Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

The way quests are now SUCKS!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
77 replies to this topic

#26 Yagami

Yagami

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 12:37 PM

I really find no problem with the quest system as it is. And people only complained about the system for a short time after the change...until now when someone decided to bring it up again.

Yagami, Just deal with it people.

#27 Guest_echthroi_*

Guest_echthroi_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2001 - 01:01 PM

Why just deal with it if we can complain enough that the imms might just consider giving a little. Sure it might be futile, but why not try? Cant argue that its a waste of time. Playing MM is a waste of time.

#28 Xaren

Xaren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 01:52 PM

Just wondering... would you complain if you didn't get rejections and got those 4-prac quests all the time? Didn't think so. If you're gunna be a quest-monkey, like many of you are (including myself atm), here's a suggestion or two:

1) Don't wait in-game for the timers to deplete. Take note of the time, then kill 10 minutes chatting with friends, reading something interesting online, or even read the rulebook of your favorite pen-n-paper rpg.

2) Make an alt. Throw your quest-monkey in social between quests. I find that this familiarizes you with other aspects of the game you might not've experienced with your human cav/psi by making a drow priest.

3) Do something creative for MM itself. If you feel that the quests are too boring nor not worth the wait, write your own. The MM admin/programmers are always looking for new quests to implement to ease up lil problems like this.

My only suggestions? I'd say... eliminate the timer for those who *do* go out and explore. I figure that if there's some sort of counter keeping track of how close (or far) you are from a better in any given skill, it shouldn't be too hard to implement a sort of "activity meter" that would keep track of the last time you quested (not counting time you were not logged onto the system). That way, people who like to quest between levels, rooting in PG, gather eq, or anything *different* from sitting in the QM's room all day can do quests at their leisure with no rejection, whilst people in qmao-frenzy (questing my arse off :P) would get the timers/rejections as normal.

-((X))-

PS: The QM's even suggest trying another questmaster!

#29 Scrooge

Scrooge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10983 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 01:56 PM

I have yet to hit my 5 quest limit.

Never.

The only reason I know it exists is because you people bitch about it.

So, might I suggest GETTING YOUR ASS OUT OF FIRST CLASS. Quests will take longer, they will be more rewarding and you wont hit your limit at least ONCE A DAY.

#30 Miro

Miro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 02:23 PM

It would be nice to be able to do more quests in each six hour period but it's not going to happen so oh well...and the timer between each quest is rather short so no problem there.

#31 Sotano

Sotano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 02:23 PM

Vass, please don't dignify the charecters who
are whining on this thread with a response.

The 5 quest limit thing is fine it is just you will
have to do something except questing to get
better ats .

That's right folks this game is about more that
questing.

Sotano

#32 Miro

Miro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 02:25 PM

that's blasphemy sotano, but there are other things to do be like santana or something and arena like 500 people every day :)

#33 Botanicus

Botanicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 02:41 PM

i find it funny that so many people seem to have explored everything... do you know Xaventry? Templeton Castle even? for sigil people what about Vesuvious or Volcanus. Atlantis anyone? how about traveller's retreat and twin moon inn?

i haven't been to hellbent or decara yet, for good reason but a decent 2nd classer could probably get into the areas i mentioned, i managed to.

for the more adventurous, how about the faerie plane? or Maldras, Deciet and Pirates Cove? for first classers do you know about Xaventry, New rigel and Tellerium? Vir seems to be almost done, i think it will be a 2nd/3rd class area but i may be mistaken.

as for the quest limit it does make a difference in 1st class and 2nd. but 3rd class i have hit the limit once. that was when i was documenting the sigil quests for the clan.

which leads me to the other thing, if you want to do something productive, look at clan websites and see what they should have onthem. Northstar does not have a mark listing because i don't want to rip off Saga's, we've added some of the places i mentioned to out Sextant pages and are working on a quest index but i can only do so much and as a clan we can only do so much. If you want to do something productive, help clans.

~Bot

#34 Guest_nhym_*

Guest_nhym_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2001 - 02:49 PM

you all have WAY to mucht ime on your ahnds if you play MM for 6hours straight, get a bloody hobby:P

NHHHHHHHYM whitewater kayaking kicks:P

#35 Guest_jayda_*

Guest_jayda_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2001 - 03:12 PM

You don't speak for me either because I think the quest limit is fine the way it is. I will admit that at first I didn't like the change, but I got used to it because MM isn't always about questing everytime you're on. This quest limit encouraged me to explore other places in Alyria while waiting.

To those who are 1st classers, questing is not the only option for 'improving' your character's skills. There are many marks you can get that's has level restrictions that higher levels can't achieve. Check Alyria Online and look for those easy marks that are designed for level 60 or below. That'll boost your practices while waiting for the quest limit timer.

Boohoohoo.
Jayda

#36 Guest_brainbash_*

Guest_brainbash_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2001 - 03:14 PM

I was told that the quest timers/delays were put in place to prevent people from quest botting. This is restricting the many because of the few who refuse to follow the rules. I would put a 5 minute delay between quests and get rid of the max quests per day. I would also delete any character who is caught botting in any way. No if/and or but about it. GET RID. The majority should never have to suffer because of the actions of a few!

I would also modify the action timers to be 20 seconds ONLY instead of a random number from 10 to 512 or what ever it is. This delay is intended to prevent conversations within public channels but most people dont do this, yell is usually used to get help. Someone yells a question, gets a response and now has to wait for the timer to count down. By this time any further questioning is completely out of context. A simple 20 second delay would prevent undue lag cause by shout botting and would keep a players line of questioning in context.

