Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Site Updates

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:55 PM

Hey all - I'm going to be making some updates to the MM website over the next half day. Please expect a few oddities. I'll announce when I'm finished in this thread. The goal is to update the forum and community area to their latest versions for this version of the content management system, to make it easier for me to migrate us to the new revamped website in the near near future.

Some formatting will change in a few areas and you will notice some new features and some improvements. The formatting will likely be less integrated with the site than it is today because a lot of this is highly customized and since we are updating the site soon there's no real reason to spend a bunch of time re-tweaking things. I will be doing what's necessary for functionality and not making things look repulsive, if that helps ;)

You should also notice some things (such as the forum search) that are working poorly or not working currently, start working again. When I'm done and have announced it, please let me know if you see anything that is clearly broken.

I will also be retiring a few things from the website in the process - primarily turning off functionality that isn't going to be in the new site. That includes the "Store" area, so if you want any of that Materia Magica merch, I suggest you grab it now!

The new site will be simpler and much more mobile friendly, as per my previous thread on the matter.

Regards,
Vassago

#2 Nargrag

Nargrag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:51 PM

Personally I like how the site looks and its features.

But,well,I hope that making it simpler doesn't mean ruin it.....

#3 Yvar

Yvar

Admin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:44 PM

You should also notice some things (such as the forum search) that are working poorly or not working currently, start working again. When I'm done and have announced it, please let me know if you see anything that is clearly broken.

For a vandemaar orb???? Deal

#4 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:50 AM

:D Ok, it took me longer than anticipated but I have updated various components on the site. Some of the templating may look different (e.g., not optimal in a few spots) but that's due to the new versions - the previous templates were highly customized and I don't want to tweak these to death as it just makes it more difficult to update in the future.

That being said, this is just a quick stopgap until the new site is complete, which should be very soon.

Please let me know if you see anything odd or broken on the site. Note: I've also removed some items from the top navigation menu, intentionally.

#5 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:40 AM

(Forum Search works again, as well)

#6 Nargrag

Nargrag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:00 PM

pity for the "links" section..I can't find it..

#7 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:06 PM

I removed that - were you using it? IIRC it was rather outdated.

#8 Nargrag

Nargrag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

I removed that - were you using it? IIRC it was rather outdated.

yep I used that section just for those websites that are useful for quests,locations,etc. like annwn.info for example. I don't remeber the others hehe.

#9 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:07 PM

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll include it in the new site and I've re-activated the page here for now.

#10 Ruthgul

Ruthgul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:48 AM

Not sure if these are intentional:

* To search Gossip and System Updates, you need to be logged in. (Trying to search or filter them while not logged in shows the full list again.)

* All player profiles now default to private / visible only to friends. (Before the change, profiles defaulted to public.)

#11 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:06 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out. Photos have always been friends only,but the profiles themselves aren't supposed to be unless people specifically set them that way. (Photos for the reason that I don't like seeing people's personal pics show up on Google - I block this with robots.txt as well but it's more of a suggestion to the search engines than an actual requirement).