Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

- - - - -

Story contest.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_alysa_*

Guest_alysa_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2003 - 08:01 PM

OK. There are regular pk contests, I'll put something in for different thinkers.

Pure fiction, {must} be Alyria oriented.

4 Categories - pick 1 each. I'm awarding 1,250,000 for best per category - an additional 5 mill to the best overall (making that a 6,250,000 prize) out of my own pocket. For a lot of you, this is probably the best chance you'll ever get to have anything from me.

From each category, I will cull down to a shortlist of three. Both category winners, and overall winner will be chosen independantly.

The categories are:- Fire, Water, Air, Earth.

I'll give further details at a later date - I'm giving you a month for this one.

A hint: I'm not retentive about the subject - it's for inspiration, not for imprisonment. Be creative.

#2 Mikee

Mikee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 08:58 PM

sweet. count me in.

#3 Ohlmin

Ohlmin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 02:45 AM

I'm in, as well.

#4 Guest_alysa_*

Guest_alysa_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2003 - 06:51 AM

Just a bit more for you...

I'm not bothered about word length. I'm very much against any restrictions on the creative process. Do whatever works for you. Utilise a little common sense, and try not to scare off the judges, k? Make it too hard for them, and they may not give you due consideration :wink:

All winning entries will be hosted, both here, and on Alyria Online.

All winning entries become the property of Ingenii Interactive.

I'll give a few submission specifics in a week or two, give you a chance to get something written first. Any queries, send them to me via all the normal channels.

#5 Pika

Pika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1637 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 07:58 AM

since when has AO shared webcontent with MM!?
(other than stealing it)
i'd like confirmation from an immortal that materia magica is giving content away to alyria online, or vice versa.

and due to alyria online's vulnerabilities as of late, will game information continue to be shared on an administrative level with such known vulnerable websites?

#6 Guest_glave_*

Guest_glave_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2003 - 08:24 AM

nice pika
god forbid people who play the game have a website other than mm....any site that had a mm based purpose is stealing SOMTHING from mm even your little clannie pages you guys have...so take your little complaints and find somthing worth complaining about.

"i want confirmation from a immortal" BLA BLA

#7 Redemption

Redemption

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1570 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 09:23 AM

I don't know if I'll have the change of writing anything down, but still I'd like to know if it matters if you mix any category's up or use all fourt of them?

#8 Redemption

Redemption

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1570 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 09:34 AM

Alysa?
will all the written stories somehow be published?
(unless the author doesn't want to of course)

I'm very curious on what people will write and I'd really enjoy reading their story's.

#9 Haddock

Haddock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 02:48 PM

I'm in too. This story is gonna be so pimp.

#10 Guest_miasma_*

Guest_miasma_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2003 - 03:58 PM

This is good. Positive use of one's memntal prowess.

#11 Omicron

Omicron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 05:25 PM

Pika, reread your post. Afterwards, read it again. Notice how childish you sound.

#12 Shinyumo

Shinyumo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 06:37 PM

Alright, I'm in.

#13 Murasaki

Murasaki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 06:46 PM

Writting is my life so I supose this is a nice contest for me. Must find inspiration...which for some strange reason has not hit me yet. *waits to be hit* I'll go play MM. Should help inspiration(yeah right, just another excuse to play instead of doing homework...).

#14 Guest_alysa_*

Guest_alysa_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2003 - 07:08 PM

Pika: Darling, chill. AO was always intended to have rights to this contest. I was one of the many information sources back in the early days that made it what it is. Personal issues have changed my relationship with the site, but I {am} still fond of it, and I {will} always offer things to Saga when opportunity permits.

After having expressly stated my desire to host on AO, Vassago has enquired about posting winners on this site. As far as I'm concerned that is EVERY SINGLE BIT HIS RIGHT. It is his game, I'm inviting stories ABOUT his milieu. He wishes a little bit of copyright security, fine - I'm not interested in legal wrangling. I would note that I've limited his disclaimer to contest winners. That does not apply to anything sent direct.

