Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Urgent news

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

#1 Omnis

Omnis

• Admins
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

Guys, Something really terrible is happening to Alyria right now. I know most of you don't want to believe this, I know that I don't. But we find ourselves under the most insidious form of attack to befall our land yet. Our beloved leaders, Kayde and Hezkezl have been trying to secretly take over the game from the inside for some time now. Over time they have changed root passwords on me, disabled my access to key chunks of information, destroyed logs, logged every single thing every single one of you has done needlessly, and now it has evolved to them logging onto the server and deleting chunks of information. Worse, they have resulted to trying to extort Materia Magica LLC, which, I don't know if you guys all realize or not, is the only place that houses and supports materiamagica currently. the only person getting paid out of that fund is Kayde and the two of them are now trying to destroy the world that they so ostentatiously announced they were trying to save. Vassago is once again involved with things, because, let's be real, who can fix this better than the man himself. I was going to wait a week to reveal this information in a tactful way, but it seems that Kayde and her husband are currently spreading lies, and getting players to take down their websites, to post more of their propaganda. Be informed, players. Ask questions. Alyria will live on.

#2 Eliann

Eliann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:38 PM

I am glad to hear Vassago is involved and helping you to resolve this, hope to hear updates from you both soon with hopefully good news! Secure the game first and foremost then make your plans about how to move forward to keep MM fun, fair and alive!

#3 Isis

Isis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:45 PM

You mean they can still read all tells ? all ct's ft's etc ?

#4 Romus

Romus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:46 PM

is this some sort of pro wrestling storyline

#5 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:16 AM

Unfortunately no. I'm just flabbergasted at this point. Currently I am trying to undo the damage caused by all of the on-disk backups being deleted, including the game binaries. We'll see who's better, I guess.

#6 Sedgewick

Sedgewick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:20 AM

Omnis,

If you think that we are trying to destroy MM, or have in any way tried to seize control of a game you own (how is that even possible?) you are gravely mistaken.

When the administration changed 8 months ago, we did change all of the passwords on the server - because that's what security minded admins do. There were a host of people who had those passwords who were no longer associated with the game. This is reasonable. Not doing this would be negligent.

Kayde did restrict your access on live by retiring Omnis, in an effort to ensure there was not a conflict of interest in the middle of an embroiled situation. It was a choice that was made to move culpability for any future transgressions from you, to Kayde, because if you are retired, no one could accuse you of anything, and you remain safe.

I was brought on this project with the understanding that MM was just a "test project", that you were going to show that you could run a business and keep it profitable, and eventually you were going to get millions of dollars to invest into a full-fledged game studio. I even spent hours writing out organizational charts and supplying you with costs for what this studio would need.

When I saw that our visions of how a game should be developed and administered differed in a fundamental way, I recused myself from development. I had 8 months of code that I had written, completely unpaid, and little to no indication that this elusive game studio would be created. MM was making good profits, though.

It was at this time that I was reading the US Fair Labor Standards Act, and realized that the model of employing "volunteers" to work on a private for-profit business was not legal. Kayde was being paid a salary, and treated as exempt, even though her salary didn't allow her to be classified that way, and so she should be owed overtime. I should have been paid for my development time as an employee, as well.

So I found myself in the situation where I either needed to be classified as an employee and given back-pay, or I could be an independent developer who licensed my code back to MM.

I sent you an email detailing this, and said that the easiest thing to do would probably be licensing the code from me for an amount that was roughly equal to what I would be paid had I been making minimum wage for the time I was working for the game. I thought this would be simpler, and I thought that valuing my time at the minimum wage would show good faith. As filing a claim with the Department of Labor seemed like it would be a worse situation, since they might levy fines, or in the worst, but unlikely case, criminal charges (it says as much on the DoL's website), I suggested that licensing the code would be better for everyone.

I rolled the code back to the way it was before I made any changes to the game, and awaited your response to my emails, which never came. There was no sabotage - the "chunks of information" that were "deleted" were the months of code that I had written, all by myself.

You are trying to air all of this dirty laundry in public, but you never even bothered to contact me to even discuss this. All of my emails about this remain unanswered. You call it "extortion" here, but I just want some compensation from a profitable business that is making money off of my work, and appears to be non-compliant with the labor laws of the country it is based in. I feel like I have been taken advantage of, and strung along with big promises of the future, while I work for free to put money in your pocket.

vass:

The game binaries are on the dev server in the binaries directory of the stage directory. I generated a new set with the code that does not contain my copyrighted work.

-HeZ

#7 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:28 AM

Hez: I'm fully aware where the binaries are from last year before I sold the game. Currently if the game crashes, it will not come back up, which I am guessing you knew since you or Kayde deleted the active game binary. I also expect you know that it's unlikely the game would function at all if it came back up with the current data, since there is likely not functionality to support whatever changes that have been implemented over the past 8 months.

Regardless of the legalities of your claims - I am not a lawyer, nor do I pretend to be one - I am interested in preserving Materia Magica without doing a full revert from a full year ago that would likely destroy it.

I honestly cannot believe you both would stoop this low.

#8 Sedgewick

Sedgewick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:35 AM

Well, if I hadn't been kicked off of the server in the middle of fixing up the data so that it was compatible with the old binaries, everything would work perfectly fine with the current data. I unfortunately did not get to complete that work. Nor did anyone contact me to ask how to fix it.

