Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

What's up with Alyria?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
122 replies to this topic

#101 Perem

Perem

There be pirates

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2311 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:45 AM

So has Alyce given the astral key and the wand back so she doesn't have them any more? If Alyce was to return to the state he was in before any wrong doings then everything would be all right.

I don't think somebody should be able to have a player and immortal at the same time though as it always goes wrong, see: Bran, Rarcyn, who ever Karo was...

#102 Reyon

Reyon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

I'm a random noob so maybe I should just shut up, but ... you guys do realize that this weird bickering and laundry airing between admins and former admins and players is more damaging to this game than pretty much anything else, right?

#103 Syll

Syll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationNorthumberland, UK

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:12 AM

I'm a random noob so maybe I should just shut up, but ... you guys do realize that this weird bickering and laundry airing between admins and former admins and players is more damaging to this game than pretty much anything else, right?

I agree with you but for the first time in years i feel like i have a better understanding of the game and the people behind it. When i first started playing the thought of approaching an imm was out of the question, always went through an active guide. Since my return if i've ever prayed there's never any active guides and 9 times out of 10 its been Kayde and Esker assisting me which says a lot for the guides hiding in social/alts all the time. Having approachable immortals is a good thing but having more active guides in general would be more beneficial (I'm not speaking about all guides as Ruthgul and Cyrion have helped me often)

The thing i agree with is that the day you become an immortal you retire from live and have a character on the dev server, surely then you could do/test whatever you wanted? If that's still not enough for the player than being an immortal is not for them. If Alyce gives up his immortal as he has support from Kayde etc then this should never happen again....right?

#104 Kayde

Kayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

well arcadin, i'm glad i could be of assistance.

think they figured 300 million gold between the 2 of them. sinbad is still deleted pending a punishment phase, potentially. if he gets punished, why doesn't alyce?

... really? Can you not see what's happening to him? To the hundreds of thousands of dollars he just spent? To the game? Alyce is being punished more than any of you ever have.

#105 Isis

Isis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

think they figured 300 million gold between the 2 of them. sinbad is still deleted pending a punishment phase, potentially. if he gets punished, why doesn't alyce?

Alyce is punished by the staff and aside from that punishment he's being punished by a huge part from the player base who claimed being his friend and now suddenly drop him , how much more do you wanne kick down the one person who had the guts to save MM ?

#106 Loman

Loman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

... really? Can you not see what's happening to him? To the hundreds of thousands of dollars he just spent? To the game? Alyce is being punished more than any of you ever have.

Please, I was nochanneled for like 3 days, his punishment is no where near as harsh or cruel as mine.

#107 Kayde

Kayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

Please, I was nochanneled for like 3 days, his punishment is no where near as harsh or cruel as mine.

Fair enough :/ *nochannels Loman for another week*

#108 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Over half of this thread boils down as sobs about non-related punishments in comparison to what Alyce did for some random player's immediate gain...

Perhaps closing this thread is a good idea.

What Alyce did was open the floodgates for insane requests and demands. The staff now has a doubled work load and there will be forever more rants about certain players have an advantage. So much a scale that I reckon to be worse than yester decades cries of duende giving various players items, marks and even other larger rewards.

It is only being made worse with every sniffle here posted as a jab or jive joke.

Everyone has had their chance for a shot at Alyce in a public manner. He will suffer long and arduously for his actions. If he can endure the now martyr-esq lifestyle his mortal has come to live then, things may right themselves yet. Either way, if he chooses to play on beta while being retired on live and functioning as an immortal or to remain active and have others perform more staff oriented tasks that is his choice.

He had his fun, it lasted for a decently spread time frame just based upon the dates vaguely discussed herein. Sure, he will get favoritism in his punishments due to whom he is. Get over it, he payed for it.

Now, as a whole this realm has an opportunity to grow or die. The actions of everyone will be the deciding factor here. Placing publicized rants about reasons to not play on the game's own web forum is an opportunity to help the game die. Any passerby can read and share these posts.

