Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Summon Elemental cost and duration compared to other summons (or, "Wizard just wants a pet")

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Moragar

Moragar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:28 PM

Summon Elemental

*Default affect duration: 2   + 1/90  caster levels     [For you: 4 minutes] [Max: 255 minutes]
*Default affect modifier: 9   + 1/1   caster levels     [For you: +250]

*Consumes 1 air reagent, 1 water reagent, 1 fire reagent, 1 earth reagent, 1 gem reagent, 1 ethereal reagent, 1 a summoning stone when cast.

Swarm

*Default affect duration: 10  + 1/4   caster levels     [For you: 70 minutes] [Max: 255 minutes]

*Consumes 1 astral reagent, 1 gem reagent, 1 ethereal reagent, 1 a summoning stone when cast.

Shadow Golem

*Default affect duration: 10  + 1/4   caster levels     [For you: 70 minutes] [Max: 128 minutes]

*Consumes 1 fire reagent, 3 earth reagents, 1 gem reagent, 1 ethereal reagent when cast.

Find Familiar

*Default affect duration: 30  + 1/3   caster levels     [For you: 110 minutes] [Max: 255 minutes]

*Consumes 1 air reagent, 1 water reagent, 1 fire reagent, 4 earth reagents, 1 gem reagent, 1 ethereal reagent when cast.

I am no expert on any of these spells, but the duration of Summon Elemental seems very low, considering it costs a summoning stone. Was it always this low? (I am envious of golem and familiar.) Consideration must be given that we can summon up to four elementals at once, true, but I still think it could use a boost in duration or removal of the summoning stone. By the time you get some fights going, the summons are almost gone already.

Could a possible compromise be that the first elemental in your formation has a longer duration and/or reduced cost, but any beyond that incurs a penalty? Game-world logic being that the greater number of summons puts a strain on the wizard.

I realize that changing the spell for players might have unintended consequences for NPCs that use the spell (e.g. summoner hunters), so that would have to be kept in mind. Perhaps another approach could be that player wizards would have a unique spell (or maybe reuse Concentration) to increase the next summon duration.

Thanks for any consideration, as I'd love to be able to use this spell more.

Beyond all of this, if anyone knows what the "Default affect modifier" of 250 means for this spell, I'd appreciate hearing it. :)