If a person is caught abusing shout etc...... DELETE!!! Again, no if and or but about it.

Any time a player is caught abusing ANYTHING at all in the game he/she should be deleted. This would go a long way towards discouraging abuse and would get rid of the reason for all these arbitary restrictions being placed on player actions etc.

just my 2 bits...

#37 Sotano

Sotano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 03:18 PM

Actually Miro it is hypocracy. I quest a lot. :-)

However, exploring is quite rewarding. There
are a lot of places I have been to, a few that I
know well, and others not so well. There are a
lot of places I haven't been to.

#38 Guest_brodieman_*

Guest_brodieman_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2001 - 03:24 PM

And besides... aren't we all just a little sick of seeing people questwhore at level 60/120 for years on end? *shrug* I don't speak for everyone, but I know I am...

#39 Squal

Squal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 03:44 PM

If someone chooses to quest all his live let him!
who cares if you dont have the patient to do that dont blame it on other people.

Make the timer 20 quest a rl day not every 6 hour

Squal

#40 Keman

Keman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 04:23 PM

actually the 20 per day sounds really really good, get the 20 quests done and you know you won't get quests for a while so you can go out and do stuff till the next day.

#41 Guest_thizual_*

Guest_thizual_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2001 - 04:37 PM

I'd have no problems with a 20 quest/rl day limit, I'd have no problems with a 15 quest/rl day limit, but I have a few questions about the system now:

1) Why do I have to waste my real life time getting denied 100 times in a row (not an exaggeration)? I do not normally have 250 minutes to sit down and wait for some assinine section of code to attempt to bash my ego. I am in college, that 250 minutes of my time corresponds to rougly $50 worth of tuition...I'd rather have the money from that time (and I do have a job that pays that well) to donate to MM, and I hope vassago would as well.

2) Why can I only quest 5 times in a 6 hour period? I know its to preven botting or something or some junk, but we all know that even if there's no TIME limit on quests, just a numerical limit, that players would not have to sit around on their arses waiting for some timer to count down. It's ok if you are memorizing Organic Chemistry, but why not just allow all 20 from the day to be done at once...so I don't have to sit down at a computer 4 times a day to get them in (for a minimum of 40 minutes nonetheless).

3) What do you think about making a donation item to circumvent this? Just a thought...cheers.

Thizual

#42 Keman

Keman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 04:39 PM

31 Gem of Vanya Gives a random number of practice points when used (90-135) Inventory 1 use Unlimited $25
32 Gem of Mithra Gives a random number of quest points when used (2000-4000) Inventory 1 use Unlimited $25

i'd go make that 50 bucks :)

#43 Helmsley

Helmsley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2830 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 07:17 PM

no replies for the quests i send in.. that sux...

#44 Guest_akyra_*

Guest_akyra_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2001 - 07:27 PM

Sometimes it takes the Imms a LONG time to respond to quest submissions.

#45 Guest_surchir_*

Guest_surchir_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2001 - 07:55 PM

You know I was thinking about people who are not online except the weekend perhaps everytime a person is not doing a quest for a six hour period it would extend your quest limit by one up to say 15 quests. After you use your extra's quest for not logging in and questing it resets itself to it's normal operation then. As for the refusal, I believe it refuses if all quest for your level are currently taken or the one availible to you, you just completed perhaps if that is true they should take away the redunacy checker.

=Just A thought
Surchir Thunderfoot the earthcaller.

#46 Guest_alysa_*

Guest_alysa_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2001 - 08:04 PM

If we balanced quest rewards out a bit, and left timers as they were, we'd get less people hitting the timer, and also a more sensible balance of questing and levelling.

My suggestion:

1st class quests - give 0 prac's in around 90-95% of cases. Leave the odd exceptionally tough 1st class quest giving 1 prac.
2nd class reduce rewards to half to a third. Around 1-3 pracs would make a good 2nd class average.
3rd class leave pracs just as it is.
4th class - add an extra 50% pracs average.

People should quest for qp's, not pracs. The practice reward should be a bonus which is a {genuine} reflection on quest difficulty (not difficulty/level - but difficulty alone). Bear in mind that higher levels quests take longer, than lower level quests. (Tangent: Actually that is one of the better balance reasons for maintaining the limit - it prevents a 1st class quest whore from obtaining greater rewards than an archon)

Alternative Suggestion:
Remove ALL practice rewards from quests. And make people live on level up bonuses, marks, and Vandy Orbs.

Alternative Suggestion 2:
Remove the visible practice rewards from quests, and add a small chance of players obtaining a practice reward upon completion.

This post is also known as: If you knew what you were talking about, you'd quit whining.

'lys

#47 Miro

Miro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 08:21 PM

ok the practice system is perfectly fine leave it alone, vass has already made a system that works fine so leave it alone

and alysa just because a first classer can hit 5 quests doesn't mean they have better rewards, best possible scenario in first class is like 30 practices and that scenario is well near impossible, now u tell me how many practices u get from archon and fourth class quests.

#48 Guest_alysa_*

Guest_alysa_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2001 - 08:25 PM

*pat Miro*

Thank you for trying to read my post. Now try again.

'lys

#49 Prandur

Prandur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 November 2001 - 08:25 PM

even though it pains me to say this

i like squals idea

#50 Miro

Miro