Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

questing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

#1 Luke

Luke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 12:55 PM

Hi Vassago, i am Luke i was thinking about why the quest limit was put into place and i asked lassara about it. Shea told me it was put in for people to go out and explore the world. I believe and so does everyone else that a good way to have a 5 quest limit is to put it so you can do 5 quests at each quest master that is a good way for people to explore and quest. Thank you so much for you time.
Sincerely,
Luke

#2 Ryechaser

Ryechaser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2861 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 12:58 PM

people wouldn't explore the world then... they'd just do quests at different places... I could get like 200+ practs a day... do you know how easy it'd be to max skills/spells?

#3 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 04:19 PM

It's true, they would just devise some method of transporting between questmasters and wouldn't go anywhere else. The other reason the quests are limited is because there are a limited number of quests.

#4 Yagami

Yagami

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 08:10 PM

Vassago, they wouldn't need to DEVISE anything. You already have. The quest gemstones that you can get at the questmasters are readily available to powerquesters.

Yagami

#5 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 08:20 PM

I'm not sure of your point of that post except to argue with me for no reason :)

#6 Guest_kineth_*

Guest_kineth_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2002 - 08:33 PM

Well you did call us all conniving lazy bastards who don't want to explore and will find ways around it :P

#7 Reechani

Reechani

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 08:47 PM

You mean you aren't?

#8 Herculoid

Herculoid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 08:48 PM

Players quest to gain pracs and qp so they could build a strong character and explore with less worry and more confidence. Same reason even if they go into PK. Obviously when you have a max out character you have more confidence. Just facts. So to quote ppl just wanna quest and not explore is wrong.

-=Herc=-

#9 Roca

Roca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 June 2002 - 10:50 AM

IMHO if characters (at least one of them)explored and mapped an area before ramping up the quest machine, there would be considerably less yells about "Where is the crimson guard? What town is
(insert mob or item) located in?"

I remember mapping Vospire when I realized I had no idea where the exits were. After mapping it I was amazed at how simple a layout it is!

I don't buy the "I have to quest before I explore" for that very reason. It's a huge contribution to yells and if you've been around a while you'll have heard "where are the rats? Where is the library? Can someone help me kill the goblin slayer?" After a while in Sigil you can't help being annoyed. :evil:

[b]Please make an effort to explore the area before you yell out for the easy answer. Thank
you for your patience (both in exploring and in reading my tirade. :lol:

#10 Guest_kineth_*

Guest_kineth_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2002 - 11:35 AM

Odds are that the people that yell for help as you suggest prolly won't be reading this board.

#11 Ryechaser

Ryechaser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2861 posts

Posted 27 June 2002 - 01:24 PM

Theres nothing wrong with asking about one phase of a quest... What annoys me is when someone askes for a quest and cuts and pastes every phase to yell and then askes for someone to form with who will do it for them... or when they want you to explain to them how to do every phase of every quest... There is nothing wrong with asking for help, but I think its better if you at least find some of it on your own, and remember the phase or two that you did ask, so that you don't have to ask again.

#12 Guest_widan_*

Guest_widan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2002 - 09:36 PM

What about limiting us to 10 quests per 2 MM days instead of 5 per 1 MM days so us folk who can't log on both in the morning and at night have a chance. BUT! Since this would make things too much easier for powerquesters, why not have a maximum of 3 quests per timeblock per master? (so to do 10 quests you might do 3 with Agrippa, 3 with Telleri, 2 with Vashir, and 2 with Undya). This would force some exploration and not give any huge benefit above the current system for the people with too much spare time.

Another way to encourage exploration, perhaps, would be to make the Quest Masters occasionally go on "vacation" as a group and leave perhaps just Lord Maldra dealing out quests. Instead of completing quests, to get their stuff while the QMs are out, the questers could perform one larger quest with larger rewards (for example, visit every room in Wroth/Avarice/Deceit/Hellbent and kill one of each Mob there).

And.. er... why the heck is this thread in "Announcements?" :roll:

#13 Guest_alysa_*

Guest_alysa_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2002 - 04:49 AM

visit every room in Wroth/Avarice/Deceit/Hellbent and kill one of each Mob there).

That Hellbent quest would rock :wink:

#14 Guest_ruddler_*

Guest_ruddler_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2002 - 05:03 PM

So why is there a quest timer then? Let us do the 5 quests in a row then we can go out and explore! To much dead time on this MUD anyway.

