Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

the meaning of life, universe and well... everything

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:48 AM

Life;

What is the current status with help desk? Seems awful broken. Am always told everything is sorted, filed, addressed and conclusions have been found. Yet certain helpdesks have been "concluded" ten months ago and nothing has been done so?

The meaning of universe;

How rude of certain peoples to brandish name biased hates. Removing posts and the such.

Of recent events, the newest hunter rendition blows. Granted Esker code hunter's were simple to abuse counter spell on, granted. New ones end up being a total dicksauce monkeyfuck bore. Ethereal return was OK.

Equipment decay, has it stabilized? The last few weeks I cared to play it sure seemed wonky. One day would burn four taints off of a single weapon. Then, after multitude of help desk complaints, two taints the next day doing exact same amount of usage. Following a third day nearly the same as first. Yea... crushing weapon in less than a week of playing. Awesome.

Everything;

Where are most of the other players? Enough said. Maybe a vast quantity saw how things are overly complex and now require work. At first, thought my definition of game was off. So, checking a dictionary provided a result such as follows:

Noun: activity engaged in for diversion or amusement

Sadly some have forgotten that.

The final star collapses;

The universe comes to an end. Though many hypothesized that a final collapse will bring about one more big bang only the last survivor can ever know. Merely, all things in life are a fleeting memory. Pulsating from one brain sector in a random firing of chemicals and electrons.

Was it fun, or simply a misconcepted idea?

Someone needs to bring it back. Shake up things. Go about removing nonsense changes which occured over last 14 months. Too many cooks burn the soup, just as quickly the single cook running three kitchens.

#2 Satina

Satina

Advanced Member

• Admins
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:40 PM

So lets talk about these things you want publicly addressed - shall we.

You have submitted 21 tickets to Helpdesk.

Of those 21 tickets - 10 were suggestions regarding things you would like changed about equipment, either things you currently own, or some you would like added. Those have been added to the appropriate place for decisions to be made. We will not modify items simply because you want us to. We will evaluate the situation in regard to the total playerbase.

One ticket was about your concerns for a clan, I closed that ticket after I contacted the clan owner.

You have submitted 8 bug reports, 5 of which have already been addressed and are fixed. The other 3 are on the list to be evaluated.

I will not discuss the details of the other two tickets here, but they were both resolved - you just didn't like the answers.

I am not seeing where your concerns have been ignored or closed without appropriate resolution.

In reference to your deleted post - That thread is not the appropriate place to address your concerns.

-Satina

#3 Filius

Filius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

I thought the answer was 42. Please don't unravel my fragile universe.

#4 Rotten

Rotten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:25 PM

Floyd has a point. This game has become work rather than a game. Sometimes simple or less is more. I know the immortals have a vision to adding players, but look at the stats. You aren't getting them....something is broken. I keep checking in hoping some of these changes are reverted, but time and time again I am disappointed. I absolutely refuse to give in and donate to a game that I do not agree with the direction it is going. I like Alyce and I appreciate him trying to bring the game back, but the direction making the game more of a pain in the ass isn't the way to go. You want more players? Then when making changes try not to give a big "fuck you" to the playerbase.

When you look at other games and why they are successful, it isn't because they are the most difficult or complex game. They have an element to suck people in without discouraging them from the beginning. Concentrate what brings people to MM and build on it. Lately, I have explored other MUDS and it is clear the set up for MM is far superior to anything I could find. There is absolutely no reason why MM should be holding down the back of the pack unless you point to MM being a job and too much of a pain in the ass.

I really hope the leadership is paying attention and put ego's aside, because if you haven't looked at the numbers, then you should, because it isn't working.

#5 Minotorious

Minotorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5271 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:41 PM

Here's the thing...MM, and any other 'open' RPG is what you make it.

What about MM is a 'job' or a 'bore'?

You can do anything you want, so do things you enjoy doing, and don't do things that you don't...