This is {not} about the game, site issues, personal issues, whatever. This is a contest supplied by ME, out of MY pocket. I would have expected a little respect, out of you at least. :roll:

#15 Guest_lukelance_*

Guest_lukelance_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2003 - 07:11 PM

Rofl, you are all getting screwed over ROYALLY if you send this in. If you noticed, the website takes stories of certain minimum lengths for Donation Dollars, worth far more than a mere 1,250,000 gold. She takes ALL of the stories and submits them, she's out 10 million gold but in a pooload of donation dollars. I think it's pretty funny if a bunch of people participate though.

#16 Guest_alysa_*

Guest_alysa_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2003 - 07:18 PM

Redemption:

No.

I know, there are millions of possibilities for mix and match stories. I'm not after a general 'elemental' story. I'm after one more specific. I'm adverse to restricting style, so I won't. I will however restrict topic, to allow a little range.

It isn't any guarantee, at such an early stage. But personally, I hope that the subject breakdown should create a completely different style of entry within each category. I do hope so, not only will it make judging categories more interesting - because it won't be same old, same old. But, it will also make picking an ultimate winner really difficult. The closer the decision is for the judges, the better this contest will have been, imho.

As for future posting: If an entry doesn't win - under the current specifications, the author owns all rights to their story. They are free to do as they wish. Submit it to admin, absolving all intellectual rights... save it until another contest... whatever. If you don't win, that story remains YOUR intellectual property, to edit/amend/submit as you see fit. I promise after this contest is over, all entries will be erased at my end.

#17 Guest_alysa_*

Guest_alysa_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2003 - 07:26 PM

Lukelance:

You bitter cynic. Read the donation dollars page. You submit a story - they refuse to print it, they still have exclusive rights to do whatever the hell they want with that story. As Helmsley would say 'sux2bu'.

We won't even go down the road of actually looking at how many stories have been posted because of submissions.

You don't wanna take part, don't. I don't want to give you my money anyway.

#18 Guest_glave_*

Guest_glave_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2003 - 08:59 PM

jesus
what is it with people taking such interest in such a little thing....someone becomes bored and makes a contest...and all the morons come out of the woodwork to find some way to tear it apart.........so send your story here and to the chronicles......think before you write.... :mrgreen: duh

#19 Citadel

Citadel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 09:37 AM

so since you said it doesnt HAVE to be over the elemental thingy what are the other restrictions?
cuz i've been writing a story for over a month about a war between elves and drows, and was just wondering if i can even submit it.

#20 Sylvaer

Sylvaer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 10:08 AM

Hey :)

Next person that decides to badger Alysa because she has decided to organize a game event, gets their posts deleted.

Alysa has dicsussed this with the admin of MM, and we fully support her and have offered assistance.

Alot of you need to take a chill pill or 10 or at the very least think about your posts before you hit submit.

Sylv

#21 Vedric

Vedric

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 01:07 PM

Can I write a story about how Omicron and Citadel are nerds?

#22 Guest_necrovik_*

Guest_necrovik_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2003 - 01:29 PM

Vedric, your post is irrelevant and it just shows everyone how stupid you sound.

#23 Guest_rowena_*

Guest_rowena_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2003 - 03:53 PM

Hmm...

I suppose my question (and it is a question, not a rant) is if let's say by some chance my story were to win - would it be posted the same way a donation dollar story would be? If so, who, if anyone, gets those donation dollars. Doesn't it make sense that the author could have the choice of making it a DD story as well, thus allowing MM the rights but the author the chance to get the DD for the story?

Rowena ~*~

#24 Olf

Olf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1765 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 04:18 PM

Alyrian Chronicle, count me in to write a report about writing a cool story for Alysa!

#25 Ovelia

Ovelia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 04:31 PM

8O
Ooh sounds like fun! :mrgreen: