Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Redemptions from the Darkness have been changed.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 Duende

Duende

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1617 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

They now require the heads of bosses, but stay fed for much longer from them. Starting 3 RL days after they are obtained, they will require the heads of bosses, category 5+. They are fed using the USE command, and will seek out their appropriate heads in your inventory. They will be considered fed by the amount ((boss's category - 4)^3) days. A category 5 boss's head will keep it fed for 3 RL days, category 6 is 9 days, category 7 is 27 days. This time passes in safe, social and offline. If a Redemption stays unfed, it will rapidly decay to nothingness. You can see how long it is fed for by loring it.

#2 Ledatic

Ledatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:49 PM

Not sure if this was discussed anywhere else, or in game, but why? This just seems silly. All I would like to know is the reasoning behind this.

#3 Zalene

Zalene

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:18 AM

This is how I see the change from my perspective: Now the redemption will "reward" me for playing the game, while before I felt as though I was being punished for leaving social by having my redemption decay twice in twenty minutes. It encourages rather than discourages activity, basically.

#4 Zalene

Zalene

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:30 AM

If that's the formula being used, does that mean that trying to use a category 1, 2, or 3 head would result in time being taken away from the redemption?

#5 Duende

Duende

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1617 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:04 AM

Zalene's right about the motivation. And this is only positive, heads below category 5 won't do anything.

#6 Ledatic

Ledatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:25 AM

So for people that would have things pop up irl that may cause them to miss time, or even maybe a vacation, they are being punished by doing so? Also are heads from bosses a guaranteed drop every kill? Were things like this put into consideration? Maybe make Thillius the Damned a little more frequent and lower the price of the original timepieces? There will be a lot of lost redemptions and motivation to go along with it, since Thillius isn't the best shopkeeper around. Sorry for the bombardment of questions, this is my only form of communication.

#7 Zalene

Zalene

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:37 AM

Apparently after this reboot bosses will always drop their head.

It does suck for people who are fairly inactive but still want a redemption or anyone who has to take some unexpected time off from the game, but for active players I feel this will be a better system.

#8 Satina

Satina

Advanced Member

• Admins
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:51 AM

I tested this extensively, I can tell you my Redemption is happy and not a bit hungry - fed until September 29th.

#9 Ledatic

Ledatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:55 AM

Wait...you mean to tell me that something was actually tested before it was implemented? lol. This must be a really good change if that's the case :P

#10 Jeahan

Jeahan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

Is there a list somewhere for what category a boss is? And via Satina's description, I assume it means that you can pro-rate feed them, thus giving them multiple heads in a day increases the overall length?

I do feel that offline is a bit of a harsh move, for those of us who do have real life issues.

#11 Rotten

Rotten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:48 PM

Why was this necessary? As a casual player, this totally fucks me and any other player in a similar position. Duende, you have some great ideas, but this isn't one of them. This will only cause more players who don't have a huge amount of time to play to have the cards once again stacked against them. Changes like this don't make me very receptive to donate when it is a clear "fuck you" to the casual player.

#12 Dupre

Dupre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:34 PM

I remember those things

#13 Rainn

Rainn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:17 PM

It seems to be a longstanding goal to make broken game harder. Not better, or more enjoyable, or more functional. More difficult to contend. No one's playing now. What can it possibly hurt..

Also, I hear Rascon's still cheating on a dev imm. Maybe you bros can look into that while you're tinkering. Doesn't sound like you have it on lock.

#14 Hael

Hael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:29 AM

so lets see... it's game breaking to force people out of social and go on runs once a month... damn those greedy fools for making such a horrible update....

also rainn, love ya to death but quit stirring rumors and hoping to get people angry cause we all know rascon isn't doing anything and it's just a rumor idiots wanna try and spread.

#15 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

This seems great on paper. Though, restricting an item that once any player could obtain to being a formation fueled own all, be all buff stripping item seems a bit much. More so when it comes as any form of dispel is now aggressive.