We should all be supporting Alyce and the Staff(what ever and who ever is left of it) to better the game.

In closing; responding to the comment very few guides are doing their duties. Yes, the guides should all be purged and have the staff accept applications as to why players should either be a) retained or B) given a probational run as a first time guide.

Disclaimer: No, I do not wish to be a guide. Though, I have found very few useful guides. Most of the time I am waiting on immortals. Cyrion does well. I give him a recommendation for reacceptance. Ruthgul should stay as well.

#109 Ledatic

Ledatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:47 PM

Blah! Blah to this whole stupid situation. This whole situation should have never even surfaced. I've been trying to figure out if there was a cause for all of this, and there really isn't one. The staff for one, should have just kept this quiet and the game wouldn't be torn in half right now. The immortals in question here, seems no one really knows the whole damn story. Pieces are missing throughout all of these accusations and rumors, and things are not adding up.

Why is Tony loading himself with a few items just now being taken care of? How did this come to light? From the sounds of it these items were not recently loaded, so why now? What caused this to happen, and why was the dirty laundry aired? Why did anything that Tony has done with his imm ever being brought up? I've played alongside tony for the last few months a lot, and there are absolutely zero signs that he has shown he owns the game, has an immortal on live, or even loaded himself with items. I've done countless runs and minis with him and not once did he cheat, advance, or get info on or about a specific thing. Hell half the time he doesn't even really lead runs anymore. His current situation with the game should have never been brought up. Period.

Kayde, I love you like a mom, but seriously, not cool on your part. So you freeze rascon for something that you yourself did hypocritically by publicizing the mortal of an immortal.(active or retired) That should have never happened, the punishment should have been behind closed doors like they always have been, and the details kept quiet. Is there an underlying factor here that I'm missing as to why and how all of this transpired? I surely can't be the only one asking these questions. This whole thing could have been prevented by simply following the procedures that were put in place decades ago. You've done more harm than good by bringing this situation to light with the player base, and for what really? At this point I think we deserve to know. Tony you've already saved face, Kayde it's your turn. You've already gone too far, saying something now wont add to the harm that's already been dealt.

Being close friends with all parties involved in this, I wanted to try and stay out of it completely, but I couldn't sit here and watch this nonsense bickering going on between everyone. I've said what I needed to say. This was mainly targeted at Tony and Kayde.

#110 Kayde

Kayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

For some reason, I thought I had addressed all of this but I had not, it's going to take some time to get the dates and details and make it all clear but I will respond with it all once I can put it all together in a timeline for you.

#111 Krim

Krim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1824 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

So has my lvl 250 immortal been authorized yet? :whistle:

#112 Kayde

Kayde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:04 PM

Sorry guys, I guess I can't explain, I was just fired. I wish you all the best.

#113 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

Well, glad I did not donate anymore than what I did recently. Always wanted to live and see the end of days in the realm of Alyria. Never thought it would be like this. Oh Duende... you were supposed to destroy it. =<

Was fun everyone. Anyone living in California be sure to hit me up. Let us go grab some beers if you live near northern county San Diego. I will check back for a few days to see if any local players want to hang before this place tanks.

Kayde, sad to see you go. Was so excited when you and Hezkezl showed up again. Thought maybe things would finally get fixed.

Vassago, you made a wonderful story. All of them must end at some time. Shame I never got to see your vizra/vandemaar story though.

Hezkezl, sad you left. Best luck in all your endeavors.

Duende, all jokes aside you did a hell of a job. Even when you and I never saw eye to eye. Will never forget you taking time to play with me and fix broken things on the spot.

Alyce, you sure spent a lot of money to own something that will become worthless. We used to be friends. Have not seen you in a while. Best of luck. You will need it.

Ohya, this was a good way to quickly end things. The fact is, both parties are likely in the wrong and no one wants to find a middle ground to compromise on. It is pretty clear that many things were hidden and otherwise wrapped in subdefugue.

Well, next batter: Dragonburber. Let us see what this rule breaker does. He is likely the next one up for high level immortal on live.

