Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

The future of Alyria

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 Barbarious

Barbarious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:00 AM

Hi Alyce,

I've been playing short stints of MM on and off for quite a few years. Even though I have a balanced and fulfilling life outside of MM, for some reason I keep coming back to immersing myself in the diversity of this community. Because I have enjoyed it so much, I have donated a bit to MM to show my appreciation. I hope you read my 2c of this debacle, from an unbiased player who does not have any grudges towards you, nor favors owes to the opposition.

First off, thanks for your apology. We are all human, and as such we all make human mistakes. I have no doubt you have MM's best interest at heart.

In essence, I think that an immortal should never have a mortal character, no exceptions.

If someone were to have some conflict with Alyce, and then prayed to Omnis for help, how would you take it?
Would you choose to intentionally ignore them?
Would you be unbiased in your decision?
Would you proceed to exact an overly severe punishment?
Would you treat people differentially depending on if they were your buddies and you owed them a favor?
Do you have the ability to separate your professional duties from your personal ones?

If you want absolute power, go play your immortal on the dev server, because if you continue this way, that is what the live server will become - a place that used to be magical and bustling with people, but will become an empty shell because anyone who has ever had a disagreement with you has been banished or left. If you enjoy playing your mortal, then remove all your immortal gear, rescind your immortal mantle and play on a level playing field in the shoes of a mortal.

Are there people out there who have the integrity to take the high road? In an ideal world yes, but based on what I've heard of your actions (free astral key, lightning wand, teleporting your form, tanking bosses with immortal, and let's not be naive here, definitely a tonne of other things that no one has caught you doing and you haven't admitted to), I think you've really undermined the MM community's faith in your integrity. Hey I don't think you are a bad person. Were I put in the same situation, honestly I would eventually also be corrupted by the allure of power, and I would say the same for all the other people currently siding against you, such as Toothgnasher, Adramalech and Spunkie. This goes back to the core reason of why there should not be a mortal with access to immortal powers.

Kayde and Hez did not have mortal characters, which is why I think they had the capacity to be the most fair and just in their authority.

From what I read on the other thread, I have to say I am quite surprised to hear what Kayde and Hez were accused of doing. Even though I totally believe Alyce should not have access to immortal powers, I think you guys have no right to remove the code and try and extort money out of it. If you had chosen to write 8 months of code for free without co-ercion, then that was your decision. If you had wanted to be paid, you should have discussed these issues in your employment contract in the beginning, and you could have freely declined if you did not agree with the terms. This is how real life goes.

It is inevitable that at some point you, Alyce, will come to the cross-roads of a conflict of interest. The only way to avoid it is to never have to come across it by not having both a mortal and immortal.

So yeah, please take a step back from this mess, and try and a see a broader perspective from the other side.

Thanks,
A regular MM player.

#2 Parzival

Parzival

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

I understand the outrage. I really do. Alyce was totally wrong and totally did stuff that he shouldn't have to benefit himself.

I think, though, that when the owner of a company takes the time to put something down on paper and say something like "Hey guys, I'm really sorry. It won't happen again. On top of that, I'm not beyond adding things into the game to assure you that it won't happen again", his apology should be taken at face value. Just like anyone's apology should. People make mistakes. People realize it. It's how we grow as people.

Some people want him to be punished? Cheating is bad? Sure. I agree. How about starting as soon as the drama dies down he devote himself (or a member/s of a staff) one day of fixing broken stuff for every day he had "ill gotten items" or acted on his IMM to benefit his mortal. Wouldn't that help us? Wouldn't that help the game more than "Yeah you can't play the game you bought, own, maintain, defend and saved from extinction in more ways than one"?

Alyce, I accept your apology and look forward to re-balances and fixes. Do it right. Lots of us are behind you.

#3 Dreven

Dreven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

Parzival is very wise. I agree with this person.

#4 Toothgnasher

Toothgnasher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

The path out of this is still the same, albeit getting harder all the time. Alyce needs to accept the natural consequences of his choices. No punishment is necessary. I don't want to see him suffer or punitive damages. I ask him to do the same thing that his own rules require. It is folly to think things will be right if he chooses to maintain both a mortal and immortal on live. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, he still seems to see no problem with this.

#5 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

We'll give you all more of an update soon, which will address that topic as well. Right now we're still busy putting out fires, bear with us.

#6 Toothgnasher

Toothgnasher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

On top of that, I'm not beyond adding things into the game to assure you that it won't happen again"

These "things" were already in place and he ignored them.

his apology should be taken at face value. Just like anyone's apology should. People make mistakes. People realize it. It's how we grow as people.

