Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

Photo
- - - - -

Web Page Contest 2003

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

#51 Castlelandd

Castlelandd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 10:51 AM

*Castlelandd scores a point by ripping bortaz's head off and dropping it down into a bottomless chasm*

#52 Castlelandd

Castlelandd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 09:48 PM

will this ever happen?

#53 Guest_lothos_*

Guest_lothos_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2003 - 06:32 AM

Yeah, when the Void freezes over!

#54 Guest_caelasar_*

Guest_caelasar_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2003 - 06:39 AM

There's nothing to be frozen there.

#55 Moostafa

Moostafa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2235 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 07:56 PM

exactly

#56 Vassago

Vassago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7968 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 01:05 AM

I am still wanting to have one this year, I just do not have the time or the money to throw this contest at this point in time.

#57 Antrel

Antrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 07:52 AM

I say recycle the one from last year and keep the DD rewards. Not to seem like a jerk or anything, but a lot of people don't like Harry Potter or even novelties all that much (though I'm sure many do as well), and with DD's, that's a reward everyone can appreciate.

#58 Extemper

Extemper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4096 posts

Posted 17 August 2003 - 09:32 AM

Antrel made it too blunt I think.
You shouldn't have to spend your rl money on this stuff when you can't, It would be wonderful for there to be really great prizes and this and that. But if all that is stopping us from having a contest, it is not worth it.
Those that truly dedicated themselves to their sites would not worry over such things (prizes). It is more about having their accomplishments recognized :).
Anyway do what you can vas.

#59 Guest_lothos_*

Guest_lothos_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2003 - 10:33 AM

I think in-game rewards like gold, qp, practices etc would be enough. He could always charge an "entry fee" and then whatever is collected given out to the winners.

#60 Guest_zarath_*

Guest_zarath_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2003 - 10:57 PM

What the hell, why was my post deleted? There was nothing wrong with it.

I said the exact same thing as the previous 3 posts. Just recycle last year's rules and prizes. I don't think anyone is going to be upset if they don't get RL rewards and if that was your plan, you can always do it next year when the cashflow is better.

As for the time, I don't think a lot of this would be required either, not if you just recycle last years.

At least this way everyone that's been waiting over 2 months for it to be announced would be satisfied. :)

Zarath

#61 Raistlin

Raistlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 12:38 AM

How about if a player or two decides to 'host' this, putting up some of their items as a reward, with possible 'sponsorship' from the imms for a vandy orb or so? Meaning, let the immortals offer the prizes, but let the mortal(s) worry about everything else?

#62 Guest_zarath_*

Guest_zarath_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2003 - 12:51 AM

That would ahve to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. All it would do is make the competition even MORE biased than it already is... Clearly no winner would ever actually be a winner since the judges would be picked by the people running it who would no doubt be friends with such and such.

On top of that, the rewards would hardly be worth it. A couple of vandy orbs? Hah.

Zarath

#63 Guest_lothos_*

Guest_lothos_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2003 - 12:55 AM

I was going to post that but didn't :D

#64 Raistlin

Raistlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 12:57 AM

How about somebody who couldn't give a rat's ass what webpage one? Would they be biased, or not? ;)

#65 Guest_zarath_*

Guest_zarath_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2003 - 01:02 AM

I'm sure you mean won... and good luck finding people with aboslutely no bias what so ever. I doubt anyone on this game is such a person.

Don't claim you are, because I'm sure you're still friends with certain people, and don't like other certain people.

Zarath

#66 Raistlin

Raistlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 01:10 AM

Yea, I did mean 'won', but I'm slightly tired.

I never said that I was the biased one. As for me being friends with certain people, you'd have to mention their names for me to know wtf you're talking about. If you mean AO.. Scrooge I hate, Saga is always fun to bug, and Darkmagic is a weird freak who withholds secrets!@ Demonblood doesn't technically work there anymore, so.. yea. As for KoC, Knightotri is kind of fun to talk to, but when you're in PK with him, watch out. Lothos, is a complete jackass to me, and a waste of human skin. I don't know anybody from the Clan Darkness webpage, so I can't comment on you guys :P
I'm not biased, I hate everybody equally :P

Anyways, it's not that hard to find people who aren't completely biased. Every single immortal who plays this game, has a mortal who has their own dispositions for people. But, they put aside their like/dislike of people to judge the contest fairly. It shouldn't be too hard to find people of the same caliber, especially if DD or something was offered.

#67 Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3673 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 08:46 PM

Well I hate you and lothos equally, so i could do it..

#68 Olf

Olf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1765 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 08:50 PM

I think you forgot how far the prizes went down to.

#69 Extemper

Extemper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4096 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 09:07 PM

Plus it loses it's entire appeal. The whole officialness of it.
Proudly display the symbol of first place yada yada.
Whatever happens, happens. Contest no contest.

#70 Bortaz

Bortaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 07:18 PM

I'd be the perfect judge, because I hate every one of you. But, since I hate every one of you, I'd make a crappy judge, and wouldn't waste my time.

#71 Guest_zarath_*

Guest_zarath_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2003 - 12:52 AM

Heh,

I'll announce the official rules at least a month before the turn-in deadline, so in May sometime.

from the original post. That was 3 months ago, you did promise us a timeline and it's completely abolished. Our suggestions have been perfectly reasonable and you haven't even responded. -_-

How slack.

#72 Guest_lothos_*

Guest_lothos_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2003 - 07:29 AM

I say give the guy a break for once :P

#73 Guest_anildor_*

Guest_anildor_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2003 - 07:17 PM

Whats a fitchel wand...i'm 14 don't laugh! :evil:

#74 Unbeliever

Unbeliever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3673 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 12:56 PM

You are all like kids, grow up and try using adult language.

#75 Rhodoran

Rhodoran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 07:57 PM

I didnt know what the wand was either, so I clicked the link vass provided in the original post and found out. Looks cool.

A good bit ago before the flaming, there were concerns about objectivity. I think there are people on the game that can, will, and have been able to be objective for a contest like this. I lucked out and was asked to judge last year. They provided a set of criteria to judge on a scale and asked that you include any comments good or bad to expand the criteria. Yes, some of my friends I judged harshly because they had a crappy design and yes some people I didnt give 2 poos about I judged better because it was obvious they put alot of time and effort into their site. As long as you're careful about who does the picking and review comments, objectivity can be attained.

I look forward to the site being announced as I know many people are working and keeping the 'good stuff' secret and unlinked until the contest. But it'll come when it comes like most other stuff.