#114 Snoteater

Snoteater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

I will be staying here through whatever happens... I will work with whoever is leading this game, whoever are the imms, who ever is still playing.....

#115 Kyasha

Kyasha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

Ok, having never posted on the boards before I hope I am doing this correctly.
I have refrained from making any comments to this point because I have taken a wait and see attitude. Now, the latest actions have clearly let me know the direction that this game is heading and prompted me to chime in with my own thoughts. I have played the game for 8 years and have always enjoyed the atmosphere. It has been the only mud I have played on because I just couldn't get into any others and I loved the story line on MM. The game had been losing much of the allure the last few years, the bickering and bugs that happened at the end of duendes era certainly didn't help. When Escar, Kayde and Hez came aboard Materia had a breath of life still in it. MM had a second chance to move forward and I was so optimistic in the beginning. It was wonderful to have approachable staff that also committed to improving the game by fixing bugs and creating new content. The game seemed like it was heading in a positive direction for the future.
Now though, the decision to fire Kayde, and to cause Hez to quit voluntarily, tells me that the owner does not have the best interest of the game in mind. I have never had any issues with alyce in game so my discontent is not based off of any personal interactions. This is purely based off of what I have seen recently.

Right from the beginning, things have been handled poorly. First, hiding the identity of the new owner WILL plant questions and doubt in the minds of players. Why hide? Why not take a stand of honesty. Tell the player base who you are and send the message that you should be given the opportunity to prove yourself and players shouldn't judge based off of actions that were committed as a player. I am not saying that the entire business transaction needed to be publicized as that isn't professional. Confidentiality during all that is understandable. However, once the transaction was complete and the torch had been passed down sort of speak, and then we should have had a message discussing where we go from here.

Next, we learn that some imms were cheating and using their immortal chars to assist friends and their chars with different things in games. The degree and severity differed but cheating is never acceptable. Months ago, it was a couple imms who had their imm status revoked, which was absolutely the correct thing to do. More recently, new immortals were abusing powers and removed, again the correct thing to do. Then we find out that the owner is also guilty of abusing immortal privileges for personal gain. That sets quite a precedent. If the owner can cheat then why were other imms punished. This severely harms the integrity of the game and leaves everyone questioning things that are done.
This is why having a mortal while being an administrator should not happen. Is it possible for a person to be able to have both and succeed, sure it is, however, that quality is rare and the temptation to utilize resources for gain is just too great. If Alyce wanted to continue playing the game, then he could have simply continued playing his mortal char and left the running of the game to those who had been hired to maintain it. There is nothing that says just because he purchased it that he had to have an immortal char. It is a fictitious person after all and wasn't necessary to own the game. Again, this poor judgment call has caused more dissention and deterioration to the game's integrity and the over all experience for the player base.
Further illustrating the point of poor management was to basically push Hez into leaving and firing Kayde. This probably saddens me most of all. I had the utmost respect for Hez and Kayde and how they were trying to keep the game alive despite obvious difficulties in trying to revive it. I read all the posts in this thread and particularly Alyce's initial post which said he apologized for wrong doing but then we learn that Kayde has been fired. For what reason was she fired? It is harmful and definitely not in the game’s best interest, to remove those who would keep this game going and who had the skills and the desire to do so. The fact is, Muds don’t have the following that they once did and finding coders is challenging. Never mind the fact of finding a good coder who will be dedicated to the work and put the effort into bug testing and also be imaginative and bring new content to the game.