I, too, accept his apology at face value; however, that doesn't mean he gets to avoid the result of what he did. That isn't what an apology/forgiveness are.

"Yeah you can't play the game you bought, own, maintain, defend and saved from extinction in more ways than one"?

What are the more ways than one? This sounds great but means what? Who said he can't play it? The majority of the people I talk to have a problem with him playing AND actively using an immortal.

Alyce, I accept your apology and look forward to re-balances and fixes. Do it right. Lots of us are behind you.

Nothing comes from nothing. If you want to do something right, you start out right.

Who are you Parzifal? Barbarious was kind enough to introduce himself and mention his level of interest and background with the game.

I hope you can tell good counsel from bad, Alyce. The people who "forgive" you and expect nothing don't think very much of you. Those of us who would like to see intelligent decisions made to remedy past mistakes and prevent future ones have both your and the game's best interest in mind.

#7 Spunkie

Spunkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

I want to make it clear that I have no problem with Alyce having an immortal and mortal character. However, Alyce has to decide what he wants Alyria to be. Does Alyce want it to be a private playground for him and his friends? If so, that's fine since he is now the owner. If Alyce wants "everyone" to play and to continue trying to rise from the ashes of the Duende era, then Alyce needs to decide what his full time role here is going to be. I'm on the outside looking in, I don't want to stop playing, however, if all the people that I played with are no longer around, then I don't have a reason to log on anymore. I'm interested is hearing what the administration has to say. I just want the administration the know that the longer they take, the more damage will be done, the more speculation will be made, and the lose of regular players will continue. This game doesn't have a huge playerbase as it is, so it is crucial to remedy the situation as soon as possible. I personally am tired of the fear-mongering and just want answers; it's just like breaking up with a girlfriend or boyfriend, I need closure.

#8 Isra

Isra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:50 PM

they're silencing ppl for telling the truth. unfroze rascon after 3 days of his 7 day freeze for his misuse of information, looks like.

all that's left'll be the yes men. it's already pretty sickening.

alyce promised to 'clean up his act,' and then fired the only person trying to regulate him. has no intention of giving back ppl's gear he cpk'd with an astral key.

as always dreven, you're an idiot.

#9 Dreven

Dreven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

Angry, bitter and quick to hold a grudge. Poor Isra. Its funny how many times I have heard people say they hope you do end up quitting over this all. Anyway this isn't about me or you.

#10 Rascon

Rascon

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

they're silencing ppl for telling the truth. unfroze rascon after 3 days of his 7 day freeze for his misuse of information, looks like.

as always dreven, you're an idiot.

I didn't do anything like that, and also that isn't why I was frozen. I was frozen because I responded to her warning "talk like you did on TALK last night again and I'll freeze you for 7 days" with "Wouldnt want the players to think I'm getting special treatment" THAT response is why I was frozen for 7 days.

Calling Dreven an idiot is exactly what we would expect you to do, its more of the same from you. You are a bitter hateful person, your arguments are taken with absolutely no credibility for the sole reason that they come from you. You could say that the ocean is wet at this point and nobody would care to listen to you. You have become nothing more than a cancer on the community and for the life of me I can't understand why anyone would be friends with you, then again the vast majority(not all) of those so-called friends of yours merely just put up with you. I've heard most of them talk about how annoying and immature you are myself. I would like nothing more than for you to grow up and quit with your little captain crunch politics and hate-mongering and just play the game, have fun, and support the community going forward. Since I personally think you are not able to bring yourself to do any such thing, I suggest you just quit playing, get over it and move on with your life. I sincerely hope that some day you can find happiness in something other than being a negative person. If you can't do that on a game then its probably doing nothing but holding you back from doing something with your life and you should just quit. Whatever your decision is, (I'm sure it will be to stay and change nothing about your horrible attitude and continue to be as much of a problem and as divisive as possible) Good luck.

#11 Isra

Isra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:51 PM

tooth wants to apologize to ppl. i wanna do just the opposite. ain't too bitter. all i wasted was time. i just don't think any reasonable person can make the argument that it's ok he silenced us w/ an astral key for almost a year. is undoubtedly going to continue to do so while he plays a mortal & an imm.

right about 1 thing. it isn't about either of us.

http://lh3.ggpht.com...Pfde4ph92I=s400

#12 Starwalker

Starwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:13 PM

why do I have a sneaky suspicion that link isra posted is a virus of some sorts? ... curiosity killed the cat and myself a few times, but in this case I'm not even going to try it.