#15 Terror

Terror

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 05:47 AM

Hmm, random thought. I miss the old global quests, they seemed to be more benficial and more devoted to RP. Maybe thats because im remeber the old ones, when i was just starting back to the game. Regardless, my rambling thought is that we should have a global quest that removes the quest limit, for that day. Or.. maybe one week a year, for your real addicts out here vass. :>

T

#16 Elitewarrior

Elitewarrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 07:20 AM

Ok, personally i really think there shouldnt be a timer or limit to questing, but if you have really been around the game long enough, you should know that vass isnt going to change anything about questing, ONLY because we want him to. If by any chance he does change anything about questing, he'd do it on free will, or when someone makes some good quests(then he might be forced to change something about questing) so just quit argueing the point, your going to lose! But if i did have a say in it, i think there shouldn't be a timer or limit. For one reason only! If you want us to explore, the best way to do it, is questing. the rewards or motivation for exploring, so if anything changes i think the rewards should, they are still too damn low! but hey it'll never happen so just stop argueing!!!

#17 Raistlin

Raistlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 04:05 PM

Change the Healing Room back to how it was! :(

#18 Antrel

Antrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 04:20 PM

Limitted number of quests, eh? Hmm...strange that I get atleast 5 of the same quest a day...could there be a repetition wizard on the loose?? May I smite him?? :P

The quest limit sucks, simply put. Everyone hates it except the archon outlaws who get nothing from cpk because more and more people were getting ST's and Trunks. "Waaah, I can't web these newbs in CPK, and when I do and kill them, I get nothing." Also, most 3.2 chars simply HATE the idea of some people getting it as easy as they did when it came to practicing. Come on...80 pracs to train a non-primary stat up? 5 - 6 practice cost in fourth class? And now you're limitted our practice intake with the quest limit, bravo.

Honestly, there are only two things Vassago has done that I simply don't understand. Number one being the quest limit; number two being lowering the leveling up bonuses for a few months. He corrected the second one (Thankies), but there's still the limit. We're at our class level limit, we can't level for practices. What the hell do you waaaant? Should we go look for those ever so common Vandy orbs and those equally common manuals?

Let us develop at a pace that doesn't take us a long-ass time. GRANTED, developing a character should be a struggle, BUT being able to compete at the top would be nice, rather than being stuck developing and developing.

Yeah, let's go exploring! Dum dee dum, look, the Magencia! Dum deeeeee dee dum, let's kill some things, I'm second class! :D Time to kill the harpy for the alli necklace! Ooooooooooooh dear, I've been paralyzed :( Dammit, I just died. That's it, I'm exploring somewhere else. Duuuum dee dee. Ahh, Xaventry is wonderful, let's explore Gath's temple! Hmm, PK...but no one's here...let's go! Lots of creatures in here...I wonder if I can find Ga- OH DEAR! Not an archon outlaw who has no sympathy for those far weaker than he! Dammit...I died again...Hey, let's go to thorne and sell equipment since people are lazy! Duuuum dee dee. Whee, +3 agility scorption shield! *AUCTION!* Whee, sold for 10,000 gp. I'm rollin' in the dough now. Oh yeah, I just sold 5 for 50,000, but now I'm getting bored of just sitting here, off to Rune I go! *Quest request* Dammit, I still have to wait for quest limit to reset. Duuuuuuuuuuuum dee dum dum. Might as well root...*Cross ocean, get killed in moat in CPK* Ugh. That's it, I'm just going to sit in the audience chamber.

I know, I'm a moron. But seriously, if you want us to explore, don't take away development opportunities just so we do it. It's rediculous. I could get a group of friends together and write a couple hundred quests, would you change the limit then? Probably not...bottom line, there is no REAL reasoning to having the quest limit, besides maybe to be oppressive.

#19 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 04:59 PM

I think you should test your theory. Write a couple hundred "good" quests, and submit them.

#20 Antrel

Antrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 05:37 PM

Dammit...shouldn't have said that >.< But do you see the validity of my point?? There's only so much exploring you can do without being bored! You know 'Whoa, there's a statue', not quite so entertaining :( And with the development points...

I'll get those quests done if it means getting rid of quest limit :D

maybe..

#21 Toven

Toven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 05:52 PM

heh, get those donation dollars racked up

#22 Guest_alysa_*

Guest_alysa_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2002 - 06:02 PM

Antrel never actually played 3.2, obviously.

#23 Elitewarrior

Elitewarrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 06:12 PM

Hey someone tell me how to write quests and send em in :P i could use the donation dollars! :mrgreen:

#24 Yagami

Yagami

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 06:14 PM

See the 'Merchandise' button at the top? Put your mouse over it and click on 'Donation Dollars.' I'm assuming you are using a browser that doesn't mess up the bars.

Yagami

#25 Antrel

Antrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 06:21 PM

Quote : Also, most 3.2 chars simply HATE the idea of some people getting it as easy as they did when it came to practicing.

Alysa, everyone knows that leveling was a bitch in 3.2, but practicing was waaaaaaay easier. You didn't have to invest 300+ practices in training a profiency to 75%. Instead you could invest like 20 - 30 pracs (Please forgive me, I'm sketchy on that, I know it was a HELL of a lot less than 300) into getting it to the second highest rank (master being the first through use). And then 20 pracs to train a score point up...the only thing that took up a relatively large amount of practices was training your hp/sp/st up.