Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Help files suggestion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Addraryn

Addraryn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:33 PM

Hello, everyone,

Before you go gendering me, I need to say first that I'm not a man. I'm also not a woman, so when you refer to me in the third person, please use "they."

Anyway, so I'm back from a three-year hiatus. Upon coming back, I see a lot of new content that I like. But there is one suggestion that I have, and that's on the help files.

A lot of the help files (ex: help clan) are tl;dr. I would like to suggest that there be a way to narrow the search if we want further information. For example, I wanted to know the levels when I could join a clan that wasn't clan 7. I hit continue 4 times (my page_length is 120, so the file is between 480 and 600 lines) just to look for the information. Now, I know I could have looked each time the prompt came up to see if the information I wanted was in there, but I wanted to look just once. If someone wanted information on the clan set feature, they wouldn't be able to option to press exit before the last bit came up without losing access to that information.

So I was thinking that the help files could have subfiles. For example, there could be "help clan basic" for basic information on clans. Then there could be "help clan set" for infromation on clan set. Or, for types of clans, there could be "help clan types" or "help clan order" if someone wants to know something more specific. If implemented, this feature would most likely help with bandwidth once people get used to the feature being there, depending on the complexity of the coding involved.

What do you guys think?

#2 Perem

Perem

There be pirates

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2313 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

Good idea.

#3 Minus

Minus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:05 AM

I agree, that is a fine idea. Although may I suggest a few willing and able players help rewrite/update the rules. Under supervision of course. That should help out more than making subcats.

#4 Minotorious

Minotorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5271 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:33 AM

I think I generally assume any post that starts with a plea for gender attention is going to be a tumbles questions shot lord special.

#5 Nil

Nil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

I agree with that thing that started the topic. Help basic and help verbose could be amazing additions since most of the time people only check help files for the commands and/or base damage, saves or whatever.

It has a great point that can also be taken from this, a lot of the game is pointlessly verbose and rather uninviting to newer players.

#6 Duende

Duende

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1619 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:55 PM

Sure, that's totally doable. Make a list of what help entries would benefit from this splitting-up treatment and we can take a look at it.

#7 Addraryn

Addraryn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

I think I generally assume any post that starts with a plea for gender attention is going to be a tumbles questions shot lord special.

What?

#8 Addraryn

Addraryn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:36 AM

OK, so so far, I know that the build, clan, powers, and rewardunit help files could use this change.

#9 Dupre

Dupre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:36 PM

Please don't refer to us as "guys" it is highly offensive and I have been triggered

#10 Addraryn

Addraryn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:53 AM

Please don't refer to us as "guys" it is highly offensive and I have been triggered

Oops. I did not notice my use of gender-specific language.

OK, what do you all think.

#11 Addraryn

Addraryn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:05 AM

Help ship can also use this change.

#12 Addraryn

Addraryn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:46 AM

I'd like to add help item attributes. I looked this one up by help owner-only and discovered the whole help file is 3 pages long at 120 page-break when I found only 4 of those lines useful.

#13 Perem

Perem

There be pirates

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2313 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:20 PM

Can we put the where to train this skill line back in the help files? Why was it removed, it's super helpful for novices.

#14 Nargrag

Nargrag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:29 PM

oh..didn't notice it...yep it could be really helpful..