What is it that any of you want to do that you absolutely can't do, and what is that you don't want to do that you feel like you are 'forced' to do?

People have indeed lost sight of what a game is. You can't simultaneously want to take the game seriously and do hard content, but not want the content to be hard.

--

As far as help desk stuff goes, the admins are always going to go after issues that affect the most people in the most significant ways first.

The best you can do is try to be a detailed as possible and make solving any minor bug or issue that's affecting you as easy and efficient as possible.

But you're never going to get individualized attention to vague bugs that only you are reporting problems with that you can't even easily replicate!

#6 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:32 PM

The amount of required questing/pursuer/crystal guilds is work.

The required bot-like grinding for betters is work.

The amount of hours involved with doing the same thing over and over for one "decent" item is work.

Fun would be logging in, slaying a few solo or duo friendly bosses and getting loot with betters for spending hours slaying in cpk. Cpk should count all uses for the entire duration of a fight for betters. Will it ever? No.

The direction specific(and likely key) staff members are pushing simply keeps it as work.

I agree there should be challenge. Having bosses give perma-affects that melt your face is not one of them. That is just retardomode. Have you run out of creativity?

The number one issue is the lack of players. Literally any time I care to log in and moan about the most recent stupidity I encountered it seems there are 12-26 players active. This is a random sample from any day at any time. While at rare times I have seen as many as 48.

Satina, thank you for at least broaching the subject. Pardon my crass nature earlier this day. You are right, making requests for all bottom end archons, returning players and the such to have access of more easily obtained archon tier ar equipments is selfish and needs to be ignored. The same with tweaking low end damage archon weapons(in specifics, not class). While yes, I have a few tickets that were proposed solely to get beneath the skin of my most hated staff member it cannot be stated more clearly how amused I am certain people took them seriously. Humor is sometimes lost without audible modulation.

I will touch on this slightly;

Trig wands. Still junk. Not testing them anymore but, at one point you could spam "use wand" and burn all the charges off when it only produced one to two actual uses. Counter issues. Sure, one of the trolls will gripe 'learn to timer' or some other idiocy. Not everyone can count to 90 or whatever the seconds limitation is while combating. There still are visually impaired players who likely struggle even more with the use of timers than I do. No offense to them intended, just pointing out the difficulty.

Lack of alternative damages(archon weapons)

The armor I touched already.

Quivers. Have griped about this for years. Should be a disease quiver. Ranger druid gets hosed. Always have. Ranger relies on archery for poison, why can they not disease with a magical arrow as well? Will this be addressed? Not likely. Been bringing it up for five years now.

Seriously, are majority of the players treated like Floyd is by the staff? If so - that right there may be an issue with player retention. Now, there is one immortal I always give flying color feedback on. *shrug* probably three different help desks mentioning that member by now.

All to the end in a short summary for those who did not read: staff is pushing the wrong direction. Playerbase the smallest have ever seen it. Loads of asshatery changes thrashing old and casual players.

#7 Minotorious

Minotorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5271 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:26 PM

The amount of required questing/pursuer/crystal guilds is work.

'required'?

You can max out an archon characters stats and have all essential skill/spells practices with:

0 Pursuer completions
0 Crystal quests
0 Quests

By just leveling up, getting marks, and killing bosses.
The numbers proving this have been demonstrated by myself, Jord, and even Duende in the past.

The required bot-like grinding for betters is work.

You aren't required to master everything, furthermore, if you just play the game, you'll get betters at a decent rate

The amount of hours involved with doing the same thing over and over for one "decent" item is work.

If you aren't doing content because you enjoy content, then you're doing it wrong

Fun would be logging in, slaying a few solo or duo friendly bosses and getting loot with betters for spending hours slaying in cpk. Cpk should count all uses for the entire duration of a fight for betters. Will it ever? No.

Fun would be every character having mastered every skill within a relatively short time period? Allowing characters to easily reach absolute end point of the game in shorter timeframes significantly reduces player retention periods on this or any other open rpg.