So, any inactive player whom had a current redemption as of this change just got boned. No biggie.

For those requesting a list of bosses fitting the category I am sure koc has one. Though for the less lazy, I heard owning a personal log would tell you when using "use log available".

Great change. Now, if only there was a trickiest redemption that was bound and life spanned instead of requiring heads....

#16 Pointyhat

Pointyhat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

basically someone like me, who drives a tractor trailer 5-6 days a week cant have a redemption now. If its activity that allows you to have certain gear I might as well just quit now and be done with it. I can see this being viable with an online timer, sitting in social/home or game play. But this change punishes me, I get a redemption and it dies, because I have a job and a life. I have played this game for many years.
This is the dumbest change I have ever seen roll off the duende express line. This is a huge slap in the face to the casual players, lets reward the people with no life, bravo I guess there is some stupidity in duende's thinking after all.

#17 Toothgnasher

Toothgnasher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:57 AM

I don't see this as a big deal. You can easily stack up time on a redemption to the point it doesn't matter. You want the benefits without much cost. I don't blame you for wanting more, but that doesn't mean it makes the most sense for the game in general.

#18 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:03 AM

I don't see this as a big deal. You can easily stack up time on a redemption to the point it doesn't matter. You want the benefits without much cost. I don't blame you for wanting more, but that doesn't mean it makes the most sense for the game in general.

Toothgnasher, I agree you are skilled and capable of a bit solo.. though, how many midranged players solo cat five bosses or higher? Any of the generally solo able bosses will not fuel the redemption. Heck, soloing yourban, seriende or any of the more "duo" based bosses will not add lifespan.

I only see the staff "guiding" players to use an item instead of a spell with this change. Have to be in combat to dispel now anyways, why waste sp and reagents?

All this is doing, is forcing players to "get with the clique or GTFO!". Now, instead of rolling on boss loots, you roll on the boss head.

This was a lot of effort to prevent dispel spam in player vs player situations. Even so, the redemption has always been better. Barring a sleep/dispel tactic at least. Why push it so much harder?

I honestly cannot think of a cat five boss that I had fought with regular activity for over the last year. Simply, they require formations to a player of my ends. Not saying you, dragonburner or one of the other top ten cannot solo sustain a redemption here. Simply pointing out 95% of the player base cannot.

The ability to stack out the lifespan is great. Ya, I agree. Should have just made a trickiest variant though. With +4 to all saves, +4ar and +10 regeneration to all vitals. Why? Because, elitists gonna be elite. Is this all going to be undone next reboot, please?

#19 Hael

Hael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

so people are actually complaining that there is now a reason for forms to be made and runs to get run... this community really does confuse me, it begs for methods to get people active then bitches when one is put into play.

it's not hard to grab 3 or 4 people and go run a mob... hell I'm sure mino or tooth will even gladly go get heads for you for a small fee.... bosses drop their heads on every kill now so not like you have to run it multiple times in the hope of getting one.

just relax, run 1 good mob and you are set for a month... run 3 mid level mobs and you are...wait for it... set for a month.... it's pretty basic and pretty simple. be just ever so slightly active and you get an awesome item, hang out in social and do nothing, then don't get an item...

#20 Rascon

Rascon

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:49 PM

Hael you don't even really play the game. Even if you did play, since you STILL aren't an archon this change wouldn't affect you at all whatsoever. Scale back that condescending tone and maybe your view that admin is infallible wouldn't be so obvious. It is no secret that you are the owner of this game's real life friend. So, when you go around telling everyone how great everything is how stupid and whiny they are (even if you don't) it looks like you have an ulterior motive. Also, constantly insulting his customers probably isn't doing him any favors. Just food for thought.