I do not believe that alyce set out with the intent to kill M M. It would certainly not have been in his best interest to allow that to happen. However, when you get drunk on power and basically refuse to listen to reason, appearing as a dictator who will take what they want and do what they want despite the effect it has on others, this is the end result. Players are unhappy, those who want the game to flourish are removed or leave, and no one plays. It will thus become a large wasted investment because the only ones on will be friends of the owner. If you don't allow those with differing ideas and opinion to take a part in the growth of the game, then it will stagnate and die. You should constantly be looking at ways to improve the game and making it better and that means several people come together and make decisions, not just one.
In closing I want to again express my sadness at the way MM has crumbled and deteriorated so rapidly, when we had hope not so long ago. I have enjoyed my time playing here for the past 8 years but I will not support a tyrant-like attitude and the ousting of Kayde and Hez who strived to make this game better for everyone by a no tolerance policy on cheating and enforcing those rules rigidly. I was hopeful for the future, I then had doubts, and now am sure that I don't want to be a member of this community any longer. I loved the friends I made and the fun times I had but have no respect for anyone who won't enforce integrity when it comes to running this game. Maybe in a long time, if the game is still up, I may check in and see if there has been a change in leadership or if maturity has taken place which puts things on the right track, but I don't foresee that happening. I wish the best of luck to those who stay and I am sad to say goodbye.

#116 Perrin

Perrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

Yikes. To Hell in a handbasket. MM Crisis Mode: Activate.

When you have immortals as great as Kayde, Esker, and Hez, you appease when you can, not push them out. They were bringing people back, and now it looks like an exodus is coming.

I've played this game off and on for 15 years, and while it's been dying for some time, I would hate to see it finally dead. I might not be the most active fellow around, and I might not get along with everyone, but this game (for better or for worse) has been pretty important to me, and I don't want it killed.

Please, Tony, do what you can to bring back the staff that started turning this sinking ship around before it's sunk for good.

#117 Csia

Csia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

I'm just imagining Alyce, wandering around an empty Alyria. All stats maxed, every piece of gear, all minis solved.

"Hey Guys, I finally won! I'm the best!"

"guys?"

"...guys?"

Congrats, you won.

#118 Toothgnasher

Toothgnasher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:12 PM

Alyce: Credit for admitting publicly that you made mistakes. That's more than prior admin did in many cases. I hope you have a great vision for the game going forward and that it thrives. I just don't see it.

Everyone else: I spent alot of time here with many of you. I didn't do it as well as I wanted, but I tried to not talk trash or say mean things to people. I apologize to everyone I ever said anything mean to. I can't think of anything else to say right now.

#119 Reznov

Reznov

Diversity Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

I think we're losing sight of what this about. For most of us, this game has been a huge part of our lives and I believe this is why we're so passionate about this subject. Alyce isn't the first immortal to take a bite of the forbidden fruit and most likely, won't be the last. It takes a lot to admit his errors and I think resorting to name calling isn't going to help anyone get Materia Magica back to gaming as usual.

Something kinda sad about

the way that things have come to be.

Desensitized to everything.

What became of subtlety?

I'll keep digging

Til I feel something

#120 Dreven

Dreven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:26 PM

Since last July a lot of changes have been made and our player base has grown. All good things and all from what I can see set in motion by Alyce taking over. Other then that I don't think it has really affected me at all. I will keep playing MM because its fun to me the same way it was fun to me before I knew Alyce owned it. It seems to me its being blown way out of proportion and made out to be a lot of things its not. Same old MM and everything alyce has done has been done by others in the recent past just no one knew so no one cared. One final thought. I wonder if IRL Floyd can hardly be understood and rambles on endlessly saying almost nothing at all the way he does here? I think he is giving a final farewell speech? His third of the year? Anyway I digress...

#121 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:09 AM

You know the end times are nigh when Floyd is making reasonable and grammatically-correct comments.

#122 Kyasha

Kyasha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:22 AM

The thing to keep in mind is that just because cheating has been done in the past by other adminastrators, it doesn't mean it should be allowed to continue. the only way things can change is if someone is willing to say tthat cheating of any form, committed by anyone, won't be permitted.
And as for the changes that have taken place in recent times, thank Kayde, Hez and Escar for all that has been done. That is why the loss of Kayde and Hez is so profoundly felt by the playing community.

#123 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:01 AM

Unfortunately things are not always what they seem. I'm locking this thread for tonight, I think everything that could be said, has been said at this point. There will likely be more of an announcement tomorrow given the state of everything, but there's some cleanup work to be done first.