In every single example of this sort of game, the diminishing returns curve gets extremely steep at the very end game.

The direction specific(and likely key) staff members are pushing simply keeps it as work.

I agree there should be challenge. Having bosses give perma-affects that melt your face is not one of them. That is just retardomode. Have you run out of creativity?

You can remove the effects easily. You could be disease free in under 1 rl hour if you stopped whining long enough to actually just do it.

The number one issue is the lack of players. Literally any time I care to log in and moan about the most recent stupidity I encountered it seems there are 12-26 players active. This is a random sample from any day at any time. While at rare times I have seen as many as 48.

Yes, this is the biggest issue presently, so at least you've got one thing right!

Lack of alternative damages(archon weapons)

What damage types do you feel are lacking, just off the top of my head I've got:

Slash - All generic swords, axes
Piece - All generic spears
Bash - All generic mauls, maces
Other - All generic exotic
Fire - A flail of fire, a monstrous flaming sword, A skullsplitter prototype
Lightning - Ray Axe, Flail of Destruction, An electromantic wand
Cold - Abacax sword, A blade of ice (one of the more lacking options)
Disease - Plaguebearer Scythe, Infamous Barchi
Poison - Venom-dipped trident, Wizard Guardian sword
Holy - Innocent Broadsword, Heaven's Wrath
Acid - A dessicator Flog, A netherworld Bo
Air - Pilum, Cyclonic Bill, Flail of Shame, Diraic Axe
Energy - All generic wands
Earth - Laden Warhammer, Dodskalle maul
Mental - Mindslam airfoil, mind javelin, Ardor swords
Negative-Energy - Beastmasters whip, Siklos, Kobudo, dracolich tail
Sunlight - Lightbringer

That's all off the top of my head without even tabbing away from this thread, all weapons I personally have, there's tons more that I have and just don't recall, and tons more I don't have.

Quivers. Have griped about this for years. Should be a disease quiver. Ranger druid gets hosed. Always have. Ranger relies on archery for poison, why can they not disease with a magical arrow as well? Will this be addressed? Not likely. Been bringing it up for five years now.

Not every class has to have access to the same things. Further, 3 of the 4 cleric classes have poison and plague.

Seriously, are majority of the players treated like Floyd is by the staff? If so - that right there may be an issue with player retention. Now, there is one immortal I always give flying color feedback on. *shrug* probably three different help desks mentioning that member by now.

The majority of players are not treated like floyd because the majority of players don't behave like floyd

#8 Nil

Nil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:31 AM

Floyd is probably the only player that has been openly mocked by the entire staff of a game instead of just the community on a public forum.

#9 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:35 AM

People like you have no idea what "fun" games are supposed to be. Maybe if it were not such "long drawn out grindage"... players would make multiple characters and enjoy the game.

Not only that, they could get more friends to join because 'it really only takes a few weeks to get a soso character to hero'.

Beyond that, you are wrong. About a few of those weapons listed. Your overall approach is convulated and elitist in nature. Ideals and behaviours like that are more than half the cause of recession in player base to boot.

Trust me, I already have a moderate amount of boss kills, 750 quests and something like 250 crystal guilds and am no where near maxed on score card. Stop perpetuating lies to troll. It is pathetic.

Reasoning behind the trash you muttered about quivers is weak and lacks basis all while ignoring the point I bring to the table. Never mind three of the four mages have casted variants of disease spell. Was it about ranger/anything other than druid? No.

Finally, yes you are very accurate with the summization that allowing players to receive greater reward for spending their hours(I should say months) of play time in the highest risk rooms(CPK) in the form of greatly increased betters would be far too unbalancing. No way we want players running around those rooms. Heck, just remove that mechanic!

Thank you for posting dragonburner.

#10 Minotorious

Minotorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5271 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:49 AM

People like you have no idea what "fun" games are supposed to be. Maybe if it were not such "long drawn out grindage"... players would make multiple characters and enjoy the game.

