Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Materia Magica Promotions?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kurdock

Kurdock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:18 AM

Hey guys, so I'm rather new around here, but I noticed that despite MM's various features and super interesting quests, our actual number of active players (that is, excluding those on 'social' on WHO) is rather small.

Really, I think there are plenty of people who would enjoy MM. You can level up quickly just by doing quests and gaining Marks, or if you're more of a hack-and-slash person then you can also just grind your way to success. There are also clans, player housing and player shops, PK, a well-built economy system, lots of original areas as well as support for visually impaired players. There's also a 148-page long Adventurers Guide which I have found to be very interesting.

I think one of the reasons for our low-ish playerbase is the lack of proper promotions. Literally, the first thing that appears on a Google Search for 'Materia Magica Top Mud Sites' is that very famous 200k views TMS post titled 'DO NOT PLAY MATERIA MAGICA', and other smaller MM promotional posts fail to actually describe the amount of depth there is here.

So guys, it would be great if more promotions were done to show the mudding world that Materia Magica isn't 'just' another generic mud. Its a custom codebase after all!
  • Gwyllt likes this

#2 Ehlaelt

Ehlaelt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:19 AM

They trying...  from last news they were on PAX and got article on VICE . Not sure about the outcome tho.. Some games actualy charging extra for VIP worlds with less players so you may consider it as benefit :D

I think that making some cool bussiness cards with braille and distribute them to kids at school / dedicated places where VIs are meeting could be good idea too..

Anyway by doing your daily votes you can help a lot 

ErTn4yS.png

• Gwyllt likes this

#3 Iyara

Iyara

Keeper of Lists

• Admins
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:34 PM

funny you should mention that...

Attached File  mm_braille_bus_card.jpg   108.27KB   0 downloads

I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it.

#4 Kurdock

Kurdock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:15 PM

Oh yeah I vote every day (not every 12 hours though)

Why don't we put that link on the login screen? Maybe offer small in-game rewards for voting (Achaea somehow pulled it off)

I was just reading the VICE article yesterday, great job but it failed to truly describe the extensive list of MM's features.

@Iyara What is that?

#5 Iyara

Iyara

Keeper of Lists

• Admins
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:05 AM

The rules on Top Mud Sites used to specifically state you aren't allowed to offer in-game rewards.  So we have never done that and aren't going to start.  At this point I don't believe we have the population to push to the top of that ranking, so I don't think it's worth the hassle of making a concerted effort to win the contest right now.

Sorry, I forgot that the forum software renames images.  That's a picture of a Materia Magica business card with our URL in braille.

#6 Kurdock

Kurdock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:15 PM

--------

"You CANNOT offer incentives or rewards to players for voting. That means you cannot give players items, experience, or anything else in return for votes. You cannot display different messages based on whether someone voted or not, or reward a player for voting by not showing messages.

You CANNOT offer global incentives for rankings such as "double exp this weekend if we are in the top 10"

--------

Hmm, so Achaea goes against their rules? Damn.

Kudos to you guys for respecting those rules though :thumbs up:

However, I actually think we do have the population to push to at least the top 10. I estimate around 20 votes a day is needed to reach that point - not too hard looking at our sizeable population.

At the very least we should be on the #1-20 ranks, because thats the page which most casual mudders go to. Few people go to the #21-40 page. Its like the 2nd page of a Google search.

If you take a look at the TMS ranks now, (it was just reset yesterday) the #20 mud has just 9 "in" votes. The #10 mud has 19. That's not too hard to aim for.

P.S I love the amount of work you guys have done to make MM one of the most VI friendly muds I've seen. Now can we maybe make it more mobile-friendly by perhaps making a Materia Magica app, a bit like what Aardwolf did?

#7 Iyara

Iyara

Keeper of Lists

• Admins
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:14 AM

Now can we maybe make it more mobile-friendly by perhaps making a Materia Magica app, a bit like what Aardwolf did?

Funny you should mention that...

#8 Kurdock

Kurdock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:05 PM

Funny you should mention that...

O_o one is in the making?!