#21 Hael

Hael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:25 PM

well rascon I know this is hard for you to understand, but I am allowed like everyone else here to have an opinion, my stand point on the game hasn't changed from when tony didn't own it till when he did. also pointing out the obvious isn't insulting people. now rainn calling you a cheater... that was an insult, me saying go do some runs is just a statement.

also like you said I rarely play now due to my job, so what motives do I have you ask? well maybe it's simply when I log in I don't wanna have to wait for 2 hours to get a form together... this is just another reason for people to form up and thus higher chance of things getting run.

#22 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:12 PM

well rascon I know this is hard for you to understand, but I am allowed like everyone else here to have an opinion, my stand point on the game hasn't changed from when tony didn't own it till when he did. also pointing out the obvious isn't insulting people. now rainn calling you a cheater... that was an insult, me saying go do some runs is just a statement.

also like you said I rarely play now due to my job, so what motives do I have you ask? well maybe it's simply when I log in I don't wanna have to wait for 2 hours to get a form together... this is just another reason for people to form up and thus higher chance of things getting run.

So, not wanting to wait for a minimum of three people to all be active, willing and receptive to doing a run with the likelihood of little to no reward for hours on end... means you should 'form up'?

This makes little logic. Look, this change is a negative thing to the majority of the player base. I see no player willing to dispel/calm spam a boss or high level npc. Dispel magic was heavily devalued. At this current note, there is zero reason to use this spell when you are forced to be in combat. As in, why use a class obtained skill when this equipment does it better. Wait!! That equipment now means you have to get friends to split up head loots.

Awesome.

Ok, sure it only takes three boss category five heads for what... one week of duration? But, chances are at least one other friend wants heads. So, that now takes a minimum of six boss kills when evenly split. See how this math works in real world practice?

Now look, I think incentivizing players to play together is grand. Practically forcing them, is trash.

Granted, maybe a dozen players can solo feed this item. Amazing. This does not mitigate that the changes to dispelling npc's and subsequently redemptions has an effect on the entire game. Not just level 241.

Does anyone care? Yea, sure seems a fair amount of people are upset by this. Will the staff do anything other than keep going in the same direction? Doubt it, too many staff hours invested. Plus, the likelihood that the old code was retained is minimal.

In short, Hael I do not discredit your quoted comment... instead I like to point out that you yourself admit to not having time. Do you think there would be enjoyment in spending what little time you do have just maintaining an item because now you are dependent on it? Highly unlikely.

The point being, more players got boned by this than got helped. For something that was not broken adding fuel to this fire. The PvP issue could have been resolved by amending the spell to be 50% less effective when a PC is targeted.

#23 Hael

Hael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:34 PM

I honestly don't care about the pvp aspect of it, and having a dispel on a stick seems a little bit on the easy mode anyways. but to answer your question about my time restraints and would I want to "waste" it maintaining this item... well yes I would cause isn't the point of the game to kill mobs, get loot, and have fun with friends? as a matter of fact this new change almost assist me in my goal of killing boss mobs by forcing high end players out of social and their halls and into the game to actually... you know... play.

players don't need this item to win, it helps sure, but it's not a must have or lose item. so if you want the luxury of such a great item as you all put it, shouldn't there be a steep price to maintaining it? why should such an OP item that players complaining about not being able to dispel be easy to keep? instead it should be hard to maintain if you think about it from a logical stand point...

but seems now a days people want everything on super easy mode :/

#24 Gnomar

Gnomar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:46 PM

You don't need a redemption at all to play the game. Stop being bad.

#25 Minotorious

Minotorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5271 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:11 PM

I'm going to deliver a classic spicy protip for everyone ITT.

An Orc Shaman (5)

--

You can stop being a bunch of petulant hitches and go renew your redemption solo in 5 minutes at a time now. Next time you want to cry about a change, maybe even spend 1/10th the time trying to find a solution that you do crying about it.

--

As a general aside, if you aren't fighting content generally difficult to be classed as category 5, what the hell is the big deal over whether or not you have a redemption?