Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Suggestion for a client installation guide

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tisane

Tisane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:57 AM

Hi! I'm Tisane, but I used to be better known as Bleisie and Sokeri. I've been playing on and off for ~10 years now and I've recently come back.

I'm not saying this as a newbie, but I am saying this as someone who genuinely loves this game: is it possible to update the client bundles? Or have an installation guide for clients? I love this MUD, but as someone who doesn't practice coding enough, the kind of hoops you have to jump through to get a client to work for you can be sort of a turn off. It'd also be nice, given that OS changes make installing clients a little more difficult than before.

Just from personal experience -- the MUSHClient bundle is buggy (I can go into specifics if you'd like, but that's not the focus of this post), the player-made Mudlet GUI isn't really the easiest to install, and am I wrong in thinking that the Moongate Client has also been down for a while? It just feels like without a strong background with coding and programming, it can be difficult to ascertain why clients don't work. I don't know how I got Portal to work for me 10 years ago, and I sure can't do it now. I don't mean to make this into a "I can't make it work for me, so fix it!" sort of thread, but it is frustrating to have difficulties installing a client for a game that doesn't have any other system requirements otherwise.

I know clients are not exactly MM's responsibility, but I honestly think that a client's accessibility is part of the immersive experience of playing any MUD. I hope that alone makes it something worth considering.

#2 Iyara

Iyara

Keeper of Lists

• Admins
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:18 AM

The MUSHclient bundle IS our responsibility, so we are interested in any problems you have found.  

There shouldn't be any hoops to jump through getting it to work--the process should just be: download the zip, unzip, run the .exe, and it starts up with the basics already loaded. If there have been updates since the package was posted, you are prompted to run the updater.

I'm happy to try to help people get problems sorted out. You can ask here, or email me if that's easier.

iyara@materiamagica.com

• Eledar likes this
I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it.