The only files that should be affected are the vmap terrain data file (because they contain 256 color data) and possibly the commands data file. Regardless, it should literally be less than 30 minutes of work to fix them up.

#9 Toothgnasher

Toothgnasher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:38 AM

So you are pressuring hez to (illegally) give away his work for free, Vassago? Since you care so much about Alyria, and received so much money for it, why don't you pay Hez for his work and let us move on?

#10 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:39 AM

I don't know why anyone would believe anything you say at this point. Thanks for wasting my time with this nonsense.

#11 Thaen

Thaen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:43 AM

I don't know why anyone would believe anything you say at this point. Thanks for wasting my time with this nonsense.

I think Hez is much more credible than you. Somebody that sells a game on the down low to a person with personal interests that feels like it's alright if he cheats.

You're just a scam artist trying to save face. You understood that you were breaking laws for years when you moved away from referring to RU as donations when you were breaking other laws.

#12 Winday

Winday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:44 AM

Rule 0 of sysadmin is you don't fuck with other people's data. You don't invade their privacy, you don't steal their data, you don't extort them. That's also rule 0 of being an acceptable human.

They failed on all counts.

I'm sure you'll get a more thorough accounting of the other shit that Kayde and Hez have pulled since weaseling their ways back into power, but let me assure you: it's hilarious as it is fucked. Gross wrongdoings, massive breaches of privacy, and going about doing the wrong things in the worst way possible, with a touch of fellating the most annoying and vocal elements of the playerbase... I stopped paying attention in August, but I can see it's been a rough eight months.

Hopefully, after Vass and Omnis get the game re-situated after this pathetic sabotage attempt, there can be a clean slate from which to rebuild the immortal capacity.

#13 Eversor

Eversor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:52 AM

As a player, Vassago can do whatever he wants with his free to play game. Which he did, and sold to Alyce.

Kayde and Hez using the game as a way to get back at Alyce or Vassago is the wrong way to do it.

I do enjoy reading what the admin has to say to each other on the forum, and lets me know where they stand on the PLAYERS. I could careless on where they stand with the money. I don't play to make money, and I occasionally donate for the work that is put into this game.

If you are going to pick a side, you should look at which side is here trying to keep the game running vs which side is currently hurting the game.

If you are deciding based on what one person says is now a legal matter after he sabotages a company, than you are probably just a "social" whore and stopped playing ages ago.

#14 Toothgnasher

Toothgnasher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:02 AM

You tell us to be informed and ask questions, but you give information in a pro-wrestling format. So far it sounds to me like hez has done things by the book and documented it. What is your counter to his facts?

#15 Ashwyn

Ashwyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:02 AM

I've already asked what I need to do to end all of this, I have no interest in a war, battle, money, fight, destruction, or anything else.

Whatever needs to happen so MM can move forward and Alyria can heal, I just want to know what you want from me or for me to do.

#16 Rascon

Rascon

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:12 AM

For starters you could have your husband and yourself sign a notarized document that all claims real or imaginary against Materia Magica LLC are from this date forward settled in their entirety. And no further claims can be brought against MM either.

You know that what you guys are doing is wrong, furthermore It is my opinion that not only is it wrong you are opening yourself up to all kinds of civil and possibly (depending on timeframes) criminal litigation here, and you just don't need that shit in your life right now of all times.

You asked what you could do, I just told you, go and do it if you were serious...

#17 Toothgnasher

Toothgnasher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:17 AM

For starters you could have your husband and yourself sign a notarized document that all claims real or imaginary against Materia Magica LLC are from this date forward settled in their entirety. And no further claims can be brought against MM either.

You know that what you guys are doing is wrong, furthermore It is my opinion that not only is it wrong you are opening yourself up to all kinds of civil and possibly (depending on timeframes) criminal litigation here, and you just don't need that shit in your life right now of all times.

You asked what you could do, I just told you, go and do it if you were serious...

But what do I know? I'm just a simple caveman. Your ways frighten and confuse me.

#18 Toothgnasher

Toothgnasher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:29 AM

Why is Omnis/Alyce contributing on the forums as Vanitas? Also, freaking hilarious name.

#19 Vanitas

Vanitas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:31 AM

Because I'm not Omnis or Alyce, genius.

#20 Isis

Isis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:32 AM

Hez/Kayde , why would any one who claims to love the game set it back in a state to crash the game ? by doing this you don't only harm Alyce but you harm the whole player base , ppl who had fait and trust in both of you , why go this far ?

#21 Mikoto

Mikoto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:34 AM

Why is Omnis/Alyce contributing on the forums as Vanitas? Also, freaking hilarious name.

What are you 12? All I've seen you do on this entire thread is trash talk. Grow up and get out of your middle school facebook fight mentality.

#22 Throm

Throm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:36 AM

But this is a middle school Facebook fight, so if not now, when?

#23 Toothgnasher

Toothgnasher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:37 AM

Have you read the thread? I haven't said anything out of the character of the tone that was set. Also, I apologize, Alyce's sister?

#24 Mikoto

Mikoto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:39 AM

But this is a middle school Facebook fight, so if not now, when?

This really isn't funny the truth of the matter is the whole game is at stake. People don't seem to get that the game is being extorted and being used by Kayde and Hez to help themselves not the players.

#25 Ashwyn

Ashwyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:40 AM

They have the code, they have all they need, we aren't doing anything to destroy anything?