Not only that, they could get more friends to join because 'it really only takes a few weeks to get a soso character to hero'.

Beyond that, you are wrong. About a few of those weapons listed. Your overall approach is convulated and elitist in nature. Ideals and behaviours like that are more than half the cause of recession in player base to boot.

Trust me, I already have a moderate amount of boss kills, 750 quests and something like 250 crystal guilds and am no where near maxed on score card. Stop perpetuating lies to troll. It is pathetic.

Reasoning behind the trash you muttered about quivers is weak and lacks basis all while ignoring the point I bring to the table. Never mind three of the four mages have casted variants of disease spell. Was it about ranger/anything other than druid? No.

Finally, yes you are very accurate with the summization that allowing players to receive greater reward for spending their hours(I should say months) of play time in the highest risk rooms(CPK) in the form of greatly increased betters would be far too unbalancing. No way we want players running around those rooms. Heck, just remove that mechanic!

Thank you for posting dragonburner.

The game requires EXPONENTIALLY less grinding now than at ANY time in its history. This is objective fact.

-Quest limits are removed
-There are hundreds more marks
-There are boss kills
-You can get all skills to 80% via the pursuer
-You have a dozen ways to get practices that didn't exist previously.

--

It does only take a few weeks to get a decent character to hero, Notorious made Saerka in under a month, and led Kessarian at level 180.

--

Which weapons am I wrong about, because I have all of those on my character.

--

Some class paths will have different skills and spells available to them than others. Why do you think every single class/path should be symmetrically equivalent?

--

You do get better reward for fighting in CPK.

--

You mad?

#11 Floyd

Floyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:44 AM

So, because six players can do something = possible for everyone?

Make any excuses you want Dragonburner it makes no difference. Even your maths will not lie. There are less players on this day in this year than one year ago. It has been a continual trend.

Platinum mindslam is bash damage. Unless I have fourteen copies that are all bugged.(even after forging they were bash. Though the bugs would not surprise me. I still have a list of 5year old bugs no one has time for).

If it is so easy to obtain betters and level up... I will give you another 2000ru to do a full remort, archon and be conpletely maxed in sub 500 hours of gameplay. Because, you say it is possible with no time and little effort I want to see it.

The statement about certain paths receiving or not certain specific skills has been largely passed beyond with equipment and script work for nearly eight, maybe nine years now to "make the game more playable". Multiple things come to mind. Such as dispelling(now redemptions are the only way to go if you expect to play non casual mode), various items for non paladin or monk witch to cure blind. However providing ranger the ability to disease in silent/no magic via quivers is overpowered. *head scratch* in my eyes redemptions are far more unbalancing than that.

Say what you will but, it literally takes hundreds of hours just to get a few skills and spells mastered on top of hitting archon.

One last question, how many manuals/orbs did notorious dump into the hero-alt you mention? How much of notorious' gold.

A true, no outside help character run for a novice player will never in any real trial be as you are claiming with the 'Saerka' profile.

#12 Minotorious

Minotorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5271 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

So, because six players can do something = possible for everyone?

Who said anything about 6 players?

Make any excuses you want Dragonburner it makes no difference. Even your maths will not lie. There are less players on this day in this year than one year ago. It has been a continual trend.

Yes, there is less players.
No, it is not primarily correlated with anything about the game being too 'worklike' 'tedious' or requiring too much 'grind'.

Platinum mindslam is bash damage. Unless I have fourteen copies that are all bugged.(even after forging they were bash. Though the bugs would not surprise me. I still have a list of 5year old bugs no one has time for).

http://pastie.org/9644221

If it is so easy to obtain betters and level up... I will give you another 2000ru to do a full remort, archon and be conpletely maxed in sub 500 hours of gameplay. Because, you say it is possible with no time and little effort I want to see it.

You'll give me no time to do anything because this is an open RPG and I will play it however the hell I want, doing whatever I most enjoy.

