Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

We need a proper classpath guide

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kurdock

Kurdock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:09 AM

↑↑↑↑↑↑

On that note, what are your thoughts on:

Half-Elf Bard-Barbarian-Monk-Druid (in that order)?

- Bard seems like a great first class with access to plenty of cool spells + decent melee skills like backstab + acrobatics and dodge

- A fighter class is very important before moving on to 3rd/4th class, due to second/third attack, enhanced damage etc

- I heard monk/druid is a very good combination?

- Half-Elf has no vulnerabilities and pretty decent stats. However I see Sidhe is mentioned more often for this path? Which would be better?

However, I also heard that bards are a bad first class. Why is this so? Does it greatly affect my character if I play a first class Bard? Would it be better in the long term to start as, say, a Barbarian/Monk?
  • Borask likes this

#2 Borask

Borask

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:51 PM

I haven't played "end game" in awhile, so take this with a grain of salt, but here's what I don't like about that build.

1.  With a few exceptions, I prefer warrior class first.  I just makes first class easier and quicker

2.  With barbian and not ranger you're going to miss out on riding.  Back in the day this was an issue, but I'm not sure how important that is now.

3. No tracking, which can be replaced via donation item (atleast that used to be the case) but be prepared to buy that.  It was always worth it, in my oppinion.

4.  If i were to choose those classes I'd go: Barb, Monk, Druid, Bard.  (side note, if you decide to go bard last, you might want to go rogue instead.  At this point you'll have most of the music skills availabe via different spells.  I don't know anything about knave, but that also might be a viable option.

Hope that helps.

#3 Shinde

Shinde

Class Terraformer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:48 PM

The only long-term issues of your first class is it gets +3 to your prime stat vs +2 for the other classes.  In the end, that is the only real different class order makes.

Warrior is probably the easiest start, given it has strong HP growth, most damage output is passive (and effectively free), and you get some defenses.  That said, a little patience and caution, any class is viable to start with.  If you are going for "optimum" it comes down to stats, not that I suggest focusing on that.  It is more important to pick a class you enjoy playing, no reason to slog though your first class with something you don't enjoy.  

Bard is a bit weaker for a first class as the thief classes have mediocre vital growth, +1 luck isn't a /huge/ deal (+1 str would be more desirable), and its primary skill (music) requires both sp and st to use (which due to only moderate growth rates, can be in short supply) and is very dependent on your instrument's power (higher levels have far more powerful instruments available).  How much any of that bothers you is really up to you and your play style.  If you decide on rogue, the +1 agility is nice (and going rogue first means you will be able to hit 25 agility).

Generally, it is advised to take warrior first or second to capitalize on the warrior HP growth and to get second/third attack, enhanced damage, etc.  However, it is my no means required, and 3rd/4th class leveling will still offer plenty of usage betters.  However, as a wizard/priest, I can tell you it is something that takes patience and some strategy (but I personally would not want to do it any other way, excepting maybe mage/paladin).

Monk/druid is a common combination, they both are cross-archtype classes: Monk is a mage with some cleric skills and druid is a cleric with some mage skills.  Essentially what one is lacking from its archtype is made up for by the other.  You trade word of recall and augment aura for more sp efficient heal and in-combat cp/cd.  You trade a lot of the standard mage spell list for herbalism, martial arts, and to keep cure blind.

#4 Kurdock

Kurdock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:30 AM

The only long-term issues of your first class is it gets +3 to your prime stat vs +2 for the other classes. In the end, that is the only real different class order makes.

Warrior is probably the easiest start, given it has strong HP growth, most damage output is passive (and effectively free), and you get some defenses. That said, a little patience and caution, any class is viable to start with. If you are going for "optimum" it comes down to stats, not that I suggest focusing on that. It is more important to pick a class you enjoy playing, no reason to slog though your first class with something you don't enjoy.

Bard is a bit weaker for a first class as the thief classes have mediocre vital growth, +1 luck isn't a /huge/ deal (+1 str would be more desirable), and its primary skill (music) requires both sp and st to use (which due to only moderate growth rates, can be in short supply) and is very dependent on your instrument's power (higher levels have far more powerful instruments available). How much any of that bothers you is really up to you and your play style. If you decide on rogue, the +1 agility is nice (and going rogue first means you will be able to hit 25 agility).

Generally, it is advised to take warrior first or second to capitalize on the warrior HP growth and to get second/third attack, enhanced damage, etc. However, it is my no means required, and 3rd/4th class leveling will still offer plenty of usage betters. However, as a wizard/priest, I can tell you it is something that takes patience and some strategy (but I personally would not want to do it any other way, excepting maybe mage/paladin).

Monk/druid is a common combination, they both are cross-archtype classes: Monk is a mage with some cleric skills and druid is a cleric with some mage skills. Essentially what one is lacking from its archtype is made up for by the other. You trade word of recall and augment aura for more sp efficient heal and in-combat cp/cd. You trade a lot of the standard mage spell list for herbalism, martial arts, and to keep cure blind.

1) Right. Thanks for the answers. However I read that starting as a mage class is more practice-efficient, is that true?

I also read that the practices required for skill proficiencies scale more with level compared to skill spell, so leaving those melee classes to the end may cost the same as going mage class at 3rd or 4th.

2) I recently only read about leveling vital bonuses, so starting as a warrior means more HP and ST at the end due to the early bonus, starting as a mage means more SP at the end etc. So it might actually be better to start as warrior first because HP is probably the most important vital.

Thief also has the worst vital bonus when they level (1.5x hp that's all) so I figured its best to leave out last?

3) However, I'm experimenting with a Dracon char and I read that its best to start as a Psi because it grants +3 Sanity which means 22 Sanity at Archon, which enables me to wear some cool SP-boosting gear thing. Thoughts?

4) As for monk/druid, I think its too cookie cutter for me heh. Its pretty reagent-light, but I think Dracon Psi/Barb/Sham/Rogue is much better in that area as well because you only need reagents for your Shaman spells, which is fantastic.