could mount it once every 5 minutes and block someone from entering the zone until as far as next reboot.

#40 Sedgewick

Sedgewick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

I like pudding.

#41 Isra

Isra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

pm me w/ some info gnome. we all miss you, and envy your foresight.
<3

#42 Minotorious

Minotorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5271 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

Minotorious I dont think anyone is ACTUALLY asserting the fact that he wasnt actively trying to block us from entering an area. He knows, we know, you know that the only reason he went in there was to mount that NPC take it out of the zone and block anyone else from entering the next area. While I agree this specific instance is in fact a game problem that needs to be addressed, at the time it hadn't been, and he was purposefully blocking a zone.

Also a mountable NPC will not leave its area if it is currently being ridden. So in effect he could mount it once every 5 minutes and block someone from entering the zone until as far as next reboot.

In effect, in practice however, he did not.

#43 Gnomar

Gnomar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

It's not difficult to predict that giving that type of person that kind of power isn't going to yield positive results(for anyone but them, that is).

Hez quit, huh? That's a shame.

#44 Toothgnasher

Toothgnasher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

For the sake of clarity on the issue of "a full set of reagent keys"...

Alyce loaded an astral-reagent key for himself. This means that every time he cast a spell requiring an astral, he did not require an astral. A spell such as silence or requiem would now require only one real astral instead of two. As a result, he was much more aggressive against me and others in player killing and competing on runs. Even if I only go back to the start of this year, I would guess he has silenced me 50 times, the vast majority being in clan pk or npk. I could only speculate on how many masters and runs were made more smooth and fast as a result of half-price requiem, or how often other players were on the receiving end of this advantage.

#45 Toothgnasher

Toothgnasher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

What happened at Alyce's hall was this: In an attempt to deny outsiders entry to his hall, he made the entry room lvl 1 restricted; however, before he did so he forgot to move his hall's go-hall spot into that room. In effect, he made it impossible for him to ever walk out of his hall. Rather than think for 5 seconds about what had happened or take the time to read the help file on building, he jumped on his immortal and transferred his mortal into the "orphaned" room to fix it. In fact, the "orphaned" room was still the spawn room, and all he had to do was die in the hall to get access to it. Likely there were other ways to get access through the building feature that I haven't looked into.

How do I know about this? I was standing in the room when a wiz-invis immortal appeared and transferred him into the North. I reported the incident and eventually the truth came out that he had done it himself. This is ONE incident that someone witnessed. What if I had not been standing there? How many other times did he do the same thing, but no one was around to call him on it?

#46 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

Hey all,

I'm still around - I had been keeping a low profile/not logging in for various reasons but wanted to tell you that I have, and always have, wanted the game to survive past me. But, I was burned out - 18 years is a lot on one person. I saw a chance with this opportunity and decided to do it.

Regarding the current situation, which I have some third-party knowledge of - there were certain rules I had in place to prevent the appearance/possibility of cheating, primarily because of human nature. I think that if you give people the opportunity, no matter how principled they are, that it is way too tempting to bend the rules. This is why they tell dieters not to have chocolate cakes sitting around in their homes "for guests" - it's too tempting. Doesn't mean they are inherently bad people, just means that they are human.

This is also why I didn't have a mortal. (That, plus every time I made one in the past, I would see a dozen things I wanted to fix or improve and would get distracted/bogged down in that ;)

So I understand the concern over this and I know that something is being done to address it.

While I am not officially "in charge" anymore, this place continues to be a huge part of me and I want it to succeed. We've had drama in the past, we'll have it again, and as difficult and horrible it is to live through/be involved with, time (and action) will heal it.

#47 Isis

Isis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:38 PM

what i'm curious about is HOW you cry babies always knew where alyce was way before he actually was on that run/place and showed up there the sec his form entered the area

#48 Spunkie

Spunkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

Alyce - I would like to personally thank you for saving the game. $350,000 is a large investment. In most of the dealings I've had with you, privately, been good. With that being said.

Rascon - You and I see eye to eye on a lot of things, we are just both on the opposite side of the specter. The first thing you did when your immortal went live was message me saying that I better stop multiplaying or we'll have issues. I only had been transferring a heavy book cover from player to player. Then next event with the anklousaurus, what you did there was something else. Not only did you tell me that I had 2 hours to dispatch of it, but you also said that my time had started and I had only 50 minutes left with it, so you didn't even give me the entire 2 hours. Back to Alyce.

Alyce - I said I trust you, however, the treatment that I got as your potential clients, the Joe Everyday player, from an immortal that you appointed does leave a bitter taste in my mouth. I the player who opposes you often on your runs, what am I suppose to do now?

As for me, I'm willing to give Alyce a chance, however, I feel Alyce needs to evaluate his role here and figure out if he wants to be a player or an immortal. If Alyce chooses to be both, there is not way the game will develop, let alone survive. Whether I remain playing or put the boots up again, I want to wish Alyce the best of luck with his toy, and once again thank him for saving the game for us.

#49 Minotorious

Minotorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5271 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:48 PM

what i'm curious about is HOW you cry babies always knew where alyce was way before he actually was on that run/place and showed up there the sec his form entered the area

It's very easy to figure out who's going on a big form run and which run they're going on, very quickly.

#50 Gnomar

Gnomar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

I think that if you give people the opportunity, no matter how principled they are, that it is way too tempting to bend the rules. This is why they tell dieters not to have chocolate cakes sitting around in their homes "for guests" - it's too tempting. Doesn't mean they are inherently bad people, just means that they are human.

With all due respect, speak for yourself. Some of us do genuinely care more about fair competition and the integrity of the rules than "shinies for me".