Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Returning to the game

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Beregorn

Beregorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

Hi everyone, i recently came back to the game and enjoy the return so far, however there is something id like to adress that almost stopped me from coming back: the tone and mood in the forum / chat.

When i got the itch to start playing muds again i carefully checked wether or not the mud is still going strong or if there was trouble in paradise. If the later were the case i would stay away because i dont want to invest time and money into a game that might not be there for another couple years.

Well i went ingame (morning german time) and 35+ people were online so i thought great its still lively here esp considering most people are either sleeping or working (depending on timezone) but then people started talking in chat >< mostly about vulgar stuff or how the game was dying and so on. I was rather shocked and started to read through the forum. Same picture here, alot of grumbling about a recent accident (abuse of power) and an overall feeling of things going down the drain.

On the other hand a couple of hours had passed and 70+ people are online =D. So from what i can gather there is still a strong playerbase but a handfull of rather "loud" people who bitch and moan alot. The problem i see with that is that it harms the overall gameplay experience.

For one thing i dont want to listen to any ingame chat anymore because it simply upsets me, i have to deal with imature people on a daily basis in rl i dont want that in my freetime.

Secondly as you can see from my little story above i almost didnt come back to this great game because of a few loud people who drown out the mayority of the playerbase that are simply playing and having fun (thus being silent).

I can understand that people get upset about some aspect of the game but to me it seems they argue and bicker because they like the game as a whole but not some small parts, the problem however is that the game as a whole suffers because of them, thus generating even more bitching and moaning. If they are realy soo upset they should take a timeout from the game, get their head clear wether or not they want to play the game and if they do they should do whats in the best interest of the game as a whole and not only their gameplay experience.

I hope i didnt step on to many toes but i felt the need to express my feelings on this issue because the game is great and its never good to alianate newcomers and returners with prophecies of doom and wild arguments in the latest 10 topics.

Good Hunting
Beregorn / Gerugon

#2 Ithilwen

Ithilwen

[Clan 52] Diversity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationRune Estates West

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates your perspective, Beregorn. It's a good thing to have and definitely something we all needed to hear. There are a lot of loud people, but like you said, there are many who are quietly enjoying themselves as well, preferring to stay out of the arguments. They are the majority, and I'm glad you had the ingenuity to notice that. While I undoubtedly hope for a change away from the arguing, I also hope that other returning players notice the same that you did.

Nevertheless, it's good to see you back. I'm not sure if you remember me, but we were clanned for a few months together the last time that you played, but that was almost three years ago now! Welcome back to the game and don't be a stranger! Please let me know if there's anything that you need as you become reacquainted with Alyria.

Posted Image

MISTRESS OF SYMPHONIES • MOON MAIDEN • OWNER OF CLAN DIVERSITY

Model: Valentina Kallias, Artwork: Ithilwen

#3 Gezus

Gezus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

http://mudstats.com/...d/MateriaMagica

This can help you find when peak times are and the direction the game is heading in.

#4 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Gezus - I'm not sure your point in posting that.

#5 Toothgnasher

Toothgnasher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:11 PM

Gezus - I'm not sure your point in posting that.

I think his point was to help returning players find good times to play and get an impression of the general direction the game is going. The graphs are just data open to interpretations.

#6 Nil

Nil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

How dare you post mudstats to help address a returning player's concerns, Gezus. That was absolutely uncalled for.

#7 Calum

Calum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1803 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

I'd post my stats, but they're far too awesome.