The statement about certain paths receiving or not certain specific skills has been largely passed beyond with equipment and script work for nearly eight, maybe nine years now to "make the game more playable". Multiple things come to mind. Such as dispelling(now redemptions are the only way to go if you expect to play non casual mode), various items for non paladin or monk witch to cure blind. However providing ranger the ability to disease in silent/no magic via quivers is overpowered. *head scratch* in my eyes redemptions are far more unbalancing than that.

Hurr Durr lets get technical. All archons get diseased cloud, u still mad?

Say what you will but, it literally takes hundreds of hours just to get a few skills and spells mastered on top of hitting archon.

Why do your skills and spells need to be mastered? The ones that are most beneficial when mastered (weapons...2nd/3rd attack...enhanced damage...) are all passive and should reach mastery soon after archon anyway.

The benefits of getting a spell from 90% to 100% are marginal, and the marginal end-of-end-game benefits of everything come with excessively diminishing returns by design.

One last question, how many manuals/orbs did notorious dump into the hero-alt you mention? How much of notorious' gold.

A true, no outside help character run for a novice player will never in any real trial be as you are claiming with the 'Saerka' profile.

Of course it won't, and it shouldn't be, because in the instances where people do rush to end-game, they are almost always mechanically unprepared for the content they are engaging themselves in.

Stop and stomp the flowers, because in rushing to absolute end-game-ness any new player is missing out on a ton of enjoyment along the way.

Anything about the game is only a grind if you are choosing to engage in content that you don't enjoy for some insane mind-boggling purpose.

#13 Arcadin

Arcadin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:09 PM

Haha Notorious dumping a bunch of gold into Saerka that's funny. Quit your day job I think you're onto something.

#14 Nargrag

Nargrag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:21 PM

[quote name='Minotorious'][quote name='Floyd']
[quote]
[/quote]

Yes, there is less players.
No, it is not primarily correlated with anything about the game being too 'worklike' 'tedious' or requiring too much 'grind'.[/quote]

I think that too..

#15 Minotorious

Minotorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5271 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:23 PM

Haha Notorious dumping a bunch of gold into Saerka that's funny. Quit your day job I think you're onto something.

I know right, because Notorious is such a greedy person who always hordes loot and gold, and doesn't just give stuff away randomly.

#16 Primus

Primus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1846 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:45 PM

The biggest issue is the lack of content, and honestly, a lack of inspiration or imagination.

It's absolutely true that the game takes less 'effort' to get a decent character nowadays, even leveling has been made easier! Even before this, I did maybe 50~ quests on Primus before I got to Archon, I didn't have any RU items and I never donated. I played the game entirely free and I still managed to make it to most of the 'end game' content, on my initiative and with 18.

New Rune Forest was a great start - we need more reasons to both create new characters and cater to those in the lower brackets. More group content requires more socializing and more socializing requires more players and more activity.

It's more difficult to stick an area on the vmap than it is to write and script them. The defining characteristic of MM players is fascination, our playerbase WANTS to be tricked (and treated), the very nature of a smaller community is word-of-mouth and personal experience. Here's a great example from my experience - people getting into Vaatt before it was opened. The whole 'inner circle' was buzzing about it while simultaneously trying to keep quiet. That was just a tiny village with a small mini. That's how starved people are for new content.

From my experience, I say, stop testing to destruction and get things out into the game. The development cycle is too long. People come back for things they can do, especially if they're somewhat interesting, rewarding, or fun.

#17 Nil

Nil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

To nitpick one thing you said, the idea behind remaking Rune Forest was great. The actual implementation was terrible. I spent time with Esker on several occasions telling him about bugs, design flaws and just general quality of life corrections to make it more fluid.

Granted only one or two things ever got fixed. Three if you count the lightning immunity item no longer being stashable.