#13 Dyalot

Dyalot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:02 AM

why do I have a sneaky suspicion that link isra posted is a virus of some sorts? ... curiosity killed the cat and myself a few times, but in this case I'm not even going to try it.

Apparently, it's a picture. Of a flying pig with an apple in its mouth. JPEG.

Wget is your friend.

#14 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:48 AM

Frankly we have bigger fish to fry at the moment. Isra, your opinions have been made quite clear. At this point please calm down and let us deal with the other issues that happened over the last few days first. I've said more on the matter, but it's in the other thread: http://www.materiama...-up-with-alyria and I don't see any reason to retype it here.

#15 Dupre

Dupre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:25 AM

I have no idea what the problem is, but I have the best solution, we make me an immortal and get out of my way.

#16 Vaticus

Vaticus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

Alyce owns the game and is head imm, he appointed Rascon to be an imm, we're supposed to all believe that this isn't going to become a big sandbox for Alyce and his barnacle crew to abuse at will? LOL. I really wonder how many of you people are big enough suckers to buy that steaming pile of BS. Evidently, there are many.

#17 Isis

Isis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

Alyce owns the game and is head imm, he appointed Rascon to be an imm, we're supposed to all believe that this isn't going to become a big sandbox for Alyce and his barnacle crew to abuse at will? LOL. I really wonder how many of you people are big enough suckers to buy that steaming pile of BS. Evidently, there are many.

Wrong, Kayde appointed Rascon a Imm get your facts straigth before talking

#18 Arcadin

Arcadin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

Isis can you let Alyce fight his battles? Your pimp can handle his own I promise. Besides Vaticus is too dumb to even read the thread or he'd know that already. Nobody cares what he has to say.

#19 Isra

Isra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

pay no attention to the new world order.
i'm sure we'll all be treated equally.

04-19-2014 08:45 pm Clan Clan Diversity [52] has joined Heralds of Knowledge Alliance [27].
04-18-2014 04:15 pm Clan Clan Supremacy [75] has joined Heralds of Knowledge Alliance [27].

week 1. lolol

#20 Renee

Renee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

I'm actually kind of disappointed, NGL. Thought for sure that when we joined, we'd all get our own IMMs. NBD, though: between you and me, I think it's a clan owner thing only.

:whistle:

#21 Isra

Isra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

right. who gets caught up on details like whether or not that power was legitimately obtained? ;)

next time at least sell to someone good at it. maybe they won't give it away after.

#22 Rosein

Rosein

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:18 PM

O M G you're right. All of the clans are forming one super clan, it's like.. like.. some kind of alien brainswashed everyone and now everyone is joining one big cult so that the alien mothership can land and take everyone away at once. Fellow Alyrians, DON'T DRINK THE PUNCH! Do not be swayed by words or the sweet, sweet honey secreted by the alien overlords. Do not pack up your miscellaneous electrical appliances (the alien ship's electrical system probably works differently than ours anyways, it'd be like taking an electrical appliance from North America then jamming it into an outlet in England, it's totally not going to work and, worse, it might start a fire or something.. wait.. that's perfect.. the aliens won't see that coming!! OH SNAP) FELLOW ALYRIANS PACK UP YOUR APPLIANCES and plug them in all at once once you're on the ship!

The plan is brilliant.

Also, looking for clan.

#23 Nerys

Nerys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

Not one person has approached me asking why Clan 75 switched Alliances. Instead, people are to busy making up their own stories to rationalize it and be gossip mongers.

We were approached months ago about changing alliances, before the news of a new owner or "New World Order" even came to be known. We decided not to make the move at that time.

Since then, some things had happened to change our minds and the active clan members and even the not so active ones I emailed, decided it was time for a change and we would take a chance. This was not a decision that Jinxt, Nisin and I made on a whim. We voiced opinions, leaving the choice to stay or go entirely up to the clan.

We're not choosing sides. We're trying to have fun and play the game.

#24 Rosein

Rosein

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

Not one person has approached me asking why Clan 75 switched Alliances. Instead, people are to busy making up their own stories to rationalize it and be gossip mongers.

You don't need "Facts" or need to "Ask questions" when everyone knows that the reason ya'll are doin' stuff is because of a super alien mind control ray. When your thoughts are your own, make a hat like mine (See picture to the upper left of my post) and wear it. Then, after time, one day, their control will wane. Until then. Do not drink any liquid from an aluminum can...... that's how they get ya.

#25 Isis

Isis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

Glad 140 already was part of this *demonic* alliance before this drama started :P

Rosein contackt a leader if intrested to join us