Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

LOL digging

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tribon

Tribon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:41 AM

Apparently digging is super hard now and is a task worthy of forming up for. lol.

#2 Dyalot

Dyalot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:06 PM

Got some intel on the new formulas from Duende last night. Won't bore you with the annoying details, but basically even with perception practiced, high knowledge, and high luck (these being what determine your base search/dig rating, apparently), you probably want some +search (for searching) / +dig equipment to speed up the process. Allegedly, a little will go a long way. Also, apparently based on your search/dig rating, some number of the first x/10 attempts are guaranteed to fail (less if you're better), so make sure not to interrupt the process prematurely.

FYI, the enchanted steel spade and pick-axe from agrippa now give +dig, and i hear there's some new +search quest item available. (obviously to get the benefit you have to wear them when using)

Good luck.

#3 Tribon

Tribon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:35 AM

Thank you very much for the info! :cheer:

#4 Minotorious

Minotorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5271 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:45 PM

I for one think we should definitely make more game mechanics more annoying going forward.

#5 Chaosfire

Chaosfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:24 AM

I for one think we should definitely make more game mechanics more annoying going forward.

I agree. Here are some additional ideas going forward:

Based movement lag on lunar cycles. (New, new) adds the maximum 5 seconds of lag per room while (Full, Full) produces the minimum 1 second of lag. Added a new skill, moonwalking, which reduces the lag to current (4.3) levels but causes the user to randomly grab their crotch and shout in a high pitch voice.

Increased realism by improving the 'sleep' command. Players will now become "exhausted", losing attack speed, regen, strength, agility, vitality, sanity, and personality. Exhaustion can be removed by sleeping for 8 hours, and will become increasingly debilitating if players fail to get adequate sleep.

Added Bloodthirsty tinkergnomes. Unlike their brethren, the surprised tinkergnomes, bloodthirsty tinkergnomes will not loot player houses. Instead, they will hide at recall points and slaughter adventurers who use the recall command to enter their locations.

Merged the psychic yeti and pernicious hodag: the pernychic yodag. The yodag is immune to all damage types except fire. An adventurer dealing fire damage to the yodag will die instantly.

Implemented Captcha. Inputting any command except quit, chat enter, and pray death will first require authentication via captcha.

#6 Dyalot

Dyalot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:46 AM

random anecdote: wearing a mere +18 search from neverwhen, with 77% perception, 25 know, and 23 luck, i was able to find 2 separate hidden doors within the first 4-5 search-ticks.

also, vashir's magnifying glass (the more expensive one) is +40 search. so that probably rocks now.

hey as long as we're making quest items more useful, can we get a buff on the AP bonus from the charm pendant of adroit + cunning?

#7 Hoopadoop

Hoopadoop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:37 PM

Sounds very interesting these days. Perception went from vaguely needed for ease to a solid requirement now? Perhaps it should be trainable to a higher percent than 75, but still less than 100.

Moonwalk eh? It should require hard sole shoes with notches in the bottom for an antigravity lean to be cast.

Implementing such mechanics as described by Chaosfire for sleep would make the spell indespensible. Though, most players are stronger than mere mortals and likely require less sleep. Imagine being tormented by nightmares at an absurdly high duration while being negatively impacted by this sleep deprivation.

Why not just make an additional equipment slot for a donation only item that provides large sums of search and dig% with an additionally large bonus to perception. With an equally absurd price and (short)life span.

#8 Ledatic

Ledatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:02 PM

How about just adding like +25 dig/search or perception to the already existing Maldra Pendants? This change is not THAT bad, just slightly more inconvenient in very few situations. Simply wearing a spade while digging or wearing a few other +search items that are in the game negate this new change pretty easily.

Everyone seems to want changes until changes are made....

#9 Dyalot

Dyalot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:57 PM

How about just adding like +25 dig/search or perception to the already existing Maldra Pendants? This change is not THAT bad, just slightly more inconvenient in very few situations. Simply wearing a spade while digging or wearing a few other +search items that are in the game negate this new change pretty easily.

Everyone seems to want changes until changes are made....

i suggested this already on #troll... it was pointed out this would be bad because it's a donation item, and yknow not everyone has one of those already, and nerfing a skill only to require a donation item to make it work better is horrible. Or that's something like the argument Chaosfire made -- he can make it himself again if he cares.

*shrug* since well more than +25 in search and dig can be gained from quest items or just lucky rolls on neverwhen equipment, i dont think itd be terribly wrong to enhance an existing donation item that many older players already have. so it's not the worst idea ever.

#10 Hoopadoop

Hoopadoop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:40 AM

Maldra pendant seems fair enough to be upgraded. While there are plenty of items in game, has anyone tested the success of the search/dig command with lower knowledge and luck races lately? Granted being big and dumb makes you a PvP beast, it may be annoying having to spend minutes issuing the same command for simple navigation.

#11 Trilon

Trilon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:13 AM

Apparently digging seems to be back within the reach of ordinary mortals again. :)

#12 Hoopadoop

Hoopadoop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:42 PM

In some rooms when attempting to dig or search where known things lie in wait... ::coffee and smoke break:: twenty to fifty attempts later with 75% perception.

Is there a surplus of items that add large sums to search and dig?

#13 Hoffer

Hoffer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:44 PM

The system seems particularly brutal right now. Perhaps it can be adjusted to grant progressively increased chance of success each time your search and fail? Sometimes it literally takes 5-10 minutes of searching to find a hidden exit/item.

#14 Hoopadoop

Hoopadoop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:26 AM

It would really help if when a player hid an item they could later find it with a very high success rate. Also, if a player had found the hidden exit previously, it would lend to common sense they could easily find it again a few days later.

#15 Xozes

Xozes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSouth Alabama

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:16 AM

I have 17/18 luck, and perception trained to 75%.

It took me 9 different attempts of searching to find A Brigand's Hideaway in Thieves Forest in New Rigel.. NINE!

By that, I mean I had to let it go through the entire thing 9 different times. and it found it on the 9/10 tick of the ninth try!

Ridiculous.

#16 Yvar

Yvar

Admin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:21 PM

I have 17/18 luck, and perception trained to 75%.

It took me 9 different attempts of searching to find A Brigand's Hideaway in Thieves Forest in New Rigel.. NINE!

By that, I mean I had to let it go through the entire thing 9 different times. and it found it on the 9/10 tick of the ninth try!

Ridiculous.

Only 89 searches? Consider yourself lucky!

Granted it only takes me 30-40 on average with pense :P