Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums.

- - - - -

Story contest.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#26 Geobog

Geobog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2491 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 05:02 PM

*looks around shiftily...*

*badgers Alysa and runs off*

Let's see what I can do. I wonder how well everyone else writes...?

#27 Tuck

Tuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 06:37 PM

i am game.

#28 Guest_alysa_*

Guest_alysa_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2003 - 07:13 PM

Lukelance: You may not have noticed, but chronicle submissions are subject to the same restrictions as admin submissions. Submission = loss of rights.

As for how trustworthy I am, I'm old school enough to allow my reputation to stand for itself. I'm a complete bitch, and damn proud of it. I've always supported people that sting people as a result of foolish decisions. But I have {always} kept my word, and I have {always} preached a desired honesty amongst others. I can't personally achieve the latter, nor ever expect to - but I will maintain the former. It's impossible for me to prove my integrity.

#29 Tyben

Tyben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5308 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 09:42 PM

It shouldn't be about money anyways. It should be about creation/art.

#30 Guest_alysa_*

Guest_alysa_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2003 - 09:53 PM

If this is successful, I might possibly try one just for creativity, with no money involved. I bet that would have a fantastic response. :lol:

#31 Murasaki

Murasaki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 10:33 PM

*raise eyebrow* *distributes chill pills* Who cares about money. It's a, friendly, competition. I also have a question. Can we decide not to submit it but still show the story? The story I have planned would unfortunatly be too much mine to risk winning. Murasaki is in fact a character I was trying to develop through this game(it worked very well). Cannot accept to give up any rights of mine on it as it has a part to play in my novel. But I have a feeling it'll turn out nicely if I write it. I'll just change the places' names to MM names to fit this setting.

#32 Guest_alysa_*

Guest_alysa_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2003 - 06:56 AM

Murasaki: No. It's something Vassago happens to take very seriously, you you'd pretty much preclude yourself.

And if you're after proof-reading, I normally get paid for that :P

#33 Guest_alysa_*

Guest_alysa_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2003 - 06:59 AM

btw: Rather tasty contribution toward the prize fund from Peanut, who is an absolute darling. :D

Prizes now stand at 1.5mill per bracket, +6 mill to the overall winner.

#34 Guest_alysa_*

Guest_alysa_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2003 - 07:01 AM

I'd also like to point out I'm far better at proof-reading other peoples work, than I am my own. Quite obviously :oops:

#35 Solus

Solus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7574 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 01:35 PM

Umm, i dont really understand what you mean by elements, are those just meaningless names given to the catagory?

Also, a while ago, i wrote a story about npk battle i had. Would that be an acceptable submission for the contest? (just for note, aside from my name and a mob's name, no other names are mentioned) :?:

#36 Guest_alysa_*

Guest_alysa_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2003 - 07:27 PM

Solus: At no stage have I indicated that stories are to me about the 'elements'. 4 distinct categories, all of which happen to be an element. Elements happen to be a surrounding theme, not a specific one.

Trying to generalise will count against you. The individual categories grant tremendous scope. My personal inclination will probably count poorly against people that take things too literally. Each of the four categories is a single word, it should be treated as that single word, and not treated as part of that group - to do so would be to limit yourself, and that would count against the creative process. You would be punishing yourself.

#37 Johnnymario

Johnnymario

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 10:17 PM

Hey when we write our story where do we send it to? Can we have an email accont or sumtin? When is this story due?

And for all of you who are tearing this apart please stop it. I myself looked at what has been done and I said, DARN! I wish I thought of this. I hope all of you who are complaining put your ideas on paper and write a story with all of that junk your coming up with to slam this contest. I hope all of you write one, because with minds that can come up with that, woud write story worthy of competition... COUNT ME IN!!!

#38 Guest_alysa_*

Guest_alysa_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2003 - 07:06 AM

I'll give a few submission specifics in a week or two, give you a chance to get something written first.

#39 Guest_robyn_*

Guest_robyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2003 - 02:57 AM

oops

alysa:

i emailed you a submission before i read your last post. i'll re-send correctly after you explain the process.

#40 Eriana

Eriana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 02:40 PM

"I know, there are millions of possibilities for mix and match stories. I'm not after a general 'elemental' story. I'm after one more specific. I'm adverse to restricting style, so I won't. I will however restrict topic, to allow a little range."

"My personal inclination will probably count poorly against people that take things too literally."

So not general and not literal? Perhaps some boundaries would be nice for those of us who might still be a bit confused? :D
Eriana

#41 Guest_alysa_*

Guest_alysa_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2003 - 06:13 PM

General: As in an all element story does {not} fit my criteria.

Literal: You want to write a story with a literal 'water' aspect. Fine, it fits, it will be treated as a valid entry. Potentially, that category (as does each of the others) has much more scope. A story about seamanship is a 'water' story. A story about a storm has a 'water' aspect. I've set broad subjects, deliberately. Creative opportunity is what makes story-telling worthwhile.

#42 Sojourner

Sojourner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 04:37 PM

Ok, I'd just like to know who gets the DD :P No offense to anyone, but that point seems to be continually asked and ignored.

#43 Salanth

Salanth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1329 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 04:52 PM

The AUTHOR of the story gets the DD.

#44 Salanth

Salanth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1329 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 04:14 AM

How many are competing? Have any submissions been sent yet?

#45 Salizar

Salizar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 02:53 PM

Since its close to your given deadline.. 5/10 , where do we send the submission, or is it the e-mail given before still ? I think I got one that'll do OK...... like to give it a try.

#46 Guest_alysa_*

Guest_alysa_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2003 - 05:32 PM

Salizar: Submission details are here