Time per character investment is still absurdly high, changes over the years have made it more necessary to max your stats compared to the days when being mounted with 80% shield block and a shield over 1 stone pretty much made you immune to level 500 bolts and sp regen was broken and giving more than it should have and you could successfully do the harder content with less than hero stats.

As far as I know the EXP cap raise was never implemented and each class still requires several thousands of mob kills to just hit the end. This alone is one of the biggest turn offs that this game offers, the pointless grind. If you actually could max out a character and get enough skills mastered within a month I'm sure it'd see more activity.

Computers have become so cheap, namely ones that can handle modern PC games, combined with the ease of play in thousands of mobile games - who really wants to invest 6 months into a character to do the same content for most likely no reward? Especially when you can hit end game in most other modern games in less than a month and do relevant content and see actual progression.

MUDs used to fit a niche, something you could run on your computer at work without getting caught. Now smart phones and tablets fit that role, there's variety you can access that wasn't as readily available a few years ago.

If you really want to see MM take a turn for the better, modernize it. Make it less of a grind, focus on end game content both working and not requiring 6 months of grinding other bosses to get a chance at fighting a boss once, for example.

#18 Slashy

Slashy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:28 AM

I'm a relatively new player in MM and want to continue playing here but currently playing a different mud.

The biggest issue for new players is that there are no other new players around. Most of the players I see in Lasler are alts who don't even say 'hi' and rush out of lasler as soon as possible. This is a negative feedback cycle that has to be distrupted.

One nice thing that I found in another MUD is the ease of navigating the world. Why should I go to a 3rd party website to find the speedwalk from Rune to Xav? Quest says kill mob X - Why should I got to annwn.info (no offense, you guys are indispensable) to look up the mob and find the room and then find the room within the area map? Why can't MM, as part of the game, provide a 'speedwalk' command to popular areas and 'findmob' command within an area? I can understand that findmob combined with client auto-mapper can render tracking unnecessary but I'm talking from a newbie pov.

The mushclient is great, but not everyone uses it. In-game support for speedwalks, mob-finding, navigation would be awesome. You can still have harder content, with mobs that cannot be found/tracked or randomized locations that cannot be speedwalked to.

The additions to Lasler and Rune Forest were refreshing and the haste/levitation items are nice. That is definitely newbie friendly.

The next major item is documentation/help. Why are mark definitions so cryptic? Why can't most low-level marks directly tell which general area provides the mark? Also I find that marks are easier to discover without having to read walls of text, if the npc mob starts the conversation - Lasler is a very good example - you walk from academy to town and the priest gives you a task that turns out to be a mark. Inside lasler, they talk about youth trials, ghosts and dragons ... can we have something similar outside lasler which will keep newbie intrigued and stumble upon marks rather than read a wall of text. Can a newbie stumble upon baba yaga hut without knowing about it before hand.

The next major item I think is to still have a diminishing rewards per hour spent, but have bigger initial rewards. Satisfy hardcore players with more harder content rather than more pp or betters. All classes should be able to get their useful skills to 75% with just level-up pps. The old vandemaar orbs or similar things could be used by hardcore players to do special training beyond 75% and have marks also provide such rewards rather than same old pps. The skill-cost and level-up rewards are setup in such a way that one must absolutely pursue obscure marks and bosses just to train everything to 75%. Why not let newbies hack'n'slash stuff and train everything ... and then let them realize at their own pace that to get uber, they need to grind or do harder stuff.

#19 Yvar

Yvar

Admin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:50 AM

I'm loving how long it is taking to level. I do not know why people think RPG's are all about being max level. I also like how skills are very slow to master as it provides reason to keep building up your character.

I would not want to play another game where my character is maxed out in a month and there is nothing to advance my character in.

#20 Shinde

Shinde

Class Terraformer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:23 AM

This game has a rather... aged playerbase, as you pointed out. I think that is somewhat alienating to newer players, and it warps their expectations too.

