Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Race Balance

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Toothgnasher

Toothgnasher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

Some data on Race Respecs:

Total reraces: 156

Interpretation:

I ranked the races by the ratio of those leaving vs those choosing it. The lowest ratio is therefore likely to be indicative of the most popular race.

Other notes: I left in the Sahuagin data, but it's ratio cannot be understood the same.

Race From To Ratio
Sahuagin 6 15 .4
Gnome 13 23 0.57
Drow 7 12 0.58
Dracon 6 9 0.67
Sidhe 13 17 0.76
Human 11 14 0.79
Ogre 11 10 1.1
Half-elf 7 6 1.17
Dwarf 16 13 1.23
Elf 14 10 1.4
Mino 14 9 1.56
Fey 14 8 1.75
Halfling24 10 2.4

#2 Thror

Thror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

I'd be careful drawing strong conclusions from that data, but you can certainly get a sense of some things, I think.

#3 Grimheart

Grimheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:24 PM

Hobbits are awful

#4 Dyalot

Dyalot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:16 PM

Race popularity among respeccers indicates popularity amongst highly active players with RU to blow, which may not be representative of the entire player base. There are also people who have changed race multiple times, and any intermediate race might be seen as one that didn't necessarily turn out how they expected.

Accurately measuring overall race popularity would need to be measured separately for newer and older players. Of course, sorting out which lower-level players are truly 'new' would require insider intel.

What might be most interesting would be to rank the most popular races among the most active players, but accuracy would demand counting "active" as people who are online a lot, while not counting time spent idle or in home/clanhall/safe, which, again, would require more data than is easily gleaned publically -- although only including people seen in [] might do the trick...

#5 Grimheart

Grimheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:01 PM

I have respecd 3 times

1 time with grim from dwarf to human. gained a good piece of armor and lost a vuln (lost bash bonus damage).
I don't regret it

1 time with Vudd from Human to Fish on his path and I like that one a lot too.

1 3rd classer from mino to dracon because i will never archon it so the mino bonus < dracon bonus at hero

I think in the first two cases the respec was advantageous.

I haven't played the last enough to know yet

I have a sidhe valk monk druid bard that might get respecd as well. OR change to Cav

Respecs are awesome.

#6 Solus

Solus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7574 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

Regarding your choice to be human...
Would you not have been happier as a half-elf?

I've not played in a while, but half-elf was outright a better race than Human when I played. (It having racial skills, resistances, higher stats, and whatnot unlike human.) Humans didn't actually have any special abilities until I proved to Vassago they didn't work as intended by showing him a chart of the practices I spent to train skills as a Human vs as a Half-Elf with the same stats & a Half-elf with higher stats due to their race bonuses.

Likewise I proved to Vassago other features were broken with Humans, but those never got fixed after he admitted I was right. Though, Duende did add in a few scriptted items that worked more for humans than other races; however, you couldn't see this and the knowledge only became known because in trade for me never saying 'Human' on Archon Talk again Duende provided the info, to which everyone laughed at him since no one used the items he listed due to them being low level items and/or bad.

That said, after Vass fixed it Humans trained skills for slightly less, but this was mainly good for a rush character. A Human would end up worse than a half-elf in the long run.

Has anything about them been improved upon?

#7 Grimheart

Grimheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:19 PM

More mem capacity and hps and the chest-plate of the righteous (human priest is sufficient to wear it).

Quicker death timer

That is why i did it

half elf would have given me other things but i find my path needs a lot of AR gear to get to 100 and that chest-plate is pretty damned awesome.

one day it might change to half-elf to use crossbows with more effectiveness. but sense-life is easy to get in an item and my path has fast-healing so the half-elf advantage would be archery bonus to damage.

I changed from dwarf because of the lightning vuln which hunters were doing all too frequently and i would run out of spell power with archery.

I like human better than dwarf on this path but half-elf may be pretty good too.