Regarding quests: the better written ones should drop enough hints that if you've explored an area, you should be able to do it on your own without the aid of external resources. Maybe not the first time you get the quest, but eventually. MM is a game where failure is always an option, embrace that and learn a little more each time. Unfortunately, a lot of sub-par quests have been accepted and they do not provide enough info, which just drives more players use external crutches.

Marks, like quests, are intended to reward exploration. They are supposed to be hard to find. The public mark guides admittedly short-circuit that, robbing you and other new players of the opportunity to learn to find things on your own. Some can perhaps use slightly easier to find hooks, but a lot are discoverable on their own. It takes time and effort to locate them, but that is the point: to reward players for poking around in strange areas and learning about the world of Alyria. Right now not only is the playerbase very small, but the number of players who actively explore for new content rather than just relying on the resources kindly provided by others is critically low. There are many reasons for this, broken content makes exploration frustrating and at times misleading. A culture of rushing to end-game never gives new players a chance to learn to fend for themselves. They are handed marks and encouraged to look up quests rather than meticulously poking around, making maps and notes, and spending hours, if not days, trying to see if any particular odd detail is a hook for something more.

There is nothing wrong with sharing info, and I encourage it. However, too many players were hand fed so much of the game and never developed the skills or the desire to try to discover on their own. This game has a positively massive amount of content and so much of it goes undone, even undiscovered. Looking for things on your own is so much more rewarding than following a guide. It's not that there are only 6 players /can/ do something, it's only those 6 players have the initiative to go out and figure stuff out.

Another way I feel the mature playerbase and their habits/playstyles tend to skew new player's expectations is with regards to player development: It's not meant to be fast, or easy. Character development is easier now than it has been at any point. The sheer number of methods one can obtain practices and exp has drastically reduced the time and effort required. This isn't WoW, you're not intended to max out in the order of weeks or months, but years. You don't need to train everything to 75%: many skills can be passably used at lower percentages and some you might never end up using. It is not a valid benchmark for balancing the skill practising mechanic. You should easily be able to train the most useful skills between level up rewards, light questing, and the more common marks and boss kills. If you want to max everything, it's going to take a lot of extra effort. Hack'n'slash is not an activity that is particularly interesting, nor does it really enrich the game experience. The trend has mercifully been to removing the need for most of it.

... because in the instances where people do rush to end-game, they are almost always mechanically unprepared for the content they are engaging themselves in.

Stop and stomp the flowers, because in rushing to absolute end-game-ness any new player is missing out on a ton of enjoyment along the way.

Anything about the game is only a grind if you are choosing to engage in content that you don't enjoy for some insane mind-boggling purpose.

As much as I may not like to agree with Minotorious, these are probably some of the wisest words written on this forum, ever. To many players rush to the end and never learn the game's basic mechanics, how to use their classes effectively, or the vast world and how to find their way in it. They engage in some borderline-masochistic behaviour of repeating tasks they don't enjoy over and over, seemingly under the delusion they must perform them. They don't develop their skills (not the character's, but the actual player's) and become frustrated at the difficulty because they didn't ease into it along the way. They too easily throw up their arms and declare things impossible because this is the first time they encounter something that resembles true difficulty.

#21 Nargrag

Nargrag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:05 AM

Why can't MM, as part of the game, provide a 'speedwalk' command to popular areas and 'findmob' command within an area? I can understand that findmob combined with client auto-mapper can render tracking unnecessary but I'm talking from a newbie pov.

with Ruthgul's Mushclient,you can use the command "spdn " to speedwalk to a city.

#22 Dyalot

Dyalot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:21 AM

also, almost any client worth using can record speedwalks. so you walk somewhere the old fashioned way once, then have an alias forever. that's how we did it before annwn.info or mush client bundles existed...

#23 Argent

Argent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1309 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:56 PM

It was always 'work'. I think the devs put a great deal of effort into the experience leading up to Archon; it's just that a lot of the game is more fun and challenging when your char is more complete.

*smokebomb*